SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_poole

Outlet Locations in Island with Columns

Stephanie Poole
4 years ago

Hi! We are redoing our kitchen and are in the process of finalizing our cabinet order. Our island is an "L" shape with two columns (which separate the kitchen from the living room) and two pony walls. The end of one of the pony walls does not have a column. Our existing kitchen island is two levels with several outlets being located in the slightly raised backsplash area. Our remodel will make the island all one level.

My husband has drilled a hole into one of the columns and feels comfortable relocating the island light switch, garbage disposal and one of the outlets into that space. The second column is in the corner and is very difficult to reach from the island so we do not plan to place anything in there. There is a sink in the island so we will need another outlet on the other side. We will either need to drill into the end of the pony wall (but it does not sound hollow like the column) or drill into the side of the cabinet for the outlet. A few questions:

1) Does the electrical code allow outlets, light switches, garbage disposals, etc. to be located in the column above the countertop (as long as it is less than 20")?

2) If it is possible to cut out a section in the side of the pony wall, can we locate the outlet there (as long as not more than 12" below the countertop)?

3) If we have to locate the electrical box in the cabinet, that cabinet is currently planned with drawers. It is a full overlay face framed cabinet by Conestoga. Would I have enough space to put an low profile electrical box on the side of the drawer...or would the drawer need to be modified?

If there are other requirements I may be missing here, please let me know. Thanks so much!

Comments (6)