Trump admin. seeks high court permission to resume federal executions

dublinbay z6 (KS)

"The Trump administration asked the Supreme Court on Monday for permission to begin executing federal inmates as soon as next week.

The Justice Department said in a filing late Monday that lower courts were wrong to put the executions on hold.

Attorney General William Barr announced during the summer that federal executions would resume after a 16-year hiatus. The first execution by lethal injection had been set for Dec. 9.

U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan in Washington, D.C., temporarily halted the executions after some of the chosen inmates challenged the new execution procedures in court. Chutkan agreed with the inmates that the government was circumventing proper methods in a quest to carry out executions quickly.

The federal appeals court in Washington on Monday denied the administration’s plea to put Chutkan’s ruling on hold and allow the executions to proceed."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/appeals-court-upholds-order-blocking-205406140.html

--------------------------

I haven't seen any public discussions on this issue. Was the Trump administration hoping to sneak it by without any one noticing and thus avoiding some kind of public outroar?

Kate

SaveComment20Like
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patriciae_gw(07)

This is a bad thing. first world countries don't do this. Banana Republic world. Vicious and evil. It is not so much about those who would be executed, It is about those who would have to do it. Who are we to demand that of someone? And the mistakes that are made?

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

the government was circumventing proper methods in a quest to carry out executions quickly.

MAGA!

Save    
socalnolympia

I hope you all realize, right now they're just executing the worst of the worst. We're not talking about just ordinary murder here.

Yes, there is some inherent danger (slippery slope) that these executions might extend to a broader array of cases, but I don't think there's really that much immediate danger of that happening.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

The "pro-life" Trumplican Party.

Kate

1 Like Save    
elvis

patriciae_gw(07)

This is a bad thing. first world countries don't do this

What?!

That's why you think executions are bad? Your opinion, what can I say?

Save    
elvis

...It is not so much about those who would be executed, It is about those who would have to do it.

I have a feeling that those on Death Row and their loved ones would beg, literally beg beg beg to differ with you.

Save    
JodiK

Executing human beings, regardless of what they've done, is not the way to buy that ticket to the heaven of afterlife so many believe in. That much I can tell you... it's certainly not what Jesus would do.

Perhaps if so many prisons weren't operating for profit, and so many inmates weren't hemmed up and incarcerated for meaningless, non-violent "crimes", there would be plenty of space... and if our government weren't overspending where it isn't needed, there would be plenty of funding to keep the worst of the worst effectively behind bars.

We are no better than criminal if we're murdering criminals.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

DH watches all those crime shows and it is fairly consistent that the people who think they are going to get some sort of closure upon the death of the person believed to have killed their loved do not. they are surprised by that.

People have to carry out an execution. People who have nothing to do with the process of finding the person guilty nor do they have any connection to victims or victim's families. It is a job. Execution turns citizens into killers. I am not a fan of doing that.

Programs like the Innocence Project have exonerated 1579 people since 1989 (I looked up the latest numbers) within the innocence projects 367 exonerations 21 were on death row and many of the others had life-they depend on there being DNA evidence so if there is none you have to find some group that can afford to do just research. It is estimated that at least 4% of people in our stuffed to the rafters prisons are completely innocent.

And that is why I am totally opposed to the death penalty. People of color are way over represented both in prison and on death row.

Save    
elvis

IIRC our local Probation & Parole Officer told me that the estimate is more like 1%. This article agrees with that estimate.

Extrapolating from the 281 known DNA exonerations in the US since the late 1980s, a conservative estimate is that 1 percent of the US prison population, approximately 20,000 people, are falsely convicted.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/12/innocent-people-us-prisons/

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Are you arguing that it is OK to execute the innocent if they are only 1%?

Kate

Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

Yeah yeah yeah, all life is precious. Some people just need killing regardless of 1st world pretensions.

Save    
elvis

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Are you arguing that it is OK to execute the innocent if they are only 1%?

Kate

Since I have always been very vocal here on HT about my complete opposition to the death penalty, your question is nonsensical.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

My question was what was your point in offering an alternate stat? Pat offered her number as part of her argument against capital punishment--which is the topic of this thread. How does your 1% "correction" relate to the topic of the thread? Sounds like you support capital punishment, but you say you don't. Then why would you want to give the wrong impression about your position?

This may come as a surprise, Elvis, but I really do not keep track of your positions on most topics, although I assume you will usually take the conservative side, if just to be contrary, in some cases.

Kate

1 Like Save    
JodiK

What strikes me as odd is... there are a fair number of self-proclaimed christians and others who uphold the idea of capital punishment... even though the teachings do not support murder, and hold that the god they believe in will judge.

One needn't believe in any gods to know to that it's not our lot to execute our fellow human beings. To do so is wrong on every level.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Another group over represented are the mentally impaired. People who aren't able to participate in their own defense, who don't even understand what they have done. Very low IQ people are too common in execution

It always disturbs me that children in our country are tried as adults-something they are not. Heinousness of the crime does not make a kid an adult. I can be guilty of not making that distinction myself when I hear of kids doing horrible things. It has to be worse to be an actual Moron and do something terrible. You would never understand.

But the worst of our system is that someone, or ones have to do it. People get paid to kill prisoners. Now that cant be healthy for them. First world countries don't do it.

Save    
elvis

dublinbay z6 (KS) My question was what was your point in offering an alternate stat?

To correct you. Freedom of choice. Take your pick.

How does your 1% "correction" relate to the topic of the thread?

Same way the questionable 4% does. At this time I'll spell out for you
that incarceration of even one innocent individual is unacceptable.
Your selective memory could be problematic on a forum like this one,
when posters are often reminded of previous stances posted here. I'm
happy to report that I can distinguish your past-stated views from
those of your confrères here.

Sounds like you support capital punishment, but you say you don't. Then why
would you want to give the wrong impression about your position?
This may come as a surprise, Elvis, but I really do not keep track of your
positions on most topics, although I assume you will usually take the
conservative side, if just to be contrary, in some cases.
Kate

Please show how I "sounded like I support it"^^^. As to our previous discussions about this topic, here's a refresher.

elvis

The guy's an aberration as far as I'm concerned. I know I have plenty of
company when I write that I'm pro-life, which excludes the death
penalty. Sounds like he's an "eye for an eye" kind of guy.

 1
Like  Save April 7, 2018 at 4:54PM

and another, both from your thread, kate:

elvis

arthurpym, I'm pro-life, which excludes the death penalty.

Huh? Seriously, how can you be pro-life and embrace murdering people for some civic reason/? That makes no sense.

Makes perfect sense. I am pro-life and being pro-life means no death
penalty. You know, Art, you need to cool your jets and stop ASSuming
you know what people really mean! You wrote on another thread that
you would be embarrassed to be me!
Huh.

 Like
 Save April 8, 2018 at 4:29PM

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5235298/kevin-williamson-hanging-women-who-have-an-abortion-is-pro-life#n=87

elvis
Good. The death penalty is wrong.

 2
Likes  Save February 19, 2019 at 7:08PM

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5621252/finally-something-good-from-the-gop#n=11

elvis

Just terrible. Momj47. You are preaching to the choir with me, though. I
am against the death penalty.

"How on earth could anyone watch. Aren't we, as a country, and as individuals, better than this?"

I believe that most of are. I hope so.

 Like
 Save July 23, 2014 at 7:38PM

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2173833/execution-took-two-hours-arent-we-better-than-this#n=68

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

That post is almost unreadable, Elvis, and certainly unnecessary. Once you stated you were anti-death penalty, I did not question your position in any way.

All I questioned was your assertion that I should have known your position because you had often stated it. My answer was that I don't pay that much attention to your stated positions--but I did not contest what you said your position was.

While we are in the "correction" mode, I might point out that you incorrectly said that your 1% statement was meant to "correct" me. I never said 4% or 1% or any %. It was Pat who said 4%, not me.

I'm surprised you couldn't remember what was said just a few posts earlier.

Kate

1 Like Save    
elvis

Okay.

Save    
Olychick

I'm not a supporter of the death penalty, but if I were, I'd like to know if treason/high crimes qualifies.

Save    
elvis

I'm not a supporter of the death penalty, but if I were, I'd like to know if treason/high crimes qualifies.

Treason does, however before you start drooling, make sure you understand the definition under federal law. It may surprise you.

18 U.S. Code § 2381 - Treason. Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000...

Who is the US at war with? That would be the "enemy".

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Tiny Houses Houzz Tour: Rolling With Simplicity in a Tiny House on Wheels
Just 240 square feet, this California home encourages efficient living — but there’s still room for yoga
Full Story
Know Your House Insulation Basics: What to Know About Spray Foam
Learn what exactly spray foam is, the pros and cons of using it and why you shouldn’t mess around with installation
Full Story
Working With an Interior Designer 10 Things Decorators Want You to Know About What They Do
They do more than pick pretty colors. Here's what decorators can do for you — and how you can help them
Full Story
We are a family owned and operated business located in Sterling, VA. Our passion for landscaping, attention to... Read More