Advent of Kindness

glenda_al

SaveComment15Like8
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rob333 (zone 7a)

I need glasses. I read 23 as give a threat to your postal carrier, and 21 as unwashed clothes to be given.

:)

1 Like Save    
sephia_wa

I like this. I'm going to share it on my Facebook.

1 Like Save    
KennsWoods formerly kentrees

How about the other 11 months? Shouldn't we honor the spirit of the season the year-round?

5 Likes Save    
skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

Oh Rob, perfect! That cracked me up. (thanks Glenda)

2 Likes Save    
DawnInCal

I love these, Glenda! So simple, easy, and for the most part, inexpensive to do. I'm going to start today by going back and doing the ones from the 1st and 2nd along with today's.

KennsWoods, you make a good point. Most of these simple things could be repeated throughout the year. Making an effort to do so would be a good New Year's resolution.

2 Likes Save    
amylou321

A very nice thought. I am skipping the 23rd. My mail carrier deserves to be fired, not a treat. Pretty much everyone on her route hates her. There is an ongoing nextdoor post about it,with 200+ comments But I will attempt everything else.

1 Like Save    
sableincal

Thank you, Glenda! These are wonderful. Am going to forward them all around. And, I hope, actually do them!

1 Like Save    
Lucille

My mail carrier deserves to be fired, not a treat.

If you give her a treat and she suddenly changes her ways, you'll be more of a hero than you usually are.

1 Like Save    
DawnInCal

'K, I gave someone a compliment, but I wasn't in a situation where I could let anyone get ahead of me in line or where I could buy them a cup of coffee. Tomorrow, I'm going to go get a flu shot (better late than never) and there is always a long line at the pharmacy. I'll let the person behind me go ahead of me.

Next, I'll be going to the post office and I almost always hold the door for someone, so I don't think that will be a problem. The problem is I don't drink coffee, so am never in a coffee place. I will solve that by either buying someone a beer next time I'm at the local pub or by going into the local coffee place and pre-paying for a coffee.

Ha, this is fun!

1 Like Save     Thanked by glenda_al
katlan

Very nice Glenda. Thanks!

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

When paying it forward I wish people would help people who could be impacted far more, such as being poor, so getting their groceries helps far more.

Getting a cup of coffee for someone who already could afford it, is pretty meaningless. Except for the kindness shown. That's not meaningless.

Save    
DawnInCal

rob, in my mind, the act of kindness is what this is all about. Whether or not people can afford a cup of coffee is irrelevant; what is important in this scenario is simply doing something nice and kind for another human being. Being financially secure doesn't make people immune from needing and appreciating simple kindnesses. We need more of that in the world, especially during these times we're living in.

There are other ways to do things for those who suffer financial hardships such as donating to organizations that help those in need such as churches, food pantries, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, schools and so on. Volunteering is also another way to help out.

There is no reason people can't do both if they are so inclined.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

I don't disagree.I just wish it counted more, if that makes sense

:)

Save    
joyfulguy

Nobody said/suggested that you couldn't alter the suggested kind act for whatever day, rob ...

...(assuming that you know how to write. that is) ...

... (and erase/white out the action originally suggested for that day).

Right?

ole joyful

Save    
mama goose_gw zn6OH

OJ are you suggesting rob threaten her mail carrier, or threaten amylou's mail carrier for her? ;)

As for mail carriers, I love mine. If I don't make it to the door on time, or if I'm not at home, he always puts the packages inside, out of the weather (he knows we don't lock the back door). He always gets cookies if he brings packages to my back door on baking day.

Thank you, glenda, for another uplifting thread.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Christmas Make Your Own Mini Advent Village
Make the run-up to Christmas extra special with a treat a day in each tiny paper Advent house
Full Story
Wood Meet the Studs
Two-by-fours are just the kind of strong, silent type every home needs. Get to know studs — and how they lie about their size — right here
Full Story
Most Popular Bathroom Workbook: 12 Things to Consider for Your Remodel
Maybe a tub doesn’t float your boat, but having no threshold is a no-brainer. These points to ponder will help you plan
Full Story
ADR has over 25 years of residential remodeling experience in MD and VA and can handle any size project. We work... Read More