SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_31980380324

Advice - length and depth of built in buffet area

R M
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I am doing a built in china buffet in a small condo and need advice on how long to make the run, how far out to build the lower cabinets, and the distance from the uppers to lowers. the goal is to maximize storage space as much as possible without encroaching too much on the hallway and making sure the hallway entrance and passageway can be used in future once this is permanently onto the wall.

(Note: the Hallway is a turned hallway, meaning the hall does not extend parallel to the wall to the right, you walk back past the wall and go deeper into the condo to bedrooms behind the dinign room wall. So coming and going out of the opening its like you are turning a corner.)

1) how long of a run to build - 60”, 66”, or 78”?

there is a challenge in that the end of the available wall is a hallway and needs to be accessible to move things in and out (like if I ever need a new mattress!) so I need to leave room. The blank wall is 90” but the adjacent wall impinges on this and the hallway entrance Overhangs that by 6”. (See image below that show the different options . I also have Picts of the Existing space with the current furniture that Im replacing .

the design choices are

1) a 60” run that is mimicks the existing china cabinet

2) a 66” run with some extra shelves

3) a 78” run with more cabinets

...the length of the run also depends on the depth of the lower cabinets ....see my next question 2...

2) how far out should I build the lower cabinets - 12”, 15”, 18”?

i am using 12” upper cabinets to make the lower base of my buffet built in. The cabinet designer suggested asking the installer to build the wall out 3” so the bottom sticks out slightly more than the top.this also gives more practical space to put food dishes during a meal etc. the more I build out from the wall the narrower the usbale space gets near the hallway. Will 12” be too useless if I don’t build anything out? Is 15” (hang the 12”cabinet built out 3”) relay going to be noticeable use? Do I need to get to like 19” to make it worthwhile?

3) Should mix 30&36” length on the upper run or just keep all 30“?

this is less of an issue but want to get practical advice. I happen to already have a spare 36”long 9” cabinet so I could mix it into the design - But not if it will be a bad idea. I like the drawing that has the mix of 36 and 30 length Because I think it gives visual interest and also slighty more storage. ...but as a trade off it makes the distance from the counter shorter ....now it’s not in a kitchen so doesn’t need to be totally open to use ...would the backsplash height of 12” and 18” be awkward to use? Should I just make it all 18” across?

here are some pictures of the existing space and some design options

( note: on some of these iterations they were done early and the measurement is off on the wall length I tried to make notes )

Comments (12)