OT......just because I need to whine !

yoyobon_gw

As of 4 pm today we have 10 inches of snow on top of sheets of frozen sleet from all day yesterday.

'Tis the Nor'easter season !

( although when I took this photo the green ruler showed 9 inches, it is currently at 10 inches and counting )

Southern Tier of New York state.

SaveComment20Like
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skibby (zone 4 Vermont)

Your photo could be titled Snow Falling on Cedar Picnic Table. We only got about 5 inches here, somewhat north of you.

3 Likes Save    
sheri_z6

We have maybe 4 inches (mid-state CT) but there's more on the way. That pic is impressive!

Save    
kathy_t

From the comfort of the no-snow, mid-40s Midwest, that photo looks lovely!

Save    
rouan

My sympathies, from central NY with 10 inches of snowfall. I shoveled 3 separate times so it wouldn’t be as heavy and hard to do. Now the snow is letting up so I hope not to have to shovel again. I hope your snowfall is over soon too!

Save    
annpanagain

How pretty the tree looks! We expect our first 100F Summer day today!

Save    
carolyn_ky

We got rain, 2.5", all day on Saturday, fairly pleasant yesterday but temps dropping, and today was cloudy, gloomy, and barely got above freezing. I stayed in and got on with Christmas decorating. The younger faction of my family came by after Thanksgiving dinner and carried my tree and all the tubs of decorations in from the garage. It takes me days to do all my stuff, but I do love Christmas--more so after everything is in place and I can just sit and look at it. A friend told me once that I don't need fewer ornaments, I just need more tree.

4 Likes Save    
roxanna7

bon, that's the view from my windows also! Snow still clinging to everything, so pretty. And more coming overnight...

Save    
yoyobon_gw

The thing I worried about was that the electrical wires to the house were first encased with ice last night and now loaded with wet heavy snow. As I sat in the house this afternoon I noticed that the wires started bouncing on their own without wind. Not sure why but all I could imagine was them breaking or pulling away from the house. So I went out and found some branches and threw them up at the wires to shake them up and get rid of the snow on them. It worked ! Might be a silly thing to worry about but........being a worrier , it was a natural for me :0)) We live up in the woods so the electrical service has a ways to go to get to us.

Save    
vee_new

yoyo, we get very little snow here, too far S W and right in the river valley of the Severn so your pic looks pretty but I'm of an age when I am glad not to be part of it!

We have made up for it with rain and more rain and, although it has now been dry for three whole days I think this has been the wettest Autumn since . . . the last wettest Autumn.

Also very few people over here live in woods/forests. Most of them were cut down hundreds of years ago and those that remain or have been replanted have strict rules/bylaws about building within them.

Apparently after Ireland the UK has the least trees of anywhere in Europe.

Save    
colleenoz

By contrast, we had about 41C/106F today...

Pity there isn't a happy medium for us all :-D

1 Like Save    
yoyobon_gw

106 F ? I would perish. Being born and raised in the northeastern USA I am used to fairly moderate seasons. We have excessive humidity when temps go up since we are in a river valley. My DIL moved here from CA and TX and one of the first miseries she encountered was the concept of high humidity. Awful. My hairdresser cuts hair according to the season.....if it's summer the humidity changes everything for those of us with hair that has frizzy tendencies !

Save    
msmeow

OMG! Being a Floridian I have only seen very small amounts of snow. We went to DC to visit my sister for New Year's 2018 and they had about 1/2" and we were freezing!

It's cold -well, for us - here, too (40s) but clear and sunny.

Colleen, do you have much humidity in Australia? Many times in the summer here the actual temp is mid 90s but humidity makes it feel 5-10 degrees hotter. We do get some actual summer temps over 100 but not too often.

Donna

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Donna....40 feels like a nice heat wave to us during the winter months :0) This morning our temps were at 19 degrees but I suspect it'll be up in the 20's for the day. The best snow to shovel is when the temps are around 0 degrees because then is is lighter and easier to move. Once the temps rise the snow gets heavier and there is more damage to trees, wires and backs !

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Speaking of OT.....here are hats I recently made for two of my crazy friends who actually requested them and wear them out and about !

4 Likes Save    
msmeow

Love the hats! What a cute and unique idea!

Donna

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

I've lived in snow country, years ago. I enjoyed the "novelty" of it when I was younger. Now, it would be just a nuisance. I'm not found of shoveling sidewalks. We are having an unusually cold and early winter for Charleston, SC. Several nights went down in the thirties, and days only in the forties. That is chilly for us. I don't mind that so much. It is the strong winds off our two rivers that make it hard to take an enjoyable walk!

Save    
yoyobon_gw

woodnymph.....yes, you have to make the plow guy your new best friend !

Save    
Rosefolly

That's a lot of snow!

And the hats are hysterical. I love them.

Save    
colleenoz

Donna, a lot depends on where you are and what time of year. In the north the summers are very hot and extremely humid, the season is called "The Wet" because there are frequent thunderstorms, some cyclones and flooding. Darwin has an almost daily thunderstorm the locals call "Hughie".

In the south where I am, it's sort of half dry heat days and half humid days. The humidity builds and builds until you think "Dear Lord, just rain and get it over with" and then it doesn't :-/. This is just summer settling in. It will go to 45C/113F or even a little more on many days before summer is over :-(

Save    
yoyobon_gw

OT ..........I hate the term " ghosting".....and " pushback"

why must they reinvent our language and then suddenly it's viral

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Houzz Tour: Just What Mom Wanted, Off the Washington Coast
With an art studio, age-in-place features and a view-maximizing design, this home shows just how well the architect knows his client
Full Story
Gardening Guides 6 Reasons I’m Not Looking Forward to Spring
Not kicking up your heels anticipating rushes of spring color and garden catalogs? You’re not alone
Full Story
The Polite House The Polite House: Do I Have to Display Decor Given to Me as a Gift?
Etiquette columnist Lizzie Post tackles the challenge of accepting and displaying home decor gifts from frequent visitors
Full Story
For nearly 20 years Grow Landscapes, Inc. has proven to be a leader in the industry in terms of design,... Read More