SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Which Myrica Shrub Variety Does Best in San Francisco Bay Area?

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I ran across a shrub named Myrica Cerifera, an evergreen from North Carolina that does well in zones 7 to 10 and grows large and rapidly. What impressed me about this shrub - and what potentially makes it interesting for my location - is that the shrub does well in very wet soils, but once established it tolerates a wide variety of soil conditions. My California clay is very wet during the rainy season and the area I want to put this plant in gets all of the runoff of water from the house, so it constantly drowns during extended weeks of rain. But during the very dry and hot Summer - and given the high cost of California water - the plant might end up getting minimal water. So a plant that can tolerate both wet and dry conditions is perfect for my planting location.

My question is which of the 30+ Myrica varieties would:

* Grow over 10 feet tall

* Meet the above wet and dry soil tolerance

* Do well in a West Coast zone 9a planting?

I know there is a variety named Myrica Californica, which grows a bit shorter (but still tall). Unfortunately, Californica looks like a much sparser plant. What really attracted me to Cerifera was its denseness. Are there Myrica varieties that would meet the requirements but also maintain density?

Final question: does anyone here know of a South Bay Area nursery that has some 15 to 25 gallon specimens in stock?

Comments (7)