SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

gardengems - answer re: agave

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I am still not able to comment, so here is the answer to your question: It is Agave FO-076. I do not know why are the leaves so 'fat' - I do not water it very often; it has not been repotted since I got it in 2016; I believe I never fertilized it. Here is photo then and now:

It is supposedly a slow grower - I have removed at least 6 oldest leaves as they got dry over the years I have it.

Here is some info from San Marcos Growers:

Agave oteroi 'Felipe Otero' (FO-076) (Sierra Mixteca Agave) - This is a striking mid-sized agave that grows slowly to 2-3 feet tall by 3 feet wide. It has broad, relatively short, gray-green leaves with a reddish-brown terminal spine and large recurved teeth along the leaf margins that emerge a golden color and age to a gray white. The leaf margins themselves age to the same color as the spines which gives this plant a very distinctive look. This plant was originally distributed as Agave titanota and later as Agave sp. "Sierra Mixteca" with the Felipe Otero collection designation FO-076 and noted in Japanese nurseries under the name Agave sp. No.1. It was finally described as a species, Agave oteroi by Greg Starr and Tristan Davis in the Summer 2019 issue of Cactus and Succulent Journal (Vol. 91 N. 2). It seems to have affinities with Agave titanota, which has very gray-colored leaves but some speculate that it is a hybrid of A. titanota or a form or hybrid of A. horrida and the name A. horrida var. oteroi is also been used. Whatever you call this plant, it is very attractive. Plant in full sun along the coast but give some protection from afternoon sun in hot interior gardens. It has proven cold hardy to 23 F but leaf margins burn much below this. It is a very nice landscape plant and its smaller size make it a good potted specimen.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz