SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcgowan35

If you are replacing a drawer microwave...

chicagoans
4 years ago

I'm posting as an FYI in case anyone else has to replace a MW drawer. The cabinet cavity dimensions in my case weren't the same but luckily I had enough trim around the cavity to make the new one fit. Details:

I had a 30" Sharp drawer MW installed about 10 years ago. I love keeping it off the counter and the functionality of looking down into it (rather than crouching down to see in, or having it in an upper cabinet.) It stopped working about a week ago so I ordered a new one.

I replaced a Sharp 30" with the new model Sharp 30". Since the old one was still in place I couldn't measure the cabinet cavity, so I triple checked with the sales guy on the phone that the cabinet dimensions were the same (I purchased from the same store so he could look up exactly what I had.) He assured me the new one would fit in the existing cavity.

Just an FYI: there is a small rectangular box right behind the control panel on the new model that sticks up higher than the rest of the box. (Didn't measure, but guesstimate about 3/4" high, 1 1/4" deep, 10" wide.) This little box meant that the new MW didn't fit inside the existing cavity.

It turned out fine because my cavity had enough trim on top that the installers were able to cut a notch for the MW to fit. So where the cavity used to look like the mockup on the left, it's now like the one on the right. Once the MW is in place you can't see it.

If you are looking for a built in look, you'd need a bigger cavity. With regular installation (like mine) the MW sits about 5/8" or so proud of the cabinet face. Just an FYI if you are going for a built in look.

Here it is closed:

The control panel (sorry can't seem to rotate the pic):

and open:

Comments (10)