SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

Shoji-look (or barn door maybe)slider window for interior wall opening

julieste
4 years ago

I am hoping someone here can help me figure out how to accomplish this.

I have a wall between a kitchen and a den-type area that has a 79" wide by 39" high opening cut out. This opening allows for extra light and a view to the outside from the kitchen. I want to be able to very occasionally close this opening off while still allowing the light to penetrate the kitchen.

What I am envisioning is a slider-type, Shoji-screen, frosted glass window mounted on the den side of the wall opening. There would be two panels that meet at the center. The panes/panels can be pulled shut at the center for privacy, but most of the time it would be left open with the glass panels pulled fully to the wall on the sides of the cut-out thus leaving the opening completely open to the view. I'd prefer a size that just covers the cut-out so it's more window-like than door-like but could go to the floor too if necessary or if this would make it more do-able.

Japanese-type style is really what I am more after rather than today's ubiquitous barn door, but if there is no way to achieve that shoji screen look, I may have to settle for barn door. Does anyone have any ideas how to do this? I really appreciate the help. Thanks.

Comments (16)