SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angela_carlson54

Storing plates in "pantry"?

Angela
4 years ago

I'm trying to sort out kitchen design on a total gut (ripping out walls, etc.). I don't love the microwave-over-range functionality, so I'm trying to find a way to incorporate a convection microwave (ie, not a drawer microwave) into the kitchen.

I think it'll look odd to mount a microwave below a cabinet unless it's above the range. Does anyone disagree with this? If I mounted it to a cabinet, the best place space-wise is next to the range. I think this will look doubly weird.

I don't want to mount it below the counter because it'll be so low and, again, wanting convection = no drawer-style microwaves.

I also don't want to leave one sitting out on a counter (pet peeve...). So I'm trying to find a way to hide it.

My design at this juncture includes a wall that is largely counter-depth. Moving left to right, 48" wide floor-to-ceiling pantry, 36" wide counter-depth refrigerator, 18" drawers in the base, and then lazy Susan (12" butting up to the 24" cabinets running along the perpendicular wall).

Am I crazy to consider making the entire wall, including above the lazy Susan, counter-depth? I had planned to store my plates in the upper above the 18" drawer/LS. Would having that be 24" deep be crazy? That would allow me to make the "space" between lowers and uppers into an appliance garage, where I could keep my microwave, toaster, and coffee maker (the only 3 small appliances I use daily).

Thanks!

Comments (13)