SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

The new David Austins are up!

Wahoooooo!’

Santa ( still my mom ;). Is bringing me Emily bronte and the mill on the floss !!! The other looks cute but like it will fade . Oh my goodness I’m so excited!!

Comments (73)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Nancy ! Welcome to the forum. I love your photos , you grow some great singles. Do you have darlows enigma ? I love the scent of that ! I used to have the charlatan, what a beautiful rose. So is Jacqueline.. I love singles !! Do tell about your shade situation . I see a tall tree , and a fence . Is it mostly shade there and the roses do well ? I have a corner that really isn’t sunny at all just indirect and I was wondering if I should push my luck ... also love your clematis too , they are my second favorite plant !

Stephanie, beautiful Lyda rose!! Such a pretty color !!!

Well I am so excited for these new intros , lots coming out this year to love !! I’m so glad to have rosey friends to share in the excitement

• Nancy NorCAL9b
    4 years ago

Kim, I bought JdP from Heirloom Roses. I just checked and they are out of stock.

• Related Discussions

adding some new David Austins - please help on selection! :)

Q

Comments (18)
    I only grow two Austins and one is a dog who despite the fact that his flowers are to die for (all three or four of them in as many years) has a shovel standing right next to him - so the only first hand recommendation I could make would be for Windemere - the color is very delicate, the blooms are lovely, the bush has filled out nicely in the same period of time that the other has languished and she is not stingy - the down side is the blooms seem almost like day lilies in staying power. However there are lots of them coming on all the time to make up for that. In defense of the other rose it is own root and my Windemere is grafted, which should initially make some difference but not as much I would think as I am seeing. I believe the slacker is just a dud - so I don't want to mention his name and cause his brothers to suffer, perhaps undeservedly.
    ...See More

My David Austin by UPS experience

Q

Comments (5)
    Seil, the interior pruning on Carding Mill is still evident. They removed a number of canes from the middle of the plant. What is left is a beautiful shape with a clear interior. I have seen a video from The San Jose Municipal Rose Garden on pruning. And the woman who did the pruning shows how to prune to keep the interior clear of too many canes. She also shows how to prune the bush to make it shaped, as she called it, like a vase. My CM is free of interior 'clutter' and is shaped beautifully. The other two English types are (or were) quite tangled. The David Austin directly from David Austin, as you said, is much better cared for. Thanks for your input, andrea
    ...See More

David Austin Roses in the UP (Michigan)

Q

Comments (3)
    Hello from Ontario I have had pretty good success with DA roses (Wenlock, Golden Celebration, Tradescant, Abe Darby, Kathryn Morley, Gertrude Jekyll). I think mine are all grafted. Protecting them from winter is key as Stargazer5b said, I sometimes out of laziness, cut back to about a foot, throw some mulch eg compost around the base and cover with an old blanket held down with a couple of small rocks. Some of my DA roses have survived 6 winters this way. Uncover when the forsythia is in bloom, ie ground is warm enough. Enjoy! Mary Anne
    ...See More

Up to 30% off Select David Austin Roses (offer valid only 12/21/17)

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks Helen! I have been watching them everyday . Some good deals . Sheila , If you sign up they will send emails gosh it seems like 3-5 times a week. They have random sales on what I think are their favorites. Like the peace rose .. always pushing that one ! Lol
    ...See More
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

Nancy. thanks for sharing your incredible singles

I have wanted Jaqueline du pre for a while now

I am just waiting for an openopen spot

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

Has anyone got the new DA paper catalog yet in the mail?

Original Author
    4 years ago

I haven’t yet sultry ! But FYI , they said they will apply the code before they ship if you order now , and call them. And also o was told spirit of freedom will be online soon ( this week or next !) now I’m in a pickle with all these climbers lol

4 years ago

The code as in coupon? What % off are they offering this time? The very first catalog I got several yrs ago was for 25% off, after that, it was 15%, I think. That would be great if SoF was available again. I noticed Evelyn and several others already say sold out! How can that be when the paper catalog isnt even out yet for 2020. Thats crazy.

Lily, I also have too many climbers. You should just do like Cori Ann and plant them all around the entire yard against the fence lol. She had some sort of lattice at the top of her fencing, I think, and used wires to secure them.

4 years ago

Speaking of SoF I have her just sitting in a large pot and she is like 8 or 9ft and she is supporting herself lol. Very upright too. I dont know how long I could get away with that.

Original Author
    4 years ago

I thought you were asking if the catalog came bc Of the coupon code sultry !! I normally wait to order til that comes . Last year , my catalog came with no code! Someone here posted it and I was so grateful. Then I randomly got another one in the mail with a code .

i have 4 climbing rose spaces left in the ground. Then a long driveway I can line with pots . I already had nahema in mind and Bathshea for the prime place but then If I put Bathsheba in the front yard and keep pinks there I may like it better. I don’t know what to do !!! I love too many roses !! Does SOF bloom well for you in that pot ?

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

Nancy, Your Jacqueline is beautiful with those dark stamens. Welcome to the forum!
    Perma, I love your Maria Matilda with such vulnerable beauty.
    Sultry, Lyda Rose in my backyard is in pretty good soil along the back fence and is about 3-4 feet in it’s first year. It gets sun from 8am-noon in winter and 5am-2pm in summer. However, it is one of only 3 varieties that I have in multiples all from Burlington. The other 2 are Marie Pavie and Sweet Chariot. The Lyda Rose in the front yard was planted at the same time and gets almost the same sun, maybe 30-60 minutes less BUT it is only 12 inches high and had miniature blooms to match its small size. The only thing I can think, is after the roses were planted we had new windows installed and small Lyea Rose is under a big window so it would get tall enough for me to see the blooms from inside. I think the soil got compacted by large worker boots stomping around it. And maybe the dripper needs an upgrade too. So an interesting learning experience. Now that the rains have started I could loosen the soil around it and add some composted manure. I really love the look of Lyda Rose with its sweet innocence and it’s pretty much thorn free as well.

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    4 years ago

I’m tempted by both Emily Brontë & tottering-by-gently, but don’t really have a good space for either, so feel like I should hold off for now. (I’m also super excited about 2021, when hopefully both Eustacia Vye & Gabriel Oak will be available - I want both of those!)

As a side note, I noticed that Dame Judi Dench has been taken off the website - I guess they had too many problems with that one?

P.S. Love everyone’s bee-friendly singles!!!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    4 years ago

Interesting about Dame Judi Dench. I ordered it last year, potted it up to take really good care of it - it just kept declining and finally died. Wonder if it will another like Summer Song - a gorgeous rose - I tried 2-3 of them and they did not thrive and died. It is no longer sold in the US.

4 years ago

Alameda - I was wondering the same thing - it does look like it’s still currently available on the UK website.

• Nick 10bSW17
    4 years ago

I'm holding a space for Eustacia Vye next year. MoF looks pretty, but I'm worried the blooms will be too small for my liking. From the pictures, they look about the same size as Roald Dahl and those are a bit small for me. I planted a Sir John Betjeman last year, and its 50-cent piece sized blooms were a disappointment, I see they aren't offering him this year so I must not be the only one underwhelmed with it.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 years ago

The entire bed of Dame Judi Dench at the Austin trial grounds in Dallas are all practically dead, I suspect there is some serious suicidal tendency with this variety. Out of the hundreds of varieties there, none looks nearly as bad. Wonder how it made it to commerce. I wouldn’t.

• berrypiez6b
    4 years ago

Good idea, I'm going to reserve a prime spot too ( although there was no room for any more roses last year, and I already have 5 more roses coming in Spring). Waiting for Eustacia , it gives me time to observe which plants should stay , and which to be given away. It's enjoyable to have my favorites for a while, then send some plants off to make someone else happy , and make room for my new favorite. It has become my small fry trial garden that usually remains around a dozen roses.

Some are a keeper as I suspect Eustacia Vye will be.

photo is Autumn Damask I can still walk over to my neighbor's yard to smell it's euphoric scent

4 years ago

Stephanie, I hope your Lyda takes off for you. Amending the soil with compost sounds like a good plan. As long as she is healthy, maybe she is just happily growing nice long roots under the ground :) Some of these roses are so slow! lol. I have a few, mainly the antique roses that just seem to take forever!

• Christian
    4 years ago

I desperately want Emily but I don’t think her delicate coloring has a chance of holding up in the hot dry summers here in Idaho.

4 years ago

Ben, thank you for your comments on D. Judi Dench! I love apricot roses and was so hoping for that one to do well! It just withered away into nothingness. Am "glad" it wasnt just me! I bet David Austin will do away with it . Summer Song was just gorgeous - until it died. I tried 2 of them, with same results. No need messing with a rose that will not grow. Hopefully DA will come out with another apricot that will grow. Actually.....Carding Mill is a bit spindly........

Judith

4 years ago

Maybe DJD can’t take the heat? That could explain why it did well in England, but not in the TX/CA/AZ growing fields. Mine made it through the summer alive, but I get a lot of coastal influence so my yard stays relatively cloudy & cool - I can assure you that it’s not my amateur gardening skills!

4 years ago

Mine was in a big pot right next to The Alnwick Rose. That one is a big bushy healthy thing. Dame Judi didnt get tall, had skinny wimpy canes, smallish blooms and not many of those, and finally kicked the bucket. They got watered and werent in the hot Texas sun. One thrived, one died. I am hoping its just the problem with the group in the fields - Palatine had some problems there - and not the rose itself. I will try it again if it ever becomes available. It would be interesting to see how others fared with this rose. The color was pretty - I love apricot roses. Summer Song was one of the prettiest colors David Austin has bred - I tried and lost 3 of those.

4 years ago

Judith the Dame Judis at Farmers Branch looked like an atom bomb hit them! But everything around them looked ok. I had thought about taking a pic just so others could be forewarned. You should ask Austin for a refund/exchange.

How about Crown Princess Margareta for apricot? I have a friend in Dallas that has a gorgeous plant

4 years ago

Thanks Ben for that update on Dame Judi. So its not just me. I am going to update my order tomorrow and will ask them about a replacement with another rose - they offer a 5 yr. guarantee I believe. I am ordering 8-10 roses and order every year so am a good customer. I have and really like Crown Princess Margareta. Carding Mill is a favorite. Do you grow that one? I may get another. Tempted to try Grace but I have seen that one in person and the blooms are small. The Lady Gardener tempts me......its a little lighter apricot than I prefer, but if its a good rose, it might be worth trying. Which Austins do the best for you? Did you see any at Farmers Branch that caught your eye?

4 years ago

I don’t grow too many Austins, most don’t last long enough for me. I do have Abe, Evelyn (great), Golden Celebration, Molineaux, Poet’s Wife. From the Farmer’s Branch garden I liked Sharifa Asma and Olivia Rose Austin. I still want to try Summer Song, I’ve heard from many that it’s a disaster, but the color is so unique, and I’ve heard the fragrance is great. Another one I’ve heard that’s really good in torrid summers is Claire Rose (not Claire Austin), but ti’s also hard to find

• Sylvia Wendel
    4 years ago

a terrific Austin apricot I grew was Tamora. Thrives in crazy California summer sun. Fragrant too! I’m not sure if DA still carries it, but I’m sure there are sources for it somewhere. Another TamOra advantage is that it stays small. No octopus canes.

• Nola z5aWI
    4 years ago

I've been seeing a beautiful apricot on IG called Ambridge rose. The pictures are beautiful, all cut and in vases. I don't know anything about it, if anyone wants to elaborate??

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Tamora is a lovely rose that is available from David Austin (just checked). I've grown mine for about 12 years, and she's a constant bloomer in our hot summers. Mine was from Pickering in Canada and is grafted (multiflora?). Diane

{{attachment:4280033}}

{{attachment:4280034}}

{{attachment:4280035}}

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Well, my post just disappeared. So I'll try again. Tamora is currently on David Austin's site. I've grown mine for about 12 years, and she is a constant bloomer in our hot summer sun. She was from Pickering in Canada and is probably grafted on multiflora rootstock. Diane

4 years ago

I also love the apricots! And, Tamora is definitely still available - I remember Diane mentioning that she really likes it, and has some gorgeous photos of it. I just got a potted one this fall, so too soon to tell (it does have a myrrh fragrance, which isn’t my personal favorite). Re Ambridge Rose, I saw one in bloom at a local nursery & it was a beautiful soft apricot color, but I‘ve read that it’s disease prone so I haven’t tried it.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Cyndita, we cross posted--ha. More Houzz tricks above.Can't figure out the attachments things rather than my photos. Diane

4 years ago

That’s funny, Diane - your ears must have been burning! And, as always, love the photos!

4 years ago

Tamora photos in an old DA catalog were what made me first fall in love with Austin Roses and want to grow them.

Diane, your Tamora is outstanding.

I just read on the DA site, that Tamora will stay reliably small (3ft) even in a warm climate. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Sultry and cyndita, thanks. I can confirm that after 12 years of growing, Tamora is reliably small, and we have hot summers. She got a little bigger last summer, but is still within the 3 X 3 ft range. Virtually all my other Austins are large, some even huge, but Tamora is the petite lady. Diane

4 years ago

Ben, I have all the Austins you mentioned. Poet's Wife is a new one I got from their potted rose selection a month or so ago. I was very taken with the one beautiful butter yellow bloom it presented before cold weather hit. Think I am going to really like this one. I have 3 Abe Darbys. I adore this rose, but none have gotten very robust but are growing well and will do fine, with time.

I was wondering and would like your opinion.......I have never grown anything on Fortuniana stock, which is supposed to make a rose grow bigger. Have you ever grown roses on this rootstock? Was thinking of getting an Abe growing on this and see if it will make a bigger plant.

I would be a sucker for a 3rd time to try Summer Song. I just dont know what the deal is with this rose - I put them both in prime spots - sun, but not hot afternoon sun, rich soil, water.......it would do ok for awhile but in summer, just died in stages. Like Dam Judi Dench. Bet they have similiar genetics. Summer Song's color was just beautiful. I think if I could get it again, I would try it in a pot. Dont know why they dont just go on and offer it in the US - plenty of people would buy it knowing it might not live. I would buy it even without the 5 year guarantee. Could grow it as an annual, LOL!

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    4 years ago

Tamora is a petite plant with charming blooms. However the fragrance of her flowers are a bit odd to me. You may or may not like it that aspect. It's described as myrrh but definitely nothing like the cherry candy cane of Boscobel to my nose.

I just noticed they raised the prices of Austins, they are $29 now. And $31 for newer varieties.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Dar!! Your name is new to me, I see you live in California? I’m in so cal.. was wondering what David Austins you grow and love . Photo and size would be so helpful!! My tentative order list is :

Bathsheba

vanessa bell

desdemona

sharifa asma

Eglantyne

ann Boleyn

Wedge wood

interested in your thoughts if you have these, and any other David’s that you are happy with ?

4 years ago

Judith,

The majority of my roses (about 60 out of 100) are on Fortuniana. My Abe is on Fort , very vigorous and almost always in bloom.

• Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN
    4 years ago

Im so glad i ordered before they raised there prices . Lordt david austin makes a killing .

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    4 years ago

Hi Lilyfinch! I am about an hour north of you in Ontario, but I have only grown a handful of Austins like Abe Darby, Benjamin Britten, Tamora, and Windermere. All did good except for some minor powdery mildew. I can't comment on any others.

Windermere was a fragrant bloom machine and should be a replacement for all the icebergs we have planted in the landscape in this area. The only issue was the blooms fell apart after a 3 days.

I forgot to mention I only have Young Lycidas at the moment and its in a large nursery pot. My first year with it. Super fragrant but very thin stems and tends to nod.

4 years ago

Just added to my order......they do now offer Pegasus........thought they had discontinued that one, so I was happy to get it. They applied the discount code which helps. They will be getting catalogs in the office on Monday, so they should be mailed out soon. I live 2 hours away, have to be in Tyler next Friday so will go by and pick mine up.

Ben, I do want to try a few, specifically Abe Darby, on fortuniana. Where do you buy your roses on this rootstock?

Judith

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Judith, do you have the discount code? I don’t get a catalog until I get my gift certificate on Christmas but would like to add it to the order I already placed for Spirit of Freedom, Royal Jubilee and Ancient Mariner.

Thanks!

4 years ago

I dont have it but bet you could call the DA office and they could add it for you - thats what they did for me when I called this morning and added a few more. I will be able to tell you Friday when I pick up my catalog, but calling on Monday would be quicker. They close at noon Central time. BTW, they are out of Sweet Juliet and Mary Rose, there may be others.

4 years ago

Hi Judith,

All my Fort grafted roses have come from K&M. I usually email them my list, then call to confirm and give payment.

4 years ago

Thanks Ben! This is a rootstock I havent tried but looking at your gorgeous roses has inspired me! I adore Abe Darby and would like to see what it will do on this Fort. rootstock. BTW.......interested in seeing what you will be ordering this year - have you made a list or ordered anything? I still havent made it up to the "new" Chamblees yet......doesnt look like it will be before Christmas either. January is usually cold and rainy so guess when weather gives us a few good days in February I will go.

• michluvroses
    4 years ago

The code from DA is UKA or UKB, 15% off. @oursteelers 8B PNW

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Original Author
    4 years ago

Dar - thank you for sharing your experiences!! You are by louies nursery ? Or Guerrero’s ? I went to Guerrero for the first time this summer. 100 degrees , 7 mo pregnant and so happy to get out of the house without my toddler . Haha they were so nice there ! And their prices ! So good . Do you have any other Rose nursery to recommend?

4 years ago

Judith,

I didn’t order any new K&M roses, I think I already have what I want off of their inventory. I think you’ll be very happy with Abe on Fort, mine is almost never out of bloom! I’d love to visit the new Chamblees just to see what it looks like now, and also of course Certified trailer sale next year. This is what I’ve ordered from other nurseries, not sure where they’ll all fit:

Chandos Beauty

Calfornia Dreamin

Marc Chagall

Julie Andrews

Beautiful Day

Palatine

Dee-Lish

Augusta Louise

Perfume Factory

Fun in the Sun

Charlene Princesse De Monaco

Scentuous

Queen of Elegance

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    4 years ago

Lilyfinch, I am closer to Guerero's and I agree great prices. I remember only a couple of years back they had killer deals. Rose prices have gone up so dramatically it makes me sad :( .

Another nursery I would recommend is San Gabriel Florist and Nursery in LA County. Their rose inventory is currently set aside so they utilize the space for bare roots. I called last weekend and they said their bare roots should be in by January. They stock David Austins and many other types like Romanticas.

Sunshine Growers use to have tons of roses, but the location in Ontario looks like it is closing and they have not renewed the rose inventory for almost a year. Which is a shame because their rose prices were just right.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    4 years ago

I have Judi Dench grafted from David Austin.

It bloomed tiny little things a few times this year, then I thought* it died away to nothing. I couldn't keep the leaves on it and I thought all the main canes had died.

Once fall came, it revived itself and put out new growth from down low.

I'll have to look today but I think it still has leaves after a couple of hard freezes and snows. That one and my two Munstead Woods are the only ones in that bed left with any foliage.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022