SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anomoley

Wall plate displays

anomoley
4 years ago

Are they really THAT bad and terribly outdated?

I like textured art, and am a big fan of traditional art in general. I enjoy the look of wall plate displays, but lately keep hearing that they belong on the walls of our grandparents' homes.

To me, they look timeless... not "old." Am I the only one?

Either way, I do intend to put together a plate display for two walls in our kitchen. I'm attaching photos of said kitchen and two options for plate theme. Would love any thoughts. :)

PS: I realize our kitchen isn't in everyone's style, but we LOVE it.

PPS: If you hate both of my plate display ideas, but don't mind the idea of displaying plates on a wall in general, I'd love to hear or see your favorite ideas.

Thanks in advance. :)

Kitchen photos...

Here to the right of the table is where one of the displays would go (the other would go on the wall opposite the table, the wall against which I stood to snap this pic):

Here's a better picture of that wall by the table (obviously all decorated for the holidays now, and worse quality snapshot, but better idea of width and size of wall)...

Now, the two basic plate display themes from which I'm choosing...

1. Russian fairy tale collector's plates. There are a dozen in the series and they're about 8-9" across. Hand painted, and since hubby and I are both of this background and are familiar with all these stories, they are meaningful and represent happy memories to us. We also like how the black background and the gold tones work with the colors of the kitchen.

2. English blue transferware plates and/or platters. No real attachment here other than the fact that I like blue and transfarware, and have some blue Spode pieces I love displayed in the glass cabinets already (which would tie it all in). Something to this effect...

Comments (33)

• anomoley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your input, jmm1837; I couldn't agree more - individuality is vastly better than word art and generic prints! HAS to be, right?! And I think my biggest issue is getting too matchy and overwhelming with the same idea or pattern over and over, this is what I always try to avoid - so definitely something to keep in mind. Wonder if I could find some other interesting items to throw in with the Russian plates for added interest. I like this, will keep thinking on it - thanks again! :)

• Related Discussions

Wall Display with Plates

Q

Comments (18)
    This might seem like unnecessary work, but it helped me when hanging my plates. Trace the plates onto some brown craft paper,( I used brown packaging paper)and use that as a template. I placed a small piece of scotchtape to the back and played around with the arrangement on the wall until I was satisfied. Hang the nail right through the paper. Once all the nails are in place, rip the paper away one by one as you hang them!
    ...See More

displaying plates

Q

Comments (10)
    I really like the plate in the picture you posted. What is the plate's diameter? If you could take a picture of a mock up (on the floor or on a table) of your mirror with the plates around it, that would help us visualize how they look together. To me, it would depend on the size of the mirror and the size of the plates and how they relate together. Also, take a picture of the wall space where you are thinking of displaying them. A photo of paper mock ups taped onto the wall space would help in visualizing this, too.
    ...See More

looking for sources for plate displays

Q

Comments (4)
    Sometimes you can have ridges added to the shelf that will support the plates. Our china cabinet (circa 1958) has ridges to support the plates and platters.
    ...See More

Hanging Plates

Q

Comments (25)
    Taliaferro - those plates are awesome. That's what I really want to do - hang REAL plates on the wall. I guess I just have to patiently start collecting. Patience is not my strong suit. ; 0. Alexa, that's a great idea, and very sweet of you. I'm not sure I want to paint anything on the walls but I could paint that design o something. I love architectural prints and prints of chandeliers and furniture. Maybe I'll create some new china pieces in that pattern, but on paper. I looked though the DR Eye Candy in the gallery last night and got some ideas for wall decor. As I was looking I remembered the 7/8s rule about filling the wall. That's why my art looks so lonely. I will definitely start looking for some friends for it. Thanks so much to everyone for your help. This forum rocks!
    ...See More
  • anomoley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thought I'd throw in this photo of the family room, which is entirely open to the kitchen, for better idea of the overall color scheme and also style of my home. Being that it is mostly traditional, I think they'll be right at home.

• bev evans
    4 years ago

I LOVE YOUR STYLE AND DECOR - IT'S BEAUTIFUL. THIS IS NOT A COMMENT BUT A QUESTION. WHAT IS THE PAINT COLOR AND BRAND OF PAINT ON YOUR KITCHEN CABINETS. IT IS HARD WHEN IT COMES TO KITCHEN WHITES THERE ARE DOZEN OF WHITES AND I DO NOT LIKE THE BRIGHT SHINY WHITE.. IF YOU KNOW, I'D APPRECIATE IT. THANKS beverlybje@aol.com

anomoley thanked bev evans
  • Olychick
    4 years ago

I remember your lovely family room from a few years ago! While I don't have strong opinions about plates on walls (except that I think they are weird in bedrooms), I was wondering if you've tried some of the Russian Fairy Tale plates displayed on your shelves next to the fireplace? The dark rich colors might bring some of the dark accents found in your kitchen into that space, along with your coffee table.

anomoley thanked Olychick
  • jmm1837
    4 years ago

Yes to the above - spead them around a bit.

anomoley thanked jmm1837
  • arcy_gw
    4 years ago

LOL this is an ongoing issue among my family. Plates are for sure an old fashioned decor item. My MIL had several sets...her oldest was most negative about them so of course we would find them at sales and send them to him.....Your Russian set is too fabulous not to display. I discovered they are an inexpensive way to collect the art of certain artists. To each his own!!

anomoley thanked arcy_gw
  • Steph H
    4 years ago

I think either of those would look great. I agree about not having too many in a grouping. Your home looks beautiful decorated for Christmas.

anomoley thanked Steph H
  • ctlane
    4 years ago

I would say the wall by the table is too narrow for a plate display. You haven't shown the other wall so can't say for sure. I like Olychicks idea to use the shelves in your beautiful living room for the Russian plates.

anomoley thanked ctlane
  • Pam A
    4 years ago

I like the Russian plates. I think I would want to see them somewhere I could walk right up to them to see the details (as opposed to being behind a sofa or other large furniture). In the kitchen table area there seems to be a wall that could support 4 of them (2×2). I am thinking of the wall to the right of the table, before the railing. It gets good light from the windows (plates are lightfast, yes?).

anomoley thanked Pam A
  • User
    4 years ago

Plates on the walls may be "dated" or "un-trendy" but it's your house and if it's not for sale, put on the wall what you want and love. I would rather see a display of your Russian plates than some art you picked up at Hobby Lobby or Home Goods and I would rather see your Russian plates on the way than those big "pictures" of words and sayings.

anomoley thanked User
  • mle0782
    4 years ago

Personally, I think houses should look like the people who live in them and have a history and a soul. In my opinion, nothing is less appealing than going into someone’s house that looks just like everyone else’s with the same generic decorative accents. Go to the library and check out some of the print shelter magazines. You will find interiors that are vastly different from some websites that are appealing to the masses. One of my favorite websites is Incollect.com—it is a high end market website that also has oodles of portfolio pics from top interior designers. The interiors are traditional, modern and everything in between. The one common thread is that every room is unique and very much curated to reflect the client. It is your house, do what you prefer and enjoy!

anomoley thanked mle0782
  • apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

The plates have character. Since you have 12 Russian plates, you could also use an easel type holder near the kitchen sink to display a different plate every month (in addition to your planned display wall). Some folk tales may be seasonal.

anomoley thanked apple_pie_order
  • Marsha Lorentzen
    4 years ago

I really like plate wall displays, but your open shelves and glass door cabinets are enough "display" for me. I am afraid adding anything else to the table area is going to make things much too busy. Leave some empty wall space. I would like to see the wall you want to use for the fairy tale plates.

anomoley thanked Marsha Lorentzen
  • Peppapoodle
    4 years ago

I think the Russian plates would look wonderful framed- kind of a shadow box framing with cream & black frames. Then hung in a grid on a wall- somewhere they can be appreciated.

The small wall in the kitchen gives some “blank space” that is needed there. And I’m horrible at “blank space” in my own home!

Maybe something like this.....Amazon

anomoley thanked Peppapoodle
  • M Miller
    4 years ago

I myself am not a fan. Not because of the aesthetics, but because I had to clean out my MIL’s home, and dispose of the contents. She had really a lot of display plates. No one wanted to buy them, but I even had trouble giving them to charity because they were full up on plates, whether dinnerware or decorative. I ended up putting the plates on Craig’s List for free, and someone else is happy with them now.

anomoley thanked M Miller
  • anomoley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much for your feedback so far, everyone! :)

I will take photos of the two walls in question, with paper cutouts the size of the plates against them - this will give a good idea of how they'd look on the two walls. Stay tuned!

bev evans: We painted the kitchen ourselves a few years ago, and it took many months to do it right... but it's held up beautifully without a single issue over these years, and the color hasn't yellowed or done anything else unexpected! We used General Finishes Antique White Milk Paint. Good luck with your project!

Olychick: Thanks so much for your thoughts and for remembering our space, too! :) I like the idea of scattering the plates throughout the place and will definitely try them on those shelves by the fireplace! :)

Pam A: Yes, the plates are lightfast, and that's one of the walls I was considering! Will post photos once I get some paper cutouts on there to give a better idea of how they'll fit on that wall, and on the other one as well.

mle0782: Thanks for sharing that website; very cool and I can't wait to do more browsing there. I don't think that what appeals to the masses has ever done much appealing to me, with my traditional tastes. I just don't want to make our home look like it's old and stale... always trying to find that balance between tradition and elegance... timelessness. :)

Thanks again, everyone; will update soon!

• anomoley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Peppapoodle: I always struggle with that; it's an eternal need to cover every inch of every wall... lol. This is why I need help! I like your shadow box idea, that may work well and not something I considered!

M Miller: I know exactly what you mean; hubby and I had to go through his uncle's home after the uncle's passing, and no one wanted any of his belongings. We couldn't get anyone to buy them, and ultimately ended up donating the entire estate as one whole to a local charity. It's a little sad to think that no one will want the items we may hold dear... but that applies to every single thing we own, being that we don't have kids and won't have any. I've made peace with the fact that everything we have will be state owned and trashed at some point... but that doesn't mean I shouldn't enjoy it while I'm here. :)

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

Looks to me like you're ahead of your time. This looks like what they're calling "grandmillenial" style, and it's quite in, apparently.

https://www.housebeautiful.com/lifestyle/a28594040/grandmillennial-design/

• megs1030
    4 years ago

LOVE the Russian plates because they have meaning to you and your spouse. I like the idea of putting them in black framed shadow boxes. Or I'd come up with something other than a grid pattern to display them artfully... lots of ideas on Pinterest.

• anomoley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kristin S... that made me actually laugh out loud... lol! It really is true, everything old is eventually new again!

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

Indeed. Plates on walls even made the cover of Country Living a couple months ago. :-)

I like your plates. Display them. Although I think maybe the Russian plates go best in the kitchen and the transferware in the living room, just because of the colors. Unless you want to go hunt up some red transferware!

anomoley thanked Holly Stockley
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Plates on walls are classic. Classic things can be done well or poorly. You are giving great thought to how to to display your plates. They will look wonderful. I am sorry I don't have any useful suggestions for you beyond my encouragement.

anomoley thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

It's all how you display the plates. BTW the bay would look so much better with a round table and 4 chairs instead of the oversized rectangular table and rug.

• chiflipper
    4 years ago

IMO your Russian plates are enchanting. Wherever you decide to place them make sure the viewer can enjoy their details.

anomoley thanked chiflipper
  • jhmarie
    4 years ago
    anomoley thanked jhmarie
  • hollybar
    4 years ago

If you want to present the plates in a more contemporary style, hang them closer and with more movement than expected,as in many of the pics above. When my daughter was young, I used Villeroy & Boch Russian fairytale plates in her bedroom, arranged in a more old school linear fashion.(I think it was 3 rows of 4) They looked great like that,too. Enjoy!

anomoley thanked hollybar
  • grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

I have plates on the walls in two homes, I love the look, and I am a grandma! :)

• anomoley
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Holly Stockley: Wow, I had no idea! And I love those blue transfareware plates; glad you shared - making me want to go that route since I already have some pieces (maybe add some red into the mix to predict it from being too predictable... hmmmm).

Zalco/bring back Sophie!: Well, I was primarily looking for encouragement... so thanks! :)

BeverlyFLADeziner: Love the photos and love the idea of layering the plates. Wonder how that's done... will have to look into it. Also agree with you about the table, this was brought in last minute and we never meant to keep it longterm. I do love the rug there, though. Would you do away with it altogether? Or replace it with a round/oval rug? Thanks!

jhmarie: Your kitchen is lovely! So warm and inviting, and has that timeless feel I always love. Thanks for sharing! :)

hollybar: I agree, I think I may like them with more movement as in those photos... I even like that layered effect. Will try to figure out how that's done and may just do it that way, very cool looking! :)

• bpath
    4 years ago

Notice how in Beverly’s pictures, the plates are against a strong color. I think that helps them have some oomph and cohesiveness. I have a collection of blue Danish plates, and I’d love to have them on a blue-grey wall.

anomoley thanked bpath
  • Fori
    4 years ago

Plates are great--especially ones that have meaning for you--but PLEASE secure them really well, especially close to the table like that.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

You have such an obvious distinctive (and wonderful) taste that i must say you will be the best judge of what works....but there have been some interesting suggestions to consider and develop a little more toward your taste...also (think you know this) i wouldn’t listen to suggestions that you have to much clutter...in my opinion you have completely avoided the “grandma” effect...while creating a delight for the eyes...

• Fori
    4 years ago

I wish I had half the style my grandma had.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio