14 Yr Old FLA Boy Allegedly Beaten On Schoolbus For Wearing A MAGA Hat

catkinZ8a

The school superintendent says there was “no evidence” that the student was wearing “a political hat showing support for President Trump” at “the time of the altercation or that his wearing of such apparel on a prior occasion motivated the incident.”

R I G H T!

CRIME

Published 10 hours ago

Florida schoolboy, 14, beaten over MAGA hat, parent claims, as shocking video goes viral

Five young students in Florida were charged Friday after a video posted online allegedly depicted the group pummeling a 14-year-old classmate on a school bus – an attack the boy’s family claims occurred after their son previously wore a MAGA hat to school and voiced support for President Trump.

The five students in Hamilton County were charged with misdemeanor battery stemming from the Nov. 21 incident, the sheriff’s office told WCTV-TV of Thomasville, Ga.

The mother of the 14-year-old boy posted a video of the incident on Twitter on Thursday, saying her attorney approved its release. As of early Saturday, the graphic video -- which Fox News is not posting here because it shows minors -- had been retweeted nearly 17,000 times.

"Keep in mind this is only the first 21 seconds of the video," the mother, using the Twitter handle @AmericanDiaries, writes. "Please RT to have these two girls and 3 boys held accountable."

In the video, which the woman claims was shot by another student and obtained from school officials, one female student in particular appears to overpower the boy as he tries to defend himself. He does not appear to be wearing a MAGA hat or any other Trump gear at the time. Other students are seen throwing an occasional punch at the boy as well.

The boy's mother claims her son required medical treatment for head contusions after the incident, radio station WFTL of West Palm Beach reported.

The woman also wrote Nov. 22, the day after the incident, “To be clear, my son bought his #Trump2020 hat with his own money at the flea market a few weeks ago. He was proud to wear it. He wore it to School, but due to immediate bullying he put it away & didn't wear it to school again, sadly the damage was already done & was now a target.”

The boy’s attorney, Foye B. Walker, reposted the video on Twitter on Thursday, writing: “I represent this victim who was assaulted & injured because he exercised his right to #FreedomOfSpeech by wearing a #maga hat to school. This assault occurred ON THE SCHOOL BUS In Hamilton County, FL!”

“It’s bullying as well as an attack on our rights of Free Speech provided by the First Amendment!” he added in a separate tweet.

Walker tagged President Trump, Sen. Rick Scott, R-Fla., and Florida’s GOP Gov. Ron DeSantis in several tweets.

The mother also tweeted a photo of her son in a hospital bed with his face covered, writing:

“I am sitting in the hospital with my 14 year old kid because he was just jumped by 8 black kids on the school bus, I guess that's what happens when a kid wears a #Trump hat to school. And who's the violent ones again? Earlier today they poured milk all over his head.”

Superintendent Rex Mitchell said in a letter released Friday that a Hamilton County School District investigation conducted within the 22 days since the fight occurred revealed “no evidence” that the student was wearing “a political hat showing support for President Trump” at “the time of the altercation or that his wearing of such apparel on a prior occasion motivated the incident.”

“We absolutely do not condone the use of physical force between students,” Mitchell said. “This was a very unfortunate incident completely unrelated to any political statements or agendas. However, we will continue to evaluate our safety procedures to prevent a future event and ensure the safety of all students in the Hamilton County School District.”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-teen-maga-hat-bullies-bus-attack-video-hamilton-county

SaveComment87Like
Comments (87)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chi

"14 Yr Old FLA Boy Allegedly Beaten On Schoolbus For Wearing A MAGA Hat"

"He does not appear to be wearing a MAGA hat or any other Trump gear at the time"

Not that beating up a 14 year old is okay in any context, but this headline is misleading. It sounds like it's the parents who are claiming that this bullying was because of a hat that he wasn't actually wearing.

I hope the kids get punished.

1 Like Save    
Chi

The mother tweets:

"Please RT to have these two girls and 3 boys held accountable."

And also tweets:

"I am sitting in the hospital with my 14 year old kid because he was just jumped by 8 black kids on the school bus"

Which is it? 5 or 8? And what does being black have to do with it? Why the need to point that out?

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

It was prior, try to keep up.

“no evidence” that the student was wearing “a political hat showing support for President Trump” at “the time of the altercation or that his wearing of such apparel on a prior occasion motivated the incident.”

Save    
catkinZ8a

Behold the defending of the vicious people that mercilessly attacked this boy.

Save    
Chi

"It was prior, try to keep up."

Still assumptions, and no need to be rude.

And no one is defending them. I guess you missed where I said it's not okay in any context and I hope they are punished.

I do question the alleged political motivation though without more evidence, since he was not in fact wearing any maga gear and it's just the mom claiming it's because he did one time before.

It's still a terrible thing.

4 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I too question the political motivation behind all the publication of the assault and adding info about the race of the assaulters.

Evidently the 14 yr old was assaulted. That was wrong, whatever the reason. Weren't the police called? Isn't the city attorney pressing charges? If the legal system is failing to handle the case appropriately, the outcries should be against the city's defective functionaries

The people who assaulted the 14 yr old deserve to be punished for assault, but it doesn't matter why. There are no special laws against assaulting a Trumpster. Assault is assault, whatever the reason.

That is why I question the political motivation behind publicizing the unfortunate incident as widely as possible and emphasizing that days before the assault the kid wore a MAGA hat --gotta get the supposed anti-Trump info in there somehow, since there was nothing about Trump in the video evidence which simply shows an assault.

Seems to me the parents decided to politically capitalize on the misfortune that happened to their child and turn it into Trump propaganda intended to outrage offended Trumpsters. And they are working hard to get it spread around as much as possible.

Kate

ETA: And I'd like some info on what provoked the assault on that particular day and at that particular time and place. Seems to me that we don't know the entire story yet, though if it is just about bullying, that is a somewhat different story, isn't it. However, assault is still assault, regardless of the reason.

5 Likes Save    
margaux

Why couldn't Fox report the Sheriff's Department statement in full? They sure gave a lot of newsprint to the mother's story. Fair and balanced, ya know.

On Thursday, December 12th, a message was posted on Twitter along with a
video showing an altercation between students on a Hamilton County
School District school bus. The incident shown in this tweet actually
occurred on Thursday, November 21st, 22 days ago. Since that time the
school district has investigated the incident, taken action against the
students involved, and turned the information over to the local
Sheriff’s office for criminal action. It is implied in the post
that the altercation occurred because one of the students involved was
wearing a political hat showing support for President Trump. There was
no evidence found during the investigation that indicated the student
was wearing any of this apparel at the time of the altercation or that
his wearing of such apparel on a prior occasion motivated the incident.
The incident began with a verbal altercation between two students that
escalated when additional students became involved
. In addition
to the video that was posted online which was recorded by a student,
the school district reviewed the bus video which depicted, not only the
altercation, but all events prior to the altercation and its conclusion.

Sounds like she was looking for her fifteen minutes of right-wing fame.

1 Like Save    
Carro

Sounds like she was looking for her fifteen minutes of right-wing fame.

Have you seen the video? Good grief! Her boy was pummeled by a pack of kids!

What is wrong???

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Yeah right, how many mothers would like to see their kid pummeled to the point of being hospitalized to get their 15 minutes of fame? Think about it.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Hah, Carro, we are on the same wave length tonight;)

2 Likes Save    
Carro

margo, I've seen some depraved comments, but that one takes the cake.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Made me shake my head ...

2 Likes Save    
Carro

As if he point is whether or not this started because the victim was wearing a MAGA hat. 8 kids started pummeling him and someone thinks the mother wants attention.

SICK

1 Like Save    
margaux

You've got it all backwards, queen. I didn't say that the mother sent her son out to get pummeled so she could play the victim. That poor teenager was indeed beaten but now he's been victimized twice--once by the bullies and once by his mother, who took advantage of his beating to make a false claim. Does Jussie Smollet ring a bell? I wonder how deep she is in the cult of Trump.

There was no evidence found during the investigation that indicated the student
was wearing any of this apparel at the time of the altercation or that
his wearing of such apparel on a prior occasion motivated the incident.
The incident began with a verbal altercation between two students that
escalated when additional students became involved
In addition to the video that was posted online which was recorded by a student, the school district reviewed the bus video which depicted, not only the altercation, but all events prior to the altercation and its conclusion.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

. Does Jussie Smollet ring a bell?

OH, now are you saying the kid or his parents hired this hate crime?

Save    
margaux

Carro

As if he point is whether or not this started because the victim was wearing a MAGA hat. 8 kids started pummeling him and someone thinks the mother wants attention.

SICK

Nope, that's not the point. The mother doesn't want attention because her son was pummeled. The fight happened and she used it to claim the reason was because of the hat, but NO EVIDENCE was found in the investigation. She probably had been reading about those incidents in all those RW blogs and had a light bulb moment. Or her lawyer did, since he tweeted it to Trump.

1 Like Save    
margaux

queenmargo

. Does Jussie Smollet ring a bell?

OH, now are you saying the kid or his parents hired this hate crime?

Is this where I screech "DON'T PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH!!"

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

Behold the defending of the vicious people that mercilessly attacked this boy.

Save    
queenmargo

I did not put any words in your mouth. I asked you if that is what you are saying ? What makes this ring a bell about Jussie Smollet?

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

The boy owns a MAGA hat, he wore it prior.

Do you know WHY he was attacked margaux?

1 Like Save    
Carro

margo, they can update us when they feel just an iota of empathy for a mother who's boy was brutally attacked on a school bus.

But they're all about children, right? Except if it's a white boy who owns a MAGA hat.

It's a pattern.

2 Likes Save    
Chi

"Do you know WHY he was attacked margaux?"

I expect only the kids who attacked him know that for sure. His mom thinks it's because of the hat but there is no proof either way.

2 Likes Save    
Carro

Still caring about the hat. ZERO caring about a boy who was beaten by a mob.

And worse, no empathy for a mother whose boy was hospitalized.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

So how would you feel if it was your kid Chi? If you were the mother sitting watching your kid in the hospital. If the kid wore the hat prior and was bullied, and then he quits wearing it, and then gets beat up, what would you think as a mother???

1 Like Save    
margaux

queenmargo

The boy owns a MAGA hat, he wore it prior.

Do you know WHY he was attacked margaux?

We don't know and won't know unless the authorities release a reason. Right now I'm going with what they've said--there is NO EVIDENCE that he was attacked for a hat.

Did the boy claim that they made anti-Trump comments prior to or during the attack? Was the following statement investigated?

"Earlier today they poured milk all over his head.”

If that happened, wouldn't those students have been suspended and not riding the bus?

2 Likes Save    
margaux

Carro

Still caring about the hat. ZERO caring about a boy who was beaten by a mob.

And worse, no empathy for a mother whose boy was hospitalized.

Really? Whose post did I miss?

Save    
queenmargo

1 Like Save    
Chi

"So how would you feel if it was your kid Chi? If you were the mother sitting watching your kid in the hospital. If the kid wore the hat prior and was bullied, and then he quits wearing it, and then gets beat up, what would you think as a mother???"

I would want the kids who attacked my child to be caught and punished. I would leave it at that. An attack is an attack. There's no reason to attempt to make it political with no evidence other than speculation.

4 Likes Save    
margaux

queenmargo

If the kid wore the hat prior and was bullied and quit wearing it and then gets beat up, what would you think as a mother???

Queen....IF. There's the key word. If we had waited for evidence before believing Jussie Smollet, how much different that conversation would have gone.

Save    
Chi

Who is that brick wall comment addressed to, margo?

Save    
queenmargo

Who is that brick wall comment addressed to, margo?

Chi, haven't you ever heard of that expression before?

My dad use to say that to me when he felt he could not get through to me.

It is a general comment when you can not get someone to understand your point.

It is NOT a personal attack if that is where you are trying to go.

1 Like Save    
margaux

There's no reason to attempt to make it political with no evidence other than speculation.

Oh, but Chi, there is a reason--it supports the RW narrative of the violent, unhinged liberal. The election is eleven months away.

And let's add a few more from this thread, all because I trust the authorities when they say that there was NO EVIDENCE.

"SICK"

"Depraved"

I'm sure there will be more colorful adjectives for liberals to come.

2 Likes Save    
Carro

margo, figures of speech can be triggers.

1 Like Save    
Chi

"Chi, haven't you ever heard of that expression before?"

"It is a general comment when you can not get someone to understand your point."

Yes, I know what it means. I was asking who you were addressing it to, or who isn't understanding your point.

Save    
queenmargo

I would want the kids who attacked my child to be caught and punished. I would leave it at that. An attack is an attack. There's no reason to attempt to make it political with no evidence other than speculation.

BUT, wonder if you knew your kid owned a hat that caused so much hate. You knew he wore it. You knew he got bullied. Might you not come to that conclusion? What other explanation was given for the beating he took?

Save    
Carro

A Democrat who doesn't support hate crime legislation. Interesting.

Save    
queenmargo

The liberals have been slinging colorful adjectives to Trump supporters for over 3 years.

1 Like Save    
margaux

Foye B. Walker, her attorney, tweeted:

I am representing the victim in this video who is a student at Hamilton County, FL School District. This incident occurred on the school bus and is under investigation.

I take that to mean they have not reached a conclusion about why he was beaten. Why have you?

1 Like Save    
Chi

"What other explanation was given for the beating he took?"

"The incident began with a verbal altercation between two students that escalated when additional students became involved."

We don't know what the "verbal altercation" was about. It's not like there always has to be a reason for assaults.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

all because I trust the authorities when they say that there was NO EVIDENCE.

LOL and my guess it that if they did have evidence, you would not trust them.

1 Like Save    
margaux

queenmargo

The liberals have been slinging colorful adjectives to Trump supporters for over 3 years.

My chances of getting shot at by some nut stewed in RW rhetoric because I am a "traitor" to my country is far greater than your chances of getting shot at by some LW nut who considers you "stupid". Calling a Trumper stupid is rude and hurtful but calling a liberal a traitor is dangerous and irresponsible.

And I mean the universal you.

2 Likes Save    
Chi

If the kid was wearing a MAGA hat when he was attacked, I would say it was politically motivated. If the video (which I did watch) had kids yelling about Trump, then I would say it was politically motivated. But neither of these things happened so we are left with speculation. The mom says it was weeks between him wearing the hat and the attack. That's a long time.

I wonder if feelings would be the same if roles were reversed. If a kid wearing an Obama or Hillary shirt once was attacked weeks later, would the attack be blamed on supporting Democrats?

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Allegedly—-first clue. He wore the hat 2 weeks previously according to his lawyer. There is talk of ADHD and alternative school. Could be kids on the bus are all Alt school kids? Need to know more.

There’s too much missing to know whole story. I doubt the hat had anything to do with the issue. No matter what the kids were wrong to hit him even if possibly provoked.

Attorney Foye Walker, the family’s attorney, told The New York Post that Tyler “wore a Trump hat to school two weeks prior to the beating.”

Save    
margaux

Margo, of course he didn't deserve that beating, even if he said or did something to provoke it. That girl was a powder keg. However, because of the political climate and prior faked hate incidents, I can't take the mother's word for it. We ONLY have her word.

Save    
queenmargo

OK, so we only have her word. Wonder if you were the mother. You might know the situation. Why call her out to be a persons seeking 15 minutes of RW fame?

Save    
queenmargo

If I believed that my son was hospitalized for wearing a MAGA hat, I would accomplish far more than my 15 minutes. I would be howling non stop as you can imagine!

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I skipped a good portion of the last part of this thread. Another classic example of trumpsters deliberately mis-reading nearly everything the Never-trumpers say--so that the trumpsters have a reason to get indignant and scream and howl and denounce--unjustifiably.

Either that, or its the other option that has been entertained on this forum more than once: serious reading comprehension problems.

For the record, I stick with my earlier statements. The assault was awful, but there is no special dispensation for trumpsters--no law that says it is worse if the victim is a trump fan. Assault is assault--whatever the reason was for the assault. It should be punished by the law.

And Mom should quit using it as a red cloth to wave in front of the outraged trumpsters who are nearly ready to charge like angry bulls.

Kate

6 Likes Save    
zmith

Exactly, Kate. Any parent should be outraged if their child was beaten and hospitalized regardless of what instigated the assault.

1 Like Save    
Olychick

"I would be howling non stop as you can imagine!"

Different than what's happening here?

Save    
margaritadina

''

margaux

However, because
of the political climate and prior faked hate incidents, I can't take
the mother's word for it. We ONLY have her word.

''

Or really. Give us some examples when a Rep faked an attack by a liberal.

I know plenty other way around attacks.

Save    
margaux

I don't know if any Republicans ever have, but we're talking about a Trump supporter.

Save    
queenmargo

I am a Trump supporter and I have never faked an attack on anybody. I have never gotten physical period with anybody.

Save    
Kathy

The mother sounds as if she may be the problem. Just my opinion.

Save    
queenmargo

The only the reason the mother is a problem to the left is that she mentioned that MAGA hat. I am surprised the school did not expel the boy for wearing the hat.

Who knew a HAT could trigger so many people, lol.

Save    
Chi

I am also not a fan of how she said it was "8 black kids" as race is completely irrelevant in this case, and comes off as profiling. If they were white, would she have said "8 white kids"? Doubtful.

Save    
queenmargo

Chi- you mean how the left like to report how the White police officer shot a Black person?

That racial profiling swings both ways.

Save    
Chi

If this bus attack was thought to be racially motivated like some police shootings are, then yes, race is relevant. But I haven't seen any indication that race is considered a contributing factor here. Have you?

Unless the mother is trying to make it about race, of course.

Save    
queenmargo

How do you know that there are not race related crimes by kids in this school? Maybe it is a problem at their school?

Save    
Chi

Maybe it is, but the information we have does not indicate race as a contributing factor. No one claimed he was attacked for being white, and that would certainly make the news if it happened.

There are a whole lot of "what if's" that we could ask but as the story is reported, race was not an issue, and therefore pointing out the attackers' race is profiling.

Save    
queenmargo

So what? I am profiled every day, one way or another. It was still a FACT that black kids attacked her son.

Save    
Chi

Yes, an unnecessary fact that isn't applied universally. Hence profiling. It does happen every day, and we all do it, but that doesn't mean it's right.

Save    
margaux

The mother isn't a problem to the left. She's a problem to everyone if she's telling a story not backed up by any evidence.

You're predisposed to believe her and you know nothing about her. She hasn't been put under that microscope that Trumpers put any liberal under that makes an anti-Trump claim. Look how Nathan Phillips was picked apart by RW media in an attempt to discredit him.

Save    
Chi

Here's the thing about profiling. Ask a few people and I bet their opinions on the story would vary wildly if they were offered two different scenarios:

A group of white kids attacked a white kid on a bus

A group of black kids attacked a white kid on a bus

Which one do you think would anger more people? Outrage for an attacked child should be the same regardless of the race of the attackers (in a non-racially motivated attack), but I can promise that's not what would happen in the real world.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

God made us all different colors. Who knew we could not mention their color. I get blonde jokes all the time. I get big digs all the time. I get tall comments all the time, I get Trump supporter insults all the time. I will not apologize for being white, I did not create me. I am not being insensitive to real racial bias either. I know racism exists and find it horrible, but I find not being able to describe someone by the color of their skin ridiculous.

Save    
margaux

Whites will typically identify a minority by what makes them different than whites. Sometimes I do and it doesn't make me a bigot. If I lived in Africa or Mexico, I would probably be identified as a white woman.

It might show that the mother has a racial bias, which wouldn't be surprising in Florida, but we know nothing about the mother.

Save    
Chi

"I find not being able to describe someone by the color of their skin ridiculous."

There's a distinction between a fact and something added to provide a narrative, especially in a negative story where race isn't relevant.

An easy way to tell the difference is to see if ALL races would be equally described in the same situation. Would she have said "8 white kids" or "8 Asian kids" if that had been the case? I don't believe she would.

2 Likes Save    
Delilah66

I cannot believe any parent would allow their child to wear a hat emblazoned with ANY political statement to school. Hormones, lack of full frontal lobe development, idjit parents of other students, idjit kids, and all that.

1 Like Save    
margaux

This is the type of "politically-correct" thing that older whites bristle at because it means changing habits. I've seen on my local crime news where a crime is committed and commenters will ask why race wasn't included. They claim it's so they'll know who to look for.

Save    
margaux

I checked out the school district's dress code to see if they mention political advertising. They don't specifically but they might think about adding it. Anything political is disruptive nowadays.

You may not wear clothing and accessories that are dangerous to health or safety and are distracting or disruptive.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Anything Trump is disruptive to a liberal. LOL.

Save    
margaux

Yet you all do go on about AOC, Tlaib, Schiff, Hillary, Obama, Nadler......

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

"I find not being able to describe someone by the color of their skin ridiculous."

You can add someone's skin color if the skin color of ALL people mentioned in the post is included.

But if skin color is irrelevant to the narrative, cluttering up the news report with everybody's skin color will expose how ridiculous and irrelevant any mention of skin color is in most news reports.

Kate

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

There's a distinction between a fact and something added to provide a narrative, especially in a negative story where race isn't relevant.

I agree Chi, we have that same problem when it involves any one of the native population.

2 Likes Save    
Delilah66

"Anything Trump is disruptive to a liberal. LOL."

The first may be true. Ergo, my statement above about parenting.

If you believe "Anything Trump is disruptive to a liberal" is true, your post should not have ended with an LOL. The kid was beaten. That action does not warrant an LOL either.

Save    
lurker111

We aren't blind.

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

Here's the thing about profiling. Ask a few people and I bet their opinions on the story would vary wildly if they were offered two different scenarios:

A group of white kids attacked a white kid on a bus

A group of black kids attacked a white kid on a bus

Which one do you think would anger more people? Outrage for an attacked child should be the same regardless of the race of the attackers (in a non-racially motivated attack), but I can promise that's not what would happen in the real world.

I agree, using race as an identifier when it is not part of the issue, seems to create the impression that all persons of that race are responsible for the acts of a few. That is what racism is all about, attributing negative actions to the whole race and not being able to take each person for who they are.

In my province many have a terrible habit of this, they never seem to hold all white people responsible for the bad actions of a few. They don't fear white people they meet while walking down the street or shopping in Walmart, yet they openly avoid those situations if the native content is too high. Also, if a native person does bad acts the native part of the narrative seems to be the focus, something that does not happen to a white criminal.

Save    
queenmargo

If you believe "Anything Trump is disruptive to a liberal" is true, your post should not have ended with an LOL. The kid was beaten. That action does not warrant an LOL either.

I always laugh. I do believe that to be true. Some of us laugh as a reaction to many things. I wish all the judging would stop. You know I was not laughing at the beaten kid. I was laughing at the "disruptive" being over used.

1 Like Save    
Chi

"I've seen on my local crime news where a crime is committed and commenters will ask why race wasn't included. They claim it's so they'll know who to look for."

To be clear, I don't think we should all be "color blind". I think race is extremely relevant when describing something like a criminal at large or a suspect or some other kind of identifying information. I only question the race addition when it's not relevant, especially negative portrayal.

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

"I was laughing at the "disruptive" being over used."

Not in today's world it isn't, except for Pollyanna.

Save    
margaux

I don't remember any time in recent history where 14 year olds wore apparel with a politician's slogan to school, much less even knew a politician's slogan. My suspicion is that the parents eat, sleep, and breathe Trump and that has trickled down to their son. The mother could very well be motivated to make up a political reason for her son's beating.

"“To be clear, my son bought his #Trump2020 hat with his own money at the flea market a few weeks ago. He was proud to wear it."

Idolizing Trump?? That's just weird for a 14 year old. Isn't there a football player he admires?

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Idolizing Trump?? That's just weird for a 14 year old. Isn't there a football player he admires?

Most normal kids don't worry about CLIMATE CHANGE either. That is just as weird.

1 Like Save    
elvis

My suspicion is that the parents eat, sleep, and breathe Trump and that has trickled down to their son. The mother could very well be motivated to make up a political reason for her son's beating.

My suspicion is that the parents of the attackers eat, sleep, and breathe hatred for Trump and that has trickled down to their sons. The parents of these misguided boys could very well be as vicious as their sons.

1 Like Save    
bob_cville

> The assault was awful, but there is no special dispensation for
trumpsters--no law that says it is worse if the victim is a trump fan.
Assault is assault--whatever the reason was for the assault. It should
be punished by the law.

Maybe the right-wing posters here feel the assault is a hate-crime because being a Trump-supporter ought to be a protected minority group. If so, at least that indicates the the trump-supporters realize that they are a minority.

Save    
miss lindsey (She/Her)(8a)

“My suspicion is that the parents of the attackers eat, sleep, and breathe hatred for Trump and that has trickled down to their sons. The parents of these misguided boys could very well be as vicious as their sons.”

My suspicion is that the parents of these kids have very little to do with them at all, and the little they do have doesn’t involve discussing political ideology.

And half the attackers are girls.

Save    
margaux

Again, there is NO EVIDENCE to suggest that he was attacked for being a Trump supporter.

Save    
Kathy

The mother is sticking up for her son which is understandable but she said he goes to Hope Academy at the school because of ADHD and other problems. Chances are he has poor impulse control and home problems as well. I wouldn’t doubt if we knew the whole story the others on the bus were challenged as well. I’m not trying to excuse their actions, but merely understand them.

She explained further. “And for those of you asking about homeschooling, I homeschool my 12-year-old daughter, but my son has ADHD (unmediated due to side effects) when I tried to homeschool him last year, neither my son nor myself could handle it. So instead I wrote a letter to the school & asked them to place him into Hope Academy, an alternative option located in the same school but instead of teachers they do everything on the computer so he can move along at a much quicker pace.”

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

" I tried to homeschool him last year, neither my son nor myself could handle it. So instead I wrote a letter to the school & asked them to place him into Hope Academy, an alternative option located in the same school"

I think Kathy has it--Hope Academy is evidently some special program that relies mostly on computers rather than human interaction (teacher-student-fellow students). From the mother's description, it definitely sounds like the kid doesn't interact well with others and is more than a handful even for his mother.

It's not hard to imagine a scenario where fellow students (especially if they also have some problems that placed them in the special Hope Academy program) got riled up about the kid's difficult and, perhaps to them, inexplicable behavior -- and then violence broke out.

No excuses--just trying to understand and make sense out of the whole scenario.

At the very least, I don't think we need to start an HT "lock 'em up" movement about an unfortunate situation about which we probably don't know the whole story.

Kate

Save