A birthday cake...or is it just candy?

annie1992

Yes, Madison is 8, time is flying. Ashley called me Wednesday to tell me there would be a small family party Friday night and yes, we need a cake. Yeah, give me 48 hours notice. (sigh) In my small town there are no cake decorating shops and the bakery doesn't sell cake decorations, so I was stuck with what I could find at JoAnn Fabric and Meijer, it was even too late for Amazon Prime.

Think, think, think. Do we have a "theme"? Nope, it's just a party. What does she like better than anything else? KitKat bars, LOL. I can work with that. Oh and we need chocolate cake for the birthday girl but her Dad's side of the family "only eats white cake". Strange, I know, but whatever...

Baked two layers of my favorite chocolate cake, right off the back of the Hershey's cocoa box and made vanilla cupcakes. The cake got frosted and filled with chocolate and then came the KitKat "fence". Yeah, I still have about an inch of space, that'll get filled with chocolate too.

Yes, I got my revenge for the late notice, I went to the party and fed all the kids a ton of sugar, then I went home. Madison told me it was the "best cake EVER", Ashley just shook her head at me. Ha!

Annie

SaveComment15Like10
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annie1992

Oddly enough, not a single cupcake was eaten. I frosted them with strawberry frosting and Makayla said they were too plain, so she put a single Lindt chocolate in the middle of each one:

We even managed to squeeze a "Happy Birthday" and candles in there!

Annie

3 Likes Save    
plllog

Wow! What 8-year-old wouldn't want you for a grandma?

So are there holes in the bottoms or something? So you can get the cupcakes out of the carriers?

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Sweet revenge indeed! :-)) Actually, I'm so jealous. I love to bake but my DIL always wants to do "theme" parties for my grandkids so she orders cakes instead of letting me make them. Phooey.

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

"use a cocktail stick!"

*grin*

thanks, Gordo ....

Save    
party_music50

Awesome cake, Annie!

Save    
arkansas girl

I wonder why no one ate the cupcakes? To me, they look much tastier than the cake with all that candy all over it. Glad that the birthday girl loved it though.

Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

Our local grocery store sells a cake like that. Kit Kats stuck to the frosting of a 2 layer cake, but the center/top is filled with lots and lots of M&Ms. Very colorful.

Save    
Louiseab Ibbotson

You rock!

Save    
annie1992

Plllog, there are no holes in the bottoms of those carriers, the cupcakes sit high enough that you can just grab the top of the cupcake itself and lift it out. The rest of the carrier is a deep plastic bowl with a post in the middle and those carriers fit down over the dowel, three layers deep. The top snaps on and there is a handle, so you can carry 2 dozen cupcakes, stacked 3 deep, without crushing any. It's very handy, and I bought it on clearance last year after Christmas.

arkansas girl, my daughter tells me that Madison had some friends over the next day to play and although the cake was all gone, they ate cupcakes, so they did get eaten, they were just second choice for the kids. Too much candy for me, I didn't eat either one, but I just thought it was odd that I was specifically told that people did not eat chocolate and then that's what they ate!

Annie

1 Like Save    
plllog

Thanks for the description, Annie! That cupcake contraption sounds mighty handy, and obviously easier to get the cakes out of than it looks. I love that each one is on an outside edge and with more exposure in the circle than they'd have in a straight line. (I have cupcake issues. I admit it. ;) )

So, I'm guessing that your Hershey's chocolate cake is more appealing to your SIL's people than the kind of hit you over the head with chocolate cakes that are currently popular, and that they like candy. ;) My mother never cared much for chocolate in general, but occasionally liked it if it wasn't too strong. She probably would have chosen the cupcake, but I could see her liking your chocolate cake (and giving her portion of candy to the kids).

Save    
Fun2BHere

Wow! What an awesome cake!

Save    
Compumom11

Annie knocks it out of the park again winning the fabulous Grandma award!

2 Likes Save    
annie1992

Well, fabulous if you ask the kids. Maybe not so much if you ask the parents, LOL.

Annie

1 Like Save    
bcskye

Annie, you never cease to amaze us. Great cake and pretty cupcakes.

Madonna

Save    
annie1992

Thanks, Madonna! I'm told there are still four cupcakes left, although I can't imagine they are very good any more. The frosting got kind of soft, it was hot in the kitchen, and so it didn't hold its shape as well as I would have liked, and I didn't like the fake strawberry flavoring from the extract, it was Wilton and I won't do that again.

Annie

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular The Easiest, Most Versatile Cake Stand You'll Ever Make
Show off sweet somethings and your own impressive handiwork — just don't let on how little effort it took
Full Story
Farmhouses Houzz Tour: Candy Colors in a Swedish Family Farmhouse
Pink, blue and yellow Christmas decorations stand in for traditional red and white in this charming country home
Full Story
Houzz TV Favorites Candy-Colored Collections Wow in Manhattan
Pez dispensers, cheerful toys and pop culture memorabilia bring personality to this apartment
Full Story