SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurawindham37

stark antelope (antilocarpa) vs prestige mills deerfield

Laura
4 years ago

I am hoping to purchase Prestige Mills instead of Stark. I am at the end of my project and funds are LOW. Stark antelope (Caramel) is perfect for a stair runner. Does anyone know the equivalent colorway for Prestige Mills Deerfield? Also, any idea whether either come in wool? Thank you!

Comments (105)

• Laura
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Agree. I was told that this pattern as a runner required their best installer...and they required that I wait for install until he was available.

• cboyer0237
    3 years ago

This thread is a few months old, however I had to comment on how incredibly helpful this older exchange has been as I am narrowing down my choices to have an antelope print stair runner installed in my home. Thanks to all of the contributors here! And Laura, your stair project is absolutely gorgeous!

Laura thanked cboyer0237
  • Laura
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you. It certainly is sexy!

• Lauren S
    3 years ago

I am interested in installing this same carpet on my stairs, how has it held up for you?

• Laura
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Lauren,

I am sorry for my belated response; dealing with some medical issues. This carpet on my stairs has help up wonderfully (two kids and a dog) BUT it was only installed less than a year ago. So, not really helpful gauge.

• Kim Spence
    3 years ago

Hi Laura,

i hope you are feeling much better. Is the product on your stair install with the dark wood walls that same as the receipt you shared?

Thank you,

kim

• Laura
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes it is.

• Handful
    3 years ago

Hi Ladies! Just thought I’d jump back on with an update and share pics of my final stairs for reference. I went with the Sand through my designer. :-) I absolutely love it. Thanks again!

• Kim Spence
    3 years ago

Your stairs are beautiful! Do you recall total square footage used for the project? I am finalizing my selection and understanding there will be much overage. Several of the more popular Deerfield colorways are now on backorder.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Every carpet mill has back orders. . Prestige, and all the rest as well. Compounding Covid, not enough workers in the mill.... not enough SEMI drivers.....and extreme weather all through the south east.

You get a professional measure, it gets ordered, ,created into custom runner, and you WAIT for the skilled bind and install. There is no other way.

Another persons square footage, or install, has nothing to do with yours : )

• Tiffany
    3 years ago

Hi, all. This thread has been incredibly helpful. Beautiful stairs Laura and Handful!

We have decided to go with Deerfield Caramel (backorder not an issue for us) but I'm getting caught up on our layout and how to proceed. We have multiple levels (our living/kitchen/dining is on the second level, master bedroom on third, and remaining bedrooms and a small open loft area on the top fourth level. So needless to say, it is A LOT of stairs.

I am wondering if it is weird to have this pattern on our set of stairs from the front door up to the living/dining area and then a solid colored carpet (in a corresponding color) for the remainder of the stairs and bedrooms (we are replacing carpet throughout). Is that weird? Or if you do a runner on stairs should you do it on all stairs? We have two dogs so carpet throughout is a must.

Thank you for any insights or recommendations knowing we are looking/loving the Deerfield Caramel pattern!

• Handful
    3 years ago

Thanks @KimSpence Sorry, I don’t recall the amount ordered for mine, but I do know it was like double what’s actually used due to the repeat.

• Diana Amedy
    3 years ago

I am just reading this helpful thread and jumping in for guidance. I am wanting to purchase STARK Antilocarpa Blue for a 9x12 area rug. Are you saying that Prestige Deerfield is the same just cheaper?

• Laura
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yep. Same. Prestige Mills is the mill for Stark.
    Same. Exact. Carpet.

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago

I need to follow this thread now. Those photos are simply beautiful. What a dream! And now I'll follow to see anyone else's adventures with this beautiful carpet.

• Diana Amedy
    3 years ago

Thank you Laura. It was so confusing for me when I see Essentials Deerfield Blue online but have a Stark rug sample which says Antelope Blue. They looked the exact same. I finally found a Stark showroom and they confirmed that you are right Essentials Deerfield is the same as Antelope Blue.

• Laura
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Only difference is the Stark markup.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

THEY ARE both POLYPROPYLENE fiber. Just know you should not plan bare feet on this fiber. Why? You will, more than any nylon product, watch that fiber grab oils from your feet lie a darn magnet, and then dust from THIN AIR. You will struggle to vacuum it off. I DO mean struggle.

The stuff is magnet - it is already an oil based product. While it takes dyes and patterns very well, It will never ever compete with nylon. thus, you are warned.

• Diana Amedy
    3 years ago

Thank you Jan. My questions, if it is such a struggle why does it seem to be used on stairs frequently And appear to be pictured in what would seem to be high traffic area?. I am looking at the navy so assume the noticeable oils wont be as visible versus lighter color? This will be a 9x12 rug in a high traffic area. I thought polypropylene would be a good option and more durable? Thanks for the clarity?

• PRO
    Rugs Done Right
    3 years ago

This is the same rug. Stark is a brand, but not a manufacturer. Prestige Mills makes them for Stark in standard sizes. We do offer samples of each color if anyone is interested.

• Amanda Reynolds
    3 years ago

My local carper one has Antelope Ax by Couristan in stock, which is a wool / nylon blend. This should hold up better?

• Debra Cowell
    3 years ago

Laura, Now that some times has passed, does your antelope staircase still look perfect? And, can you share if it’s easy to vacuum weekly? Have you had it professionally cleaned yet?

• Amanda Reynolds
    3 years ago

Here is the grey antelope ax (wool nylon). Only been a month but so far so good! Really love how it turned out. Next project is painting the balusters and bannisters a matte black to break up that oak.

• stiley
    2 years ago

@Amanda Reynolds do you still love your runner? Have you had to clean any stains yet? I am considering going BIG and carpeting our whole upstairs in the caramel color -- two kids' bedrooms and a small playroom. The carpet we have up there now holds onto stains so I want something that can actually get clean. I'm also sharing the pricing I got in case it helps anyone in the future, since I just found this old thread today. :) It's thanks to Houzz that I learned about Prestige Mills!

I also got a sample of the Karastan, and it's much darker. Comparing the two, the Karastan is 100% nylon; PM is 80% wool/20% nylon. Also the color on the PM goes through the fiber, whereas on the Karastan, the color is just on the surface, and the bottom is white.

Prestige Mills:

Karastan:

• Amanda Reynolds
    2 years ago

We do love it! To be clear, it is not prestige mills. It’s antelope ax by Couristan. Wool mix.

I love your idea! So far it’s held up well but no contact with stains and we remove shoes in house.

• stiley
    2 years ago

Gotcha, thanks! The Couristan is the same 80/20 blend as Prestige so I'm going to have our designer price it out for us. I've been putting red wine, lipstick and mustard on all my samples and seeing how they clean up. :)

• Amanda Reynolds
    2 years ago

Haha you’re my kind of person! I think the carpet is popular bc the pattern hides imperfection. For some reason my salesperson talked me out of prestige mills Deerfield bc he said the wool would hold up better, so that’s interesting. Either way, we are happy! I looked back and we paid 8.74 sq ft bc it was “in stock” at our home carpet one. But I’m sure that it’s hard to compare apples to apples bc we paid for installation and that can vary across providers.

Isn’t this one just gorgeous? It’s stark so prestige mills according to posts above.

https://www.somewherelately.com/2020/01/my-go-to-cozy-comfortable-winter-outfit/

I hope you go for it and I can’t wait to see your pics!

• stiley
    2 years ago

That one is striking! So pretty. I'm leaning toward a lighter for wall-to-wall; my designer is pushing gray since the caramel has been "done," so it's nice to see yours. Thanks!

• kelly3e
    2 years ago

I have a sample of deerfield PM and gazelle Stark. stark is wool, PM is synthetic

• PRO
    Rugs Done Right
    2 years ago

both are synthetic actually. We do offer free samples, if you'd like to DM us.

• Barb Crews
    2 years ago

I have been searching for pics of the carpet on stairs!! My only .concern is carpet store has it labeled as Dabbieri. When I asked more about it, they admitted it was Prestige Mills. Antelope, pewter color is what I am looking at getting.THANK you for this thread, super helpful.

• kelly3e
    2 years ago

Barb Crews, ive been through the whole ordeal. PM makes carpet for Stark. While Stark does have a wool version, their Antilocarpa and PM Deerfield in propelyne are pretty much the same carpet! Stark is geared towards the designers. Some of these ”antilope” prints differe just a bit. Stark is usually onky availabke to designers are but a few stores in the US carry.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Deerfield is polypropylene. A wool /nyon blend will outlive you.

Want a tip? Don't remove clean shoes. Bare feet KILL CARPET. any carpet.

The oils on your feet are ground in. the oils attract dust......ore bare feet grind it into the fibers. YOU'LL CLEAN IT? Hah! there begins the viscious cycle.........: (

Clean socks, house slipper......great. NO. BARE. FEET.

• PRO
    Rugs Done Right
    2 years ago

We do offer complimentary samples of the Stark Antelope if anyone is interested feel free to reach out to us.

• Barb Crews
    2 years ago

Jan Moyer.. I'm in my seventies. :) .this will outlive me too! But appreciate your comments, i love the look.. have a long staircase, wish I had someone nearby to hire just for thoughts like this. I do have carpet store coming out for estimates today.

• angelarampey
    2 years ago

I know this is an older post, but does anyone know approximately how much this carpet is to install on stairs? I’ve gotten one bid so far, but it seemed extremely high!!! Just want to make sure their numbers are correct.

• PRO
    Rugs Done Right
    2 years ago

We can help! Please contact us directly for assistance with this stair runner project.

• Amanda Reynolds
    2 years ago

Installation will depend on a number of factors including number of flights, turns etc. I would suggest getting quotes from a few places in your area. We had good experience with home carpet one in chicago.

• Barb Crews
    2 years ago

Agree.. get more than one quote, especially if you feel it is high. We had extra left over because they had to work with the pattern repeat and the size of our stairs. (But it does look amazing)

• HU-14525222
    2 years ago

Hi all! this thread is incrediblt helpful. I just got a quote for about 3000 for the rug alone. 30inches wide, one turn in a set of 14 stairs. Is that about right for the polypropylene Deerfield II in coffee? thanks for your help! It was admittedly more than I was expecting

• stiley
    last year

Our carpet was just installed yesterday and I LOVE it. I had to share with someone and thought y'all might appreciate it. This is PM Artem 80% wool/20% nylon. The guys installing it commented that it was a very nice quality carpet.

• Allison0704
    last year

Wow, you went all out! How many rooms did you do?

• stiley
    last year

Indeed! This is our upstairs, three rooms—playroom and two kids’ bedrooms. Our downstairs is more neutral. 😆

• kelly3e
    last year

• kelly3e
    last year

i ended up going with this one from prestige mills

• Amanda Reynolds
    last year

Looks great!

• Amanda Reynolds
    last year

Came back to share we love the runner even more with the oak railings now painted black!

• Kirsten Coco
    9 months ago

Does anyone have a source in Houston?