SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theunfinishedhome

Wall Texture Comes Off When Wiped With Water - WHAT?!?!

I recently moved into a newly built home and the builder, K. Hovnanian, did some tile repair work in our master bath which resulted in LOTS of demo dust thickly covering EVERYTHING floor to ceiling. After the tile work was done, I began cleaning the bathroom and gently wiping the dust off the walls using a rag and water, no cleaners. The texture began to remove on a bullnose section of the wall. I have never had this happen in any home in all my life. I mentioned this to the builder, K. Hovnanian, and they said 1) this can happen and the texture on a bull nose can pop off if bumped (WTF?) and 2) that the walls should not be cleaned like that. I have yet to get a response as to how they expect a homeowner to clean their walls. Walls do need to be wiped periodically as reasonable home maintenance.

Question - is there ever a case where wall texture should just wipe off/fall off? Are there any professionals out there who support this statement from the builder? In my eyes, this is an excuse for poor quality materials and application.

Comments (8)