mtnrdredux_gw

WWYD Ugh need suggestions

mtnrdredux_gw
4 years ago

So ladies, tell me what you would do...

Comments (55)

• arkansas girl
    4 years ago

Actually, $1400 seems reasonable to ME! Body work is expensive no matter where you have it done! I think they are very lucky that's all it is!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked arkansas girl
  • arcy_gw
    4 years ago

Pretty sure these days $1400 is about a minimum for scratch and dent repair--BMW or not. Truth is the 'fix' is the biggest part of these little accidents. They always take time and effort and there is no compensation for that. I think it is reasonable for them to ask for a second opinion, but they might feel more satisfied if they had pictures and asked around themselves. I live in a no fault state so everyone pays their own anyway...except for the deductable. That is all I would be asking of them.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked arcy_gw
  • Related Discussions

WWYD--need advice.

Q

Comments (21)
    Such good advice from so many wise women. The school year is such a stressful time for me. Thank you so much. I was ready to call and make an appointment with the principal today for next week to talk about switching my son but now I think I will mull it over this weekend. You have given me a lot of food for thought. I will take time later to try to address you individually but please know that I gave a lot of thought to each of your post. A little more info. The new teacher is under 30 and has taught for 2 yrs in another school but I have heard really good things about him. Also, please know that indeed this is a great school that cares about the kids and I know that a lot of thought was probably put into placing the kids. I have no doubt that they have the best interest of my child in mind. My boys were put together 2 yrs ago for my benefit so that the boys would have the same tests, homework,etc. When they were not together, especially with Ds special needs I thought I would lose it. It was an experiment to put them together but it saved my sanity. Plus with Ds executive function issues, his brother helps me stay on top of a lot of things. He writes down the assignments, brings home study guides, knows when test are, etc. He doesn't mind and doesn't resent it in the least. It's hard to describe how bad Ds executive function issues are....working memory, etc. I know they will have to be separated eventually and if I thought keeping them together was hurting my other son I would not. D does not have any behavioral issues, thank heaven. Except for the occasional meltdown at home. I don't want to unfairly judge the new teacher and not give him a chance. I am just going to think things over and decide what to do on Monday. I just know that I love my son and that things are hard for him under the best of circumstances. I can't afford for him to have any less than the best.
    ...See More

layout -- ugh -- gc needs me to make a decision

Q

Comments (44)
    There's no basement (we're in a So. Cal. split level built alongside a hill). We don't have a mudroom or a laundry room to borrow storage space from. The laundry is in a closet off of the family room. We're currently storing paper towels and bulk items in the wetbar that we don't use (also in the Family Room -- but it's going to get the boot one of these days). The wall between the dining room and family room is only 4" thick -- total, although I'm probably going to beef this up slightly because the family room is currently covered in paneling (it's been painted, but as long as I'm remodeling, we might as well fix that) and there's no insulation in the walls. Other thought I had was to do a partial half wall with support columns there to open the family room up to the dining/kitchen area. I would have to keep part of the wall so I have something to set my barrister's bookcase against, but a half wall would let the cook see the TV. I could move the message center/backpack storage into the closet in the Family Room with a bit of an interior closet remodel (it's currently our games/toys/crafts/office supply closet). That wouldn't be too inconvenient since it is just around the corner from the front entry at the top of the stairs. Here's my floor plan again to help with visualization. The master bedroom is missing from this drawing (it's on the other side of the kitchen) and the kids' rooms/bathroom/linen closet on the third level are not quite to scale (they were sleeping when I was trying to draw it out). Here is a link that might be useful: Floorplan
    ...See More

Need an exterior color to go with pinky peach (ugh) brick!

Q

Comments (8)
    Oh fer pete sakes - 3 replies of "paint the brick", seriously? It only looks icky peach because the white contrasts w/it in such a way to bring out the peachiness. Color is very much about what other colors are in close proximity and reflecting off of it. You need a color that will make the brick read more like a reddish brown or a rich terra cotta beige. Perhaps a beigey-browny creamy beige midway between roof and brick color would pull it all together - with trim more of a cream than that stark white. I would spend some $$ on a color consultant, personally. If you post on Home Dec there are some color savvy folks there, but still youll probably get a lot of paint it white or paint it gray. If thats what you think you have to do (you dont, but if you think that) then I would suggest looking into masonry stains vs. paint which becomes, at best, an ongoing maintenance hassle and at worst a peeling mess.
    ...See More

Need to make a veggie tray - ugh!

Q

Comments (44)
    i love that you made the skewers self standing! The question of how much people eat is deserving of its own thread. I'd think the cookbook ladies would bring appetites, but maybe if they gained the “Covid 19” they were being very careful? When the hoards come to my house the eat like locusts. Less now that the mean age is higher, but they eat. At open to all lunches post-services, where the food is pretty spare—enough for everybody, just, but little variety—there's usually only enough left to prove there was enough for everybody, but if there's a morning bagel breakfast meeting, there are usually a lot of leftovers. I don't know if that's poor planning, if the current generation want something different in the morning, or that the discount for bulk hits right around the quantity needed. Most people don't eat before services and if they're eating after, they're probably not on their way to another meal. Perhaps at a 9 or 10 o’clock breakfast/brunch, they've already eaten or are going to have lunch after. I was once in charge of such things for a ladies’ group, and other than tem asking for more protein and veg, and adjusting the bagel count for those who would break a half bagel in half, rather than taking a half bagel and eating how much they wanted, they all ate well, always.
    ...See More
  • eld6161
    4 years ago

Money is a funny thing. How we spend it and where we spend it is very personal. It really isn't for us to say whether they can afford it or not.

The pickle here is that they feel the quote is too high. Get the second quote as mdln suggests.

I would then say, "Here is the second quote, how can we resolve this fairly?"

Who knows, maybe the second quote will be a bit less and this new quote will feel better to them. They will also know that you did what you could possibly get a lower price.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked eld6161
  • localeater
    4 years ago

I have actually been in very similar situation. I did go and get a second estimate, I tried to ensure the same workmanship was estimated by discussing details. The second estimate was fairly comparable, maybe 100-200 less. They paid the lower estimate, I went to my preferred repair person and paid the difference myself.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked localeater
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

Same as what mdln said. The second estimate will support the first. I thought second estimates were a thing of the past, especially where a newer car was concerned. There are many sensors in a bumper these days and a dealer will know best where to test these and ensure no damage has been done. I have a BMW and had a similar bump-in and the dealer told me it’s always best with a bumper to have the dealer do the work.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked OutsidePlaying
  • jojoco
    4 years ago

I hate situations like this. I would definitely get a second opinion from another BMW dealer--even if the same person owns both. You aren't doing it for yourself, but simply to help make the pill a little less bitter. Hopefully the second quote will come in a bit higher.

I agree with the others, $1400 is not excessive--it just sounds ungodly so to those who haven't had any fender-benders.

Not only would I pay the $1400, but I'd throw in a box of macaroons or something for the additional inconvenience of bringing it to the shop, etc.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked jojoco
  • maire_cate
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

If getting the second quote is quick and easy AND you feel that it might be an important gesture to make to your friends then I'd consider it. But if it means spending hours driving to another dealership and waiting while they prepare the estimate then I wouldn't bother - especially if you feel the appraisal would be the same. My dealer owns 6 brands (MB, Range Rover, Jaguar and the nice little triumvirate of VW, Audi and Porsche) and he does all his body work at one central body shop.

It's possible your dealership has a central shop to handle body work so the estimate would be the same. You could call the body shop and inquire. I don't find the estimate to be high.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked maire_cate
  • maire_cate
    4 years ago

I was returning to this thread to add that I'd just stick with the original estimate but I really like Beagles suggestion.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We are not a no-fault state so our insurer would not be involved in any event. You Pennsylvanians and your crazy laws! : )

• Lukki Irish
    4 years ago

I would just explain the logistics behind the cost and tell her that this is where you want it fixed. She scratched the car, so regardless of the cost, it’s her responsibility.

ETA: I think it’s important to leave the friendship part out of the equation and think of it only as a business transaction. Their finances and feelings are secondary. What matters is that she takes ownership of the problem and does what’s needed to get it fixed. I understand that some people are better at separating the two than others, but it really does help one to see things a little more clearly and to make better decisions for all parties involved.

Another way to approach it is to ask yourself, if the shoe were on the other foot and it was you who hit her car, would you ask for 2 estimates?

• dedtired
    4 years ago

I think you are being incredibly generous to consider getting a second estimate. You did what was fair, which was get an estimate. If they don’t like the answer, that’s their problem. To me it boils down to whether or not you want to maintain a relationship with her. Wouldn’t it be funny if the second estimate were higher? Then you could magnanimously say you’d be happy to accept just the $1400.

• nini804
    4 years ago

Since they aren’t going through their insurance...are they going to pay for a rental car while yours is in the shop? Three days after we bought ds a brand new car for Christmas a couple of years ago (he had successfully driven our old beater Volvo for a year and then it failed inspection & needed a new carburetor & dh said “to hell with it,” & ds got a new car bc of the warranty, lol,) another teen hit the brand new car in a parking lot. We didn’t know the family (she was older & went to a different school) but parents were horrified since poor Ds’s car still had the temp tags, new car smell, and maybe still had the paper covers on the mats, lol. Anyway, it was so easy...their insurance handled everything. We took it to the bodyshop the dealer uses, and when I asked about rental, they gave us one. Of course, ds couldn‘t drive the rental, but I could & he used mine to get to school & practice.

Anyway, if they are self-paying and balking at cost of estimate...you probably won’t get a rental out of them either. So sorry you are dealing with this...what a pain!

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

This IS a tough pickle, isn't it? I've been in a similar situation, but it was a young family member who hit my car in a driveway, and she had neither the money to pay for the repair (which, as I recall was estimated at around $600, but this was years ago), nor would it have been feasible for her to file an insurance claim. Because she was family, I ended up paying for the repair myself, but it was a VERY awkward situation, and there were some misunderstandings and ensuing hurt feelings that had to be dealt with along the way.

Your situation is different, IMO, because the woman who hit your car is a friend who sounds more like an acquaintance, perhaps, and the more I think about this there are two things that bother me. First of all, how can you hit a car and cause $1,400 worth of damage and not KNOW it? Had she been drinking at the party? I just wondered if she was an eensy-weensy bit impaired and this had clouded her cognitive ability behind the wheel. That could also be a reason that she didn't want to turn in the claim to her insurer; on the other hand, maybe she just has a higher deductible (as do we - $1,000 as I recall).

At any rate, your new car is damaged. Whether yours is nicer and newer than hers shouldn't come into play here, but I understand how it would. I've had my new car since August too, and I would be very upset if someone dinged it up when it is still, to me, brand, sparkling new. The fact that you had to take YOUR time to go get an estimate was an inconvenience to you. And now she balks at the dealer-provided estimate?! I think that's pretty nervy. It might be "the nice thing to do" to get a second dealer quote, but I still think she's a bit out of line for even asking that of you. I might go ahead and do it (probably depends on how I felt overall about how the whole situation was being handled), but it seems to me it'd be an exercise in redundancy that would only take up more of your time.

I'm sorry this happened, and hope you get it sorted out quickly. Unfortunately, it's situations like this that often cause rifts between people, especially if you have one side that seems to somehow think they're being gouged. Especially difficult if they are the party at fault, too.

• User
    4 years ago

Just chiming in to say how I handled it would probably depend upon how much I liked the at fault person. People can get so weird about this stuff, which is unfortunate. You did nothing wrong and now you're the one who feels like you have to navigate social minefields.

If I genuinely liked the person, and/or wanted to do my best to ensure a good relationship in the future I would so as she asked and get a 2nd estimate. Then I would do as others mentioned above and only ask her to pay the smaller of the 2.

However, if I didn't care whether I had any sort of cordial relationship with this person moving forward, then I love Beagle's answer. " I would politely tell her this is the dealership you feel comfortable with and suggest if she's uncomfortable, you both report the accident to your insurers and let them deal with the issue going forward."

Honestly I think that's the perfect answer, but it also may come across as a smidge passive aggressive (or otherwise offputting) to her and so it may color how she reacts and treats you going forward.

• Yayagal
    4 years ago

I think she should consider herself lucky that you agreed to out of pocket payment. She is the one who should worry. I agree with the others to say you are committed to going to the dealer and need to get it done stat. His or her reply doesn't matter, just stick to your word that you and your husband know the standards of the dealer and would't go elsewhere.

• Fori
    4 years ago

I'd get the second quote if it's not too much of a hassle so they feel better about the cost.

If it was a hardship for someone, I'd probably take care of it myself, but that's not the case here.

And that sounds super cheap for a bumper redo.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Mtn, The culture difference between buying a high end car and having it serviced at the dealership vs not doing those things is a big chasm. I don't think your number will ever make any sense to this person. Getting a second quote is kind of you, but necessary, I fear for smoothing over feelings.

Bumblebeez, I am with you, so is my DH, IDK what is wrong with us, but we would just drop it too ( not because we are so nice, just because we really loathe dealing with stuff like that.)

• beaglesdoitbetter
    4 years ago

Mtn I have gotten into accidents in states that aren't no fault. My insurer still stepped in, handled it, and fought for the money for me so I didn't have to deal with any hassle. I have always been told to ALWAYS report the accident to your insurer, even if the other party is 100% at fault, because then your underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage can kick in if the other person can't pay.

I would assume she wouldn't want to report the accident to the insurer anyway, so that's why I'd make that proposal. Really, you are being kind in not insisting it get reported to the insurance company because if it were to turn out the damage was more extensive than anticipated, it could end up being a big fight to get the money.

• smhinnb
    4 years ago

My job involves me seeing a lot of collision repair estimates. I think $1,400 sounds like a bargin. Automotive paint is crazy expensive, especially the more complex colors and finishes... pearl white, tri-coat finishes, etc. I doubt a second quote would be significantly different. I recently had a rock chip repaired on my own car, it was smaller than my baby fingernail - I don't even know how my husband noticed it. It cost just a few $ shy of $1,000.

It's your car, the collision is not your fault, and in a perfect world, you should be able to have it repaired where you are comfortable doing so, without a second thought. Unfortunately things are seldom that straight forward.

• l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

If you've never had body work done on your car, you probably have no idea how expensive it is. Years ago, I was car 3 in a four car pile up over oil in the road. Unfortunately, my car was the one that slid ever so slowly into the police car that was on the scene. It was pretty clearly not my fault, as I wasn't driving fast and the slick effected everyone, but que sera sera. I got a ticket and had to pay for the damage to the police car. And that ended up being the cost of a whole new door, even though the dent was small. Newer model cars are all fiberglass, no more banding out a dent. I would hazard a guess this is just a sticker-shock situation. And also she may be like my Dad, always having a better place, better idea, etc. no matter what, never accepting anyone else's word for anything. Just take a deep breath and proceed calmly forward.

• Joaniepoanie
    4 years ago

Because she is a friend and you will likely see her at future social gatherings, I might make the effort to find another dealer for a second estimate if it’s within a reasonable distance. If not, then just get the second estimate at the other dealership close to you owned by the same person.

It appears she wants you to get an estimate from “Joe’s Body Shop” because independent shops are usually cheaper than the dealer, but——your car your call—-especially since your car is brand new and under warranty....another reason imo to use the dealer. Suppose “Joe’s” messes something else up while fixing your bumper.....would your warranty cover it?

• smiling
    4 years ago

There is one other factor I haven't seen mentioned in the comments above (with apologies if I just missed it).

In some states there is a mandated and required reporting of motor vehicle accidents that result in more than $1000 in damage.

Since the woman both: 1. left the scene of the accident in front of witnesses, and 2. (if required in your state) failed to report an accident with more than $1000 damage, she may be in a bigger hole than she thinks. Perhaps she is engaging in wishful thinking that you can find an estimate under $1000?

When you asked your dealer for the repair estimate, was there any inquiry about the case number?

If I were you, I would want to be very certain about who the reporting requirements apply to, in case you are yourself on the hook to report it, albeit without fault.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked smiling
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You guys are a wealth of knowledge, thank you! You have all brought up points i didn't consider, including warranties, sensors, and reporting requirements.

I always know it was worthwhile posting a question when i get such a variety of answers. To me that means it is a legitimate conundrum. Since this is not a stranger I will investigate my options as a gesture of good will. But I will also keep in mind the valid points raised here.

Thanks everyone!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

I think reporting requirements are different whether or not it's on private property. I called the cops when the woman side-swiped my car, but the cop said there was nothing she could do as the accident was in a parking lot on private property. Had it been on the road, she would've ticketed her.

• Moxie
    4 years ago

Just want to reiterate that bumpers on modern cars are a BIG deal. An LED headlight on my 2016 Mazda had an internal failure. The part was over $600. Fortunately, it was under warranty. As we were chatting, the service rep said that was nothing compared to bumpers, which are especially tricky and expensive because of all of the sensors. He said that it was important to have the sensors checked anytime there is bumper damage. A damaged or misaligned sensor is a safety risk. Because of this, I'd call my insurance company just to be on the safe side.

To avoid reporting an accident to her insurance company means paying whatever the other party considers acceptable. Otherwise, she can report it and let her insurance adjuster handle any negotiations.

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

I originally missed it was your bumper. DD2 had to have a new bumper when she was rear ended. Didn't appear to be anything but scratched, but you know the ol' "we found more when we took the car apart." It's not just the sensors, but the clips. If a clip is broken, the entire bumper might need to be replaced. That's what happened with DD2's Lexus.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

This is a social point and hopefully wouldn't come into play but as you are somewhat in the same circle I would consider getting a second opinion as requested to avoid any spiteful talking from her or her husband to others.

I know it's something that shouldn't come into play but because it does involve money and she may be embarrassed about the whole situation I would do it just to keep the waters smooth.

• lobby68
    4 years ago

I think you are so nice. I would be so incredibly annoyed that they wanted me to take my time, during the holidays, to get a second bid because what, they don't trust me? It's her fault. Why do I have to spend my time accommodating them? I'd be chewing my tongue to ribbons to keep this civil.

• maddielee
    4 years ago

I would get the second estimate. I may even ask her if she knows a certified BMW body shop person that she can recommend to give the quote. Emphasis on certified (or authorized).

• 1929Spanish-GW
    4 years ago

It's always a pickle whether it's a friend or not. But the reality is you should want to keep up the value of your car. You're not going to get a substandard job no matter how old the car is. My last car - a 2002 BMW - was lightly rear ended leaving two marks from the license plate bolts. It was $900 to repair over 5 years ago.

So here's the deal. Everyone is going to be a little unhappy as a result of this. You can't fix that. So my talk-off would be the following.

I would suggest that this dealer is where you are going to get your new car fixed so that you can be sure it's repaired with OEM parts and to factory specs. I would also say that unfortunately it's not inexpensive to repair high end cars, and that's all calculated in your costs when you bought and insured the car.

I would tell her that you're going to work with the dealer to allow them to invoice her directly should she not want to pay you the money and that you will share with her the quote and a final bill.

Finally I would tell her that you're happy to accommodate her desire not to report it to the insurance companies because she is your friend, but that you would handle it with insurance under all other circumstances. Then ask her if that works with her, or if working through insurance would make more sense.

Period.

The longer these things drag out, the worse they get. I've been on the consumer and company side of these situations and they often go south quickly.

ETA: Also get it in writing that the dealer is going to provide a LOANER car. If not, then you should also be compensated for a rental car during the time yours is in the shop.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    4 years ago

I’d report it to my own insurance company and follow their advice. After all, that’s what they do.

I’d probably get a second quote just to appease her. Yes, I know none of this was your fault, but the second quote should validate the first and make her and her DH fully realize the cost. Plus not doing so would make you appear inflexible - again, I know it’s not your fault but her attitude could turn ugly and make this much much more painful than it already is.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    4 years ago

Like Bumblebeez, I would most likely just fix it myself. I can't think of a time I have made a big deal over damage to a material possession However, I also like the idea of getting the second estimate and then asking her how the two of you could solve this amicably/fairly.

I do think that unless we really know someone quite well, we can't be sure about her financial situation. I have known people who lived in large Main Line homes who did not have money put away for an emergency fund. I live in a neighborhood now that includes several highly-placed political folks and other movers and shakers. We are not in the same league financially-not even close and yet most would assume we are. Could be she is cash strapped at the moment. Could be she isn't. No way to know....unless she is heading off to Paris for the holidays! Ha.

• texanjana
    4 years ago

That price actually seems low. I got a new Acura in April and two weeks later someone backed into me in a parking lot. Thank goodness the person left a note! The damage looked very minor, but the cost ended up being around $4k due to hidden damage. The entire back bumper and sensors had to be replaced. So, your bill may be much higher in the end. Apparently this happens pretty frequently. I would simply tell the person that this body shop is the only place you will take your car, period.

• ratherbesewing
    4 years ago

My experience in PA if you go thru the insurance company. The at-fault insurance company gives you at list of auto body places to take your car for repair. The dealer was not an option. I assume the insurance company has a monetary arrangement ( think in-network) due to their high volume repairs.

Let us know what happens with your friend. Tricky. It is concerning that this lady was unaware of hitting your car. Merry Christmas!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked ratherbesewing
  • Arapaho-Rd
    4 years ago

I'm still stuck on her not knowing she hit your car. That bothers me more than anything. In tight quarters of a private drive, if you think you can't exit safely, wouldn't you ask the owner if they could move their car?

• LucyStar1
    4 years ago

mtnrdredux_gw said:

"We are not a no-fault state so our insurer would not be involved in any event".

This is incorrect. The collision coverage on your car covers this loss. You should report it to your insurance company. They will pay you and then subrogate against the other person's insurance.

Subrogation is a term describing a legal right held by most insurance carriers to legally pursue a third party that caused an insurance loss to the insured. This is done in order to recover the amount of the claim paid by the insurance carrier to the insured for the loss.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked LucyStar1
  • Feathers11
    4 years ago

I've also been conditioned to never contact my insurer unless absolutely necessary.

• maddielee
    4 years ago

We stay away from using our auto insurance. We also carry a high deductible. Keeping those rates at a stable (lower) rate beats the coverage in many cases.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    4 years ago

I kept meaning to get back to this...here's how things usually work - with a caveat that I'm in California.

First of all, the only way this won't get back to her insurance is for the two of you to work out payment directly. This is where you are doing her a favor by not using insurance.

If you report to your insurance, they can pay your coverage minus deductible. and subrogate against her insurance for the claim. Once her insurance pays out, they reimburse your deductible. Or they will pursue the claim with her insurance and you don't have to do anything.

The risk when you go outside of insurance (besides the aforementioned OEM parts etc) is that the other party might not really be able to afford the repairs and they delay, delay, delay. Remember it's the holidays and $1,400 would cover a lot - so you are at risk. This actually happened to me back in the 80's. By the time I had to go to my insurance, it had become such a cluster that I needed an attorney.

This is why I suggest settling very quickly, reminding her of the favor you're doing [side note, this is technically a hit an run] and getting your repair and loaner paid and completed so you can move on.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes I have heard of subrogation before in another context.

But I probably would not involve my insurer no matter what, since I know the deductible is at least 1k and its so much better not to have an accident on the car's maintenance history. Any time I have bought and sold a BMW or Benz or RR, there was a computerized service and repair history that was examined. Its like AKC papers for a dog, LOL!

Without writing a tome, everyone just has to take it on face value that I am not worried about her trying to escape responsibility. Just want her to feel fairly treated.

• 4kids4us
    4 years ago

Mtn, maybe I misunderstand, but regardless of whether you involve your insurance, won’t the repair show up in the car’s maintenance history anyway, especially since you are taking it to the dealer?

Editing to add that I sometimes miss the old cars with the big hard rubber bumpers. I was rear ended on 95 in CT almost 30 years ago by a car that slammed into me when it failed to stop in time in stopped traffic. A cop happened to be on the shoulder where he had pulled someone over so he motioned for us to pull off on the shoulder. My car didn’t so much as have a scratch on it, even tho he hit me going at least 20mph. I can’t even imagine what the damage would have been on a car in today’s market - I see these type of fender benders almost daily, sadly, due to driver in attention in stop and go traffic on the highway. Usually, the cars aren’t even going fast but still sustain a crazy amount of damage. One day the three cars directly in front of me all hit each other (as much as I can, I always leave room in front of me to avoid this, but am always worried about the person behind me!).

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

FYI, this is resolved. My DH only wanted to go to our local dealer, period. He is 5 min away and DH golfs w the owner occasionally. I told her we would be willing get a second quote someplace local, and she can pay us whatever that turns out to be, but we will go to our dealer. She used our (detailed) estimate to call around, then called us back and told us she is sending us a check for the amount our dealer estimated. Throughout, we have both been gracious and I think it is all fine.

Thanks so much everyone for sharing your insights; there were many I had not considered!

PS no insurers involved on either side

• Funkyart
    4 years ago

So glad it worked out amicably and without further hassle. And sorry your new baby got her first road wound

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Funkyart
  • maire_cate
    4 years ago

That is good news. Now how long will you be without your car? Even if they give you a comparable loaner it just isn't the same.

• texanjana
    4 years ago

I am so glad this was resolved amicably Mtn.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked texanjana
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

I’m so glad this worked out.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked OutsidePlaying
  • IdaClaire
    4 years ago

I too am really glad that this had a happy ending. Hope the repair goes smoothly and quickly.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked IdaClaire
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

Glad it worked out.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Arapaho-Rd
    4 years ago

So glad it's taken care of and friendship still intact..

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Arapaho-Rd
Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022