SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanjeanremodelmachine

Backsplash behind open shelving? p.s. Is calcite OK behind sink?

Mittens Cat
4 years ago

Two part question here, sorry!

1.) Two 3" thick walnut shelves will be installed between our upper white cabinets. Originally, I was thinking I'd take the backsplash up behind the shelves to the top of the white cabinets, but lately thinking maybe it makes more sense to just backsplash the long rectangle under the white cabinets. I don't know exactly what we'll be putting on those shelves yet, but I'd rather they not compete visually with what's behind them. Also, I prefer a lighter look, and it seems unless we do all white tile, a backsplash might feel a bit top heavy if it goes to the top of the white cabinets. Thoughts?

2.) I've seesawed for months on backsplash material and have narrowed it down to two categories: either a stone slab OR a white/cream colored tile that has some subtle texture or dimensional quality. I am not fond of stripes, dots, hexagons, pickets and most other geometric designs. I'd like to keep the overlook demure but not dull. A little color is ok, but I'm no longer looking to jazz things up with cobalt blue, either! :)

Oh, and curious about using calcite or dolomite for the backsplash, since it's just behind the sink (induction cooktop is on island). Counters are Pental Super White quartz.

Any ideas, Hive Tribe? Thanks!

Comments (60)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz