SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chad_h44

Combi steam for (mostly) Wolf/Sub-Z kitchen

BigDaddy
4 years ago

Hi all,

First time poster to the forum and appreciate your patience.

We are working on a pretty significant kitchen that will be semi farm style, and we love the Wolf aesthetic. Function is super important to me, aesthetics (including semi-matching appliances generally) to my partner, and had thought we’d narrowed it down to the following mix of cooking appliances to satisfy both of us:

- 48” Wolf range top with double griddle (seems like this is the best griddle on the market?)

- 30” (trimmed) Wolf Combi Steam Oven

- 30” Wolf M Series oven (we Strongly prefer the Professional series trim) likely in the same cabinet column

- Wolf warming drawer (maybe in the same cabinet column, maybe not)

- a Wolf drawer microwave or maybe speed oven in the same trim (maybe in the same cabinet column, maybe not)

- maybe....a small induction top elsewhere in a prep area of the kitchen. Cannot convince my partner to go full induction instead of gas, so trying to sneak this in.

etc

The point is, stuff is really functional, but matches. And I’m terrified by how much it costs, but might spring for it. With a lot of pain. We just got preliminary cabinet costs today on top of all of the appliances, so I’m feeling especially cost sensitive right now.

Anyway, I thought the appliance choice was settled until I started reading and learning more about steam ovens, and I’m fearing that the Wolf one is super dumbed down, has insufficient features (No broiler? No plumbed version? And do I understand correctly that you don‘t have control of steam level at a given [dry bulb] temperature, and instead give up full control and understanding to Wolf’s program, whatever that is?) and now I’m doubting all of this and trying to figure out what to do to salvage things.

Is the Wolf convection steam oven as “consumer easy” (aka dumbed down, with lack of control) as it seems, or am I missing it? I’d like whatever combi oven I get to be our primary oven.

If I’m not far off the mark on my judgment of the Wolf, what are the alternatives to provide a functional steam oven but some coherence with the Wolf (Professional) aesthetic? I‘ve thought about:

- putting a Miele XXL combi oven (seems like the best bang for the buck) into the mix as the sole non-Wolf product, but that doesn’t seem to coordinate well aesthetically with the Likely adjacent Wolf M series oven; and generally Miele seems a bit to modern for our taste, unless there are trim options I’m not seeing.

- Gaggenau??? But the cost of that is giving me even more heartburn. And to maybe make it look right by pairing a Gagg combi 400 with a Gagg Convection 400...double gulp.

- One other thought is sidestepping the aesthetic issue a bit by hiding the combi oven in the island on the back side of the oven instead of stacking with the M series. Have heard this it isn’t a great idea to place it so low since you’ll get a face full of steam whenever you open it...but I’m equally concerned about building it into a cabinet column and ruining the custom cabinets with said bursts of steam.

Any thoughts here? Am I being overly harsh on the above options? Or on the Wolf CSO? Do I just need to suck it up and pay even more for two Gagg ovens? Any other thoughts/alternatives here?

Also, could someone please point me to any of the latest info on this blog or elsewhere with thoughts on the best current combi oven(s)/pros/cons of features regardless of aesthetics? Just trying to make sure my thinking is right on what I’m looking for in the combi oven.

background: I’m a recovering chemical engineer+biology background, cooking for a large family. I do a lot of water bath sous vide already and really love the thought of learning to cook with a combi oven, for many reasons. Part of me just enjoys cooking and wants to simplify and surrender to whatever Wolf wants me to cook at the touch of a button...but part of me can’t wait to devour all the volumes of Modernist Cuisine over Christmas break (I.e. I want control over the physics of the oven).

would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks so much in advance.

side note: have any combi ovens figured out how to set a wet bulb temp yet???

Comments (9)