Melania Introduces 2019 Christmas Decorations at the White House

Carro

Beautiful.

The WH Advent Calendar, to trigger one day at a time ;-)

https://www.whitehouse.gov/adventcalendar/

SaveComment148Like2
Comments (148)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Quite an improvement over the gaunt and ghastly decorations last year.

However, there is still something so cold about a Melania decor--the kind of beauty one might see on a frigidly cold mid-December night of a full moon.

The kind one is glad to be standing inside a warm house while observing.

I know that isn't why Melania is wearing a coat inside for the tour--but it kind of feeds into the effect of "beautiful but shivery cold."

Kate

5 Likes Save    
roxsol

Very pretty!

This is my favourite Christmas Trigger;

14 Likes Save     Thanked by Carro
Stan Areted

Each administration brings different styles to our White House decor at Christmas.

I can't think of any that I didn't like.

I do, particularly, like this year's very elegant White House decor and Mrs. Trump

was every bit as elegant as the decor.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by Carro
HU-835802719

Lovely. How about adding some human decency?

I don’t care do U?

8 Likes Save    
katrina_ellen

She does have a flair for the dramatic. I love the effect of the white lights reflecting on the polished floor. Its simple yet memorable.

4 Likes Save    
Carro

I love the flowers- roses and paperwhites.

7 Likes Save    
Carro

roxsol, that is a great trigger!

4 Likes Save    
bpath reads banned books too(5b)

It’s lovely, and the rose garland is amazing.

3 Likes Save    
amicus

I think everything is beautifully artistic. It just isn't my taste though, as I prefer much more color and a more homey feel, rather than the highly stylized decor that looks more like something out of a high fashion magazine. Of course the White House has to look elegant, and my personal taste for Christmas decor looks more like what we often see in those Hallmark Christmas movies. Yes, I know it would look too schmaltzy for the WH, but I guess I find that old vintage Christmas village look, to be what makes my heart sing, because it's warm and nostalgic.

6 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

We won't have to hope nearly as much as those that said he'd already be gone by now.

3 Likes Save    
Olychick

It's very pretty. But Scrabble "Be

Best" as a decoration? It's embarrassingly illiterate.

8 Likes Save    
mr1010

As I've said in previous years I wish they would highlight ALL the workerbees who

made this happen in the WH.

Wouldn't it be more joyful to line up all the workers who stood on ladders and reached and stretched and almost fell off?

Now that would be a real WH Xmas Card Photo.

7 Likes Save    
roxsol

It's very pretty. But Scrabble "be best" as a decoration? It's embarrassingly illiterate.

To be fair, maybe one of the kids or grandkids made it. ;)

I’ve got a photo of my dog, photoshopped onto the body of Napoleon, decorated with little jingle bells. I didn’t ask questions but I hung it on my tree.

3 Likes Save    
lily316

Yeah, feature the workers and volunteers who did it all so she could beautify herself for a walk-thru.

Save    
roxsol

10 Likes Save    
Cookie8

Grrr. I'm angry I went with multi-colour lights for my tree. Should have chose white ones. Oh well, I still have youngish kids at home. It's for them.

1 Like Save    
Cookie8

Haha Roxsol, was that a gift?

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg(6)

Pretty. Much improved over the year of the red trees.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Haha Roxsol, was that a gift?

Yes, it’s one of my favourite ornaments.

3 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Thanks for posting the video, Carro. I thought it was gorgeous, and fitting for the White House.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Carro
Carro

mr1010

As I've said in previous years I wish they would highlight ALL the workerbees who

made this happen in the WH.

Wouldn't it be more joyful to line up all the workers who stood on ladders and reached and stretched and almost fell off?

Now that would be a real WH Xmas Card Photo.

Check out the WH calendar.

2 Likes Save    
Cookie8

"Haha Roxsol, was that a gift?

Yes, it’s one of my favourite ornaments."

Getting off topic? How did it come about? It made me look at my dog and I can't even begin to think of what she would be "fitted" with but your dog looks perfect!

3 Likes Save    
zmith

Very elegant! Love the rose garland around the fireplace.

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

How did it come about?

My adult daughter gave it to me. I can only assume that she thinks Frank is a little dictator.

eta Carro, sorry for getting off topic :(

Back to the OP!

1 Like Save     Thanked by Carro
MrsM(6)

Pretty. Much nicer than last years weirdness.

Save    
Nana H

Nicer than last year for sure. Definitely in keeping with her tastes and she gets to do that.

1 Like Save    
kadefol

I like this much better than last year's, but I wish they'd added some showy red amaryllis along with the white. That would look even more stunning.

3 Likes Save    
Cookie8

I like the hallway with the paper ornaments.

1 Like Save    
elvis

lily316

Yeah, feature the workers and volunteers who did it all so she could beautify herself for a walk-thru.

Yes, hopefully smiling all the way. FLOTUS should smile more.

She has such a lovely smile, probably never needed braces, lucky woman!

1 Like Save    
Carro

Gorgeous smile!

2 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,maifleur,others(8a)

I loved every bit of it. Thanks for posting :)

I love our homey, cozy, old-fashioned Christmas decor but I also have to admit that I would love to experience the kind of life that makes FLOTUS’s 2019 Christmas appropriate!

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Carro
Chi

Wouldn't it be nice to only have to pick a theme and then supervise everyone else decorating?

Definite improvement over last year. It looks nice.

4 Likes Save    
Chi

I wonder what will happen when we have a female President. Will her husband do the decorating?

3 Likes Save    
roxsol

Chi, she may have a husband/wife who has a flair for that stuff. Either way, I'm sure there will be someone to help them with it.

1 Like Save    

It feels good that I have the means and ability to create my own version of beauty.

Great would be having enough resources to say “I want it thus” and have that happen.

Better would be having enough resources and someone who knows me well enough that they don’t need the instruction.

Best would be having magical abilities, so all I had to do was think of what I want to see it appear before my very eyes!

(I feel this way only about Christmas decorating and landscaping (edit) !)

5 Likes Save    
Chi

Chi, she may have a husband/wife who has a flair for that stuff.

That's true. I always picture my husband, who would have a look of horror if asked to pick the holiday decorating theme, haha.

Last year, we had our kitchen remodeled and our contractor was the roughest, toughest, manliest guy ever and I will never forget the day he started telling me (in September) about how excited he is about Christmas and how he starts decorating right after Thanksgiving, and he went into exquisite detail about his Christmas villages and railroads and his lighting and decorating scheme and all. I guess you never know!

12 Likes Save    
Carro

Trains would be great.

6 Likes Save    
ohiomom

Very pretty (^_^)

1 Like Save    
margaritadina

Amazing fireplace rose garland. It never crossed my mind to introduce roses in to Christmas decor. I might adopt it )))

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Trains would be great.

Isn't there a Christmas train display every year around the White House outdoor Christmas tree?

Save    

I added dried miniature roses to our advent wreath one year and I really liked the result.

1 Like Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

Finally a Christmas decor we do not have to look at as a joke. I love it. White is a non color some people do not like because it feels sterile. I like white because it strikes me as clean and clean warms my heart. White has been my color scheme for the last 30 yrs so of course I would love her white theme. Ha, ha

Multi color lights and mismatch junk on my tree would have me pulling out the vac to clean it up.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Isn't there a Christmas train display every year around the White House outdoor Christmas tree?

Yes, there is! I answered my own question :)

https://nctrr.com

1 Like Save    
margaritadina

I just thought about something....When I was a kid (and young adult) we of course decorated Christmas tree every year, but didn't put as much decorations on it. Now in every pic - from the WH and other places - it looks like the C tree has to be completely covered with decorations and not a single branch has to show through. Is it a new trend ?

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

I always enjoy seeing creative results, miss lindsey. Maybe you could share yours!

1 Like Save    

For abh and any others interested in a break from the heat of hot topics!

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5823389/show-your-xmas-trees-decorations-here-2019

Save    
lily316

Although colored lights were part of my childhood trees, I've been white for many, many years now.

1 Like Save    
Carro

margaritadina

I just thought about something....When I was a kid (and young adult) we of course decorated Christmas tree every year, but didn't put as much decorations on it. Now in every pic - from the WH and other places - it looks like the C tree has to be completely covered with decorations and not a single branch has to show through. Is it a new trend ?

I've noticed that, too. Totally styled trees. I have several trees; the largest has colored lights. I'm sure that will change but for now, I like it.

Save    
blfenton

Waay better than last year, I like the lightness and the sparkliness (apparently this isn;t a word) of the decor. So pretty.

I wish she had smiled in the video, she has a pretty smile (I always like the way she looks when she in interacting with children) and it would have been nice to see a look of joy at the decorations.

The only thing I didn't like was the rose garland on the fireplace, I found it much too heavy in comparison to the overall look.

2 Likes Save    
chipotle

A perfume ad without the perfume.

5 Likes Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

Cookie8

Grrr.
I'm angry I went with multi-colour lights for my tree. Should have
chose white ones. Oh well, I still have youngish kids at home. It's for
them.

------------------------------

It is not to late to do a small tree. The kids love my tree it is the sparkle that hold their attention. My tree is white lights a few blue lights, Iridescent garland and clear crystal ornaments. The kids will sit a long time just looking at the sparkle. It could be a test to see if you want to do it next yr.

-

Save    
Carro

White cluster lights are all the thing this year.

Save    
Cookie8

marquest, I just bought the new lights last year. They are nice lights though - fairy lights - so they are smaller than regular LEDs but still multi coloured. I do have a couple of white lights pieces around though.

I like the fact they (WH) don't follow trends. Last year I binged watched people decorating for Christmas (???? I don't know why) but they all looked the same.

"(I feel this way only about Christmas decorating and landscaping (edit) !)"

Same.

Save    
elvis

Carro

White cluster lights are all the thing this year.

Apparently a very old ethnic tradition of upside down Christmas trees is making a comeback.

You can buy this via Houzz for $879.00 (only 1 left!) https://www.houzz.com/products/christmas-trees/?productId=36720520&redirect=-1&m_refid=Bing_PLA_HZ_36720520&msclkid=e75e70937dd11a1975e82d76d0e4f53d

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

When y'all are FLOTUS, you can decorate the way you want to.

2 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

Wow, big improvement over the creepy red forest from last year. It's very pretty, a lot of white reminds me of snow.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

No argument there. It is absolutely her right to decorate as she wishes and to reflect her style. Which is exactly what she did. I'm always interested in how she drapes her coats over her shoulders as if it was a cape. Definitely a look she owns.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

I'm always interested in how she drapes her coats over her shoulders as if it was[sic] a cape

She does it well, those coats would fall right off my shoulders if I wore them as though they were capes.

3 Likes Save    
roxsol

According to Vogue Magazine, wearing your coat like that is known as “shrobing”.

There’s a word for everything.

https://www.vogue.co.uk/gallery/what-is-shrobing-and-how-do-you-do-it

eta Oops, Nope, looking at the pictures at Vogue, Melania does a reverse shrobing.

But according to this site https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/fb-5630995/What-shrobing.html. it is indeed proper shrobing.

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

As I've said in previous years I wish they would highlight ALL the worker bees who made this happen in the WH.

I was thinking of all the worker bees refreshing the rose garland, the blooming paper whites, poinsettias, bouquets, etc. throughout the holiday season.

Happy to see the WH is fighting against the war on Advent -- just a little.

(Somehow USians just can't shake the over-the-top potlatch that Christmas has become, and Advent would be such a downer.)

Save    
barncatz

The White House looks lovely.

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)(zone 7, Northern VA)

Lovely.

2 Likes Save    
loonlakelaborcamp(3 A/B)

I like it. Can we all say how lovely it is without the snarkiness ?

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Do they not heat the WH? So many pics of her there with a coat on including her birthday pic...

Save    
foodonastump

Grrr. I'm angry I went with multi-colour lights for my tree.

Somewhere along the line (late 80’s?) my family switched to all white. I continued with white when I moved out, but eventually that seemed so tired and I loved adding color again, and it seemed others were shifting back, too. Then the bigger LED’s came out and they reminded me of the big bulbs of my childhood. That’s where I’m at right now, though walking through the neighborhood tonight it looks like everyone’s doing white again. I’ll hold out.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Do they not heat the WH?

Annie, I think she is playing it safe.

She learned from the previous FLOTUS that many Americans couldn’t handle bare arms, no matter how great they looked.

Smart move on her part.

3 Likes Save    
Delilah66

Annie: Birthday photo? What’s she so grumpy about?

blfenton: just “sparkle” will work fine! Offered with sincere kindness, but I apologize if I offend. Below is a photo of a gift I received from a friend, so you understand.

1 Like Save    
elvis

"Birthday photo"? How so? Is it one of who-knows-how-many photos happened to have been taken on her birthday? C'mon. "Birthday photo" is more like this:

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

Exactly elvis. Her day, her disdain?

Save    
elvis

Don't be silly.

Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

Cookie8

Last year I binged watched people decorating for Christmas (???? I don't know why) but they all looked the same.

-------------------------------

Why? Okay I won't ask. Maybe hit the stores after Christmas and find a little table tree and try the all white and crystal ornaments and watch the kids eyes. After Christmas it will be a cheap experiment.

Save    
sableincal

Regarding giving credit to the many, many people who work to decorate the WH for Christmas - every year HGTV does an hour-long program in December about the WH decorations, with much time spent on who does the work. I religiously watched those shows during the Laura Bush and Michelle Obama years. Truth is, though, I've seen so many that I don't recall if there were any made featuring Melania. Can't think of a reason why not, though. At any rate, credit is always given to those who do the planning and work, much of it by volunteers.

6 Likes Save    
lily316

The decorations this year are lovely. Not wild about the roses but everything else is pretty. I'm sure she didn't design it because their home at trump Towers is gosh darn ugly, tacky, and ALL gold and glitzy.

1 Like Save    
sableincal

HGTV has announced that it will be featuring this year's WH décor, so all those who are curious can finally see what occurs. Including copious words about all those, e.g. the Christmas tree farmer, who are involved. First ladies often barely appear on these shows.

3 Likes Save    
Olychick

I think she keeps her coat on should she see an opportunity for escape - she'll be prepared.

6 Likes Save    
queenmargo

just “sparkle” will work fine! Offered with sincere kindness, but I apologize if I offend.

LOL- you never apologize to me....

Save    
Carro

I'm sure she didn't design it because their home at trump Towers is gosh darn ugly, tacky, and ALL gold and glitzy.

lily, where DO you get your insider information? You seem to know so much with such certainty. It's like you and Melania are bffs.

So sure! So certain!

I remain very impressed.

3 Likes Save    
blfenton

@Delilah - No offence, correct away my grammar. I saw this on facebook

mmm - I can't load it, anyway it says

Santa has been reading your posts all year

Most of you are getting dictionaries,

7 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

We've all seen the magazine lay-outs of their living quarters, and Lily is right: ugly, tacky, gold, and glitzy.

Kate

5 Likes Save    
Carro

I also think the Trump penthouse is a gilded mess. Not my taste at all. Don't care how much money I won in the lottery. I wouldn't pay to make my home look like that.

I'd have a fire sale and gut the place. Start over with clean, contemporary styling.

5 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Amen to that Carro- all that glitters is not gold in my book of design. Each to our own;)

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

LOL- so for those posters that say we never say anything negative about Trump... HAH! Some of us don't agree with his design style;)

1 Like Save    
mudhouse

She does it well, those coats would fall right off my shoulders if I wore them as though they were capes.

Me too, and then as I bent over to pick up the coat from the floor, I'd fall off those tall high heels and break my ankle. The last press shot would be me being hauled off to an ambulance, swearing.

She has my complete respect.

3 Likes Save    
chipotle

Then the bigger LED’s came out and they reminded me of the big bulbs of my childhood.

The color is almost exactly the same as the old ceramic C9s. I have a string on an obelisk in the kitchen garden. Love the deep, rich color.

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

LOL- so for those posters that say we never say anything negative about
Trump... HAH! Some of us don't agree with his design style;)

Exactly. How about a little love for the warmth of mid century teak? Lots of gold opulence isn't my style, either.

2 Likes Save    

I got a few strings of the big white LEDs for my porch posts last season. Headed back to get more because I like them so much! (But one is burned out, boo. But it doesn’t affect the whole string, yay!)

1 Like Save    
lily316

As Kate responded, I have seen many articles over the years with lots of pictures and thought even back then...well you can't buy class. All glitzy gold carp and sorry if sounds like sour grapes but I would have none of it in my home.

4 Likes Save    
queenmargo

All glitzy gold carp and sorry if sounds like sour grapes but I would have none of it in my home.

Who cares lily? Just enjoy your design carp.;)

Save    
queenmargo

Another year of saying "Merry Christmas" ;))))) with ease.

Save    
catkinZ8a

The color is almost exactly the same as the old ceramic C9s. I have a string on an obelisk in the kitchen garden. Love the deep, rich color.

Pics or it never happened.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

LOL

Save    
elvis

I have seen many articles over the years with lots of pictures and thought even back then...well you can't buy class. All glitzy gold carp and sorry if sounds like sour grapes but I would have none of it in my home.

My mother said that people who say that don't have any.

4 Likes Save    
olliesmom

LOL

Save    
JodiK

In my opinion, it's all a waste of money on display, regardless the created holiday. It's just a big salute to commercialism, materialism, and that whole "mine is better than yours" idea that Americans seem to thrive on.

And, no... I'm not the least bit jealous. I find all that garbled glitz to be over the top. I do, however, have a few more pennies in my pocket because I don't fall into the abyss of capitalism's "buy, buy, buy" epithet.

But, hey... whatever smokes your shorts.

3 Likes Save    
lily316

Hey, Margo.. my "design carp" is all 19th-century antiques which I sell to many discriminating dealers on the east coast. Can you say the same?

Save    
Carro

lily316

Hey, Margo.. my "design carp" is all 19th-century antiques which I sell to many discriminating dealers on the east coast. Can you say the same?

Are you saying there's any accounting for taste? Look, someone sold Trump his gilded furniture, so.

There's always a market for things that collect dust and smell old.

3 Likes Save    
lily316

I could make a comment.

5 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

I agree with JodiK. But even if I succumbed to all that glitz, I find the color scheme way too cold. I wonder how the White House was decorated in the 18th or 19th centuries....

2 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

lily, I hear ya.

Save    
Carro

At least Melania didn't decorate the WH with old junk. I know there's a market for that sort of decor in Bucks and Chester etc.

1 Like Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Not just Bucks and Chester. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

4 Likes Save    
Carro

I highly doubt the WH has flea market wares.

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Some aren't as old as you wondered, but for you lily: Other White House Christmases

Save    
palisades_

That is a lovely setting - cool, quiet elegance without the screaming red bows, red ribbons and red poinsettias. Can imagine myself strolling along the path taking in the intoxicating paperwhite perfume.

Save    
lily316

I for one have zero flea market items in my house which has been featured in a magazine.

Save    
lily316

Thanks, rob. It was interesting looking back thru the years. I liked the two big trees in urns beside the door years ago.

Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

Lily let it go it is screenshot.

1 Like Save    
margaritadina

''

lily316

I
guess then you're denigrating the beautiful 19th-century pieces in the
WhiteHouse. Calling 150 year old antiques junk just shows the class of
some people who probably design with plastic and particleboard.

''

My mother called Meissen B1 design china that my ggmother gave me "junk". She threw out 200 yo persian rug that my ggmother also gave me without blinking an eye, it was very dark, lost it's pile, kinda lost shape and didn't appeal to her, and I cried hysterically over my loss (still hurts). I wouldn't call my mother classless. She was just not into it. I cherish ''junk'' and held large bulky box on my lap for 9+ hours on the plane. Couldn't get up from my seat for a while to get off the plane because I didn't feel my legs, but oh, so happy that nothing broke. Does it make me classy? No, don't think so. Makes me a hoarder (just kidding)))))

It's all in the eye of a beholder.

7 Likes Save    
elvis

lily316

I for one have zero flea market items in my house which has been featured in a magazine.

I doubt whether anyone here has flea market items in their homes which have been featured in a magazine. This one would be fun to work with, though:

Save    
lily316

Never heard of this magazine but then there are so many on the stand.

Save    
margaritadina

This is my favorite part ))) These horses are gorgeous ))))

3 Likes Save    
Ann

I think the White House decorations are gorgeous!

3 Likes Save    
margaux

This thread has taken a wrong turn somewhere and turned into personal attacks. Was it because Lily had the nerve to criticize the gold vomit of Trump Tower?

4 Likes Save    
elvis

Good grief. It's the man's personal home. Now if he shows up in the Oval wearing a toga, I'll become somewhat concerned.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Carro
queenmargo

lily316

As Kate responded, I have seen many articles over the years with lots of pictures and thought even back then...well you can't buy class. All glitzy gold carp and sorry if sounds like sour grapes but I would have none of it in my home.

lily316

First off dear lily, it was YOU who started calling things "carp" ( see your first comment in bold)

NO, I can not say that any of my "design carp" has hit the news stands, lol. However, I am not an antique lover either. I also am not a high end furniture buyer.

My attitude towards decorating and design is totally personal. Each to our own, as it is ALL "design carp"... no one takes this stuff with us in the end, it is all on loan while we are on this earth. So, believe me, my comment was NOT a personal attack!

3 Likes Save    
elvis

lily316

Good to know, lily316. I'm sure that everyone reading your comment will take note, who knew? That's really...something.

1 Like Save    
lily316

Margaritadina,,,Every generation is different. I grew up going to my grandmothers' houses which were both built around 1850. They both had parlors where we kids weren't allowed. The next generation, my parents, had all mid-century furniture in their brand new ranch home because that was the times they lived in. When I first got into antiques, encouraged by an uncle, my parents thought I was nuts. They lived with this stuff and now wanted new although they did have family heirlooms mixed in. Now MY kids love the mid century look that my parents had and don't like or want antiques so... Daughter likes Joanna Gaines' style and will mix in an antique or two. Sadly it's a trend away from antiques these days. Who knows what the grandkids will like?

Save    
Stan Areted

Those of us who have inherited a love of antiques are pretty much considered antiques ourselves, with a few exceptions. It's interesting how even mid life and after one can change their preferences to more clean styles, or updating, which I think makes for a more interesting mix in some homes. Thing is, young people these days for the most part don't want our "antiques." They don't want a hundred and thirty year old lamp great grandmother used to carry to light her way through the house. They acknowledge it, but they don't want it.

There will always be a market for antiques and pieces with a story, even if it's not a progeny. We treasure pieces from generations back in our families as well as those purchased and it's an honor to care for an item used or loved by another family never known, from many, many years ago.

As someone mentioned it's just stuff and it's all on this earth in one shape or form unless it goes up in space. So, we're going to have to live with gilded bathrooms, dusty old antiques, or Joanna Gaines quotes made from treated wood one way or the other until we're done.

Freedom is a great thing--what makes people happy is a great thing.

Opinions are a great thing, a little humor and eye rolling is a great thing--arrogant judgmental intolerance, not so pretty.

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

I have never understood why people get attached to their belongings. I get the handed down, family history things that people feel sentimental about, but not the purchased stuff. My first thread on Houzz was "rolling my eyes" at magnets on refrigerators, lol, BOY, did I hit a nerve lol lol lol. I mean I got an ear full. LOL over MAGNETS! Still makes me laugh today when I think about it!

3 Likes Save    
blfenton

But even antiques were at one time purchased and at some point of age they simply got defined as antiques because they still existed. Perhaps that's why some people don't absorb the value that some place on those pieces, especially our kids.

My MIL is downsizing and has an "antique" dining room table. She offered it to my son and his partner but the list of rules that she gave them for taking care of it scared them off. They want to actually use it on an everyday basis, not put a museum rope around it.

I have a 1910 quarter sawn oak table which I bought because I was looking for a table with the specific lines that it had. I didn't care that it was an antique and I don't expect my kids to want it and preserve it. However, I do love it but not because it's an antique. My favourite piece of furniture is a buffet that my uncle made in Gr. 12 woodwork when he was 17. He is now 87. It's 70 years old and I love it. It's an emotional attachment and nothing more.

Oh and Fridge Magnets - (shiver), never ever on my fridge.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Oh and Fridge Magnets - (shiver), never ever on my fridge.

Does that make us besties now blfenton?

2 Likes Save    
blfenton

Well, it does give us one thing in common. :)

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Refrigerator magnets. I collect those from travels, along with masks. For us, it's like little memory albums in a compact form. The memories, that seeing these objects on a frequent basis bring on, are more satisfying to us than the occasional sit-down to gaze at photographs. Also, no unflattering photos, just the view from the inside of our eyes remains as memories.

Do be sure that there aren't any burrs on the magnets, as they will scar your appliance.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

A dear friend , who oozed taste and style, once told me to never buy anything with the thought it will last a life time, buy with the thought that when I tire of it I won't feel guilty replacing it. My psyche doesn't work that way but I wish it did.

1 Like Save    
lily316

The young crowd today hasn't realized the quality of antiques. I have all my clothes stored in five Sheraton chests and the drawers slide open easily as they did in 1840. Everything was made of high-quality material. I have a problem with kids who don't want pieces that traveled here over 300 years ago from Germany and Switzerland by their ancestors because they were precious to them. All the generations from 1709 - 2019 kept them. Not a sentimental bone in their bodies.

1 Like Save    
Carro

I remember refrigerator poetry. I had some theme box or another at one point.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I liked the gold pinecones. I have a lot of pinecones and birds for my tree-collected over the years. those were nice and they do have some traditionally decorated trees. The one with the Be Best is obviously games. I am not a fan of the roses but like the stars. I have similar shaped but smaller glass stars. They are fragile and I have fewer every year.

This was much better than the blood trees or those black twig things from the first year.

I wonder when the decorating got so over the top though? Trying to out do the year before maybe? My decorations have meaning for me. I lost to me priceless decorations when my home burned. Handpainted eggs and all sorts of lovely glass ornaments I had found over the years. It was hard to start again. I saw it all as doomed. Well it is all doomed but I am going to enjoy it. What happens to all the WH stuff?

2 Likes Save    
Carro

lost to me priceless decorations when my home burned. Handpainted eggs and all sorts of lovely glass ornaments I had found over the years. It was hard to start again. I saw it all as doomed. Well it is all doomed but I am going to enjoy it.

Oh, no, I'm so sorry!

Decorating every inch, nook and cranny seems to be in.

1 Like Save    
lily316

If anyone wants to see an excess tune in the Great American Light show on ABC, I think. It's insane. Houses with one MILLION lights and some are so gaudy, I pity the neighbors. They start decorating in August as I tell my husband who complains about five minutes of putting lights out.

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

I have never understood why people get attached to their belongings. I get the handed down, family history things that people feel sentimental about, but not the purchased stuff.

I am with you on that one, we actually don't own this stuff we pay for the privilege to use it while we are here and when we are gone it becomes other people's stuff.

1 Like Save    
socks(10a)

I cherish memories more than stuff. Photos are nice to jog memories, though.

As for the video, I didn't care for it. I don't admire her or seeing her fingering the decorations.

Elvis, what if he shows up in the WH wearing a crown and ermine cape?

Save    
Carro

I think the video has great production value, and I love her coat drape.

She must have very strong clavicles.

Save    
barncatz

I wanted to get a closer look at the WH decorations and found this article with more photos and descriptions, in case anyone else is interested. I didn't find an answer to what happens to all the decorations. They must store a lot of them for reuse though - right?

https://www.businessinsider.com/white-house-christmas-decorations-photos-2019-12

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Lily, I agree with you about the quality of older furniture versus newer, and you don't have to go all the way back to antiques, either. I have mid century pieces over 50 years old and the drawers slide smooth as butter, compared to newer pieces we bought 20 years ago.

Patriciae, so sorry to hear that your house burned. I admit I'm a "stuff person," and starting over would be hard for me, too.

None of the kids in my family want things that belonged to my grandparents, for the most part. I've sold things various ways, over the last few years, and it often feels more like an adoption process than a sale, because I'm trying to at least get them into the hands of people who might enjoy owning them.

4 Likes Save    
roxsol

They must store a lot of them for reuse though - right?

barncatz, I think they do. This is from a People Magazine 2009 article:

We took about 800 ornaments left over from previous administrations, we sent them to 60 local community groups throughout the country, and asked them to decorate them to pay tribute to a favorite local landmark and then send them back to us for display here at the White House,” said Mrs. Obama.“

https://people.com/celebrity/obamas-recycle-ornaments-from-christmas-past/

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Thank you for feeling for me. My Victorian was struck by lightening. Burned like a box of matches. It was full of appropriate antiques repaired and redone by me, wonderful things that I had discovered over many years. It was a huge loss. The IRS does not recognize your labor as a loss-only that of people you pay. I had such beautiful things. So it goes. Life is hard. It was a constant fight for me at first to buy anything. Well you try to put life in context as in why should I be exempt from disaster since so many people experience disaster? It gives me context for life. That is something to celebrate don't you think? Well I try. Christmas is extra special. I has a Papa who made it magical when I was small. My sibs are all Christmas people.

8 Likes Save    
margaritadina

''

lily316

Margaritadina,,,Every
generation is different. I grew up going to my grandmothers' houses
which were both built around 1850. They both had parlors where we kids
weren't allowed. The next generation, my parents, had all mid-century
furniture in their brand new ranch home because that was the times they
lived in. When I first got into antiques, encouraged by an uncle, my
parents thought I was nuts. They lived with this stuff and now wanted
new although they did have family heirlooms mixed in. Now MY kids love
the mid century look that my parents had and don't like or want antiques
so... Daughter likes Joanna Gaines' style and will mix in an antique
or two. Sadly it's a trend away from antiques these days.

Who knows what
the grandkids will like?''

No one got me into loving antiques, I guess a I am natural )))) I appreciate the craftsmanship of things done with love and pride, the art of creating that is forever gone. I love old high end homes, too.

Lily, I know what future generations will love as their antiques. First generation iPhones lol:. There is a market for it already.

''patriciae_gw(07) My Victorian was struck by lightening.''

So sorry. That is an awful experience to go though....

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Carro
mudhouse

It was full of appropriate antiques repaired and redone by me, wonderful things that I had discovered over many years. It was a huge loss.

Yes, I get it. When you're a hunter/collector, you know the stars have to align right for your hard work to pay off, so you're in the right place at the right time to find that treasure, and at a price that works for you. Then you bring it home and clean/restore/repair/refinish it, and you have even more of yourself invested in it. You can't recreate the opportunity to own those special things, and you can't go buy more at the furniture store.

I really admire your good attitude about the loss, Patriciae. It sounds like you have sorted out what is most important; good for you.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by Carro
elvis

I'm sorry for your loss, patriciae. I've heard that losing one's home to a fire is one of the greatest traumas one can experience. So hard. Your attitude sounds healthy.

lily316

Patriciae...I am so sorry about the loss of your precious house. Victorian houses are lovely and it sounds like you decorated it to match the period. Did this happen recently? Were you able to salvage anything?

My house is 180 years old and every inch of it is wood so it would go up in a flash fueled by all the wood furniture and things I have. My heart breaks when I see fires on the TV news. I worry if there ever was a fire, my animals might hide.

2 Likes Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

patriciae_gw(07)i

Christmas is extra special. I had a Papa who made it magical when I was small. My sibs are all Christmas people.

-------------

You have such a beautiful attitude about life. You are inspiring.

I agree Christmas is extra special and it is special because IMO Christmas or anything in life is what you make it to be..........happy, sad, commercial, everybody has the power to make the holiday to their taste. I love Christmas my entire family love Christmas it is a happy family fun time.

3 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Paticiae, God bless you for sharing what happened and how you have lived with it; your story and your words make us stop, think, learn, and become inspired from others. Blessings to you this season.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Carro
petalique

Patricae, I am sorry to hear of your house and treasured collections being lost. I am heartened to hear that you’ve found some measure of acceptance and philosophy to help your perspective. And you have the “home” within your heart, wherever you go. I can appreciate the love, passion and talent you put into the complex years of finding, restoring and bringing beautiful things back to life. A thing of beauty is a joy forever (even if only a memory).

Roxol— I love that framed photo of Frank hanging from your tree. If your snapshot was on a Christmas card, I’d buy a few. And, if Frank ever needs a second home....

Lily — interesting about your passion. I admire certain older pieces that were passed down to me, or I found. Very modest items. I don’t think any of my family & extended family would enjoy them. I have an old, unfinished pine or ____? wood, (not dark, but an aged, matte, not shiny Boston type rocker, large. Not like the ones commonly seen. This one is hand made and with a seat from a single piece of wood, about 30” wide. It’s old, with character. I could rock in it, but it’s in the master bedroom. I have no idea who in our family would care about having their great-grandmother’s simple rocker. I also have a few old, still functional, nice looking hard stone bean pots ( New Englander here). And a few old, simple, working people’s marine items. No Ikea.

3 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

That was 1993. I designed and built a new house, so right for the spot that many people thought we had managed to save a lot of the house even though they had seen it was just ashes. Still my marriage failed over it so that being worse puts a house and stuff in context. I was over the moon that we survived and saved our pets, he couldn't get past the loss and his inability to somehow make that go away. But here is how you move on. We rented an old house from friends (mom was in a nursing home) and there was a cabinet full of junk to clear out and on a shelf was a broken china bluejay that had been part of a figurine. I fixed it up with epoxy putty and made a tree ornament out of it instead of throwing it in the trash. And so I started collecting birds that I have made into ornaments. And life goes on.

Thank you all for the sympathy. I will think about that when I clip my birds on the tree.

7 Likes Save    
barncatz

Oh, nice, patricae.

DD is coming home for christmas and she and I have one plan - to see Little Women together on Christmas day. Both of us have agreed that Christian Bale will always be Laurie but we're still so excited to see this remake - it looks gorgeous.

Save    
lily316

You have a wonderful attitude, Patricae and I admire you for it. I am not sure I would be so strong. Many marriages don't survive horrific events.

1 Like Save    
lily316

barncatz. Little Women was my favorite childhood book and when I saw the movie back then, I came home and organized my neighborhood kids in a play based on the movie. Of course, I appointed myself Jo.

1 Like Save    
petalique

Wonderful, lily316!

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Design Details Sophisticated Hues at the 2019 Kips Bay Decorator Show House
See how this year’s designers mix patterns, soothing colors and thoughtful touches in a renovated New York City gem
Full Story
Landscape Design 10 Ways to Decorate With Outdoor Christmas Lights
Use these techniques to light up your house and garden for the holiday season
Full Story
Christmas Trees Christmas Tree Decorating the Painless Way
Holidays are for carols, not cussing. Make tree trimming less work and more fun with this guide at your side
Full Story
We are a class "A" licensed & insured general contractor specializing in high-quality residential remodels &... Read More