SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_748667255

LVP help...Sweet talker, Calypso Oak, Sutton, or Royal Crest.

Jen B.
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi! We are planning to install LVP throughout our new home. I'm looking for a natural oak but want something warm and not too busy. I want to see some knots and a little variation to give a more realistic look. Online I love the look of Flooret Sutton, Coretec Calypso Oak, Coretec Cairo Oak, and Provenza Sweet Talker. We have a sample of Provenza Royal Crest and it looks beautiful but I haven't been able to see any pictures of it installed and worry it's too busy looking. I thought Calypso Oak was the one but it looks really light in our house. If anyone has pictures or suggestions of similar colors to look at, it would be greatly appreciated!! I need to make a choice asap! Also, I have 2 toddlers so it's hard going back and forth for samples so any pictures or feedback from people that have seen the ones I'm interested in would be great!!
Below is my original inspo pic but I'm not sure if I should do something a little lighter and/or less busy because we don't have a lot of natural light in our house.

Comments (102)

• jenwinston73
    4 years ago

@Jennifer Stephen - there is much less variation between the planks with Calypso Oak. But there is still a little variation so that it looks realistic. My husband didn’t care for the dark pieces in Provenza Sweet Talker, so that is why Calypso was a better choice for us. We haven’t installed it yet but we just put in the order and should be installing it sometime this month.

• jenwinston73
    4 years ago

@Dominick - my contractor ordered it through his flooring guy. I’m not sure if he gets a special contractors rate but I think it was 3.54 per sf

• Jen B.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@jenwinston73 Thank you so much for posting those photos! Now I'm loving Calypso again haha. This is so tough...and such an expensive decision. It took me a year to convince my husband to change the floors so I don't want to make the wrong choice. I'm going to see if I can order some long sample boards because all the stores are out of the Calypso board. Makes sense since it's so popular. Congrats on making a choice! I can't wait to see how it looks! It's so frustrating that the floors don't photograph the way they look in person. I think Sweet is very close in color but with a bit of a yellow/green undertone (which may clash with our gray backsplash). We purchased our home, a month before have our 2nd child, because it was move-in ready but now I'm like "maybe we should just change the backsplash too" ha. PS. Happy New Year!

• Jen B.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here's Calypso in the middle with Sweet on either side. The left is the Timeless Luxury style and the right is the Casual Charm style. It's hard using the small samples to compare because the boards vary in color and pattern so I'm not sure if these small pieces are the best representation. However, if anyone else is interested in the same samples maybe this will help a little.

• jenwinston73
    4 years ago

@Jen B - Happy New Year! When I zoom in on the photo of the 3 sample pieces, I can see the green undertones on Sweet. It might be the dark grey background. I kept running into this issue with other colors I brought home too. Pink, Green, yellow, orange. What are the undertones in Raven.

• Jen B.
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ravenwood (left) has more of a reddish undertone. In some lighting it looks like a mix of white, red, and brown. I can't get a good idea of what it would look like laid out because it looks so different from the picture online. It's the most neutral color but I don't like the brown swirls.

• jenwinston73
    4 years ago

@Jen B - I see what you are saying. I thinking also putting the 2 colors next to each other, makes the undertones stand out more. I don’t care for the “swirls” either...but I think we are obsessing too much. That’s the main problem! Once installed, you may not notice the swirls. The good news is that, it does not make it look fake...it’s just a different marking. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to walk into a model home that has the colors you are considering, so you can see them in an actual room?! Maybe people should offer to show their home for a small fee...ha. I’d totally pay for that.

• sfmommy01
    4 years ago

Just curious...for those of you who installed Sweet Talker, what
    paint colors have you used in your home? I've got paralysis by analysis again! Thanks in advance.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

I learned something years ago from an amazing color expert. Learned a lot from her, but the best lesson of all was to take samples of the colors I am considering and take them outside on a clear day around 2:00 pm. Whatever is hiding in the color sample comes to life.

If your flooring and back splash work together in this lighting they will work together inside your home.

Here is a picture of my color samples for my home - taken outside at about 2:00 pm. (with my dogs help. The neutral paint color on the left looked very close in color to the one next to it in the house, but outside the pink screamed.

Final selections with some of my linens and upholstery colors.

• jenwinston73
    4 years ago

Sfmommy01 - we are going with Calypso which has a very similar tone as Sweet Talker. The paint we have chosen is SW Pure White.

• sfmommy01
    4 years ago

Jenwinston73, are you going with white through the whole house? I ask because I considered doing that through the main rooms as we have an open concept living room , kitchen etc. (using BM Simply White). I have super high ceilings in the living room and I'm afraid it might look too stark or bright. I do love Sweet Talker with the white though.

• jenwinston73
    4 years ago

Sfmommy01 - yes we have decided to go with white throughout the house with the exception of my sons room and the master bath. We do not have high ceilings so we want it to look more open and bright. Certain whites are more stark than others. You can go with a warmer tone. I think SW Pure White is very neutral. It’s not too warm and not too cool. It does have a slight grey to it, but still manages to be warm enough.

My inspiration came from this instagram. She used calypso oak floor and SW Pure White walls.

https://instagram.com/halfway_wholeistic?igshid=gi772jyrzq4g

• merriebeth437
    4 years ago

Just to confuse all of you, have you seen Noble Oak by COREtec? It’s a light beautiful neutral with light knitting and low variation between planks, and they are the wider planks in the 72” length.

• merriebeth437
    4 years ago

Not the best screenshot, but I have a sample at home and it’s really lovely. It’s a super thick construction plank, too.

• jenwinston73
    4 years ago

Merriebeth437 Yes, that was one we looked at too. I’ve seen beautiful photos of that and I like the width/length of the planks. But when we brought it home we noticed a green tint in our lighting (if I’m remembering correctly). Have you noticed that?

• David Phaneuf
    4 years ago

Same boards ( sweet talker) in two different rooms. First in dining room light and second under fluorescent.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

David, Do you have 2700 K lighting in your dining room? Most people are going with closer to 4000 k. I use 5000 k.

• David Phaneuf
    4 years ago

I have no idea what the lighting is. It was on a dimmer and was at night. I just thought it was interesting to see how different the product looked. It is no wonder many of us have trouble choosing a floor based on pictures. I like this product more under low light versus the kitchen where it is starting to look too blonde for me.

• Cindy Cripe
    4 years ago

anyone have pics after installing either coretec ravenwood, sweet in timeless luxury, or calypso oak? hard to find more than just pics of sample boards...

• kristip509
    3 years ago

Has anyone tried to match stair treads to Calypso Oak? Not sure to use birch or white oak...

• jenwinston73
    3 years ago

Coretec makes Calypso Oak stair treads. So we plan on using that.

• Hope Delgado
    3 years ago

Here is a picture of noble oak & calypso next to each other with my rustic red oak flooring in background. I seriously have so many samples & im still having a hard time deciding lol.

• Hope Delgado
    3 years ago

Here’s Mohawk Perfect Haven affogato & Mohawk True Vision sandstorm in case anyone is interested.

• merriebeth437
    3 years ago

Hey Jen B, did you ever decide?? I’m thinking that sweet may be more what I am looking for...I just have to find someone that carries that line here.

• G O
    3 years ago

curious for pics too... :)

• bfloethe
    3 years ago

Here’s some pics of Coretec Calypso Oak during installation. Natural daylight only. Also shows the coordinating stair nose.

• jenwinston73
    3 years ago

Looks great!

• David Phaneuf
    3 years ago

The dogs and I are very happy with the Provenza Soft Whisper we installed

• Desiree B
    3 years ago

For everyone who has installed Calypso oak, how is it wearing? Are you seeing scratches and such? ... I have decided on Calypso but we haven’t pulled the trigger yet. It took so long to get my husband on board that now I’m scared that it’ll show scratches- 4 kids, 2 dogs, and a husband.

• nlubejko
    3 years ago

I am also considering Calypso, same situation multiple kids (toddlers), dogs and yes the husband who is the worst of the rule followers ;-) But we have an older lake home and I think these will definitely brighten it up and give that natural feel while also being timeless. Any more recent pics or decisions?

• HU-105125238
    3 years ago

Does the Calypso Oak have beveled edges? I like the look but do not like the clean up between the boards. Any one have issues with this? Also, as the above, have 2 kids, dog and husband (who does not like to see scratches/dents) ... interested in how its working out for those who have installed it.

• Lauryn MM
    3 years ago

Here is provenza sweet talker in our recently updated kitchen. Very happy with how it turned out! The variation is much starker in photos than real life.

• Lindsay
    3 years ago

This thread is awesome! Does anyone have any photos of Calypso or Ravenswood installed? Thank you!

• H
    3 years ago

I would love to see Ravenswood installed as well!

• Abhinaya Koduri
    2 years ago

This thread is so helpful! We just bought our first home in the San Jose, CA area. It would be really helpful if anyone who bought Coretec Cairo/ Calypso could tell us where they got it from/ shopped around for the best pricing. @Jennifer Hogan thanks for the insights into pricing and white paint!

• Karen Shudes
    2 years ago

Can anyone show me photos of calypso oak installed on stairs? Debating between flushed stair nose or stair tread option.

• Sanya Sanich
    2 years ago

@Abhinaya same here but in southern CA. Please, Did you end up buying it and how long did it take to get it?

• Karen Shudes
    2 years ago

I live in Denver, CO and bought it at Carpet Exchange for $3.69 a sqft.

• Sanya Sanich
    2 years ago

That’s great Karen! Nothing in southern CA, everything back order until early July.

• Karen Shudes
    2 years ago

All the accessories (stair nose, t moldings, quarter rounds, etc.,.) are on back order until September!

• Sanya Sanich
    2 years ago

Karen - I just canceled my projected dir to no material. So over this… Will have to live with the carpet for a while 🥴

• Karen Shudes
    2 years ago

It is very frustrating. I am sorry you had to cancel your order. They had the flooring in stock at their warehouse, but was never informed that the accessories would take so long. I was so looking forward to my stair project and removing the carpet, but I will have to wait until Sept for the flushed stair noses. Can’t do the stairs without them.

• Sanya Sanich
    2 years ago

Oh no 🙈 I am so sorry Karen! I am
    Trying to just move on now and focus on the move and work on liking the carpet until i can do the floor… no way around it 🤷🏻‍♀️

• JD
    2 years ago

Here is the Ravenswood installed. You can see more on our Instagram account. It sometimes pull pink and sometimes gray, but it's a nice saturation. Not too light, not too dark. I don't love the bevel and how wide/long they are, but they are very wonderful overall. We have lots of green trees around the house to counteract the pink in the floors, so they look pretty natural in our house. The one downside of the Ravenswood is that is does seem to change color a lot based on natural and artificial lighting, so I would suggest getting some long planks of it before you buy.

• Vineetha Hegde
    2 years ago

If anyone is looking to get a sample box of Calypso oak let me know. I have 3 extra boxes left over from our flooring install.

• susan stringfellow
    2 years ago

I would be inerested. Where are you located?

• Vineetha Hegde
    2 years ago

Hi Susan, I live in IL.

• nolegalmoves
    2 years ago

3.69 a sqft?? i m only seeing around 7.2 online.

• LadyDIY
    last year

I was told Coretec raised prices in late June. I ordered just before and bought Calypso for $5.09 for 420ft from Riverswood Flooring in Ft Wayne IN. Seems several Houzzers have ordered from them; I’d also check Green Flooring Supply in OR

• E B
    last year
    last modified: last year

@LadyDIY Efloors quoted me $4.29 for Calypso with no sales tax and free shipping.