SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sseibert

Opinions on reclaimed wood perimeter counter tops with marble island?

sseibert
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Im struggling with my counter tops. I love Calacutta marble and really want my island to be marble. But the price is awful! I think the sink wall needs stone vs wood as well, b/c of water. My island is very long!! 132" long by 38 wide.

So to save a bit and love the rustic french country look....I'm thinking about doing a reclaimed wood on my range wall...the pieces on either side of range and the piece at end that is an appliance garage. Then I have an adjacent mudroom with a small 12" drop zone top. And another counter top over at end of mudroom. Do wood tops there too.

White shaker cabinets full overlay. My floors in kitchen are heart of pine. mudroom brick pavers. Backsplash is painted old brick (its the old back part of the house) My contractor is going to build a "mantle" for my wide range area. Maybe do this in reclaimed wood too? I want my range to be the focal point.

I have living/unlaquered brass faucets. And was going to do unlaquered brass pulls.

My house was built in 1901.

Marine Loft · More Info

Comments (47)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO reclaimed wood is not something I would use in a kitchen there are all kinds of issues with reclainmed wood as to chemicals bugs many things . Just because you see it in a picture does not make it a good idea and I have no idea what a mantel is for with your range Maybe a bit more info I love butcher block conyers and have them on either side of my range but I use them for prep sometimes and sure want something I can be assured has no youcky chemicals in it.

• tatts
    4 years ago

Reclaimed wood? For food prep areas? Really?

The Joanna Gaines is strong in this one...

• Related Discussions

Marble kitchen counter top

Q

Comments (2)
    Alabamamommy's kitchen island is wood and marble. I'll post a link below. Beaglesdoitbetter's island is 2 incredible pieces of marble perfectly matched. Do a search for her user name at the bottom of this forum, it will come up. Here is a link that might be useful: alabamamommy's kitchen
    ...See More

Counter tops for extra long island (seam or change of material)?

Q

Comments (20)
    ugh.... we are just at this point now and realized that our new counter/breakfast bar is 12' with the sink cutout dead center. My wife is stuck on an undermount and we really wanted granite... we will, of course, be getting a few fabricators to bid it. But is it feasible to do the seam with a cutout at the seam? The front edge of the sink seems a bit vulnerable to me. Also the current layout has the dishwasher adjacent to the sink and I guess we'd need to get the cabinet built with a support at the seam. If we can seam at the sink it would be small, just the length of the front setback (breakfast bar transitions to countertop there)... how well does the bullnose normally line up on a seam? Do they polish it on-site? Are we better off getting used to NOT granite? The 12' counter is not negotiable in our design.
    ...See More

Perimeter counter opinions please!

Q

Comments (10)
    I will agree with others that have said let the new owners put in marble if that's what they want. In fact, I don't want to seem harsh but I will go one step farther and say that is even more true for a million dollar plus home. (If you can afford that price point, you will want the counter top of your choosing, and there are a lot of people that do not want marble). Case in point, our neighbours spent months renovating their $million plus house for resale. The first thing that the new owners did was rip it all out. I would probably stick with something neutral in quartz (just because I prefer it over granite) for both the perimeter and island.
    ...See More

Marble counter tops and tiles, Pandomo floor - your experience?

Q

Comments (3)
    These are expensive finishes. It sounds like the house is higher-level build (luxury finishes are rarely put in entry-level homes). If the house is right, things can always be changed. In real estate, it is location, location, location. If they are worried this could be a 'look but don't touch house' then they are probably not ready to live with luxury finishes. And any floor scratches. Stone, concrete, porcelain, wood, paint, packed earth, carpet, etc. They all scratch. Gravity works with means the floors are the surface that are guaranteed to have SOMETHING touching every second of every day for the entire life of the house. It is a simple truth.
    ...See More
  • sseibert
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The wood is sanitized & cleaned of course. I don't really think I will be doing lots of prep right there beside the range. Likely will be prepping on island behind it or over by the sink. I don't know if it will be reclaimed or just more distressed/rustic, wide planks for the tops. The mantle is decorative. I'll attach some photos.

• sseibert
    Original Author
    4 years ago

1901 Kitchen remodel · More Info

• sseibert
    Original Author
    4 years ago

1901 Kitchen remodel · More Info

• sseibert
    Original Author
    4 years ago

(8) Pinterest · More Info

Green Day | Traditional Home · More Info

• felizlady
    4 years ago

The range wall cannot be reclaimed wood because it is required to be non- combustible material. I don’t like reclaimed wood for a counter because there may be traces of lead paint. And I don’t like the combination of reclaimed wood and marble

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

If you want a true French Country kitchen, no wood on walls. All tile. Island could be walnut butcher block but probably a soap stone or look alike granite like Virgina Mist honed for your island. Especially with white cabinets. Full overlay might be too modern for French Country look. I have a photo or two I will post for you.

• sseibert
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I didn’t mean wood on the actual wall. I just meant the countertops on the wall that has the range.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I wouldn't do wood on any countertop simply due to the maintenance issue. Some people are fine with it, but I cook a lot and just keeping a great stone is enough with prep, grease, spills, and of course, red wine! lol I have a feeling you are wanting wood, but if you have loads of time, go for it. If not, be prepared to really have to be careful with it.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

You want the look of a 250k kitchen for less. I'd be doing INSET cabinetry, and with a painted brick splash, I'd want honed marble. The heart of pine floor is plenty of wood, with a repeat of wood on the island hood. Pay up : )

PS....... With all the other elements? I'd also consider a no worry SOAPSTONE top too. Prep away, anywhere. I might shorten the island a bit as well. At a 38inch width? I'd want that down to 120 max ..........a prettier proportion.

• megs1030
    4 years ago

I would not do reclaimed wood anywhere near the range. I just wouldn't install it as a countertop at all. Keep looking for countertops. It's an exhausting process, but trust me it is well worth it to find what speaks to you. Do you have to install unlacquered brass knobs / pulls? I also have a Lacanche in my kitchen and just found brass hardware and a brass faucet that works well with the range but they are not unlacquered. That might also help save some money that you could put towards your marble counters.

• sseibert
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@megs1030 can you tell me what hardware you are using? Any photos of your kitchen?

• megs1030
    4 years ago

@sseibert, here's a picture of the range and the perimeter cabinets. Island and the bank of cabinets where our fridge / freezer columns are installed were finished in SW Naval.

Knobs: https://www.topknobs.com/tk960hb-allendale-knob-1-1-8-inch.html.

Pulls: https://www.atlastothetrade.com/collections/oskar/a103-wb-oskar-pull-5-1-16-inch.html

Atlas is owned by Top Knobs, I believe. The Honey Bronze and Warm Brass finishes are the same, maybe a very subtle difference, but they work very well with the unlacquered brass on the Lacanche. My faucet and pot filler are by Newport Brass -- Jacobean style and I *think* the finish is Satin brass. I picked it so long ago that I honestly don't remember. I do remember, though, that this was tough and the kind sales woman at the kitchen / bath showroom told me to make sure that the finishes were in the same tone, but it didn't really matter if something was brushed, another polished, etc. And now that it's all installed, I agree. I love the way it's all turned out.

sseibert thanked megs1030
  • sseibert
    Original Author
    4 years ago

OMG! I love that Lacanche! What color is yours? I can't tell if it is white or has a faint color? I also have the Jacobean faucet but did order unlacquered. But I would save some $$ if I didn't do all those pulls in unlacq! I like you exact pulls. I would love to see more photos of your kitchen! I'm thinking about do latches on some of my uppers. thanks for your help!

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

You seriously NEED a Kitchen Designer. There’s just too many posts with unworkable ideas being thrown out there. Get some Pro help.

• megs1030
    4 years ago

@sseibert, you have a good eye... it's a custom color called Chantilly. I would say it's a warm white. Not bright white, but not their Ivory either. I saw it in person at someone's house and fell in love. :) Here are some in progress pictures, I do have 3 different knobs / pulls as you can see from the cup pulls over on that hutch-looking piece.

Before counters were installed:

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

My island is very long!! 132" long by 38 wide.

Can you find/ have you found marble slabs that long? I'm thinking finding it may be a challenge &, if you do, it is going to be very pricey...that's a big piece of liability for the fabricator, too, so expect fabrication costs to exceed the norm, substantially.

• PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    4 years ago

The layout has room for improvement. You've boxed yourself into several corners because of a lack of construction and design knowledge. This is a very expensive project. Spend some of that money on a Kitchen Designer. It will lead to saved money, rather than wasted expenses and backtracking.

• sseibert
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@megs1030 very pretty! I like your wood/stone combo too. What are your stone countertops? @ci_lantro yes I have found a couple of slabs that will work but we likely will have to go with something else and have a seam.

@live_wire_oak and @ProSource Memphis While i've gotten some very helpful advice here.... I'm really too weary to keep reading comments about getting a CKD. I have been working with a CKD, maybe she just sucks, IDK, but this is stressful enough already. I've worked though multiple layouts and designs with MANY professionals who are well respected. Maybe everyone is just doing a crap job on my project? You are welcomed to offer SPECIFIC suggestions but if all you have to offer is get a pro and assuming there is a lack of knowledge/professionals involved then that is not helpful. Cabinets are ordered, drywall is up, electric & plumbing are in. I can NOT go backwards and honestly don't see any need to go backwards. I'm open to advice moving forward but not backwards. If the project is so bad you can't offer anything going forward then please just move on and let me live in my crappy kitchen. I don't have any emotional reserves left.

• megs1030
    4 years ago

@sseibert, the countertop is a quartzite called Mykonos. I have no idea if that's an industry name or if the distributor changed the name upon receipt. My guess is that it's a type of Macaubus.

sseibert thanked megs1030
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

The Mykonos is gorgeous! Just be careful of the slabs you choose. You might need two slabs for your island and that means you need "bookmatched" slabs. That way the center seam will look beautiful.

bookmatched stone · More Info

sseibert thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    User
    4 years ago

132” is for sure 2 bookmatched slabs. Which will accentuate the off centered sink. That will bother some people. Other people prefer the functionality of an off centered sink. They choose a less center of attention type stone that allows the range to be the star instead of the island. The range usually what the kitchen is about, but it’s downplayed in this design and isn’t a focal point. This is more of a traditional closed kitchen, designed to work, than an open concept living space kitchen. Nice to see a closed kitchen these days!

sseibert thanked User
  • felizlady
    4 years ago

In my opinion, reclaimed wood is rustic and marble is fancy...a clash of style and materials. Marble can be porous and may not be the best surface for kitchen uses....staining may be possible.

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    4 years ago

Grothouse Lumber offers food-safe reclaimed wood countertops, but I suspect they will not be less expensive than marble.

sseibert thanked Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
  • sseibert
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@User I actually would like my range to be the focal point. what countertop choices do you feel would accomplish that? The island has to be as big as it is so we can seat my family of 6...its our only informal dining spot. And I"m not bothered at all by the off center of the prep sink. I love the big open end of the island for serving. I actually pushed back against having a completely "open" kitchen. It just doesn't fit this house and its way more open/functional than it was before. But I love that old houses have rooms! @felizlady I think you are correct in that the styles are mixed, but my marble would be honed and I'm not looking to keep it pristine looking. If I could find an etched, aged slab out of european house I would do it in a heartbeat! I think of marble as classic and doesn't have to be "fancy". But I do love the mix of fancy & rustic...that pretty much describes my style!

• eam44
    4 years ago

It would make more sense to do the perimeter in stone and the island in wood, preferably food safe wood - and this is what two of your inspiration images show as well. Is that doable for you?

The whole point of this thread is that the counter options you like are over budget, and you want to consider alternatives. While none of this will be inexpensive, my guess is that book matched slabs are going to be out of the question.

Have you priced Corian? They have wood look surfaces, like Hickory Smoke, and many stone-like surfaces, like Witch Hazel.

For actual wood counters, instead of reclaimed wood, consider IKEA or a local butcher block source, but for durability, affordability, no visible seams, and low maintenance for the perimeter, you might want to consider solid surface.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

The layout you have chosen is what down plays the range as the star. The sight lines and traffic paths downplay it in that position. The large area of fridge and pantry hide it, and it’s not really visible from anywhere except sitting in the kitchen. A long narrow, closed, kitchen can be challenging in that regard.

Is there any way to take the wall down to the right to open up the view of the kitchen to other rooms? If not, there are still layouts possible that would make more of a feature of the range. it’s all about sight lines and traffic paths. You would need to post an As Is layout of the kitchen and the other rooms to get the best help to make the range the star.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago

Marble can be porous and may not be the best surface for kitchen uses....staining may be possible.

Marble is a lovely, living surface, much like unlacquered brass, and as I've been reminded this holiday season, hard to beat when working with dough.

I've also had good luck with our sealer and haven't had a single issue of staining on our honed Carrara marble island top. But I don't think I'd worry too much if we did. You're either constitutionally, inherently ok with marble or you're not lol.

The perimeter btw is Formica ("Basalt Slate") because my family isn't always gentle with dishes and glassware, and because the price was right : ) .

• sseibert
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@User thanks but layout is final. Cabinets being installed this week. There was no where to put the range on a more visible wall than the one with the window. Those were only 2 walls to work with. I realized you probably haven't seen the earlier threads where the layout was discussed at length. And the kitchen sketches above don't give you the full picture. I"ll add some. @eam44 yes wood island is an option and was already mulling it over. Its certainly a lot less stone! I just need to consider if its too much wood. but maybe not? @beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally yes I'm a person who is very ok with imperfect marble, brass, floors, etc. This house was built in 1901 and it wears it well. Thanks for your input!

• eam44
    4 years ago

beckysharp, I was going to mention laminate. This is another budget friendly but still lovely option for this kitchen as well. SS, if you were so inclined, you could do a wood-look laminate on the perimeter, and possibly real marble on the island.

4 years ago

Laminate looks better than it used to, especially if you don't have that 4" integrated backsplash. My husband was insistent in favor of it, I was insistent against it, and the fabricator sided with me saying "no-one does that anymore" lol.

Laminate countertops and vinyl flooring have saved our dishes and glasses countless times in the past 25 years : ) .

• sseibert
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Karenmo
    3 years ago

sseibert --- Just came across this thread and wondered how things worked out for you! I'd love to see some photos. I was so inspired by so many things you mentioned!

sseibert thanked Karenmo
  • eam44
    3 years ago

What a pretty space. Enjoy it in the best of health!

sseibert thanked eam44
  • Karenmo
    3 years ago

The stove is a work of art, and what a nice setting you created for it. I love the shaping of the vent surround.

sseibert thanked Karenmo
  • RedRyder
    3 years ago

Wow. It came out beautifully. And in an old house, it’s hard to modernize without looking like the kitchen belongs someplace else. Great job! The counters are gorgeous, and yes, the stove is a star! Enjoy your had-won kitchen.

sseibert thanked RedRyder
  • Jar G
    3 years ago

Nice but soooooo much white. Is there a reason you decided to abandon the idea of wood counters? I feel like it would have broken up all that white a bit.

• megs1030
    3 years ago

@sseibert, job well done! So so so pretty, you must be loving it! Did you go with the same hardware?

• ljptwt7
    3 years ago

I have stove envy...sigh.
    Beautiful kitchen!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

Very nice, and great layout! Did you post a reveal thread? I think I remember seeing a pic of your gorgeous blue range.

sseibert thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • anj_p
    3 years ago

I actually have a very similar layout in my custom design! would love your thoughts on it!

• felizlady
    3 years ago

Glad to see you changed your plans from your original post. Wood near a range would have been flammable and surely against code. It might also have voided your insurance policy, too. Reclaimed wood counters are hard to clean and not food-friendly. You went 180 degrees from rustic to fancy.

3 years ago

That's gorgeous! Thanks for coming back to update this thread : ) . May you be very, very happy in this kitchen.