Looking for a recipe box

Izzy Mn

I am going insane today trying to find a old fashion recipe box. My mom has said she wants a bigger sizes one, hers holds 3x5 cards. She almost never asks for anything and this was a pretty direct hint of what she would like for Christmas. I picked up one years ago at a garage sale that holds the larger sized, 5x8 (I think), a plain wooded box with hinged lid, even had tab divider cards, I wish I could find something like that
The one she has is metal with a pattern, so one similar would be ok, wood one not $50-$80 would be good even. Has to be fairly good sized but not huge.
I went to multiple stores looking for one. Kohl's, Bed, Bath, Beyond, Home Goods, Joanne Fabrics and Craft, Pier One, World import s (something like that) Not a single recipe box in sight anywhere. I even popped by the Goodwill hoping I'd get lucky. Finally a office supply store only had really ugly black plastic index card boxes for 3x5 and 5x7, almost got that but when I grabbed a packet of index cards they were made of really thin card stock so I was so disgusted I just left with nothing.
I've looked online but either find 3x5 sized, too small or some ok wood ones under $30 that have some bad reviews that they were flimsy and/or.
Any suggestions on what to do and where to find a recipe box???
HELP!!!!!

SaveComment28Like
Comments (28)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
1 Like Save    
maire_cate

A few years ago I purchased oak index boxes from ebay that hold 5x8 cards. Mine measures 6 1/4 h x 8 3/4 w X 10 deep. My DD has fond memories of looking for her favorite cookie recipes in my file so when she moved into her first apartment I found one on ebay and put all her favorites in.

Look for ones made by WEIS or Globe Werniche - those are ones that we used in the library and they're oak.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Izzy Mn
Alisande

I like Maire_cate's suggestion, and you could also try antique shops. I bought one for my daughter-in-law at an antique shop several years ago. It was wooden, well made, and filled with recipes!

Save     Thanked by Izzy Mn
maire_cate

There's one on ebay now - it's pricey. Sometimes the measurements are incorrect so I always contact the seller to verify the size and condition.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Oak-Dovetailed-Hinged-Card-Catalog-Index-Card-Box/401942435861?hash=item5d95a2d815:g:k3YAAOSwCDxdvDLy

Fun2BHere

There are a bunch on Etsy.com

Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Swooning over your recipe box, maire_cate.

maire_cate

Oh Zalco - thank you. I still prefer print recipes to online and that little box gets a lot of use.

Izzy - it is hard to find good quality cards at Staples or Target etc. Theirs are not only thin but the paper quality is poor too. I buy mine from Levenger - but they don't offer 5x8 - only 3x5 and 4x6.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Izzy Mn
Judy Good

Current carries lot of cute recipe cards and boxes, but I think the largest they come are 4x6 size. https://www.currentcatalog.com/for-your-home/kitchen-and-dining/recipe-cards.html

Judy Good

Another thought is to buy a used wooden one and repaint or use stickers to decorate to her liking.

georgysmom2

There's a whole bunch of them on Amazon

Izzy Mn

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Some I had seen some of what was posted when looking online but you added a bunch more. I really hate to buy some stuff online, I want to touch and feel things before buying. There is a Container store not too terribly far, but if I am disappointed I really will be going insane. I was just surprised it was so difficult to find something so simple.

1 Like Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Have you tried Michael's or another big craft store?

georgysmom2

I don't know if them have them in store, but BB&B has a nice selection on line. If you have a store near you, you might want to check there. You can have it personalized.

Izzy Mn

BB&B didn't have any, at the store, maybe they do online.

Haven't tried Michael's, there is one near where I'm going today. Plus a few thrift stores. I would rather get a loved/used one if it works over a new one anyway, probably last longer and be better quality.

Marie-cate. Yours looks a lot like mine I got at a garage sale years ago, but not quite as large, maybe 2/3 or less than yours. I didn't realize it was such a rare thing!!

Save    
caflowerluver

This is a metal one I found at a thrift shop. It works for larger cards and I like the pictures on all 4 sides. Good luck in your search.

marylmi

A Hallmark store may have some nice ones too. I bought my long wooden one there years ago.

maire_cate

Izzy - they used to be very common - back in the old days when libraries and offices needed card files. The 3 x 5 size is still fairly common, I have one on my kitchen counter that I use for addresses.

Izzy Mn

The Michael's craft store was no longer where it used to be. I found another one with a search online not too far away, plus a Hallmark and I know of a few thrift stores in the area. Wish me luck on my quest!!!

Thanks for your suggestions.

At this point it doesn't have to be fancy, even a lament cardboard that fits larger than 3X5 cards, one made well and functional would be great. Just really don't want a ugly black plastic one as a gift for Mom.

Save    
marylmi

Also, do you have any kitchen/cook stores in your area? They may have what your looking for or could even order one but getting late for ordering if you want it for Christmas.

yeonassky

I was going to suggest having one made. However it might not be made by Christmas since that's not far offas someone else mentionedAt least at our craft fairs we run into lots and lots of people who are doing beautiful wood vessels and the that include some boxes. Good luck!

Save    
Izzy Mn

Ok, after running all over, Hallmark (they had one itty, bitty tin one and a selection of 3 ring binders for recipe cards) Walmart, another thrift store or two. I have a winner!!!! Well it's ok and seems to be functional enough. Michaels only had one unfinished wooden one that was the typical very small size.

I got it at Hobby Lobby in the home decor section. Fits 4x6 cards with a little extra height for dividers with tabs (that I'll make using some card stock I purchased) They had a bunch of decorative boxes but only one that would work for recipe box. Too bad the other styles didn't come in the size I needed that I liked the looks of better. I think I found a missing niche' that needs to be filled.

It was 14.99 but all the home decor was 50% off. They also had a decent selection of good recipe cards that were a good sturdy thick paper like they are supposed to be.

Yes!!!! Success.

2 Likes Save    
mdln

Unfortunately retail stores no longer have the selection Amazon has.

arkansas girl

Huuum, I think I may start looking for recipe boxes at the flea markets and sell them on ebay...cha-ching! HAHAHA!

Izzy Mn

I did see the numerous ones online, most of the ones you posted mdln I checked out. The ones I kind of liked had some negative complaints about them. Some were just too much $, some not big enough. If I had come up with the idea for this gift I may have had time but this gift idea was thought of too late to hope one ordered online would be ok.

Arkansas girl, I had the same idea!! My BIL dabbles in wood working, maybe we can start a business producing and selling this apparently rare item, a decent sized, well designed good looking recipe box.

The one I got kind of looks like this but plainer and holds 4x6 cards. No studs, same latch.

https://www.wayfair.com/storage-organization/pdx/millwood-pines-manufactured-wood-craft-case-ucxw1041.html

I would post a picture if I knew how to do it.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

I thought for sure this was something no longer made. Like the address book I keep trying to find and can't. Mine has completely ripped in two now. I've had it since I was in my 20s. I finally found a cheapy tiny one at Wal-mart or somewhere. They don't make nice big ones anymore...or at least I can't find them in the stores. I didn't look on-line.

Izzy Mn

Kathsgrdn....tiny address book, I've been trying to find a new "little black book" as I refer to the tiny address book I've always kept in my purse. The one I have now (2nd one since high school) is falling apart and I've had my eye out for a purse address book for about a year now. I will have to remember to check out Walmart when I go there next time. The one s I've always had are about 2x3" and a hard cover. But apparently another extinct item. This makes me feel old that common items are no longer common.

PS, I use it for more than addresses. Garage door entries of friends, not put under their name and address of course. Size of furnace filter. Just lots of misc things I may need.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Landscape Design Recipe for Tropical Edible Garden Style
Appeal to exotic good taste with fruit trees, palms and tropical look-alikes in your temperate-climate garden
Full Story
Accessories Finish Your Look With a Fun Mix of Textiles
Why box yourself into a design corner when you can spread out ever-changing throws, rugs and even bags?
Full Story
Handmade Home: Build a Simple Flower Box
Inexpensive wood, a few tools and a little handiwork can yield a fresh look for your windows
Full Story
SmartRoof is dedicated to the relentless pursuit of the perfect customer experience. We help you make educated... Read More
At Bull Run Kitchen and Bath, we are dedicated to providing professional service and work hard to ensure that our... Read More