SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeri

We bought a lot! Now what?

jeri
4 years ago

Hi All!

Long time lurker – and I have the Hide-A-Hose to prove it! :-)

I never thought I would be here actually building a house, but we just closed on property and plan to build. So excited!

I know that many of you recommend hiring an architect, and we are open to all ideas as we educate ourselves on this adventure. We are in no hurry and want to make the right decisions.

How do you find an architect you can trust? We *love* the real-estate agent who sold us the property, he was amazing to work with during the entire process and does have a builder he recommends. Perhaps this builder will have an architect to recommend? What questions should we be armed with? What questions should we be asking ourselves???

Our property consists of 13 acres on a river. It is a sloping lot that mainly faces south. We are an active, retired couple who hopes to have our friends and our children (and someday grandchildren) visit often. We are thinking of a walkout basement – just seems the sloped property calls for this. We would like the first floor (main floor) to house everything “we” need to live comfortably and design the downstairs for guests.

We want to maximize the view! Lots of windows – perhaps even window walls? We are not married to any particular style – the view is important. *Lots* of natural light is also a must. Oh! And we want his/hers master bathrooms. :-Þ

Even if we go the Architect route, do any of you have plans to direct us to in the meantime? So we can start to visualize our choices and just enjoy???

Thank you!

Comments (23)