SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ashleyrogers

120" x 72" (10 x 6') kitchen island, big but perfect! Countertop?

Ashley Rogers
4 years ago

After multiple, local professionals weighed in on our kitchen/mudroom/pantry/fam rm design (cha-ching!), we've settled on this design (see picture, ignore ugly white side-door, it's going to become a window). Perimeter wall on LEFT will be refrig, cabinets, range etc. My kitchen space is 17 feet long by 16 1/2 feet wide. I wanted a big island. The architect designed it as 11'x6' and I scaled it back to 10'x6'. There is a HUGE main sink in it (36" by 22"), the rest will be used for food prep, seating area for 4 stools on the window-side, arts & crafts, there's a niche for dog food bowls at one end, and we'll use this big island to serve a buffet during the Super Bowl of course! The length of the island will be centered under the vaulted ceiling and run down towards the new 4 panel black doors (slightly covered by leaning dry wall at the moment but fabulous view out the back).

Even though I've done months of reading about kitchen remodels, I discovered too late that there are very few countertop options for an island this size without resorting to the use of a dreaded SEAM! I'm looking for JUMBO SLABS, in either marble or quartz, but never granite, been there done that, tired of it. The countertop aesthetic I hope to achieve is WHITE background with light to moderate grey veining (like white carrara); beige veins would be a huge plus if I could find it because my island base will be rift-sawn limed white oak!!! I've looked at many options, but am curious to hear Houzz users' recommendations. So tell me your idea for a fantastic looking variety of a super Jumbo slab, marble or quartz, for my countertops.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE for your valuable insight! Y'all are lovely and selfless and kind to offer 5 minutes of your time. Hugs & cheers to you!

PERIMETER WALL (Refrig on left, slide-in range in middle, secret door to mudroom on right):

I S L A N D:

Comments (39)