Comments (63)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catkinZ8a

Avoiding a yuge, embarrassing primary loss in California, eh Kamala?

Hahahahaha, she's blaming billionaire Bloomberg.

3 Likes Save    
Carro

Oh, this is going to taste so good and go down soooooooo smooooooth tonight, Kav. Drink it remembering how this shrew tried to ruin your career and your life in the worst witch hunt of a SCOTUS appointment hearing in the history of the United States.

8 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Clinton/Harris 2020!

Save    
lily316

Good. Now bring it down to four...Buttigieg, Biden, Warren, and Sanders.

2 Likes Save    
Carro

paprikash, her nasal voice...ugh

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

Obviously I completely disagree with her politics, but I really thought Harris might be a more competent presidential candidate than she turned out to be. I was surprised at how poorly she did in most of the debates. "Dude gotta go?"

I wonder if she might have fared better if her sister hadn't been running her campaign. Regardless, I'm glad she's out of the race; there was something about her way of communicating I found super annoying.

Compare the way Harris talked with Hillary's more direct, matter-of-fact way of speaking on topics. It's hard for me to put it into words, but Harris came across to me as too snarky/growly/"hey girl"/condescending, in a way that I found uncomplimentary to women in general.

I don't know how to put a finger on it, but her delivery style just wasn't the way I'd like to see women politicians present themselves.

7 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

mudhouse, FWIW, I agree with your assessment of Harris' style. OTOH, I really like Amy Klobuchar's manner of presentation. She is direct, pragmatic, and never talks down to her audience. Every time I hear K. speak on TV I like her more.

10 Likes Save    
Carro

mudhouse, Harris couldn't find her own voice. She vacillated in her views and the only time she punched through was when she was attacking.

2 Likes Save    
Carro

woodnymph2- totally agree about Klobuchar. She's everything you mentioned, and just might be a contender in the long run. She hasn't had any spikes, but maybe that's not a bad thing! It means she hasn't been a target either.

Klobuchar has the guts and common sense to go on FOX and she's done great interviews.

7 Likes Save    
Carro

Seems Harris is blaming Bloomberg. He has deep pockets and she couldn't raise funds. Between lack of money and organization, it's over.

Save    
maddie260

Harris was not my preferred candidate, but she is a brilliant cross-examiner. I’m glad she is out of the race. Mudhouse, I think you nailed it.

4 Likes Save    
batyabeth

" in a way that I found uncomplimentary to women in general..... her delivery style just
wasn't the way I'd like to see women politicians present themselves.

So I gotta ask - does one male candidate/elected official etc represent how male politicians represent themselves? Do men in her, or equal to, her position get compared to other men as uncomplimentary to men in general? because it sounds to me - correct me if I"m wrong - that one woman candidate represents (to you) all women, or represents how women should present ourselves AS women, whereas when men present themselves as boorish or condescending or whatever, they don't represent all men?

Double standard much? One rule or outlook or measurement for women, another for men? Cause I sure would like to use your yardstick for , say, POTUS, or well-known pundits, or politicians like any number of men who present themselves as a whole host of uncomplimentary, ill-mannered, downright embarrassing representations of their gender, and you don't say a peep about them casting shadows on other men.......

3 Likes Save    
Carro

I gotta ask; Do you expect us NOT to call Harris out for what and who she is, because she's a woman?

5 Likes Save    
Carro

Nails it.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/good-riddance-to-kamala-harris/

"Harris was running for the presidency, which is another way of saying that she was running to acquire power. I did not want her to have that power. It is true that some people tried their best to help her gain that power. They’re probably upset today. But they’ll get over it. She’s not that special.

" She’s a would-be tyrant whose primary contribution to American life thus far has been to fight “tooth and nail to uphold wrongful convictions that had been secured through official misconduct that included evidence tampering, false testimony and the suppression of crucial information by prosecutors”; who has openly promised to act without Congress; and who has shown us exactly who she is during the Kavanaugh hearings, at which she implied that she knew something terrible about the nominee for the sole purpose of sharing the insinuation on her Twitter feed. Harris is a woman who, if successful (“successful”), would have overseen the mass confiscation of millions of firearms, the seizing of patents, the federalization of abortion law, and, depending on the polling, the elimination of (her word) the private health insurance plans of 180 million people.

Everything that is wrong with American politics is summed up in Kamala Harris. She’s a weather vane. She’s dishonest. She’s a coward. She’s condescending. And she’s a phony. She’s the answer to no useful or virtuous question. Nothing good has come from her election. She has nothing of value to offer America. Goodbye. Bad luck. That’s all, folks."

2 Likes Save    
maddie260

^mass confiscation of firearms’- YES!

Save    
catkinZ8a

woodnymph2_gw

mudhouse, FWIW, I agree with your assessment of Harris' style. OTOH, I really like Amy Klobuchar's manner of presentation. She is direct, pragmatic, and never talks down to her audience.

02/06/2019 05:36 pm ET Updated Feb 07, 2019

Sen. Amy Klobuchar’s Mistreatment Of Staff Scared Off Candidates To Manage Her Presidential Bid

At least three people withdrew from consideration to lead the senator’s nascent campaign — in part because of Klobuchar’s history of mistreating her staff.

By Molly Redden and Amanda Terkel

At least three people have withdrawn from consideration to lead Sen. Amy Klobuchar’s nascent 2020 presidential campaign — and done so in part because of the Minnesota Democrat’s history of mistreating her staff, HuffPost has learned.

Klobuchar, who plans to make an announcement about a potential presidential bid on Sunday in Minneapolis, has spent the past several months positioning herself to run for president. She’s beloved in her state as a smart, funny and personable lawmaker and has gained national attention for her lines of questioning at high-profile hearings.

But some former Klobuchar staffers, all of whom spoke to HuffPost on condition of anonymity, describe Klobuchar as habitually demeaning and prone to bursts of cruelty that make it difficult to work in her office for long.

It is common for staff to wake up to multiple emails from Klobuchar characterizing one’s work as “the worst” briefing or press release she’d seen in her decades of public service, according to two former aides and emails seen by HuffPost.

Although some staffers grew inured to her constant put-downs (“It’s always ‘the worst,’” one said sarcastically, “‘It was ‘the worst’ one two weeks ago”), others found it grinding and demoralizing. Adding to the humiliation, Klobuchar often cc’d large groups of staffers who weren’t working on the topic at hand, giving the emails the effect of a public flogging.

“Senator Klobuchar loves her staff ― they are the reason she has gotten to where she is today,” a campaign spokesperson told HuffPost. “She has many staff who have been with her for years ― including her Chief of Staff and her State Director, who have worked for her for 5 and 7 years respectively ― and many who have gone on to do amazing things, from working in the Obama Administration (over 20 of them) to running for office to even serving as the Agriculture Commissioner for Minnesota. She is proud of them and the work they have done for Minnesota.”

Some people who worked for Klobuchar say they valued the experience: Klobuchar has an unrivaled command of details, puts in long, enthusiastic hours, and simply demands that her office meet those same high standards, several former staffers maintained. Those employees described working for her as a challenge, but an exhilarating one that caused them to grow and perform their best work. They question whether former co-workers who thought she was abusive were falling for sexist stereotypes about female leaders with high standards.

hat is indisputable, however, is that Klobuchar’s office consistently has one of the highest rates of staff turnover in the Senate. Klobuchar’s rate of turnover ranked No. 1 in an analysis of all Senate staff salaries between 2001 and 2016, conductedby LegiStorm, a widely used database of congressional staff salaries. (Klobuchar was sworn into office in 2007.) She’s now third, behind Maryland Democrat Chris Van Hollen and Louisiana Republican John Kennedy.

And this is not the first time Klobuchar has had issues building a team because of worries about her mistreatment of staff.

A former employee in her Senate office recalled her struggling to find an outside candidate to replace an outgoing chief of staff. A staffer in another Hill office recounted losing interest in a job opening with Klobuchar when a current staffer, the one conducting the interview, conveyed that avoiding Klobuchar’s anger was a significant part of the job.

The senator has acknowledged she has “high expectations,” but many people who have worked with Klobuchar or interacted with her and her staff say her treatment of staff goes beyond the normal expectations of excelling in a job.

Three former staffers said Klobuchar has tasked them or their co-workers with performing personal errands, such as making her personal appointments, washing dishes at her home or picking up her dry cleaning.

Senate staff are generallyprohibited by Senate ethics rules from performing personal duties for members.

However, the practice is also common on Capitol Hill. A former staffer who was never aware of Klobuchar tasking a staffer with personal chores said many lawmakers make such requests. “The honest truth to this is, there are a lot of people [in Congress] who really take advantage of office staff,” the former staffer said.

In egregious cases, members of the House of Representatives who violated rules against personal use of staff have been subject to ethics investigations.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/amy-klobuchar-abuse-staff-2020_n_5c5a1cb1e4b0871047588649

Save    
lily316

I was never a big fan of Harris. She wasn't on my radar at all, but if she were the candidate, of course, I'd vote for her. I 'd vote for my dog if it was him and trump. Klobuchar was definitely a better candidate than Harris but she's not in the top tier and won't be. Maybe Harris would make a good AG.

1 Like Save    
Carro

A good AG? Dear God. The woman put parents behind bars for truant children, withheld exculpatory evidence and put black men in jail for pot. She'd be a disaster.

She's peaked and should never, ever have any more power than she has right now. In fact, she should have none.

5 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Amen, Carro.

1 Like Save    
Carro

catkin, amen to recognizing what a racist Harris is.

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

USG funds 8% of public education which can be allocated to salaries, apparently unbeknownst to republican’ts.

Save    
mudhouse

batyabeth: Do men in her, or equal to, her position get compared to other men as uncomplimentary to men in general? because it sounds to me - correct me if I"m wrong - that one woman candidate represents (to you) all women, or represents how women should present ourselves AS women, whereas when men present themselves as boorish or condescending or whatever, they don't represent all men?

What? It's impossible to critique an individual candidate's communication style, without simultaneously insulting all women candidates? What nonsense.

There's nothing wrong with expressing an opinion that snarky condescension or growly simpering may not be effective when you're running for president, regardless of the gender of the candidate. I think that some women fall into that unhelpful habit more easily than male candidates do. And I think it hurts them, so no, I'm not a fan of overlooking or applauding a behavior that holds back female political candidates. I'd like to see more well qualified women in politics, making decisions that shape our future, not fewer.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

She certainly wasn't my favorite although I think some sell her short. What I don't understated is why Trump supporters , given their low opinion of her abilities, aren't disappointed she is out rather than pleased .

3 Likes Save    
chipotle

Huge problem for Trump that she can now focus all her time on Senate. work.

And there's always VP or AG.

4 Likes Save    
Delilah66

“growly simpering”?

growls: making a low, guttural sound

simpering: affectedly coy or ingratiating

Totally opposite. No one would be taken as coy or ingratiating if speaking in a growly voice.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Not VP. Maybe Mayor Pete? Maybe Abrams? However , she would be a dynamite AG.

1 Like Save    
Carro

Harris's CA record as a prosecutor is horrible. Just because she's a "woman of color" doesn't make her the right person for AG. Plus, she's racist as all get out.

1 Like Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

WRT Harris's speech and mannerisms, they strike me as racist. She put on an act and it backfired.

1 Like Save    
Carro

Zalco/bring back Sophie!

WRT Harris's speech and mannerisms, they strike me as racist. She put on an act and it backfired.

Harris still has not rescinded her support for that liar Jussie Smollet, who perpetrated a hoax hate crime, implicating white Trump supporters!

Harris perpetuates the lie that Michael Brown was murdered by a white police officer!

She's unfit to be a Congresswoman, let alone President or any cabinet position.

ESPECIALLY AG.

1 Like Save    
lily316

Let's talk about how Melania became first lady. In a frank interview she said she married him for his money , he married her for her looks. He had seen a preview of them beforehand.

1 Like Save    
Carro

Harris rejected criminal justice reform and has the nerve to call Trump racist, who got it done.

She also fought tooth and nail to uphold wrongful convictions and defended CA's death penalty.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

I appreciate Ms. Harris' prosecutorial skills in the US Senate.

In California, at least SoCal, she was criticized for wanting to sprint (run for president) before she finished her baby steps in the Senate.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

defended CA's death penalty.

So did Jerry Brown.

From wiki:

As attorney general, Brown represented the state in fighting death-penalty appeals and stated that he would follow the law, regardless of his personal beliefs against capital punishment. Capital punishment by lethal injection was halted in California by federal judge Jeremy D. Fogeluntil new facilities and procedures were put into place.[78] Brown moved to resume capital punishment in 2010 with the execution of Albert Greenwood Brown after the lifting of a statewide moratorium by a California court.[79] Brown's Democratic campaign, which pledged to "enforce the laws" of California, denied any connection between the case and the gubernatorial election.

Save    
Carro

Moonbeam!

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

A racist, supported a liar, and perpetuates a lie. Are you describing trumpf who is unfit to be a Congressman, let alone President or any cabinet position? Just say those words aloud, listen to yourself, then laugh uproariously like the rest of us. Moonbeam indeed!

WINNING!

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

trumpf can’t even spell AG.

1 Like Save    
elvis

Nana H

She certainly wasn't my favorite although I think some sell her short. What I don't understated is why Trump supporters , given their low opinion of her abilities, aren't disappointed she is out rather than pleased .

It's not the way we roll.

3 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Exactly, elvis. It's not the way we roll.

I'm glad she's out of the race because I have an underlying respect for how our system works, and I don't think it benefits the country when weak candidates on either side remain in the pool of presidential candidates. Let the best candidate win. And I think Trump will win.

2 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I agree--AG.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I am seeing a lot of rolling downhill here.

Save    
mudhouse

Then maybe it's time to join our side, patriciae, and help make America great again. It feels a lot better than rolling downhill! ;-)

1 Like Save    
althea_gw

I'm not sorry to see her go. She was one of two I would never vote for, the other being Gillibrand. Gillibrand was first & Harris second in calling for Al Franken to resign. With that they said my vote isn't important, so there is no way they would get it.

Anyway, Harris torpedoed her own campaign starting with the first debate featuring the staged attempted take down of Biden, complete with t-shirts ready to sell. People who didn't know much about, her but liked Biden, now disliked her and were even more committed to Biden. Her whole campaign was an unraveling of the progressive persona that had been constructed. Her demise had nothing to do with sexism or racism or billionaires, it is because people rightly saw her as inauthentic.

1 Like Save    
Ann

I always thought she was simply awful. Good she's out.

4 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Hey, Ann!

3 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

LOLOLOLOL!

Quid Pro Joe has more support from blacks than Harris!

How racist and misogynist is that?

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

maddie260

^mass confiscation of firearms’- YES!

Save    
althea_gw

"Quid Pro Joe has more support from blacks than Harris!

How racist and misogynist is that?"

Not racist and misogynist at all, unless you are wedded to identity politics, which the vast majority of people are not.

Save    
catkinZ8a

Malarkey.

Save    
mudhouse

I read a comment this morning that Harris may have been disadvantaged by the fact that she came from the California Democratic party system. Because the Democrat party is so dominant in that state, she may not have been as ready for the inevitable challenges from opponents as some others, who came up through the ranks in states with more opposition to the Dem party being more routine.

Could be why she didn't do as well when she got on the debate stage, and didn't intuitively reach for better answers when questioned by the media.

I don't agree with the tweet below at all, and I wondered if others here agree with Amy Siskind:

1 Like Save    
Carro

Harris, like Hillary, ran a failed campaign. She's been polling low and never posed a threat to the front runners.

Siskind needs to grapple with her emotional reaction to the normal course of Presidential elections, whereby the weaker candidates drop out and allow the stronger to emerge.

3 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Hillary,and her "failed" campaign, won the popular vote by about three million voters.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

Who cares?

As though it made a difference, LOL!

SHE LOST.

2 Likes Save    
Carro

patriciae_gw

Hillary,and her "failed" campaign, won the popular vote by about three million voters.

Look, I don't give a hoot if you don't learn from these mistakes. In fact, your snark only reassures me that you don't get it.

Not in 2016 and not in 2020.

I prefer you remain ignorant to these very mistakes. It works in my favor.

1 Like Save    
Carro

Stan Areted

Who cares?

As though it made a difference, LOL!

SHE LOST.

I suppose it soothes them in some way to keep repeating the useless data point.

3 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

It's not like it was a surprise, Hillary was too stupid to understand that as has been the case, since before Sir Edmund Hillary was a 'climbing and inspiring her mother's baby name quest (just another lie) that the electoral votes was what she needed to win.

What a dolt--"popular vote popular vote popular vote."

It is embarrassing to keep hearing it--SO WHAT?

Makes NO DIFFERENCE and has not since November 2016.

DONALD TRUMP is PRESIDENT.

2 Likes Save    
Carro

Hillary's campaign made crucial mistakes which resulted in her "path to victory", which was touted as being "baked in the cake", being snatched from under her. She made tactical errors, more than likely out of hubris.

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

What snark? I pointed out the obvious. More Americans wanted Clinton to be president than wanted Trump to be president (almost three million to be exact) so how is that a fail? Trump had lots of help from outside entities and help with Jerrymandering. Some how that is a big win in Trumplandia. I can see that you are sensitive on some of these points. Sort of like Trump. It is hard to glory in a win when you cheated and you know every knows.

1 Like Save    
Carro

patriciae_gw

What snark? I pointed out the obvious. More Americans wanted Clinton to be president than wanted Trump to be president (almost three million to be exact) so how is that a fail?

Of the Americans who voted, more voted for Clinton. That is not the same as your fallacious claim.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Only the ones who voted count in an election.

And about 3 million more voted for Clinton than for Trump. No matter how you twist it, that remains true--and still sticks in Trump's craw.

Kate

1 Like Save    
elvis

That's his problem. No skin off our noses.

Save    
Stan Areted

"We" didn't cheat, Patriciae.

President Trump won square and fair--I think that's what truly sticks in the craw of liberals.

No one has any proof anyone pulled a lever or filled out a ballot for President Trump that was intended for Hillary Clinton.

People make their own decisions for their own reasons.

Libs apparently just think they SHOULD have intended to vote for Hillary.

All the elections in which foreign influences had their hand--and we know they have for decades--and THIS election, there are cries that someone was unduly "influenced" and just voted for the wrong person because they should have voted for Hillary Clinton. No fair no fair, someone was not influenced enough by Hillary Clinton and her liberal sycophants to vote for her and decided for vote for President Trump so it was cheating.

I do not understand how a reasonable, mature, thinker would consider this drivel as anything worth a thought much less articulating it, printing it, and perpetuating it.

But, it's been the battle cry since that November night when liberals went off the deep end for sure.

5 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Well Stan, you are not being blamed so don't take it personally.

We will never know how much Russian interference influenced the vote. It was apparently intended to make Americans suspicious of their established institutions. It seems to have worked. Stories of the Deep State confirm that. Now that is drivel. Loony conspiracy theories to the max. Trumps edge in the states that made the difference was quite small. Of course it could have gone the other way. I don't think that functionally it would have made a whole lot of difference if Clinton had won. Without majorities in both houses she would not have been able to do anything and I am pretty sure we would be in an impeachment trial for imaginary criminality on her part. The Economy would be the same but we would be getting along with the rest of the world much better. So it goes.

Save    
Carro

Democrats won't let Russia go! They're going to drag it into and wrap it up with impeachment.

And btw, Obama KNEW and he chose to stand down and let Russia do its thing.

Because Hillary was supposed to win, we we'd be none the wiser.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life 9 Simple Ways to Savor Summer’s Final Days
Go ahead, ignore the calendar. Stretch out that easygoing, warm-weather feeling with these ideas for indoors and out
Full Story
Fun Houzz Take the Harry Potter Design Quiz!
Prove You're Ready to Face You-Know-Who With This 7-Question Quiz
Full Story
Full service Design/ Build firm with over 15 years experience in kitchens, bathrooms, interior design, furniture,... Read More
Remodeling with a difference. Are you demanding? Do you appreciate the finer things? Would you like your home to... Read More