Anyone have an Instant Pot? Useful, or....

stacey_mb

I'm thinking of getting an Instant Pot for my son and daughter-in-law for Christmas. I also considered an air fryer, but perhaps it's not very versatile. Does anyone use an Instant Pot, and what are your impressions? Is it something that sounds good in theory but not really practical? Son and d-i-l both work full time and I'm considering a time saver for them.

SaveComment80Like
Comments (80)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amylou321

I don't have one but I will after Christmas. My mom and both my sisters have them. In fact my oldest sister has 3, and uses them all to cook for her large family. From what they say it is VERY useful.

I waited to get one to see if they would wise up and make a pink one. They haven't yet but I found a few etsy shops that sell wraps for them so I can make it pink by gosh.

I also love my air fryer btw. Not as versatile as an instant pot maybe but I do use it all the time. (They do make those on pink, if that helps. ;) )

3 Likes Save     Thanked by stacey_mb
clearwaters

Instant pot is a brand name for a digital pressure cooker. The versatility is because it can also be used as a slow cooker. Some have a yogurt function as well.

In the same way that crock pot (brand name) has become synonymous with slow cooker, so an instant pot has become for pressure cookers. There are many brand name pots on the market that work equally well, if not better, and have better pricing.

They're fabulous for summertime cooking. No heat added to the kitchen or house. I love my farberware pot and use it 2 or 3 nights a week. I also use my air fryer on a weekly basis. I'd start with the pressure cooker and save an air fryer for another occasion.

Save     Thanked by stacey_mb
desertsteph

both the AF and the IP are very useful.. I have both and love both. I probably use my AF more tho - but I don't really cook much anymore. I do cook more now that I have the IP.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by stacey_mb
morz8

I don't have the instant pot, but I've used a multi-function Fagor for years that is electric pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker - with a very effective browning unit so really one pot meals. I haven't tired of it, think it is one of my most favorite small appliances ever. If anything happened to it, I'd replace it in a heartbeat.

When I bought it, I was really only looking for a replacement for my 30 yr old slow cooker, then became interested in the other features. Instant pot wasn't around then. I had a much smaller kitchen and limited storage in our former house. I was trying to decide between the Fagor and same product Nesco multifunction pot - the Fagor won out because it was a half inch smaller in diameter and would fit in my upper cabinet with the cabinet door still closing ;0) But I'm not at all sorry with the purchase, the Fagor has been completely reliable.

murraysmom Zone 6a OH

I had both the Instant Pot and an air fryer and I got rid of both. To me the instant pot made everything taste the same and the air fryer did make good french fries but I couldn't justify keeping it around for that purpose when I can make them in the oven just as well. That said, I have all day for cooking and whatever so I don't need something that speeds up the process. My favorite appliance is my 25 year old crockpot.

1 Like Save     Thanked by stacey_mb
maddielee

Be sure they have room in their kitchen to store it. I don’t find mine that much of a time saver, it often takes a long time for it to come to pressure before the cooking time starts.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by stacey_mb
Emily H

Hi All, Just passing by but saw this and had to chime in. I have both an Instant Pot and an Air Fryer and if I only had one, I would go with an Instant Pot. We use it probably once a week to make big batches of chicken mole or risotto and it's a huge time saver for me. It's also great for boiling eggs perfectly. We've done cheesecake too. :)

OutsidePlaying

I don’t have an air fryer but do have an IP and use it at least a couple of times a month. In fact last night I used it for honey garlic chicken legs. About 5-10 minutes prep and done in 10 minutes. I have also used it to cook chicken pieces when I need them to shred for chicken soup or whatever. Easy peasy and you still get delicious chicken stock. You always need to add liquid when cooking so be sure that happens. Steel cut oatmeal is great in the IP too.

morz8

Is it true as for Maddielee's instant pot that they take a while to come to pressure? I don't have the wait like with my stove or gas flame top pressure cookers with my electric Fagor. Maybe 5 minutes at the most? Although I' not often beginning from cold, I will have used it for browning so it has some heat there already.

jkayd_il5

I have both and like and use both but if I could only have one it would be the air fryer.

Marilyn_Sue

I love my electric pressure cookers, have not used my Instant Pot one yet as I have not had it long. I use the big one at least 3 times a week or more. I would advise a person to get the bigger one they can afford as you can put a smallish turkey or a larger piece of meat in it.

Sue

gellchom

I LOVE my Instant Pot! And I am not big on buying lots of gadgets and appliances. This one is worth it. It isn't always much faster, but things come out so much BETTER, especially meat recipes. Chicken, beef, lamb all come out so silky, tender, and flavorful. I love making curries, short ribs, and stews in it. Rice comes out very well. And it makes stock quickly and easily. It's also very easy to clean, doesn't heat up the kitchen, and frees up the stove.

I bought it after Melissa Clark reviewed in in the NYT, and then wrote again a year later that although she'd thought it would be fun for a month and then go into storage like most new appliances, she hadn't even unplugged this one in a year, and she even put out a cookbook for it!

(But YOU unplug yours when not in use, okay? "Vampires" waste so much energy.)

Yes, it does take a while to come to pressure, but the cooking time is shorter, so it comes to the same at worst. As I said, though, the time is the least of it.

Anyway, I think you'll be very glad if you get one.

Elizabeth

I use my Instant Pot often both as a pressure cooker and a slow cooker. I purchased the glass lid for slow cooking and ease in soup stirring.

AmyLou, did you ever see the floral Instant Pots from the Pioneer Woman available at Walmart? There are florals, with pink.

Jasdip

I'm in the same camp as Murraysmom. I love my slow cooker; I don't need to cook anything particularly fast.

A couple of years ago we were visiting hubby's brother and sil after Christmas. He gave her an IP for Christmas and she was debating if she'd use it. The machine is big!! It will take up a LOT of room in a cupboard or on the counter. Space I can't spare.

Hubby and I looked thru the manual (neither of us could make heads nor tails out of it.

I decided right then and there that I didn't need one and I've been toying with the idea of getting one. SIL returned it, she likes her slow-cookers just fine.

hounds_x_two

I don’t have either one, and am perfectly happy without. Storage is an issue, and kitchen clutter is a huge issue if there is no hiding place. I enjoy cooking, but i am perfectly happy to prepare everything the “old fashioned“ way. That being said, I love my food processor and my Blendtec.

whatsayyou18

I debated about getting an IP for the longest time concerned that I wouldn't use it as well as storage. As it turns out, I use it all the time especially this time of year for soups and stews. I prefer it over a slow cooker because I can run to the store in the afternoon, purchase ingredients and have a wonderful meal for dinner. I should expand my repertoire and try other recipes. Oh, and I like the fact that ingredients can be sauteed in the IP. I ended up donating our slow cooker.

We have a Breville Smart Oven with an air fryer feature but never use it. Should probably play around with it more.

nancyjane_gardener
  1. We got both an IP and an air fryer and love both. I have heard a commercial for something that does BOTH!
  2. We upgraded our air fryer to a cuisenart that pretty much does everything, but still have the instant pot.
  3. Both are counter hogs, so keep that in mind.
  4. I don't know why all of my paragraphs are being #erd!
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

You can get the Ninja Foodie which is both a pressure cooker and a air fryer in one. You can also now get an air fryer lid that fits on your instant pot.

I have 2 pressure cookers one is an instant pot and I have a large air fryer. I use my instant pot much more often and I am glad to have it.

Elmer J Fudd

My son and daughter in law got one as a gift last year from her parents. They used it a few times and then took it to Goodwill.

I don't have a storage problem but I really don't want to have extra electric kitchen appliances or items other than conventional frying pans, dutch ovens, oven sheets, pots and steamers. We don't have a slow cooker, no toaster oven, no rice maker (we don't eat rice). Whatever we can't conveniently make using conventional implements and the cooktop/oven/broiler/grill, we don't make. Other than beef stew, we both dislike braised/steamed meat, which I believe is all these implements can do, whether slowly or with pressure.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX
cherryfizz

I love my Instant Pot and it gets used at least once a day, I have had the Duo 6 qt plus 9 for 2 years now. I would love to get the Mealthy lid but it is out of my budget but the reviews are good. You can also now purchase an 8 qt Instant Pot that comes with an IP air fryer lid

rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Murraysmom, I've never made french fries in my air fryer! It does a nice whole chicken, though. Chicken pieces, chops, fish, vegetables, etc.

amylou321

Elizabeth I have seen them. Not pink enough for me. ;)

But,as I said, there are several etsy shops that sell magnetic wraps for the instant pot,all different models. I think that it is such a clever business idea! Lots of pink ones to choose from!

jerzeegirl

I use mine on a regular basis to make rice, yogurt, proof bread, and steel cut oats. It can be also used as a slower cooker. It's nice to have one appliance to do all these things, rather than having to store a bunch of appliances. When I got an instant pot, my rice cooker, crockpot, yogurt maker all got donated.

bragu_DSM 5

look up an IP custard recipe ... thank me later ... yum

Jasdip

LOL Bragu!

moosemac

I love my Instant Pot and use it at least once each week. I was never a huge slow cooker fan but the IP's versatility makes it a winner. I can brown, quickly bring things to a boil or simmer and then set it for slow cook. I use the pressure cooker for fast meals for example chicken breast for shredding in dishes. I also use it to make mashed potatoes. Scrub the potatoes, cut in half and place on the rack in the IP. Add a little water and pressure cook on high 15-20 minutes. Check for doneness. Remove the potatoes and rack from the IP. Add milk, butter and seasoning and heat until simmering, Run the potatoes through a ricer (peels will stay in the ricer) and fold potatoes back into the milk mixture. Keep warm on low slow cook.

The pressure cooker does a great job making a quick stock. Not quite as good as a long simmered one but serviceable for sure.

always1stepbehind

I plan on getting an IP...Costco is going to have it discounted starting Sunday I believe. It’s a 9’in 1. $65.99.

tami_ohio

I love my IP. I use it at least twice a week. DS has a second job on Wed. & Thursday. It is the opposite direction of home from his regular job, so he comes here, and I feed him. Wed. usually isn't a busy day for me, so I could usually make something any other way that I would normally, but usually use the IP. Thursday is a busy day. I get home about an hour and a half before he arrives, so the IP is a life saver. I don't think ahead far enough to prep for the slow cooker, and seldom use it. I have a 6qt and a 3 qt. crock pot. And a 6 qt roaster. None of them get used much. We have an air fryer. No way it would fit a whole chicken. I don't care for the fries it makes. Chicken nuggets and cheese sticks come out good, but that's about it. If I had to get rid of any of them, it would probably be the air fryer.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Today I was at HEB and they were announcing on the loudspeaker that they were putting the Instant pot on for $59.95. When I bought the Pioneer Woman instant pot it was on sale for that same price. Definitely a good price.

My favorite thing to cook is dry beans with no soaking done in less than a hour. And I made fresh boiled peanuts in under an hour! They were amazing.

waverly6

If you are on Facebook check out some of the Instantpot and air fryer groups. They have actually achieved cult like status. I got both while I wait for my new kitchen to be installed as my ovens were/are terrible. I use my air fryer much more and think it is the closest thing to heaven. I can cook steaks and rotisserie chickens and small legs of lamb ( half legs) with fabulous results. There is so much I can do with it; bake, fry and very little fat or oil. Roast potatoes come out very crispy, bacon is crispy and not drowning in fat and the skin of chicken is like rice paper; it is so thin and crispy.

I have an instant pot and use it for certain things which it does well. I prefer my slow cooker for some cuts of meat. Pasta I prefer on the stove so I can watch it and have it al dente. The instant pot definitely has a learning curve and is not intuitive and you can't see what you are cooking so can't check on it as you go. It makes the best yogurt in the world and I make it every 2 weeks. it makes the best cheesecake in the world but it is a small one. I love it for steaming corn or potatoes for potato salad or for roasting. I have done interesting things like vanilla extract.People swear by it for boiled eggs but I use my little egg steamer. It is quick for soups.

There are pots which have crisper lids as others have mentioned. Besides the ninja foodi, and the mealthy lid, there is a new instant pot brand with the crisper lid so it is an air fryer as well as an instant pot. You can brown the chicken and meat after you cook them. If I could only choose one, I would do the air fryer.

rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Tami, your air fryer must be a small version. ;-)

OklaMoni

My daughter has 3 of them now. Two regular sized ones, and a smaller one. She finds them invaluable.

bragu_DSM 5

When I want something in a timely fashion, it's IP all the way. But I DO like a good crock pot meal put on before I go to work in the AM and have it ready about 6 PM when I get home. And day after chili is just better with age...

stacey_mb

Thank you so much to everyone who responded. There's lots for me to think about and I especially want to check out the IP and air fryer discussions on Facebook. It's good to know that it's not necessarily an either/or situation with the IP and air fryer, with devices that do both.

Save    
tami_ohio

Raven, love doing beans in it! No remembering to soak them the night before! And hard boiled eggs? The best I've ever made. I can do fresh from the farm eggs and have them peel perfectly.

Rhizo, probably. 6_8" basket, maybe? Without looking, I don't remember.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Yes best boiled eggs! The peel just slides off after being in cold water. I don't do them any other way now.

Bragu. You can have that slow cooked meal using the IP. Just like a crock pot. Set it up for slow cooking.

My air fryer is the oven style with shelves and a rotisserie basket. It's pretty big. I could do a whole chicken in it, I have not done one yet but I have it on my list. I love pork chops done in it. I do like the fried potatoes especially when I slice them super thin like potato chips.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Farberware-6-Quart-Digital-XL-Air-Fryer-Oven-Black/545964383

joann_fl

I have an instant pot and air fryer, I love them both. The instant pot makes great yogurt if you like that. They have different purposes but both are great.

murraysmom Zone 6a OH

Rhizo, I basically thawed and heated frozen french fries in the air fryer. I have to say they were pretty tasty. But not enough to keep yet another appliance around.

Elmer J Fudd

Hard boiled eggs are also quite easily done by steaming with equipment most people already have or should have anyway. I say "should have" because steaming is a very healthy and delicious way to cook vegetables.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

Pressure cooker recipes are written for pressure cookers with working pressure at 15 PSI.

IP is a 15 PSI pressure cooker, but not all electric pressure cookers are made to be able to get up to 15 PSI. You should check the PC PSI you are interested in buying or you may not get the same recipes results.

dcarch

yeonassky

I found this article interesting. It suggested that a convection toaster oven was the best air fryer. I have no idea but would probably get a toaster oven before I would get an air fryer or an instant pot.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-air-fryer/

desertsteph

yeonassky - they make AF ovens. I bought one last year. works great. I use it almost every day. beats heating up a big oven for the little amount I make or heat up.

I also love my IP. if either quit working I'd be getting a replacement within days.

Alisande

I've been following this thread because I have a 6-qt. Instant Pot that's been in its unopened box for a year. I bought it to give as a gift, but the recipient told me, kindly, that it wasn't her thing. I didn't think it was my thing either, although I'd been planning to get myself a 3-qt. model because so many people seem to be IP fans.

So I kept the IP and tried to sell it. But Amazon kept lowering the price, and it also went on sale at different sites. It was no wonder mine got little attention from buyers. I've been less than enthusiastic about the IP because, like Hounds, I'm happy cooking the old-fashioned way (a pot of soup on the stove appeals to me) and don't really have room to store the big IP. I'll have to leave it out on my butcher block. Not a good look! Also, like Elmer, I don't care for braised/steamed meats. At all. However, I do eat rice, although a rice cooker would have made more sense when I was cooking for my family of five.

My plan is to open the box after the holidays and read up on using this thing. I'm trying to think positively about it, and not sound like an old lady who's stuck in her rut. LOL I know I'll enjoy hard-cooking eggs in it, and I like what Raven said about beans. It would be nice to start out with dry beans with no need to soak them. I could even cook some at times for my daughter-in-law next door. I just wish the IP was smaller so I could put it away on a shelf. But maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. That's always a possibility.

Chi

I've had one for years but I've only used it once. I should probably try it again.

tami_ohio

I have a stove top pressure cooker. I hate it. I'm scared to death of it, though I have used it a few times. But love my IP. It sits on the counter, or I would forget about it and not use it. I need to use it more often than I do, but I hate to cook! So if I can get out of it, I don't cook. I don't steam anything on the stove. I cook pretty much the way my mother cooked, and she wouldn't touch a pressure cooker. She didn't use salt, as dad grew up without salted food. Grandparents had heart issues, and he ended up with them. If we wanted it salted, we salted at the table. That said, I do cook with salt, and more seasoning than mom ever did. Still simple meals, meat and potatoes, and veggies. But I can do that in the IP and not have all of the extra pots and pans!

cherryfizz

I love how quickly vegetables cook. I don't like mushy vegetables and was wary at first of using the IP but I have found that broccoli cooks perfectly setting the timer at 0 - the IP comes up to pressure then the broccoli is done. Same for some other vegetables. Perfect rice in 4-6 minutes after it comes up to pressure. I am making laquered chicken legs tomorrow night. 12 minutes in the instant pot, then baste with the sauce under the broiler. I even use it to heat up leftovers using a lidded pot inside the instant pot instead of using the microwave. Pasta comes out al dente if you cook your pasta half the time it says on the pasta package or box. We love how rubbed ribs cook. 25 minutes cooking using coke, apple cider or root beer as the liquid, then if you prefer under the broiler with sauce for a few minutes. There are some things I won't cook in my Instant Pot, stew is one of them or chili. I prefer long simmer times for chili or stew made in the oven. I find with the Instant Pot the potatoes and carrots come out mushy if you add them at the beginning of the cook time. Some people add the vegetables in towards the end. I even used my banana bread recipe and cooked it in the IP in the summer because I didn't want to heat up the kitchen. It tookt he same amount of time as in the oven. I am used to living alone so not used to meal planning like I have to do now. If I forget to pull meat or chicken out of the freezer earlier in the day to cook for dinner I can still cook it in the IP from frozen. I also have the Instant Pot Ace blender which is very good and it also heats up to cook soups or sauces. I paid far less than the price of a Vitamix and it works just as well. I bought it mainly for crushing ice in the summer for ice coffee but have used it for so much more.

pkramer60

I have 2 instant Pots and love them. Foods do not all come out tasting the same! Today I am making a rare rump roast that should be done in about 20 minutes without heating up the oven for hours. Perfect au jus also while this cooks.

Soups that took several hours are done in 5 to 30 minutes. Hard boiled egg in 3 to 5 and they peel like a dream.

Wait, why am I typing? Cherryfizz did it for me!

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I have a metal shelving unit that I store several of my larger pots and equipment in the utility room. I keep my pressure cookers on it but I use the instant pot so often it usually stays on my rolling island in the kitchen. If you look on you tube there are so many great recipes there. The New York Cheesecakes that are so easy to make using the instant pot are amazing. I have everything to make one except the gram crackers. There are a lot of accessories for cooking with the IP. Cheesecake uses a type of spring form pan and pot in a pot cooking with a trivet to lift it up from the bottom.

The dry beans are so quick and easy! We eat a lot of different dry beans now.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

This guy does some great IP recipes including this cheesecake.

https://youtu.be/CbJ8BAYn8VE

desertsteph

My plan is to open the box after the holidays and read up on using this thing.

just pull up Jeffrey's website (pressureluckcooking) and watch his intro to the IP videos - and a few where he actually makes something. He is awesome. I watched his intro video 2x before I attempted to use my IP the 1st time. easy!

I'm trying to think positively about it, and not sound like an old lady who's stuck in her rut.

I had to force myself to get up and give it a try. I was still recovering from leg surgery and otherwise sick when my IP arrived. At about the 3rd wk that it sat unopened I knew I had to get up and try it before the 30 days were up - in case it didn't work at all. I'd been reading on the IP FB page for maybe a month or 2 so I pulled up Jeffrey's video - my brain was too muddled to make a lot of sense out of the booklet. after I watched the video I thought 'that's it? that's what so many people are afraid of? ' people posting that they were afraid of it is what scared me! I use the hole in the handle of the plastic rice paddle that came with it to release the pressure valve. my hand is on the 'spoon' end of it, so far enough away from any steam being released.

sign up on the IP FB page and read thru some of the posts (many are just repetitive, so just scan past them). You'll read the trials and errors of others and the replies / help given by the seasoned IP users. you can save the posts if you want or search back for them - or if a recipe is given, copy it out and save to try later. Stick to the tried and true recipes as a beginner - those will be posted over and over again on it. sites like Jeffrey's, This old gal, Amy and Jacky etc.

I learned so much from the mistakes of others - and those who used a non tested recipe (like so many on Pinterest). I stay away from that.

soups and chili - you can cooked those in the IP on sauté. set it to low (options - low, med, high) and use a regular lid (or plate), not the pressure sealing lid. that's how I make mine. the inner pot is a lot easier to clean. I don't often make a very big pot of anything - and my IP is a 3 qt. I don't sauté veggies or brown meats in it - I use my Curtis Stone skillets for that. they're non stick, a breeze to clean and I don't have to deglaze the inner pot or be concerned about a 'burn' notice.

I have very little counter space but I made room for the 3 qt to 'live' in. it's always there and ready if I need it. I only cook for me and the dog so the 3 qt is plenty. also, at that time I was very limited in the weight I could lift (still am) so I went for the lightest in weight. and I'm short so with it I don't need a step stool to see down into it, and it takes less space on the counter. I can cook plenty in it at one time to eat for a few days plus some to freeze. I even did a 4.6? lb chicken in it. but I don't use it for everything. I probably won't cook another whole chicken in it. I have a 4 lb turkey breast in the freezer and I'm going to do that in the oven.

if you are cooking HB eggs to chop up for a salad, the dog's food (or whatever), you can also crack them into a small inner pot (for PIP, set on trivet in the liner pot) and cook them. then you don't even need to peel them when they're done. some have posted to use a small loaf pan but even a rounded container would work. I have a small ceramic pot with a handle that fits into my 3qt liner so the next time I do HB eggs I'm going to use it and just crack them before they cook. When done, I can just pull that little pot out, set in cold water and when cooled just chop the eggs up.

Marilyn_Sue

I had two of my electric pressure cookers going today. Both were full of carrots. So handy. I have stove top pressure cookers and canners, but the electric ones are so much easier to keep an eye on and not so noisy.

Sue

bob_cville

A friend was given one a year ago and was daunted by the various warnings in the directions so she asked me to help her figure it out. She brought it over with a recipe and a whole chicken and the other ingredients it called for. We followed all of the directions, first browning the chicken, then adding all of the other ingredients and pressure cooking it, then when it was down, removing the chicken and reducing the sauce on saute. The result was such a horrible, tough, dry, overcooked mess that it was nearly inedible. While it is impressive that chicken could be totally overcooked in just 10 minutes or so, whereas to similarly overcook it in an oven would take hours The result was so disappointing that she simply said I could have the Instant Pot. Yay?

Since then I've used it for a number of other dishes, most commonly for making a israeli couscous side dish, which is starting to turn out reliably well. I've also made risotto once which was much less work than usual, but wasn't nearly as good. And I've made rice thinking it would be faster than my rice cooker, but the directions called for soaking the rice for 15 minutes, followed by pressure cooking for X minutes, followed by 10 minutes slow release. After following the recommended steps, the rice wasn't as good as from the "smart" rice cooker.

I'm not sure if that is a positive review and a recommendation or not.

dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

I am not sure what kind of meat gets tender cooked at 250F (in a pressure cooker), Fall apart? yes. Tender? I am not so sure.

dcarch

desertsteph

" While it is impressive that chicken could be totally overcooked in just 10 minutes or so "

how many lbs was it? where'd your friend get the recipe? pinterest?

the chicken I cooked in mine wasn't overcooked or tough.

When I cook chicken breasts in it, I slice them lengthwise so they're thin pieces, cook in a bit of water or broth on the bottom of the liner - no trivet. depending on the thickness I set it for 0-1 minute cook time and a short npr.

annie1992

Elery has one and he uses it mostly to cook beans, it's far faster than the stove top or the crock pot, but no faster than my stove top pressure cooker. I find it fiddly. Push saute, brown your whatever, set it for pressure, cook 10 minutes, let it release naturally 20 minutes, go back and finish whatever it is. I have to go back and "tend to" the IP periodically, with the insistent beeping interrupting whatever else I'm doing. (shrug) Elery can use it, it's his.

Both of my daughters have them too. My youngest daughter never uses it. Ever. She had a couple of spectacular failures and told me she was "over it". I told her there was a learning curve with nearly everything and she informed me that her husband bought the "machine from he!!, he can learn to use it himself". She's so patient, just like me. (grin) My oldest daughter uses hers when they are camping, she says it's great for the camper and for outdoor cooking but never uses it otherwise.

I've been trying to convince The Princess to learn to use it, but she's mostly interested in baking and there is limited use for IP in that regard.

I know people who love them and use them all the time. Especially if there are only two people in the household, or a small family, it may work well. My neighbor has five children and she says the Instant Pot isn't big enough to make a meal for her family of seven.

Annie

cherryfizz

bob_cville, for rice I use Basmati rice, rinse it for a minute then cook for 4-6 minutes, equal rice to same amount of liquid.Another tip with the IP, just ignore the presetting options and set the timer manually

tami_ohio

Annie, your neighbor needs the 10 qt! I could probably use the 3 qt for just the 2 of us, but I bought the 6 qt about a year ago. I could certainly use it more often than I do, but I have been using it about twice a week.

I haven't tried it for rice yet. Well, I guess that's not completely true. I have made chicken and risoto in it that turns out good if I remember to put the butter in it at the end, like the recipe said. It was still good, but not as good as it is when I completely follow the recipe! :) It wasn't one of my better days. Blame it on Firbromyalgia brain fog. And hurrying to get supper on the table so DS could get to his second job on time.....

I have yet to bake in it, but I really need to try cheesecake in it.

Alisande

Desertsteph, thanks for the encouragement, and for telling me about Jeffrey. I'm cooking only for me--not even a dog right now--and now I'm wondering if I should make one more stab at selling the red 6 qt. (it's not even a good color for my kitchen), accept that I'm taking a loss on it, and get myself a 3 qt. when a deal comes up before the holidays.

Speaking of dogs, years ago when I routinely used a stovetop pressure cooker I used to cook chicken bones until they turned into mush, and fed it to the dogs. A German Shepherd breeder we knew said it was wonderful for pregnant females. Now I'm wondering if it's still a healthy thing to give dogs, but that's my tip anyway.

Cherryfizz, I was surprised and happy to read about your perfectly cooked vegetables, especially broccoli--which is so easy to overcook that I usually stand there monitoring it. I'll use your pasta tip too!

bob_cville

Alisande, If you try to sell the one you have it might be worth also suggesting trading for a 3 qt one. It is very possible that there is someone who really likes theirs, but wishes they had a larger one.

Alisande

A good suggestion, Bob, although I know my inner wheeler-dealer would have trouble trading my new-in-sealed-box unit for a used smaller one. :-)

desertsteph

my inner wheeler-dealer would have trouble trading my new-in-sealed-box unit for a used smaller one

a lot of people have a new 3 qt sitting in the box unused too! if you both get what you need and want, that's a win-win vs 2 unused in the boxes!

There are many posts on the IP FB page by those who found an unused IP at GW for just a few $s. and many who are gifted a 3 qt but really need a larger one because of their family size.

otoh, you could get a 3 qt on BF and keep the larger one in the closet for the times you are having people over to eat, want to put the chicken / turkey carcass in to make stock to freeze, a large batch of tamales, or a larger cheese cake etc. or someone will come into your life that you can gift it to.

cookebook

I used mine a lot at first, but like some have posted above, I don't need things to cook fast for the most part. One thing it does make very well is brown rice. A little more water than whatever your measurement of rice is. 15 minutes then 15 more minutes then quick release. Comes out perfectly every time. Brown rice became the only thing I used it for. Not worth the space in my opinion.

joann_fl

I made mac & cheese in mine tonight. Very easy and good too. (I cut my recipe down)Mac & Cheese

John Liu

I'm coming to this thread late. We've had an Instapot - actually, a Fagor brands but it has the same functionality and even looks almost the same - for 5 years or so. It is a very useful device. I won't go through all the functions but basically it is nice to be able to cook unattended - set it up, go to sleep, or set timer so it starts when you're away. I could certainly live without it, and if you have a whole kitchen at your disposal you might not use it much, but if SMWBO threw me out and I could take only one small appliance to my motel room, I would take the Fagor.

Kathsgrdn

I bought my daughter a Star Wars one for Christmas and then started looking for one for myself. So, ended up buying an Instant Pot one in green, 6 qt. I am especially interested in making soup and beans quickly. Maybe I'll make more spaghetti if i can make the sauce quicker? I haven't made it or lasagna in a while because of the time it takes to make the sauce, just don't feel like doing it anymore.

desertsteph

because of the time it takes to make the sauce, just don't feel like doing it anymore

make up a bunch of the sauce and freeze it for future use. I freeze things in advance so when I want to make certain things I have parts of it that I'll need already in the freezer proportioned out for the amount I usually make.

I understand what you mean about 'just don't feel like doing it anymore'. I've changed the way I make certain long time (and family) recipes to make it easier for me to do.

waverly6

Alisande, that is a good article. The one thing I disagree with is the author's disdain for the yogurt function. I think it is the one item I make the most in my instantpot. Making coldstart yogurt using Fairlife milk and a good starter yogurt is the easiest thing in the world and so much nicer than store bought. You can make regular yogurt or Greek yogurt. I also use that setting to proof bread.

desertsteph

the author's disdain for the yogurt function

that was a big plus for me when I bought mine. haven't made it yet but plan to soon, also cheesecake and cottage cheese.

Anne

I love an Instant Pot...my schedule can have me having 12 15 hour days...and then on my days off I am trying to catch up around the house. I sear everything so the Instant Pot is helpful because I can sear without breaking out another pan. I am a fan and have had no fails.

waverly6

@desertsteph:The cheesecake is a winner. Best cheesecake I have ever made. I haven't made the cheese in it although I did make it with my sous vide.

tami_ohio

Kathsgrdn, this showed up in one of the instant pot facebook groups I'm in and I thought of you. I haven't tried it yet, but I will. I am having a hard time finding spaghetti sauce with no garlic in it. I can customize this one.

https://sweetandsavorymeals.com/instant-pot-spaghetti-sauce/?fbclid=IwAR1yNIUNUOLixydIkNKJIqjeLUrEktqVJScwtiBqQDKVNEf6kmDr6mgWdHs

Kathsgrdn

Thanks Tami but I don't put sausage in my spaghetti sauce, I don't like it. I did noticed they added 3/4 cup of water to the recipe, is that because it is cooked in the instant pot? Does it dry things out?

tami_ohio

You can leave the sausage out, use hamburger, or no meat at all. I would use hamburger if I make it. You need the added water to create steam in the instant pot. If it's to thin when it's finished cooking, after you release the steam, turn the IP off, then turn on the saute feature, and let it simmer until it's as thick as you want it to be. It won't take long, so watch it, and stir as needed.

Elizabeth

You can also allow your sauce to simmer using the slow cook feature on it's highest setting. I use a glass lid for that function.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

I have both a 3 quart and a 6 quart IP Ultra and use at least one every day, if not both. Also have a Gourmia GAF635 air fryer, which I use almost every day. These have been life changers for me. I have a very bad back and could no longer stand for long periods of time cooking, so was not eating healthy meals. These two tools have now made it possible for me to, once again, eat very healthily. I cook nearly everything in it's frozen state; meat, vegetables, fish, poultry. Also cook fresh vegetables and they are wonderful in the IP or AF.

Forgot to mention that I make yogurt about every 1 1/2 in the 6 quart IP in cups about the size of the yogurt purchased in grocery stores. I make it plain and unsweetened, so that I can use it in lieu of sour cream. When I want to eat one, I add one or a mixture of: apple butter, Nutella, jam/preserves, KoolAid, frozen fruit, fresh fruit, etc. One day I wanted a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but didn't want or need the bread. So I mixed peanut butter and jam into my serving of yogurt; absolutely delicious.

Debby

I have two instant pots, 3 qt and 6 qt. I used them a few times a week when I first got them. They've been collecting dust for probably six months now.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Storage 6 Clever Kitchen Storage Ideas Anyone Can Use
No pantry, small kitchen, cabinet shortage ... whatever your storage or organizing dilemma, one of these ideas can help
Full Story
Saving Water Container Garden Basics: How and When to Water Potted Plants
Confused about soil moisture, the best time to water and what watering device to use? This guide can help
Full Story
Vintage Style The Details: Using Typography in Design
Vintage Letters and Numbers Add Instant Interest to Walls, Furniture and More
Full Story