What's for Dinner #374

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Not dinner yet but it is pretty.

SaveComment29Like2
Comments (29)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neely

Looking wonderful already. I’m excited for you all to have this occasion to celebrate with food.

Save    

Wasn't sure how it would post. (photo issues). It is the one time of year we get massive fall harvest veg locally or west coast, southern states, etc. I still have a bowl of cherry tomatoes and squashes in the garage...no real cold temps yet. Well, lots of frosts, but around 60 last night on my way home close to midnight. Collards, kale, escarole and a few others still in fridge. Gave everything a good wash to start planning.

New this season is purple brussel sprouts. Good guess is they taste the same.

We postponed our thanksgiving to tomorrow. Way to busy with work to pull it off today. Much better to have a day off to enjoy the prep/cooking.

Made a quick egg frittata for breakfast...

Save    

I just made 3 cranberry sauces. Mama Sandberg, Korean, and bourbon. Just can't make one. All are great.

Save    
annie1992

Oh, sleevendog, that first picture is just beautiful, and makes me miss my garden already. It has been cold here, it was snowing again today, even the kale is done. I still have rosemary, sage and curry growing right next to the house, though, and they still seem happy, so I have some fresh green things still hanging on.

I made cranberry sauce today too, but only two kinds. One was cranberry/raspberry, my Mother's favorite and the other was LindaC's Cranberry Jezebel, with horseradish, it's amazing with turkey. Cranberries were on sale for $1 per 12 ounce bag, so I bought half a dozen bags and froze them for later.

Meanwhile, it was Thanksgiving but our big meal won't be until Saturday. Elery bought shrimp and we had shrimp cocktail, we both love it. My neighbor across the street is Polish, she's the chef at the Bed and Breakfast, and she gave me some locally made Baltic Farmer's Cheese. We often talk food and swap recipes, so she told me to make Lazy Pierogi, and told me how. Onions, mushrooms, a tablespoon of butter, saute all that, stir in a quart of sauerkraut, heat through, add cooked noodles, crumble the cheese on top. So, I did that, and it wasn't pretty, but it was a nice change, I haven't made pasta or noodles in way over a year. Elery had two helpings, LOL.

Then I made this caramel nut tart for dessert:

We each had a small piece, so not a total diet disaster, but there's still Saturday, LOL.

Annie

Save    

Ah darn, should have pic'd the stuffing/dressing fiasco. Do we make something in the USA that is unfamiliar to those elsewhere. ( ? ). We only make stuffing/dressing once a year. (half went into a freezer bag is for xmas) not making that again ! and not anytime all year...Not really complicated but not on the usual food plan. We like gravy fine but just once/twice a year...

(I froze a 1/4 pint for NewYears) and may toss it eventually like most years.

Our American Thanksgiving is always on a Thursday. 4 days off work is rare. (obviously some need to work the holiday shift) but fore the most of us it is a family event.

Turkey goes in the oven at one.

Made a NYTimes recipe for lemony brussel sprout slaw. Added a rib of the purple cabbage, (look at that color reveal inside !)

Save    

Pie looks amazing. Just saw that. Making chocolate bourbon pecan soon and baking the stuffing/dressing...

Save    
Jasdip

Annie, that pie looks out of this world!!!

Great eating, as always, Sleeve.

I've often wondered if most, if not all people take the Friday off as well. It seems that all I hear is Thanksgiving being a long weekend.

Save    

We always have the 4 day weekend as most co-workers travel being from everywhere. Most on flights wed night or Thursday morning.

Really nice meal. Perfect gravy and biscuits DH made...cragly but flaky. Gorgeous 10lb bird. Dressing/stuffing always the star.

Save    

New pecan pie recipe. (need to find and save/print). Maple syrup /brown sugar warmed, separate roux, flour/butter, then added to the maple. Let cool down then add two eggs. No need for karo.

Save    

Turkey hash breakfast, turkey slider brunch. Turkey stock with meat and white beans for the freezer. Enough turkey scent in the home.

Mom would have soup tonight but we will pass and freeze it.

Save    
Jasdip

I roasted a chicken last weekend, just because of all the TG posts and I got the urge. I used the leftovers in quesadillas, chicken salad ( I put curry in it, so good!). I made chicken salad twice, the first time was in a pita, the next was to have with crackers and cheese. I wish I made a turkey as I enjoyed the leftovers so much, and they're gone.

Tonite was a new recipe. Glazed chicken breasts (soy sauce, honey and yellow mustard) I was expecting dijon, but it called for yellow so that's what I used; a Cook's Country recipe.

The rice is a mix of basmati and orange lentils. I used half lentils and half pearl barley. It's quite good. Sauteed onions and garlic, rice and lentils, with cumin, turmeric and ground coriander.

Save    
annie1992

Thanks, sleevendog, the pie was really good and yours looks perfect, I don't like that "goopy" layer in some pecan pies. I like the red cabbage, it's beautiful. I used red cabbage in the salad we had today too, but I didn't take pictures.

Jasdip, most people do take Friday off as well as Thursday, it's "Black Friday" for shopping. I don't do that particular thing, but a lot of people do, plus it gives extra travel time for family members that are trying to get home for the holiday.

We had an ice storm last night so Elery's daughter and son in law are still here until tomorrow morning, they got iced in. it's beautiful, but hopefully the plows will go tomorrow so they can get back home.

I had enough of the turkey/dressing thing, and made some enchiladas from sirloin steak and black beans. I served them with Mexican style brown rice and a cabbage salad.

Annie

Save    
Jasdip

Annie we had an freezing rain today as well. The hydro was out in some areas of town. Finally, some snow. I hate a green December.

Save    

Our first storm today....looks tame but all ice. Snow, sleet. snow..

My 'FU storm' steak salad..

Save    
neely

Oh wow that steak Sleevendog looks delicious.. amazing ice storm Annie.

Savoury mince with mashed potato one night.

Veal Saltimbocca another night. AnnT would not approve of all those carrots. (smile)

Save    
Jasdip

Your potatoes and carrots look fabulous, Neely! Shhh we won't tell AnnT.

I just took a quiche out of the oven. I cooked a ham earlier. I gave some ham to the neighbour, had some as leftovers with mustard, potatoes and carrots. Now it's quiche and there's a chunk in the freezer for toasted westerns, quiche, etc.

Save    

Stunning pic of the savoury mince. Vintage crock. Bubly seltzer...

We will have a ham soon. Mostly seafood over the holiday break but ham for egg dishes...and quiche. I always make soup and small packets 'food saver' for egg dishes. Looks good!.

Only made one small pie last weekend so have crusts made-ahead in the freezer.

City storm pic from work, then home late. Roads are clear. Trees are falling over low from heavy wet snow.

DH had one eye treated, then stopped for some mixed cheeses, olives, pate...simple meal.

My studio sitting garden outside

should be fine.

My Meyer lemon is blooming in the kitchen. Heavenly scent. Two fruits. Lots of bloom.

Save    

New ingredient explained. Those crazy red threads on my foods. : )

I did all the holiday Thanksgiving shopping late one night. (I work horrid long hours)...fine I did it. He stopped at HMart and picked up some ingredients for our obsessive fermentations...

Came home with red pepper threads. Really good and chewy but not so hot, sweet-ish.

You will see it on everything especially salads.

Save    
annie1992

sleevendog, I was wondering about those red threads, they looked much like saffron, but I knew that couldn't be it. I'd love to have a Meyer lemon tree, but I haven't figured that out yet. The steak looks perfect, yum.

Here there is still a lot of heavy snow and trees are still coming down, but it's lovely. Unless, of course, it's your road that's blocked, LOL.

Jasdip, that quiche looks perfect, and I still have ham in the fridge from Saturday, I may have to do that next.

Neely, that mince looks especially good, as well as the potatoes. I also like carrots, LOL, so it would be fine by me.

Elery's daughter left yesterday and we had leftovers for supper last night, so tonight I made chili. It was a nice change. I'm kind of thinking of split pea soup with some of the leftover ham.

Annie

Save    
neely

Jasdip, nice quiche, must make one and Yes put a slice or two in the freezer. DH won’t eat frozen quiche but I will.

Like Annie, I thought saffron ??? can’t be and it wasn’t. How amazing would those threads be if with a little heat.

A combined meal where DS cooked the salmon, I cooked the veg and DDIL made the salad of mixed grains. All put together it was good.

Save    

They do have heat. It is a medium hot pepper, yet a pile of thin threads is maybe 1/8th of a pepper....would stand up in a soup, then slowly meld/melt into soup/liquid as a spice. With heat. The pinch I tasted was a bit chewy, not brittle dry.

Nice collaboration meal. I'v already started my mixed grain salad and most likely salmon tonight. Crisper drawer full of mixed veggies....I had my fill of fries being out of town all week.

Home late with a grocery bag full of TraderJoes including one of their holiday small hams. (DH excited but not for tonight). I want seafood.

Save    

Sesame/Miso crusted Salmon. Over mixed grain and greens. Fetta chunk. Perfect and just what I needed. Grain choice is black caviar lentils, quinoa, brown rice and winter wheat. Some grain leftover for tonights miso soup.

Save    

My Meyer lemon is in intoxicating full bloom. (Not sick sweet like paper white narcissus.)

I would not be jealous Annie, as the stress of killing it the first couple years was overwhelming but I came to terns expecting eminent death, lol. Stopped the worry and pruned for compact shape, dwarf. Accepted any trouble. (killed two fig trees)

If you have winter sun 2-3 hours a day it will survive the winter. Lives outside all summer on the deck. (one winter it was downstairs in the seed project room with just fluorescents). This is its best year so far. Only two winter fruits.

Save    
annie1992

Sleevendog, I've killed two figs too, and I'm convinced that I'd do a Meyer Lemon in in short order. I can grow nearly anything outside, but inside nothing has survived other than my aloe plant. (sigh)

It must be a fish kind of day! Neely, your DDIL's salad looks good, nice and fresh. Sleevendog, Elery would LOVE your hot pepper threads, I'll have to remember that for next year.

Here the weather is weird, as usual. It'll be 44 and rain tomorrow, and then it's a high of 25 on Wednesday. I did make the split pea soup, and we had hamburgers with it for supper:

We didn't have any for supper, but Elery made some venison sausage for the holiday meals, he likes to slice it up and put it out with crackers for snacking:

And I made a birthday cake for Madison's birthday. Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and chocolate filling, then covered with more chocolate, LOL. I couldn't figure out how to get any more sugar in there!

Annie

Save    

lol, love the cake. Would be my dream cake at that age.

Big plans for sausage making over the up-coming holiday break. And lasagna, and tamales, and something for the neighbors and friends besides pokey...maybe the chocolate/nut/dried fruit salami I made a few years ago...an ann_t inspired desert.

So that is a cured sausage? Smoked? Slice and serve...? I need to study that one.

Not purchased a new smoker yet. Takes me forever to research and decide. (go low end and modify or go better then weigh the cost, bla bla). I need it by x-mas, ack.! Leaning towards better/best but no pellets.

Head-Storm soup. We are not sick, just work weary exhausted. With damp cold rain and still snow on the ground...immune systems are weak. A hot mess but delicious. Another tonight with lamb sausage from the freezer.

Save    
Jasdip

It's raining all day today so the snow is gone. I hate this weather in December! I was in Barrie at Tom's brother and SIL on Saturday and they have over a foot of snow. I love it.

This is what happens when I have no idea what I want for dinner. I'm completely at a loss. Sausage, peppers and onions with pasta on the side

Save    
annie1992

Jasdip, it rained all day here too, and it's 45, but tomorrow it'll be 25 and by Wednesday down to zero. The weather doesn't know what to do, I guess. Your dinner looks really good to me, though.

Sleevendog, the sausage is smoked, and that's the high-temperature cheese you see in there, it doesn't melt but stays in chunks. I agree on buying a better smoker, BTW. Elery had an electric one and it eventually quit. I bought him another one and it takes those "pucks", and I can't buy them here, they are expensive and when we're out we have to wait for them to be delivered. It's inconvenient. Elery would really like to turn the front room of the pole barn into a smoke house, I'd go a bit smaller than that, LOL.

Yes, that cake is a child's dream, isn't it? (grin) Your soup sure looks a lot healthier, though, and those pepper "shreds" just look so pretty.

Here I had a baked chicken leg and roasted butternut squash, not worth taking a picture. I have Ashley's dog, Sage, for the next three days while they go out of town, and she's settling in. The cat is very annoyed that Sage has HIS chair, LOL.

Annie

Save    
neely

All yummy meals above. Love that cake Annie. I would be very happy with your meal Jasdip. Love all those meals Sleevendog.

Good old Spaghetti Bol with grated cheddar cheese ‘cause... no Parmesan

Save    

Must be thinking similar Neely. I've not had a pasta 'jones' in months...DH texted he was stopping at the Italian market for ofal and bones for broth. "get some pasta noodles..wide or anything!"

So good. Micro basil.

I wanted the inch wide noodles they have but still good...

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Call Show Us Your Best Kitchen Innovation
Did you take kitchen functionality up a notch this year? We want to see your best solutions for the hardest-working room in the house
Full Story
Kitchen Design Top Kitchen Innovations From the Latest Fairs in Milan
Microkitchens, concealed burners and new oven technologies are some of the surprises for 2018
Full Story