SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steven_bunker45

Conflicting Sanded vs Unsanded Grout Recommendations

Steven Bunker
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello all. I'm new here. Perhaps you can help me.

We purchased our home in August and a few months later, our tile shower started leaking through the kitchen ceiling below! It turned out the pan was installed incorrectly, so we're redoing the entire shower.

We've chosen a glossy white subway tile for the walls and a 2x2 dark gray mesh-mount for the floor and a dark gray grout. The subway tile is not the kind with the built-in bevel, so we're using 1/16" spacers. The 2x2 mesh-mount has about 3/32" spacing.

I purchased unsanded grout (Laticrete Permacolor Select NS) for the wall and floor. I bought unsanded grout because every internet resource that I can find says that you should use unsanded grout for 1/16" joints. I found one Youtube video that says you shouldn't use unsanded on shower floors. Some resources suggest that if you attempt to use sanded grout on 1/16" joints then it may not be possible to press it in well enough, so it may flake out, or if it's watered down to be pressed in better it may pit.

The tile contractor is telling me that I should use sanded grout for both the walls and floor. He says he always has problems with unsanded grout shrinking/settling and then not being flush with the tile surface. The tile store where I bought the tile and grout (an actual tile and stone specialty store, not a big box store) says that unsanded is fine for the walls but that they've never used unsanded on a shower floor. I called a homebuilder cousin of mine and he says it should be all unsanded, corroborating my internet research.

So this is all conflicting information and I'm not sure what I should do. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks very much.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County