Ukraine’s Zelensky again denies quid pro quo during Trump phone call

Carro

Desperation makes people do the damnedest things. Maybe the 3rd time will be a charm. Maybe the 3rd time Zelensky denies Trump's "quid pro quo" a cock will crow.

As long as Zelensky denies there was a quid pro quo and there is no concrete evidence proving that Trump withheld the aide for something in return, it seems to me it's silly to pursue this.

Ukraine’s Zelensky again denies quid pro quo during Trump phone call

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky denied once again that President Trump used nearly $400 million in military aid as a bargaining chip to pressure him to launch investigations into former Vice President Joe Biden and Ukraine’s role in the 2016 US election.

“I did not speak with US President Trump in those terms: you give me this, I give you that,” Zelensky told German magazine Der Spiegel in an interview published Monday.

The July 25 phone call between Zelensky and Trump sparked the impeachment inquiry that is underway in the House.

Trump has called the phone call “perfect” and blasted the Democrats’ impeachment effort as a “witch hunt.”

Full Story

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky denied once again that President Trump used nearly $400 million in military aid as a bargaining chip to pressure him to launch investigations into former Vice President Joe Biden and Ukraine’s role in the 2016 US election.

“I did not speak with US President Trump in those terms: you give me this, I give you that,” Zelensky told German magazine Der Spiegel in an interview published Monday.

The July 25 phone call between Zelensky and Trump sparked the impeachment inquiry that is underway in the House.

Trump has called the phone call “perfect” and blasted the Democrats’ impeachment effort as a “witch hunt.”

“As for the United States, I do not want us to act like beggars. But you have to realize that we are at war,” Zelensky told the publication. “And if you are our strategic partner then you should not block any help. It’s about fairness for me. It’s not about a quid pro quo, it’s just a story in itself.”

The military aid, which was approved by Congress in January and eventually released on Sept. 11, supports Ukraine’s fight against Russian-backed separatists in the eastern part of the country.

In the interview, Zelensky was asked about Trump’s claim that he held up the military assistance to ensure that Ukraine was taking steps to combat rampant corruption.

“I do not have to convince him. I told him at our meeting that I do not want him to have such a picture of our country. And that he should just come here and see how we live, and above all, what we are for people,” Zelensky said. “It seemed to me that he heard me. At least he said at the meeting: Yes, I see, they are young, new people.”

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said he understands that Ukraine’s leaders would want assistance from the US and that the Trump administration has supported the Ukrainian people.

“I certainly understand President Zelensky would want more and want it faster,” he said during an interview on “Fox & Friends.” “I can certainly understand that. But this administration has done yeoman work in providing assistance to Ukrainian defense forces.”

Zelensky, in an interview in October, said he was unaware that the military aid was suspended when he spoke to Trump in July.

SaveComment34Like2
Comments (34)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ziemia(6a)

Of course he does. He's not stupid.

2 Likes Save    
paprikash

Yes!

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Carro
Ziemia(6a)

Clinton was duly elected. As was Nixon.

That argument is so last month.

1 Like Save    
chipotle

1 Like Save    
cecily 7A

Charlie Daniels is a great fiddler. That gives his political opinions no particular relevance. President Zelensky is in a tight spot; he knows what Trump is capable of and must stay on his "good" side to keep aid flowing.

Save    
Carro

They can try to conflate disparate Zelensky quotes but he always answers directly to the qpq question, and the answer is "NO".

To Charlie Daniels, the answer is 'YES!".

1 Like Save    
Carro

cecily 7A

Charlie Daniels is a great fiddler. That gives his political opinions no particular relevance. President Zelensky is in a tight spot; he knows what Trump is capable of and must stay on his "good" side to keep aid flowing.

Based on history, Zelensky knows what the Democrats are capable of. One BILLION reasons to know what they're capable of.

1 Like Save    
Chi

"As long as Zelensky denies there was a quid pro quo and there is no concrete evidence proving that Trump withheld the aide for something in return, it seems to me it's silly to pursue this."

Great, let's get Trump and the others who witnessed the phone call to testify the same under oath and then we can wrap it up.

1 Like Save    
Chi

"I did not speak with US President Trump in those terms: you give me this, I give you that"

This seems like very specific and careful wording to me.

1 Like Save    
Carro

Sounds like denying that he was bribed. Now Biden otoh...

2 Likes Save    
Carro

What gets me is that thus far there's no concrete evidence of it and when you combine that with Zelensky's repeated denials that one existed, there simply nothing there for democrats to justify sending this thing to the Senate.

Nadler has an impeachment in search of a narrative.

1 Like Save    
Chi

I don't see that at all. I see him saying that the president did not specifically say that aid is dependent on the investigation. This is not a situation where Trump had to utter very specific words to be in violation.

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

Trump is going to be impeached or censured at the very least.

Save    
Carro

Thus far, there's nothing that he needs to defend himself against. Accusations of a quid pro quo based on presumptions, assumptions and speculation, without any concrete evidence to back it up with, don't need to be defended.

1 Like Save    
Chi

"What gets me is that thus far there's no concrete evidence of it and when you combine that with Zelensky's repeated denials that one existed, there simply nothing there for democrats to justify sending this thing to the Senate."

You mean evidence like testimony by people who were actually there? It's because the Republicans won't let them.

It's unbelievable. They don't let the witnesses with first hand information testify, and then triumphantly declare that there is no evidence.

2 Likes Save    
Carro

Neither Trump nor Zelensky have said the magical words in some magical order, so a crime can be proven. Add to that there is no direct testimony to prove a crime.

Democrats can impeach and they probably are stupid enough to do so, but Trump will not be removed. So, we'll have Democrats doing exactly nothing for years. All that time and all that money and bupkis.

People have noticed.

1 Like Save    
1 Like Save    
Chi

"Add to that there is no direct testimony to prove a crime."

Because they refuse to testify. I'm going to keep repeating this because it's crucially important. It's like hiding evidence then declaring there's no evidence. We see through it.

If Trump and everyone else on that call testifies under oath that he didn't do what he's accused of, then that's an entirely different story.

3 Likes Save    
Delilah66

"Speaking to reporters from TIME and three of Europe’s leading publications [Saturday], the President explained that, despite getting caught up in the impeachment inquiry now unfolding in Washington, D.C., Ukraine still needs the support of the United States."

He's begging the US not to desert Ukraine. What else can he say?

"This is not a situation where Trump had to utter very specific words to be in violation."

Agree and as said at least once here and in a news report or a hundred, we do not need President Zelensky to say it was quid pro quo nor do we need him to say he felt pressured to investigate a political opponent. This is our fight and our laws, not his.

2 Likes Save    
chipotle

What gets me is that thus far there's no concrete evidence of it and when you combine that with Zelensky's repeated denials that one existed, there simply nothing there for democrats to justify sending this thing to the Senate.

Wrong. Zelensky’s quote makes clear he knew he had no real choice given the realities of the ongoing war with Russia and desperate need for US foreign aid.

1 Like Save    
Carro

Baloney. You're not a mind reader and when Zelensky clarifies, you don't believe him.

2 Likes Save    
olliesmom

Americans ought to all ask for our tax money back for what work Dems were suppose to have accomplished these last three years. How many millions in all, have Dems spent on trying to get this President impeached from day one, and also the Kavanaugh hearings? It's ludicrous.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Carro
Kathy

Zelensky ran on anti-corruption. Do you really think he would admit when he said he would do whatever it takes to get to the bottom of it that he was committing quid pro quo?

President Zelenskyy: Yes it is very important for me and everything that you just mentioned earlier. For me as a President, it is very important and we are open for any future cooperation. We are ready to open a new page on cooperation in relations between the United States and Ukraine. For that purpose, I just recalled our ambassador from United States and he will be replaced by a very competent and very experienced ambassador who will work hard on making sure that our two nations are getting closer. I would also like and hope to see him having your trust and your confidence and have personal relations with you so we can cooperate even more so. I will personally tell you that one of my assistants spoke with Mr. Giuliani just recently and we are hoping very much that Mr. Giuliani will be able to travel to Ukraine and we will meet once he comes to Ukraine. I just wanted to assure you once again that you have nobody but friends around us. I will make sure that I surround myself with the best and most experienced people. I also wanted to tell you that we are friends. We are great friends and you Mr. President have friends in our country so we can continue our strategic partnership. I also plan to surround myself with great people and in addition to that investigation, I guarantee as the President of Ukraine that all the investigations will be done openly and candidly. That I can assure you.

Save    
Carro

Don't forget the Mueller investigation. I think I read Nadler is going to bring Russian collusion back.

2 Likes Save    
Chi

"Don't forget the Mueller investigation"

Only his supporters believe the investigation cleared Trump.

How much money did we waste on the Benghazi hearing with no charges ever made?

Save    
Delilah66

The republican'ts are just as responsible for the "millions" (??) spent on the impeachment inquiry through stonewalling, lying, and insipid attempts and school children pranks to derail the Constitutional process. The initial responsibility is on those who elected the dolt. Claim your prize.

How many millions did the republican'ts spend on the Clinton impeachment? I expect deflection to "but he was found guilty." By asking for your money back now you are presupposing trump will not be impeached. Whistle in the dark. Then let's see how many millions the republican'ts spend defending him.

2 Likes Save    
Delilah66

"I think I read Nadler is going to bring Russian collusion back."

You "think"? Bad memory? Poor reading skills? Prevarication?

Save    
margaux

Why did Trump hold up the aid from June to September? Who wants to hear the answer to that from Mulvaney or Pompeo testifying under oath?

Raise your hand!

8 Likes Save    
Chi

I would also like to know why he didn't tell Congress, as required by law.

3 Likes Save    
Delilah66

Me me me! And the playground bully!

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

For the record (again): Bill Clinton was found "not guilty" at the impeachment trial.

Kate

2 Likes Save    
Delilah66

Chi, that question is way too easily answered. [Flipping through my records....] Ah, here it is:

He was duly elected and he gets to set policy. Hmmm, right church, wrong pew?

The best economy ever? Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket!

https://youtu.be/pkYNBwCEeH4

2 Likes Save    
chipotle

2 Likes Save    
Carro

So, Zelensky makes a broad statement and Scuitto ascribes a specific meaning to it (to work against Trump, of course). Then Zelensky makes a point to once again state Trump made no qpq, and he ignores it.

Facts don't penetrate his bubble head.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Know Your House Insulation Basics: What to Know About Spray Foam
Learn what exactly spray foam is, the pros and cons of using it and why you shouldn’t mess around with installation
Full Story
Decorating Guides What to Know About Switching to LED Lightbulbs
If you’ve been thinking about changing over to LEDs but aren't sure how to do it and which to buy, this story is for you
Full Story
Your First House Could You Live in a Tiny House?
10 things to consider if you’re thinking of downsizing — way down
Full Story