Viaduct? Duck Soup?

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

Viaduct ? & Duck Soup?

Not talking about The Marx Brothers, The well known old-time vaudevillians.

Why a duck? Because no one likes turkey for Thanksgiving!

Got a Three-Buck-Duck. Duck at $3.00 a lb is expensive compared to $0.39 a lb for turkey. I prepared the duck Peking style because that’s what everyone wanted.

Peking duck is traditionally served on a steamed bun, like a sandwich. Just to be different, I used Italian bread for the duck meat duckwiches with Hoisin sauce, and the anothers with Bazlama bread with shattering crispy duck skin. Both sandwiches come with the very last indoor ripened garden tomatoes.

What happened to the duck bones? Duck soup with potato dumplings.

Speaking of three-buck-duck, a bottle of champagne cuvee dom perignon 1980 was served, way above Three Buck-Chuck.

It was a Happy Thanksgiving meal.

dcarch

SaveComment24Like8
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ediej1209 AL Zn 7(5 N Central OH)

Looks wonderful! So how do you make Peking Duck? Also, what variety is your green tomato? In years past, we've grown Aunt Ruby's German Green and liked it pretty well.

Save    
John Liu

dcarch, that looks tremendous!

Save    
Islay Corbel

Lovely!

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

So lovely!

Save    
Michele

That’s something else!!!

Save    
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Just beautiful. I have to admit, I've never cooked a duck. Or, a goose. DH has never been interested in hunting waterfowl and the price at the grocery store has overcome my curiosity and interest _ I haven't been curious enough to test my skills in the kitchen. Where in the world did you get lovely looking tomatoes this time of year....

Save    
foodonastump

Anything but traditional but what an appropriate way to celebrate the end of your summer harvest!

How was the champagne? I’ve not had luck aging it, and 1980 is pretty old! Years ago my sister’s boyfriend gave my parents a bottle. I asked what it was and my clueless father said, “a bottle of Moët.” I took a look and saw it was a bottle of Dom. After explaining it was probably better suited to enjoy on an “occasion” than make mimosas, it sat in their cellar for years. And years. Finally an occasion came up, but the bottle was dead. But yeah, even saving New Years leftover bottles for next year has been iffy for me.

Save    
Solsthumper

The fall colors incorporated into your dish look fresh and delicious!!

And I'd like you to know that multiple exclamation points is about as excited as I get☺ Often reserved for my kids' accomplishments, an official engagement to Idris Elba (yes, I know he's already married), or an invitation as your dinner guest . . . with free Dom Pérignon.

I mostly drink on special occasions, but even I couldn't be that militant of a bottle of fine champagne for 4 decades. But then, I never thought I'd live this long.

Sol

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Mmm - I love duck!

Save    
Fun2BHere

Beautiful photographs!

Save    
glenda_al

Beautiful as well as delicious looking!

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)(5a NY)

I'll be the bruised ribcage, ouch.

"Because no one likes turkey for Thanksgiving!"

Really ?...where are you from.

Three slices of deli bread with duck breast?. Would not like a sandwich for Thanksgiving. Or a duck skin sandwich. No love for that at all.

Not at all traditional...I've had Peking duck many times for lunch/brunch...always a pancake thin... sometimes a 'pork bun'.

A pancake is traditional. Not Italian bread.

That is a gorgeous maybe lunch soup iffy dish, but not in my house, lol. For Thanksgiving.?...Not my friends.

Really, I don't get the anti-turkey thanksgiving. Did it in 2014 with two ducks rotisreie. We like our traditions. Eastern shore grandmas native Indian sides ...

Not for me, us, or any of my friends.

'

Save    
annie1992

Beautiful tomatoes, dcarch. I also like duck very much, but my family would revolt if I gave them duck sandwiches for Thanksgiving, LOL. Thankfully, I also like turkey a lot, although mine comes from a local farm and is closer to the duck cost than the supermarket turkey cost.

I don't eat poultry skin but others in my family are happy to eat my share, so that works out well for all of us.

Happy Thanksgiving, no matter what you choose to eat!

Annie

Save    

First, let me thank you all for your kind comments. I appreciate them very much.

"No one likes turkey" - I meant those who came to my house for dinner. Sure you can make good tasting turkey, but I have noticed that I seldom see fine restaurants have turkey on their menu. Ducks? all the time.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7 , the most important thing about making Peking duck is to detach the skin. I use an air compressor to do that.

"---- Where in the world did you get lovely looking tomatoes this time of year.... ---"

From my garden. I have a special setup for my tomato patch. The moment a frost is forecast, I can very quickly turn the patch into a cold frame/hoop house, allowing an extra month or two for the remaining tomatoes to get ripe.

"--- How was the champagne? I’ve not had luck aging it, and 1980 is pretty old! --"

It was very good, but not perfect. champagne corked should not be aged that long. Cork is leaky, so there was not much bubbles. I guess people do like well aged champagne, that bottle is now prices from $400 to $700. It was a gift. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for bubbly beverage.

dcarch

2 Likes Save    
bbstx

Looks lovely, dcarch! Your cooking methods often intrigue me, such as detaching the skin with an air compressor.

Save    

It was fun and effective.

Here is a video of me doing the duck.

dcarch

Save    
foodonastump

but I have noticed that I seldom see fine restaurants have turkey on their menu

Interesting observation. I’m not convincing myself why, with any of the explanations I’m coming up with.

Save    
westsider40

Its gorgeous!! How special!

Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

Happy cooking!

While I adore duck, I also really love turkey. Guess I'm insane? Wait, I am. So there is that.

Save    
jemdandy

Duck soup! Did you have quackers with that?

4 Likes Save    

Jemdandy, you are a wise quacker. LOL

dcarch

1 Like Save    
bbstx

That video is amazing!

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio(6)

dcarch, if you do happen to have a good recipe for duck soup, please share! I have a nice carcass waiting to be turned into soup.

Save    

"-- dcarch, if you do happen to have a good recipe for duck soup, please share! I have a nice carcass waiting to be turned into soup. "

Ha! Duck soup recipe? according to Groucho Marx, "Take two turkeys, one goose, four cabbages, but no duck, and mix them together. After one taste, you'll duck soup for the rest of your life." Sounds like he didn't like turkey either.

I cook like the Marx Brothers do comedy, unconventional, nontraditional and follow no rules. I modify every recipe I come across. Here was the one I adapted and performed surgery on:

https://honest-food.net/smoked-duck-soup/

I do feel that using Peking duck instead of smoked duck significantly made the soup more tasty.

dcarch

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Homes Around the World World of Design: Favorite Recipes From Food Lovers Around the Globe
By Houzz
Travel with your tastebuds and experience for yourself these international foodies' favorite dishes
Full Story
Fall Gardening Join Us for a Parade of Pumpkins
Fall eye candy: Get to know 9 winter squash varieties, including Long Island Cheese and Blue Hubbard
Full Story
Houzz Call Show Us Your Thanksgiving Fails
On some holidays you are just thankful when it’s over
Full Story
We are the premier manufacturer of stairs & rails in Northern Virginia & the DC Metro. Since 1976 Century Stair... Read More
Our business thrives on bringing smiles to our customer’s faces and adding property value to their homes. We are... Read More