SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tamara_ballou99

Advice for hiding kitchen exhaust ductwork in a log home.

Whomsoever
4 years ago

We are having discussion of where to place kitchen exhaust for cooktop over kitchen island. We have options of overhead hood vent or downdraft. We prefer the overhead(we read all the Houzz debates). Only dilemma is the exhaust vent will be directly over the kitchen window. It will be a 6" metal vent (not the plastic louvered). I just hate the look of it being seen from the exterior of our Saltbox log home. It's the first thing we will see coming into the driveway. We have discussed building an awning above the window and hiding the vent. Then it also raises the question, is it structurally ok to cut a 6" hole above a window in a log home? Previous owners had no vents at all in kitchen and it was a greasy awful mess. We gutted everything I mean walls and all and started over. The only option for the 36" cooktop was in the island. We do alot of cooking and canning. Looking back I should have chosen a 30" slide in. But so hated not having enough space for larger pots. We could do a Cattura downdraft and go through the floor and vent it out under the deck. But the overhead seemed so much easier and more efficient. Can we use a box shape exhaust instead of round and place it between the overhead beams. Then maybe cover it with a tongue and groove lumber? But I just hated seeing the vent outside above the window. The scaffolding is there for our window installer.

Comments (11)