SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_74935721

More square footage or better upgrades?

Crystal H
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Currently picking out upgrades for our new home.

We are trying to decide between:

- adding a 16'1 x 7'10 breakfast nook which would increase the square footage of the house

or

- adding upgrades like a fireplace, stair rails instead of half wall, double vanity, replace carpet with laminate, and most importantly, upping ceiling height from 8' to 9'.

I love the idea and layout of the breakfast nook, but our ceilings would remain at 8'. The dining room without the breakfast nook is 10'9 x 13'10. We would still have that area if we were to add the breakfast nook, but it would have the 8' ceiling. The living room is a 2 story room, so at least one area would have a very open feel with very tall walls. We currently live in a condo with 9' ceiling height and I love it, I don't want to feel enclosed if we go with the 8' ceiling. The breakfast nook also adds extra space to the basement as they will be excavating that area. On the other hand, adding the nook takes away from the yard which is only 25 ft deep (without the nook).

We are super torn here. We can always do upgrades later but I would not want to mess with the structure after we move in. Unfortunately we can't do both breakfast nook and 9' ceilings, it would put us way above our budget, so we have to decide now between the two

Thoughts?

Comments (33)