Trump has until 6pm...

chipotle

...to say if he or his lawyers will participate in impeachment hearings.

Predictions?

SaveComment39Like
Comments (39)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lily316

Don't bother him with small stuff. He's probably golfing or tweeting.

5 Likes Save    
cattyles

My predictions is there are lots of lawyers with tears of laughter streaming down their face at the very thought of defending him.

7 Likes Save    
Nana H

He won't, nor do I think he should in this first round of hearings Wednesday. When they are evidentiary it's a different matter but he has until Friday to decide that. Even then I don't think he will given the conditions placed on his participation.

Save    
queenmargo

Don't bother him with small stuff. He's probably golfing or tweeting.

A Kwong supporter? lol lol..... fake news

2 Likes Save    
maddie260

He'll have a silly excuse his followers will believe. That is baked in the cake.

6 Likes Save    
Carro

maddie260

He'll have a silly excuse his followers will believe. That is baked in the cake.

Did you get to keep your doctor and insurance? Did you know that Benghazi was a spontaneous uprising over a viral video (that nomads in the desert could all see).

As Bugs Bunny says, what a gulla bull!

2 Likes Save    
chipotle

My prediction is he'll decline and whine.

11 Likes Save    
Carro

Of course Trump will decline. He's not going to get entrapped in that kangaroo court. Dems want Trump to prove he's innocent, meanwhile, they've yet to convince who they need to convince, that he's guilty.

1 Like Save    
chipotle

An innocent man would have nothing to fear.

11 Likes Save    
Delilah66

Weren’t the republican’ts complaining that melon head wasn’t allowed to participate?

5 Likes Save    
elvis

chipotle

An innocent man would have nothing to fear.

You bet your bippy. There is no doubt that very assurance gave great comfort during the Spanish Inquisition, and more recently, the Salem Witch Trials.

4 Likes Save    
Chi

Wonder how the right would have reacted if Hillary refused to participate in the Benghazi hearings. But she did participate, because that's what people with nothing to hide do.

The country is watching. This is the behavior of a guilty man. The Republicans whine about how the witnesses don't have first-hand knowledge yet won't let those with first-hand knowledge testify. We all see right through it.

15 Likes Save    
Carro

Hillary's emails said it all. We knew what she knew, when she knew it. Both Clintons had the hubris to lie before Congress.

2 Likes Save    
Chi

And Trump's phone call said it all. Put him on the stand.

9 Likes Save    
Carro

And Trump's phone call said it all. Put him on the stand.

LOL

Save    
jerzeegirl(9b)

LOL Fat Donald entraps himself when he opens his yap. LOL LOL LOL

7 Likes Save    
Chi

Yep that's why they will never let him testify. He will perjure himself in 30 seconds flat, and we all know it.

12 Likes Save    
Carro

Let's see if Schiff accepts an invitation to testify. And his little flying monkeys, too.

6 Likes Save    
petalique

It’s nearly 7PM ET. I skipped ahead, but, I’m going to go with “no.”

There is overwhelming evidence and people whose heads are on straight, wired up correctly, and who treasure our beautiful country and unusual democracy and freedoms will support impeachment and removal from office soon. He is a danger to national security and many other things. And, clearly he is corrupt.

But, since Trump has no defense, I suspect he will run his particular play of denying, smearing, impugning, getting his clueless base and DC tribe to blat and bleat in opposition. He’ll whine on about how “unfair” it is, not mention his longstanding obstruction of all inquiries, but blah blah blah. Fox entertainment Russian-style news put in their streaming screamin’.

The man is a disastrous uneducated, pigheaded, dictator coddling, self-enriching, dishonest, unAmerican, Russia-promoting sociopath, malignant narcissist.

18 Likes Save    
cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)(zone 7, Northern VA)

Petalique, I think you covered it. Well done.

6 Likes Save    
Carro

You want a replay of Bill Clinton, and you're not going to get it. The sad part is that Democrats have only impeachment as a strategy for 2020. Not a winning candidate.

4 Likes Save    
petalique

Oh, thanks, cyn427. More and more people are listening, noticing the constant lies and ridiculous nonsense spewed by Lindsey Graham. Gym slappin’ Jordan, Putin & Friends, little tommie tucker, Moscow Mitch, Fooliani with his criminal Trump-Rudy buddies, Lev & Igor.

It’s complex for busy people. The decent media and the Democrats NEED ANIMATION.

FLOW CHARTS! Animation. Animated and hyperlinked time lines, WHO’S WHO with expanding hyperlinks. Little Re-cap quizzes ;)

Animation would be an enormous advantage for those wanting to help inform those voters who might welcome a hand pulling all of this together. Smart cartoons as well. I come up with cartoon themes, but can hardly draw a stick figure.

Anyone here draw cartoons?

5 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Trump has officially declined to participate in the impeachment inquiry.

He's whining about it being "unfair".

It IS "unfair" Full stop!

Save    
Chi

Yeah, poor Trumpy being caught as a traitor. So unfair.

9 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

I have watched and followed. I have heard the resident in the White House call his opposition maniacs, hoaxters, scum, on a witch hunt. He is sick, a disgrace. Don't like being investigated? Well it's a legal process. Don't want to testify? You have made it clear who you are. A huckster and a cheat. I am sorry that I ever had to think about him and if he is ever gone from the tweet scene I will praise the lucky stars of America.

By the way -- I am quite aware that I have contributed nothing new to this conversation. Call it "hate" if you wish, I call it utter disdain.

11 Likes Save    
mudhouse

lumpytrumpy: Trump has officially declined to participate in the impeachment inquiry.

No; the White House replied they will not participate in the Wednesday hearing, but counsel Cipollone has requested more information about future hearings before making a decision about those. The judicial committee hasn't even been able to say what witnesses will be called on Wednesday. So far, it's shaping up to be a discussion with four law professors or "legal experts" about the history of impeachment, in an attempt to make this all seem like a legitimate process. (You can be sure those chosen by Nadler will support the views of the left, and I think the majority gets to choose three of the four.)

From Cipollone’s reply:

"Your letter provides little information about the upcoming hearing. It vaguely indicates that you intend to hold a hearing to discuss the "historical and constitutional basis of impeachment." We understand from rumors and press reports (though not from any notice provided in your letter or in the official notice of the hearing) that the hearing will consist of an academic discussion by law professors. We understand this to mean that your initial hearing will include no fact witnesses at all."

Given the current understanding (no witnesses identified, and only law professors to discuss the historical grounds for impeachment) I don’t understand what counsel for Trump would gain by attending.

It sounds like the goal is to make television-ready moments to convince the general public that the committee is Doing Something Very Official and Serious. Also, Nadler will give a panel of Trump-hating professors a chance to explain why legal precedence doesn’t matter in Trump’s case, and why it really doesn't matter that the majority party has been unable to supply adequate proof of valid reasons for impeachment.

5 Likes Save    
Carro

mudhouse, if that's what Nadler has planned, it certainly seems like a whole lot of academic self gratification rather than anything of substance.

3 Likes Save    
elvis

So Nadler's crawled out from under his rock.

Welcome, Jerry!

3 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Cipollone also mentions the December 6 (Friday) deadline, and says they'll respond to that deadline separately.

For the Friday deadline, Nadler is asking whether the Administration plans to participate in additional, unspecified hearings. But Nadler gave no information about the dates of the hearings, what witnesses will be called, what the schedule will be, what the procedures will be, or what rights the committee will afford Trump.

So they don't provide any specifics (because they're making it up as they go) but they demand to know whether or not Trump or his counsel will attend, and they insist the White House needs to specify "the rights the President wishes to exercise at these additional hearings."

Hearings with no set dates, no set witness names, and no set procedures.

You really can't make this stuff up.

5 Likes Save    
elvis

You really can't make this stuff up.

Oh, wait...

4 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Yeah, elvis...maybe I'd better rephrase that...

2 Likes Save    
Delilah66

Perhaps Mr. Nadler wants to know whether he will need to schedule times that trump is available should he and counsel want to participate in which case they will hold those times open for trump.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Trump complained they didn’t have input. Here is his chance and he refuses. His lawyers know he can’t tell the truth. He will never testify. Something both Clinton and Hillary did.

4 Likes Save    
barncatz

The most corrosive bully in the world is not being bullied.

Trump's aim is to dismantle co-equal power and his devotees agree with him.

https://www.salon.com/2019/12/01/impeachment-as-a-struggle-to-save-democracy-from-the-pathological-cult-of-donald-trump/

One of the clearest examples from history of the deliberate dismantling of democracy occurred once Stalin gained control of Eastern Europe at the end of the Second World War. I think there are clear parallels between Stalin’s systematic destruction of the central pillars of democracy there and what is happening under Trump today.

Stalin’s first step was to install puppet leaders across Eastern Europe who would do his bidding — think [William] Barr and [Mike] Pompeo in the U.S. domestic context. Stalin used these proxies to target the rule of law and empower secret police forces tasked with the violent oppression of the regime’s opponents.

Stalin’s second step was the elimination of free and fair elections. Trump has been working on that since before his election in 2016.

Ending freedom of religion and replacing religion with the cult of Stalin was Stalin’s third objective. Again, Trump’s sycophants are working hard to realize this objective in the U.S. Rick Perry, Mike Pompeo and Sarah Sanders have all said that God chose Trump to be president. According to a 2017 survey by the Public Religion Research Institute, close to half (45%) of Republicans agree.

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Thanks, Queen Margo, like others, there comes a time when it is more a blessing, good life lived and grateful for options and being able to care for her, oversee her care, and let her know how much she was loved.

3 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Trump complained they didn’t have input. Here is his chance and he refuses. His lawyers know he can’t tell the truth. He will never testify.

Kathy, so far, the only thing that Nadler is offering is a chance for the White House to sit and listen to law professors talk about the history of impeachment. Listening to the likes of Laurence Tribe (a possible) opine about why Trump should be impeached is not a chance for input.

No witnesses have been named, nobody knows if any will be called, no chance for the White House to call any witnesses of their own, no chance to ask questions of any (nonexistent) witnesses. Wednesday is shaping up to be nothing more than a made for TV event to look like they're Doing Something.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

"no chance for the White House to call any witnesses of their own, no
chance to ask questions of any (nonexistent) witnesses. "

There are two different sets of hearings. As I said up thread I can understand that there really is no purpose in the President being represented Wednesday as it is truly an "academic" exercise defining the Constitutional issues around impeachment.

Next weeks are different and it is my understanding Trump could call witnesses etc HOWEVER the condition is that he complies with existing subpoenas and he is never going to agree to that even though it apparently would exonerate him. If they had testimony that would actually exonerate Trump they would be there in a heartbeat. Trump knows he won't actually be removed so he can play this to his political advantage . Mind you it is only playing well to his base who are already squarely in the "Trump right or wrong" camp.

Save    
Kathy

TV events are to educate the public. Many are not aware Trump has conceivably broken the law or that he even has to obey laws including the Constitution to which he and his appointees swore an oath. I remember watching both Clinton’s on TV and I don’t see why Trump should be treated any differently.

Save    
Carro

If Trump has broken the law, Nadler won't need any help, like process crimes.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides 6 Kitchens, 6 DIY Updates
Get inspired to give your own kitchen a fresh look with ideas from these affordable, do-it-yourself fixes
Full Story
Life Order Seeds! And 6 More Ways to Make the Most of This Weekend
If the weather has you stuck inside, cozy up with your favorite hot drink and tackle an organizing project or two
Full Story
Gardening Guides 6 Trees You'll Fall For
Don’t put down that spade! Autumn is the perfect time for planting these trees
Full Story