Uh oh Peloton...

Jonnygun(zone 7)

Peloton is about to get slapped Awoke! According to The Real and others they have really stepped in it. Most outraged article I found https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/43kjbw/peloton-commercial-holiday-advertisement
The jist is "peddle faster fatty, and make me a samwich"
The ad:
https://youtu.be/pShKu2icEYw

SaveComment12Like1
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dublinbay z6 (KS)

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a frantic woman cloistered in her own home, stamping down on the pedals of her Peloton while recording it—forever."

That sums it up?

Kate

Save    
elvis

Titled “The Gift That Gives Back,” the 30-second commercial is a mere glimpse into the barrage of horror its protagonist, a young wife and mother, slogs through daily.

At the outset, her husband gives her the titular Gift: a Peloton. She recognizes the machine instantly and exclaims accordingly. It is unclear whether or not she already has an inkling of how this bike will become the instrument of her subjugation.

The middle of the clip proceeds in the form of a vlog—she captures (or is made to capture?) her journey with Peloton, from the first ride to early mornings devoted to the Peloton and, by proxy, to the altar of her own improvement.

Although it is initially unclear who the vlog’s intended audience is, the clip’s final act serves as a chilling reveal: In the next cut, the woman is shown sitting on the couch next to her husband the following holiday season, presenting the footage to him of herself performing excitement about and gratitude for her exercise bike in a supercut, evidence of fealty to the Peloton and, by extension, to him.

“Thank you,” says the Peloton woman’s avatar on the screen. She turns to him, searching his face and trying to gauge his reaction. He grants her a smile, a squeeze on the shoulder. She has appeased her benevolent, Peloton-bestowing god… for now.

...Whether Peloton’s devotees feel only genuine joy about their purchase, the universe of its advertising presents another angle: Every day is the same day. We reach out for human contact, but instead what we are all cycling imperceptibly closer to is the void. If you want a vision of the future, imagine a frantic woman cloistered in her own home, stamping down on the pedals of her Peloton while recording it—forever.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/43kjbw/peloton-commercial-holiday-advertisement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=30&v=pShKu2icEYw&feature=emb_title

Save    
foodonastump

Some people have too much time on their hands.

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

(I just realized how ironic that was, coming from someone sitting here on HT!)

9 Likes Save    
Carro

I saw something about that 118 lb woman needed to drop to 116, lol.

1 Like Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

"peddle faster fatty, those last 2 pounds won't lose themselves".

My wife drags me to spin twice a week. I wonder if she cares that I feel diminished, or objectified? The 145lb triathlete that runs the class is also very intimidating when she yells at me to "tighten up and grind" lol. She is not respecting my middle age...

1 Like Save    
steve2416

A "Peloton" is fine if your need is to lose weight and have alone time. I live in a rural small town with a "Rail Trail" walking trail enjoyed by many of all ages and my Medicare insurance provides me with a Silver Sneakers card so I can work out in a gym equally free. Both are 24/7 if you want them to be and you can choose to be alone or not, overweight or out-of-shape if you choose. I like the freedom of choices.

3 Likes Save    
Cookie8

This (Peleton) has been the commercial of choice when I've been on Youtube a couple months back. The price - yikes!

The topic was also discussed on Philip deFranco today. I don't really care about this because the price alone - I have no interest to even bother caring. Philip deFranco attached a twitter feed on this...for fun:

https://twitter.com/ClueHeywood/status/1089699762331217920

Save    
blfenton

I don't get the outrage.

Maybe she asked for it for Christmas, maybe she loves working out and with working and a child wanted to work out at home. Maybe it's some alone time, a stress reliever. It sounds like some think that once you're fit and have reached your goal weight you're supposed to stop working out? Maybe she set a goal of working out a specific number of days a week or riding a certain number of miles during the year and reached her goal and was proud of it.

And yea, for those of us who work out, sometimes you don't want to get up at 6am and do it but you do it anyway, that's real,

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Funny postscript to this story:

In an absolutely brilliant marketing move, actor Ryan Reynolds hired the actress (Monica Ruiz) who played the wife in the Peloton ad, to do a spoof of it to promote his Aviation Gin brand.

Ruiz is joined by two friends at a bar and all three have Aviation Gin in front of them. While it's never explicitly stated, it's implied that her character is the "Peloton Wife." She's staring blankly at the camera, then one of her friends tells her that she's "safe here." Ruiz then chugs her entire glass in one gulp.

There aren't that many lines of dialog in the ad but it's really funny anyway. It's also quite the marketing feat that Reynolds' company was able to find her and get this spot produced in just a matter of days.

Enjoy:

Exercise bike not included. #AviationGinpic.twitter.com/jYHW74h81l— Ryan Reynolds (@VancityReynolds) December 7, 2019

___

https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/ryan-reynolds-gets-peloton-wife-to-make-hilarious-spoof-ad-for-his-aviation-gin/

Save    
margaritadina

I had an exercise bike. Was excellent for drying sweaters. Highly recommend to get one for this purpose.

After <>12 hours per week between the house and the garden chores, and walking/playing with the dog this thing is in excess and it makes it useless.

I don't understand what the fuss is about. Don't like it, don't buy it. It's not like a husband set his wife on fire.

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

I see nothing wrong with the ad. The wife was obviously very fit and happy with the gift. This husband knew his wife and chose an appropriate gift. Is it appropriate for all women? Of course not.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides 15 Remodeling ‘Uh-Oh’ Moments to Learn From
The road to successful design is paved with disaster stories. What’s yours?
Full Story
Before and Afters After Just 2 ‘Uh-Oh’ Moments, a New Master Bath
Thanks to their DIY efforts and perseverance, an enterprising couple get a pretty new bathroom for $1,000
Full Story
Life Oh Yeah, There’s a Snake in the House
A Houzz contributor lives through her worst nightmare and comes out the other side with lessons learned and new footwear
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
For over 20 years, we have been providing standard and custom craftsmanship in the design, fabrication and... Read More