Life can sometimes be indescribably horrible

HamiltonGardener

Sometimes a situation grabs your heart and eats your mind. This one has for me. No matter what happens, I’m a lucky person. I feel bad for this family.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/man-killed-in-massive-401-crash-was-trying-to-salvage-family-trip-to-disneyland-after-devastating-house-fire/amp

SaveComment24Like
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elvis

Oh, my. There are no words.

I am grateful for my life.

3 Likes Save    
Jennifer

Well, this is one of the saddest stories. How can one family ever recover?

2 Likes Save    
tryingtounderstand

This is heart wrenching. The 401 in that area is renowned for horrific collisions. Area mayors have made attempts to work with the province with a view toward reducing collisions.

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

I don't know either, Jennifer. I guess one day at a time.

Years ago I had a relative in a rehab hospital, and I got to know an elderly woman relearning how to walk after a bad fall.

She was in the rehab hospital, and her elderly husband was in a local Alzheimer care facility. He managed to escape from the facility, and was lost in the surrounding desert for days. They recovered his body, and the woman's son traveled from out of state to make funeral arrangements for his father. The son arrived in town, and had a fatal heart attack. I got to meet the woman's daughter, who came and eventually moved her mother to another state. Their loss was incomprehensible to me.

I'm glad that GoFundMe, churches, and charity organizations can help families get through such terrible things. It does make you grateful for the people you love.

4 Likes Save    
mudhouse

HamiltonGardener, I sort of feel like I should apologize, for posting the above, because I don't want to distract from the Ottawa family's loss, at all.

But when you posted "Sometimes a situation grabs your heart and eats your mind" that was a perfect description, and I recognized that feeling immediately. It just eats you up.

1 Like Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,maifleur,others(8a)

I admit I couldn’t bring myself to read the article; I got the gist from the link name and didn’t want the details :-(

(mudhouse speaking only for myself I appreciated reading your story, I think it was completely acceptable to share it.)

4 Likes Save    
HamiltonGardener

Madhouse,

I have no ownership of a thread or people’s thoughts. Your story is appreciated.

miss Lindsay,

Maybe best you don’t read. It’s even worse than the link title shows.

2 Likes Save    
ohiomom

No one knows what tomorrow may bring. I make a point of telling my loved ones every single day that I love them, if you don't there may be no second chance.

On my very worst day, someone is having a worst one.

Peace

4 Likes Save    
Chi

Stories like this make me question my faith. I don't know why such bad things are allowed to happen to good people. It's not right.

3 Likes Save    
Cookie8

tryingtounderstand, it really is a horrible stretch. Every squall seems to bring on a fatality there. I hate passing through when it snows there. I did see another death happened but only just read his story here. Horrible.

The conditions yesterday were complete whiteout. Plus, it came on in a snap.

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Chi, bad things happening to good people is a given. My faith requires me to act and mitigate the harm. My faith does not suggest the world is paradise, free of terrible suffering. Whether the harm to people comes from people exercising their free will or the harm comes from natural disaster, I believe grace is available to help us through horrors.

6 Likes Save    
Chi

"I believe grace is available to help us through horrors."

I don't see how grace helped him through his horrors.

I'm not trying to turn this into a spiritual debate but it just really bothers me when stuff like this happens to good people while many evil people get to live a full life. I can make sense of it as a roll of the dice without religious influence, but if it's by design, it's pretty crappy.

3 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

It seems to me his family are the ones who will need to rely on grace to get them through their losses and on to more secure footing.

5 Likes Save    
lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)

Wow, that's just sad. A bunch of disasters hit this family one after the other. People can transcend the fire and even the loss of a senior dog, but then to have all that closely followed by the tragic loss of the family's husband/father/son is just asking too much. It will be quite the process to get to some level of normal after all of that.

3 Likes Save    
blfenton

I have never wept tears as a result of something posted on this forum - until now.

Save    
lily316

Wow-what an awful story. That poor family. I agree with Chi. Why do these horrible things happen to nice people just trying to live a good life while evil people sometimes live to an old age with no consequences? Charles Manson comes to mind.

1 Like Save    
Linda

It can happen to anyone, good, bad or indifferent. It just gets in the media more if someone perceives the family involved to be "good people".

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

Stories like these make me glad I have no faith. Random bad luck is a better explanation than any greater being being involved (or not involved as the case may be). :(

3 Likes Save    
Cookie8

I have never done a gofundme. I usually donate on after such (funerals, illness) as to charities and the like. I have been very fortunate to not know people who are in such circumstances as this family.

Being the first time, are you completely blasted with new solicitors? Or does gofundme keep sending you stuff and you just unsubscribe? If so, I will look further as I know local banks and institutions also take donations in such tragic situations. Thanks for help/info on this.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Like Lindsey above, I can't bear to read the story. Enough details are available in these posts to leave me completely horrified.

There is no explanation for why such things happen. They just do. We have to focus on how to continue on--each in our different ways.

Kate

Save    
mrskjun(9)

A heartbreaking story. Prayers for his family.

Save    
Carro

Prayers for his family. These stories just get ya in the gut.

Life is precious. That's why they call this the present.

God bless his loved ones.

1 Like Save    
HamiltonGardener

And, his wife is expecting their fourth child in April.

The part hurting my heart the most is that he had recently put out some feelers online to pick up some extra part time work to earn money through the slow season.

I have been looking for a casual labourer in that area to do some part time work for me.

Save    
Chi

"And, his wife is expecting their fourth child in April."

And it just gets worse and worse. I'm thankful their community is rallying around them. Their GFM is up to $173k and they will need it all. I don't know how she will support herself with 4 young children, no home, and their primary source of income gone.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Features Can Tidying Up Result in Life-Changing Magic?
Organizing phenom Marie Kondo promises big results — if you embrace enormous changes and tough choices
Full Story
Tiny Houses Can You Live a Full Life in 220 Square Feet?
By Houzz
Adjusting mind-sets along with furniture may be the key to happiness for tiny-home dwellers
Full Story
Features 9 Real Ways You Can Help After a House Fire
Suggestions from someone who lost her home to fire — and experienced the staggering generosity of community
Full Story