SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_macri

Critique my floor plan? 1,350 sq ft, 3 bed 2 bath

Stephanie Macri
4 years ago

I've been in love with tiny houses and optimized floor plans for over a decade at this point, and while I still love them, I've married a wonderful man who's game for building, but not keen on raising a family in a tiny house. We and our two dogs currently own a ~1000 sq ft 2 bedroom home - it's fine for now, but with its lack of storage and natural light and its awkward layout, it's not somewhere I'd really look forward to trying to raise kids.

Our ideal would be a space that's cozy but not cramped, light-filled, peaceful, and with a strong connection to nature. Practically we want a layout that allows for a lot of flexibility in the living areas and sanctuary in the private ones. We envision occasional large gatherings of family and friends (i.e. a space that can accommodate a loooong dining table, lots of seating, or big crafting/sewing/gaming parties a few times a year), and maybe "camping" indoors with our kids in an outdoor-feeling space.

I'd been doodling floor plans for years before finally arriving at this one, and now that I've started settling into the idea I've been asking for opinions from everyone I can persuade to look at it! It's evolved bit by bit as I've adopted suggestions, and I love it now more than ever. Y'all all seem really gifted at thinking outside the box and coming up with solutions I wouldn't have considered, so what do you think about my floor plan?

All critiques welcome, but in particular:

• Where would you put skylights to make the most of natural light and summer ventilation?
  • Is it possible to/How would you fit a wall oven into the plan? I love to bake and wall ovens look like they might make that easier. Anything else you'd change to suit a baker?
  • Is it possible to/How would you fit a sewing space into the plan? My current sewing space is in our basement, but I'd prefer to sew where there's natural light. My sewing stuff is pretty easily tucked away when not in use, but it can take up a lot of space really quickly when I'm working on a project.
  • What changes would you recommend for convenience of raising kids?

Okay, all right already, I know you came to see the plan! Here you go:

Other Important stuff:

• ~1350 heated square feet (if I've done my math right)
  • Will need to house myself and my husband, two-ish kids, and two dogs.
  • Southern exposure is at top of plan, so morning sun is from the left, afternoon sun is from the right.
  • We're planning on radiant floor heat. Husband wants geothermal, I favor pellet boiler.
  • Basement will be finished eventually, if not right away
  • Would love this house to be suited for aging in place
  • We don't have land yet, but will be building in central Massachusetts.

Comments (37)