SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
ktj1224

How do I make this shower more feminine?

ktj1224
2 years ago

Without ripping out the whole shower how can I make this more feminine for my teen daughter? I was thinking a fun shower floor tile, but not sure where to begin or if it will make enough of a difference.

Comments (28)

• mackdolan
    2 years ago

A lace shower curtain. You don’t replace tile in a shower. Anything else requires ripping it out and starting over.

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Add her choice of towels and decor. The shower cannot be taken apart and replaced piece by piece.

If it has a light/fan combination, check the bulb to see if it's the maximum wattage as the fixture is rated to take. More light will change the appearance.

• Related Discussions

How do I make chairs look more deep red?

Q

Comments (1)
    You've talked to Crate & Barrel about the color discrepancy? I know that fabric printing runs can vary slightly, but if it's noticeably off, perhaps the store needs to do something about it?
    ...See More

please help! need to make my studio more feminine

Q

Comments (1)
    Getting rid of the stars will help right off the bat. Not sure what your personality is, but a Japanese theme (think Geisha House) might work with the bamboo. You could possibly put slipcovers on your barstools - you need to incorporate some more fabrics.
    ...See More

How do I make bone-in rib eye steaks more tender?

Q

Comments (20)
    I like my rib eye waved over a very hot grill. My husband will not eat his if there is any pink. His goes on the grill first, seared on one side then the other, then moved to a cool area of the grill. In a few minutes, mine goes on over the coals, flipped over, and then removed to rest. In a minute or two, his is removed and both rest until the plates come out of the cabinet. He seems to like his and mine is never tough. Mine is also rare to medium rare. If it doesn't run away it is fine. ETA: If your rib eye is tough, you have a bad steak. Buy at a different store. I bought rib eyes at a big box store that the name starts with a W when we were camping and they were awful. They tasted like a bad roast.
    ...See More

How do I make this room look more contemporary?

Q

Comments (18)
    Yes, I thought about the curtains too, but I spent so much money on them. Is there a way to make it work with just the chandelier and maybe adding art on walls?
    ...See More
  • ktj1224
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! So even redoing shower floor tile requires redoing wall tile?

• millworkman
    2 years ago

Yes as the entire shower needs to be one tied in together waterproofing system.

• kootenaycapable
    2 years ago

Change the fixtures to something curvy and feminine.

• D M PNW
    2 years ago

Does she want feminine? Ask her what style and colors she wants. I would have hated a rain shower but if she likes it, it is a personal choice.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

Ditto leaving the tile alone, unless you plan to yank the whole shower and begin from scratch.

We can only see what I think is a sliver of the drywall/painted wall. Is there any chance there is something you could do with a gallon of paint in a color pleasing to daughter that would still compliment vanity and shower? (and please note I am not a fan of pink even for very young girls ;0))

• J Williams
    2 years ago

Why on earth does she need a girly shower? What does the rest of the room look like?

• felizlady
    2 years ago

For the ten to twenty minutes she spends in the shower every day, I would concentrate on the rest of the bathroom and not consider changing any tile. Give her fluffy new towels, rugs and accessories in a pink or aqua or silver color. Hang some floral art. Before you know it she will be off to college or married.

• Olychick
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Maybe some fun film or decals on the glass enclosure? Held on by static, no glue or anything permanent.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

nice idea Olychick.

I'm sure she doesn't care about the shower. she's lucky she gets her own. You know what would make her happy? a gift card to Sephora. (at least 90% of the teenage girls I've ever met). I'm sure she take that over pink towels any day.

• Lidia
    2 years ago

Have her go all Japanese garden zen..add plants, great soaps and music, like a spa. What’s more fem than that?!

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

Really need a pic of the whole bath...this seems like an overwhelming challenge to get from where you are ...to teen girl decor...it needs to be more personalized with colors she likes..preferably brighter shades rather than pastels...even stripes of colors on the walls...with rug and towels to coordinate...maybe a colorful shower mat cut onto a fanciful shape...

• jmm1837
    2 years ago

Oh heck. It's a bathroom. Take her shopping, let her choose some towels, a bath mat and a few vanity accessories and call it a day. I'd have loved a shower like that in my teens and it would have been decorated with teal or blue. As it happens, not all girls care for pink and frills - if she does, fine, but let her decide what she wants ( I really have issues with the implicit stereotyping of what is or is not " feminine" that I see all the time on Houzz - just my personal rant - sorry) .

• Valinta
    2 years ago

Save the money for her college fund. If she somedays brings a family or partner home to visit do you think she will want to explain why she needed a girly shower to them?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I think the person to ask is your daughter. I am not in the least a girly girl and would resnt someone trying to make my space girly.

• Steph H
    2 years ago

White tiles would be more neutral, not sure what that would cost to re-do. I agree it looks masculine. Good luck

• altadavey
    2 years ago

I’d let her have fun with towels, rugs, art, and accessories (do a Target run) and call it a day! Having been raised in a family of 8 with one bathroom, I can’t even imagine having my own as a teen!

• Brown Dog
    2 years ago

Does a shower need to be girly? Can't you just add fun coloured towels and bath accessories to the rest of the bathroom? I find this a very odd question....

• Lisa
    2 years ago

My own shower as a teen? Heck, I'm still waiting to have my own shower as a wife!

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    2 years ago

You know what would make her happy? a gift card to Sephora. (at least 90% of the teenage girls I've ever met). I'm sure she take that over pink towels any day.

Funny story...I had a client who built a new house but her almost-adult daughter didn't like the tile used in her en suite bathroom. So the client hired my firm to find new tile. My designer searched for days but the daughter didn't like anything. So we finally suggested to the client that she give her daughter a few hundred dollars if she agrees to keep the original tile and never complain about it. It saved her thousands in design and remodeling costs.

• auntthelma
    2 years ago

Love the lace idea. Pink goes well with brown. So does white, teal or even sunny yellow. Can we see the rest of the room? How old is your daughter? Does she have a favorite color or a hobby or obsession? Horses? Music? The beach? Math? Chess? Sports?

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

I agree with everyone above. She’s a teenager and changing a whole bathroom to please her is ridiculous. Make it a “girlsk day” and go shopping for accessories and maybe a can of paint if she agrees to help. Use the time to bond with her since she’ll be gone in a blink of an eye. The time together is more important than her bathroom.

• seregiel
    2 years ago

Redo tile for her? No. Accessories? Of course. A can of paint? She can help. Lighting and hardware? Can be done if you want to spend the budget. Tally that all up and see if there’s something that costs less that she wants more and save yourself both the stress. It’s an opportunity cost lesson.

Redo tile for you? I’d personally redo the flooring tile to be more cohesive. If the wall tile looked poorly set or I disliked it and was going to update anyways, I’d make an idea book of what I liked and ask my daughter where we intersected in that limited selection. If you’re keeping it as due to budget than save for what the end goal is. If you’re keeping it because you like it than it would be a pain to put it back in a few years.

• Olychick
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I'm unsure why people have to criticize the op's desire to have this room be special for her daughter: it's none of our business. The comments about why it's not possible to tear out tile without redoing the whole shower were informative and helpful. But telling her she's wrong for wanting to change it up for her daughter is pretty rude.

We don't know her financial situation; perhaps she is willing and able to do whatever she'd like without worrying about a college fund, etc. Maybe people have other practical ideas aside from their judgements?

• jmm1837
    2 years ago

OlYchick - I think that was uncalled for. The first set of comments made it clear to the OP that replacing tile compomises waterproofing and therefore means gutting the entire shower. Short of that, what's the next best option? Involve the daughter in the process, and let her own opinions and tastes be the guide. I see nothing judgemental about that.

• Steph H
    2 years ago

I tend to agree with Olychick- the OP might want to do exactly what she stated originally, and if she decides that involves re-doing tile, etc then she absolutely should. It’s the OP’s decision. I don’t think it’s cool to downplay wanting to make some alterations for her daughter. We don’t know their specific situation.