Ukrainian ex-prosecutor claims Biden influenced Burisma investigation

socalnolympia

Some of you will dismiss this as "the Right-wing media", but what other mainstream media is covering this?

Ukrainian former chief prosecutor says he was dismissed from his position, and claims he was told by the Ukrainian President that it was because Biden was angry about the investigation into Burisma. (This was during the Obama Administration)

He says the Ukrainian President had no other choice than to dismiss him from the position and shut down the corruption investigation, because Ukraine desperately needed money from the US for the war with Russia at that time.

As some of you may be aware, there are questions into why Burisma paid Biden's son $900,000 to be a member of its board when he had no real qualifications or prior experience in the energy sector, and in fact did not even speak Ukrainian.

You know, it's just remarkable how they could take this and turn it around and make it about Trump.

What the main point Trump is being impeached for right now is that (allegedly) he threatened to withhold money if the Ukrainian President did not do an investigation into Biden and Burisma - an investigation that we now know seems to have been about Biden using his influence threatening to withhold money from Ukraine to shut down the investigation.

Anyone catch the HUGE irony there?

SaveComment73Like2
Comments (73)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kathy

Shokin? Okay.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

This is the guy who the IMF wanted to dump too because he was so corrupt? You think his say so is for sale???

6 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Bless.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Considering the source.

3 Likes Save    
Carro

Gosh, if Biden is elected, he’s going to be impeached sooooooo fast!

6 Likes Save    
socalnolympia

Oh what a tangled web we weave!

1 Like Save    
elvis

@Carro: ^^^Yeah, precedents and all.

Anyone catch the HUGE irony there?

Everyone.

4 Likes Save    
mudhouse

I've seen this video too, online, and I think there are a lot of questions up in the air about the whole Biden/Burisma connection. I've never been knowledgeable about Ukraine, and it's a little bit taxing to sort through the complicated political history of past presidents and general prosecutors. But I'm trying to understand more of it, because of comments from Yovanovitch's recent testimony in the House intelligence committee's impeachment hearing.

The above video is part of a three part series that OAN is doing. They said another video will be out around Dec 15 (I think.)

3 Likes Save    
mudhouse

And to answer your question in the OP, I doubt we'll see much coverage of any of these issues in the main stream media.

7 Likes Save    
Kathy

Shokin was corrupt and the one Giuliani is meeting with now to drum up support for Trump. You cannot believe that man.

5 Likes Save    
aegis1000

" an investigation that we now know seems to have been about Biden using his influence threatening to withhold money from Ukraine to shut down the investigation. "

Biden didn't make the deciision to withhold US funds from Ukraine. He merely REPRESENTED the Obama administration's decision. Biden didn't have the authority to withhold any monies from Ukraine ... he was only the VICE president.

And Shokin had already been PAID OFF to drop the investigation into Burisma's owner ... long before Biden became involved.

Both the US ... and the European Community agreed ... that Shokin was a corrupt official and threatened to withhold monetary assistance from Ukraine until he was dismissed, ... which he was.

7 Likes Save    
Delilah66

Burisma and the Bidens

-Mykola Zlochevsky owner of Burisma

-January 2014: UK begins investigation of Burisma re: Zlochevsky’s $24M in British bank thought to be laundered money

-Shortly after February 2014: At request of U.K. Ukraine begins investigating Zlochevsky for embezzling public funds

-Spring 2014: Hunter Biden joins Burisma

-December 2014: US sends letter to Ukraine warning they needed to aid UK’s investigation. Threat went unheeded.

-By 2015, UK forced to release Zlochevsky funds due to lack of cooperation from Ukraine

-February 2015 Shokin becomes Ukraine prosecutor general, claimed Burisma in his sights, but does nothing about Burisma or corruption as affirmed by Shokin’s deputy Vitaly Kasko

-September 2015 US Ambassador to Ukraine says Shokin is subverting UK’s investigation

-By 2016, US officials in Ukraine suggest that Obama administration push to oust Shokin and tie loan guarantees to a tougher anti-corruption and remove officials seen as blocking progress.

-March 2016, Joe Biden tells Ukraine loans guarantees would be cut off unless Shokin is fired.

-March 2016, Shokin fired as US required and as supported by G-7, IMF, EBRD

2 Likes Save    
Save    
Delilah66

And to answer your question in the OP, “I doubt we'll see much coverage of any of these issues in the main stream media.”

This has been discussed ad infinitum in the main stream news.

5 Likes Save    
elvis

Biden didn't have the authority to withhold any monies from Ukraine ... he was only the VICE president.

One would never know that if they listened to Biden brag about getting the guy fired. Was he lying?

3 Likes Save    
aegis1000

-February 2015 Shokin becomes Ukraine prosecutor general, claimed Burisma in his sights, but does nothing about Burisma or corruption as affirmed by Shokin’s deputy Vitaly Kasko

So Shokin's deputy contradicts Shokin's story.

Hmmm ... I wonder who we should believe ... ???

It really is a pickle, isn't it ?

1 Like Save    
Mimou-GW

Good job Rudy!

Save    
aegis1000

" One would never know that if they listened to Biden brag about getting the guy fired. Was he lying? "

Biden never said that he was acting on his own authority ... only that he was honored to have been the one to deliver the message ...

3 Likes Save    
Delilah66

Shokin’s deputy got nothing for attesting that Shokin was not pursuing anti-corruption. Another prosecutor general was installed, Lutsenko.

1 Like Save    
aegis1000

" Good job Rudy! "

I am also a great fan of Rudy's work ...

Save    
mudhouse

Shokin’s deputy got nothing for attesting that Shokin was not
pursuing anti-corruption. Another prosecutor general was installed,
Lutsenko.

Yes, I know OAN has a far right bias. But I figure, if I have the
intestinal fortitude to occasionally read Daily Kos, Slate, WaPo, and
NYTimes, I'm sure it won't hurt me to occasionally range to the other
end of the spectrum as well. You know, to broaden my horizons? You never
know what will turn up, when you explore.

The first (5 minute) video in the OAN series on this strange
collection of allegations features a recent interview with Lutsenko. He
has some interesting things to say about Yovanovitch's testimony in the
impeachment hearings.

But, if this has been discussed ad infinitum in the main stream news,
I may just be a bit behind (that wouldn't be unusual, for me.)

1 Like Save    
elvis

So they said they had—they were walking out to a press conference. I said, nah, I’m not going to—or, we’re not going to give you the billion dollars. They said, you have no authority. You’re not the president. The president said—I said, call him. (Laughter.) I said, I’m telling you, you’re not getting the billion dollars. I said, you’re not getting the billion. I’m going to be leaving here in, I think it was about six hours. I looked at them and said: I’m leaving in six hours. If the prosecutor is not fired, you’re not getting the money. Well, son of a b-tch. (Laughter.) He got fired. And they put in place someone who was solid at the time.

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Shokin has been discussed on previous threads here.

And in the news.

Shokin's opinions and statements are old news. Used to be new news. It was covered. In mainstream media.

PS The work of many European leaders as well as those in the US at that led to the downfall of a corrupt prosecutor. The gain from that change wasn't personal, except maybe to the next prosecutor in Ukraine.

2 Likes Save    
socalnolympia

So it seems Biden admitted that he was responsible for getting that prosecutor fired, but claims it was because the prosecutor was corrupt.

This all really reminds me of that 1950 Japanese film Rashomon, where everyone can agree on some of the events that happened but everyone has a different version of it.

1 Like Save    
aegis1000

" ... we’re not going to give you the billion dollars. They said, you have no authority. You’re not the president. The president said—I said, call him. "

This tells you all you need to know. The decision to hold the loan guarantee ultimately rested upon Obama, ... not Biden ...

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Russian propaganda supports its politicians in Ukraine. You can believe Putin or you can believe US intelligence. From what I see the Republicans are benefitting from Russian money and at this point Trump is paying McConnell and others boatloads of money to support Russian narratives.

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

Yes, Biden implicated Obama in his QPQ. Should we extradite them, so they can face their crimes in the country they committed them in? Yes, it's the only way to save face.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

You can believe Putin or you can believe US intelligence.

Why? You can believe Ukraine. Or, you can believe propaganda and yellow journalism. We all know which one the left will choose.

2 Likes Save    
aegis1000

" So it seems Biden admitted that he was responsible for getting that prosecutor fired, but claims it was because the prosecutor was corrupt. "

Biden didn't say that he was responsible for getting the prosecutor fired. He said that he was involved (obviously) ... but that Obama was the real decision-maker here. Nothing that Biden said claimed anything more than that he was a messenger.

" They said, you have no authority. You’re not the president. The president said — I said, call him. "

Save    
lurker111

Wishful imagination ^^^

Biden didn't say that he was responsible for getting the prosecutor fired.

He bragged and bragged about it.

5 Likes Save    
Kathy

Who do you believe in Ukraine at this point? Zelensky still needs US as a benefactor and the Russians are still working against Zelensky.

Trump could have supported Zelensky before he met with Putin but instead he invited Putin’s RH man to the WH. Who do you think Trump is supporting?

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

Who do you believe in Ukraine at this point?

LOL!!! Why do you believe anything from the crats at this point. They've lied about everything. That's all they know how to do.

I believe Biden when he confessed to the QPQ. He loves to brag. I'm sure he'll let it all out if someone strokes his ego.

2 Likes Save    
aegis1000

" Yes, Biden implicated Obama in his QPQ. Should we extradite them, so they can face their crimes in the country they committed them? Yes, it's the only way to save face. "

Obama had the necessary authority to enforce official US foreign policy. Everyone in Ukraine knows that ... so noone's requesting anybody's extradition ...

3 Likes Save    
aegis1000

" He bragged and bragged about it. "

If by that you mean he made the cited statement, ... yes, he did ...

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

Yes, guilty...And he is the one who told us all about it. I couldn't trust him to keep his mouth shut, if I were a crat. He'll expose all of their crimes. Your arguments are irrelevant.

Obama had the necessary authority to enforce official US foreign policy.

Are you also implicating Obama in the QPQ? Do you think Obama will agree with your imagination?

Show us the US foreign policy that authorized the QPQ.

Save    
Kathy

Biden didn’t commit a crime so he had no reason not to talk about it. He didn’t benefit from anything to do with Shokin. Shokin is a Russian puppet. He will say anything to benefit himself now.

Believe Russia at the demise of US democracy.

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

I'm not listening to anyone other than Biden. No crat opinion will ever change my mind. Joe confessed, and it has been confirmed. Pushing their crimes on Trump isn't going to work. Again, Joe confessed to his crimes. Other crimes have been exposed.

2 Likes Save    
Delilah66

“They've lied about everything.”

That sounds like a five year old’s statement (cue stomping feet).

What is “everything” and when was “everything” proven?

The salient point in the issue of Shokin is that the G-7, IMF, and EBRD were aligned with the US in trying to get Ukraine to knock down corruption. Russia was not part of that alliance and was mighty pleased when trump came on the scene.

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

What is “everything” and when was “everything” proven?

Keep up.

The salient point in the issue of Shokin is that the G-7, IMF, and EBRD
were aligned with the US in trying to get Ukraine to knock down
corruption.

That doesn't give anyone an excuse to break the law. The crats were the corruption. Their money laundering scam has been blown wide open.

"Fire that ... who is investigating my son or you don't get the money. You have 6 hours."

2 Likes Save    
Delilah66

Go back to “ Zlochevsky’s $24M” ^^^ stolen from Ukraine public funds. Why were G-7, IMF and EBRD in favor of ousting Shokin? They/We were financing Ukraine and saw our money being drained by corruption rather than in defense against Russia. Your believing otherwise means you support Russia’s encroachment westward.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

I don't believe your coverup story. Of course, the crats will frame someone else for their crimes, like they tried to do to the President of the USA.

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

Which crat was involved with Zlochevsky stealing Ukraine public funds and stashing it in a British bank? Not Biden. The funds were stolen and stashed before either Biden was on that scene. Then Shokin ignored the crats (that would be the “crats” in G7, IMF, and EBRD), and did nothing, running out the clock until the British bank was required to release the money. Some of that money belonged to the US crats and republican’ts. Who benefited?

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

I'm not worried about that. Joe confessed to his QPQ and implicated Obama. The person investigation biden's corruption was fired for investigating biden. Stay on track.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

BTW, you can say I support the Russians all that you need to. It doesn't bother me. Straw man.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

What Trump does not explain is that he and his lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, have sided with the bad guys in this struggle: the Russians, the oligarchs and the compromised officials. The false stories they tell about Joe Biden and other U.S. Democrats result from this misguided alliance.

Giuliani has a record of doing business with Ukrainians close to Russia and to former President Viktor Yanukovych, a stooge of Russian President Vladimir Putin who, after being ousted by a popular uprising in 2014, was accused of looting millions of dollars. To obtain his concocted allegations of wrongdoing, Giuliani relied on two former Ukrainian state prosecutors, both of whom were enemies of the reform movement and were accused by Western officials of blocking anti-corruption investigations.

3 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Off course Shokin is joining the anti-Joe chorus. Biden was part of the International team that worked to get Shokin fired.

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

What Trump does not explain is that he and his lawyer, Rudy
Giuliani, have sided with the bad guys in this struggle:

lol! The crats are the bad guys. Look at how the lunatics have lost their minds trying to coverup their crimes. They've incriminated their children. I'm sure there is a lot of tension in their families, at this point.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Biden was part of the International team that worked to get Shokin fired.

Yeah, right. How hard was it for them to fire him? All it took was a threat of withholding 1 billion dollars.

3 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

"I believe Biden when he confessed to the QPQ. He loves to brag. I'm sure he'll let it all out if someone strokes his ego."

More likely if someone lets him stroke a prepubescent girl's neck!

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

How sad...the left wants to impeach Trump with a bogus accusation, and elect the man who confessed to actually doing it. Troubled minds.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

They've incriminated their children

Look closer to home. They are in the WH now. Trump’s children ordered to take lessons to not steal from charities.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Russian nonsense is only nonsense to those who support the authoritarian takeover of US by Trump and the GOP who are taking Russian money.

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Kathy, can you share a few sources to let me understand why you believe so strongly that Trump and the GOP are taking Russian money? Or even just some thoughts?

If that's true, why didn't the Mueller investigation produce evidence of Russian collusion, after years of investigation, 19 attorneys, 40 agents, 500 warrants, and 2800 subpoenas?

3 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Carol: Just about every post and comment by representatives here from that quarter now is parroting Russian propaganda.

I really don't understand this comment, either. I read and post here a lot. Can you give me an example of what you see as Russian propaganda, being parroted by conservatives here at HT?

Do you mean posting a video by OAN?

My fuzzy understanding of most people with a past in Ukrainian politics is it's best to assume that almost all of them have some connection with corruption. But I don't see how reviewing and discussing reports by anyone, in a forum devoted to the topic of current events, is somehow a shameful activity.

2 Likes Save    
aegis1000

"Fire that ... who is investigating my son or you don't get the money. You have 6 hours."

This ... is a fantasy.

First ... that's not what Biden said.

Second ... Shokin had dropped the Burisma owner's investigation after accepting a bribe.

Third ... Shokin was never investigating Biden's son.

5 Likes Save    
Kathy

In 2015-16, Blavatnik’s contributions went to GOP PACs and top Republican leaders, including McConnell, according to FEC records.

In that cycle, his companies contributed over $6.3 million, with $2.5 million going to McConnell’s Senate Leadership Fund. In 2017, Blavatnik donated another $1 million to the committee, records show, bringing the total to $3.5 million.

The question of Russia-linked money entering US politics has been of interest to law enforcement and congressional investigators since reports of Moscow’s meddling in the 2016 presidential election surfaced that year. Now, numerous ties between the Kremlin and people in the Trump orbit have been revealed, and Russian graduate student Maria Butina haspleaded guilty to trying to infiltrate the Republican party as a foreign agent for Russia.

Mudhouse, there are numerous articles if you are actually concerned about Russian oligarchs supporting American politicians.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Really? The entire narrative against Ukraine and Burisma and the Bidens is coming from Russia/Putin. We have been informed of this by many professionals whose work it is to learn these things.

How convenient that the folks who have now been caught in their wrongdoing have convinced their followers not to believe, not to trust all the entities who work to uncover and report these things. How convenient that the same corrupt people in Ukraine and Russia who were caught have convinced many people in our country that the corruption is all on the side of those who've been working all along to stop them.

7 Likes Save    
elvis

Obama had the necessary authority to enforce official US foreign policy

Isn't that something.

Trump had, and has, the necessary authority to investigate possible corruption of a foreign government that the US was giving aid to.

4 Likes Save    
elvis

Delilah66

“They've lied about everything.”

That sounds like a five year old’s statement (cue stomping feet).

You aren't familiar with the Horowitz report, obviously. That's okay, you may be relying on the same filtered version that so may dems in Congress are (obviously) relying upon. Pay attention.

3 Likes Save    
elvis

mudhouse

Carol: Just about every post and comment by representatives here from that quarter now is parroting Russian propaganda.

I really don't understand this comment, either. I read and post here a lot. Can you give me an example of what you see as Russian propaganda, being parroted by conservatives here at HT?

That will never happen.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

We know about the Ukrainian billionaire who gave tens of millions to the clinton foundation. Old news. Panic in Ukraine. Game over.

Did I actually hear someone from the nut house mumble something about "public trust"? Oh my!

4 Likes Save    
shead

All it took was a threat of withholding 1 billion dollars.

So, let me get this straight: Obama and Biden threatened to withhold 1 billion dollars from Ukraine, which they have admitted to unless the Ukrainians did their bidding and there was no harm, no foul called by ANYONE?!?! Is that not bribery or blackmail, anyone? Hypocrites much.

3 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Credit for this goes to my hubby - does it count as a meme?

6 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Some of you will dismiss this as "the Right-wing media", but what other mainstream media is covering this?

None, because Shokin is not considered truthful.

No crat opinion will ever change my mind. Joe confessed, and it has been confirmed.

As did Trump.

3 Likes Save    
margaritadina

We know it. Biden was stupid enough to brag about his money laundering schema on TV. We also know about Pelosi's son and Kerry's stepson. We know.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

They also gave away their global warming scam to funnel money through underdeveloped countries. What a great scam to get an endless supply of cash. Modern day slavery.

Save    
margaritadina

''ubro(2a)

None, because Shokin is not considered truthful.''

Why isn't he in jail? And he is not, he retired and enjoys his life.

Shokin acted under close eye of Poroshenko, whatever Poroshenko wanted to be ignored, was ignored. You have to know what you dealing with here.

3 Likes Save    
aegis1000

" We know it. Biden was stupid enough to brag about his money laundering schema on TV. We also know about Pelosi's son and Kerry's stepson. We know. "

How strange that the Republicans in power can't touch them ... except to offer idle rumors ...

4 Likes Save    
aegis1000

" I really don't understand this comment, either. I read and post here a lot. Can you give me an example of what you see as Russian propaganda, being parroted by conservatives here at HT? "

Currently, the most prominent - "Ukraine undermined the 2016 US election."

4 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

Maybe a few eyes have been opened by this thread. Good job, Aegis.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Ukrainian ex-prosecutor claims Biden influenced Burisma investigation

And Biden confessed. Bribery and QPQ's are not part of America's foreign policy. No matter how much the crat trolls try to excuse it.

How strange that the Republicans in power can't touch them ... except to offer idle rumors ...

How telling that the crats would try to impeach Trump for investigating biden's crimes.

Save    
Kathy

There are sources in US to investigate wrongdoing. Trump didn’t need to blackmail Ukraine by withholding military aid voted on by Congress. Admitting he was asking his personal attorney to recruit Ukraine to investigate Biden as a condition to aid, is admitting he committed a crime.

Bribery and QPQ's are not part of America's foreign policy. No matter how much the crat trolls try to excuse it.

No matter how much Reps try to excuse Trump. ^^^^

2 Likes Save    
Delilah66

"Shokin acted under close eye of Poroshenko, whatever Poroshenko wanted to be ignored, was ignored. You have to know what you dealing with here."

Shokin has been described as quiet and unassuming and made himself indispensable to Poroshenko. So, you're saying if Poroshenko didn't want Shokin to address corruption, Shokin didn't? That does not debunk that Shokin was fired for failing to pursue corruption. Shokin was known for blocking cases against his allies. In 2016, his office raided one of Ukraine's leading anti-corruption groups that was a frequent critic of Shokin. Whether Shokin did not pursue corruption because Poroshenko told him not to or whether it was Shokin's agenda not to pursue corruption is immaterial. He was dismissed by parliamentary vote.

1 Like Save