SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hansmeier06

Fireplace Wall Help

Jen
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi

I have not been too fond of our fireplace since whitewashing it and I just got this new mantel. It’s not attached yet. Now I’m wondering if I could just Sheetrock around the brick and tile the hearth and around the fireplace? I can’t find a lot of good pics online. Would this look a lot better? Is this expensive to do?

Comments (62)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Looks sooooo much better! You can get vent deflectors for the vents under the furniture. Home Depot or Lowes. Easy fix.

I am not sure what that unit is, but I think a much lower tv console would be more functional and look better. Do you have something lower? Can you move the tv to the console?

If you don't like the brick, that can be changed. Can you post a photo of a couple of rooms that you like?

As far as glare, that is an easy fix with some shades or by closing the drapes.

• Jen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Related Discussions

Fireplace wall needs help

Q

Comments (8)
    You would not believe it.... I got each of these cabinets for 100 each off of Craigslist (new) (there are 4- 36" cabinets). They are Brookhaven (Wood-mode) cabinets in Maple. I am not sure of the stain color - I will look for you. But I bought the stain from the cabinet company to have the matching color when we do "whatever" we are going to do above the cabinets. Would anyone be able to photoshop some book shelves above the cabinets for me. I was initially thinking of ending them below the windows but I am open to ideas...Thick floating shelves, incorporating windows, etc. Thanks so much!!!!!
    ...See More

Fireplace Wall Help

Q

Comments (8)
    JMHO and I can't tell you HOW to do this, but it strikes me to install a gas or electric fireplace. Maybe not at floor level and it doesn't even have to look like logs if you really want comtemporary. Stone or marble over the multi color surround you have. Could you refinish what is now white with a dark stain?
    ...See More

Need help updating rock wall fireplace wall.

Q

Comments (12)
    To my eye the fireplace does not have attractive proportions. The hearth is too wide and and overly deep for its height, the wood box is too small, the ceiling trim too bulky, mantle too large and too high. And the doorway looks squashed in beside it. No amount of whitewashing or painting is is going to change any of that. The good news is that it looks like the stone isn't boulders stacked up like some of the photos people have posted above. I think it's rock veneer, flat pieces of rock stuck to a cement/wire mesh base. If it's veneer, you should be able to see that from the side. Can you stand by the round mirror and take a picture for us? Veneer can be removed relatively easily by someone with experience and the right tools. Then you can have the room you want. You can shorten the hearth and put the TV to the left of the fireplace which would look much better than above it. Now is the time to do it, when you're re-doing the floor. If not, be sure to keep a box of the flooring for later if you want to remove or shorten the hearth and need to fill in the floor. My house also had an overpowering stone fireplace and the best thing we ever did was replace it with a normally-proportioned fireplace surround. IMO these large stone fireplace walls look great in big chalet-style homes with high ceilings, and are out of place in regular homes.
    ...See More

Fireplace wall HELP

Q

Comments (3)
    What's it made of; drywall or plaster? You can always just close up all the openings, which will give you great space for art. Do you want TV on that wall or will it be located elsewhere? The cabinetry can be removed, used elsewhere or donated to Habitat. Depending on what's behind that whole installation, you could close the cabinet spaces on this side and open them on the other side as closets for storage.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

1000 percent better!

Now, you said you did not like the recently painted cabinets, white. You do not want a grey fireplace. Do you know what you want?

• Jen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The cabinets just seem so WHITE might just need to keep getting used to them. They were a cream before which clashed with the fireplace. I just don't know if there's a way to make the brick and cabinets go better? Maybe i have a battle of cool and warm in here. Should I hang my square frames on each side of the fireplace or would adding shelving help? Still not a fan of this mantel? I don't need to keep the clock if that's what's throwing it off. I think adding dark furniture balances the mantel, that cabinet is dark and the end table is dark. Now I can get a coffee table or a big ottomon..what kind should that be?!!! THe last 5 years this room has been open for toys.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

The cabinets are a little odd. Normally, I'd like to see bookcases there, if you have cabinets. But, we can work with them.

opt 1) remove the cabinets

opt 2) paint the fireplace and cabinets all one white color, same as kitchen cabinet color.

I'd remove the clock. Whatever you put on the sides and over the mantle has to all flow together. See how this art works with the statues? Probably not your style, but an example.

I really like how the family photos are framed, but I'd use them somewhere else.

Who Says the Suburbs Aren't Glamorous?! · More Info

• PRO
    G.J. Gardner Homes Fresno/Kingsburg
    4 years ago

It appears to be a rather narrow room, and you have a lot of things drawing your eye and competing. I feel the cabinets crowd the space, I'd remove them, and I'd find a color to paint your fireplace vents that blends with the brick. The mantle isn't the right size for the fireplace, I'd remove it and the clock and find a nice picture with some color in it to hang there. Drywall would really change the style of the fireplace, but I'm not sure it would be an improvement. Paint the walls a color that compliments the fireplace but breaks up the washed out look. Put the tv on the wall opposite the window and rearrange your seating so you can sit next to the fireplace and look into the room instead of at the fireplace.

• Jen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

CDR would adding shelves (wood or white?) help or hang my frames. This is our family room so I’d love to have photos displayed

• Sandybean
    4 years ago

Try painting your white cabinets a light grey so they blend better with fireplace. Nice colorful artwork over fireplace and the correct decor on top of cabinets or maybe add shelves. Mantel looks too big. I would paint or replace all of the black vents, etc on the fireplace. Looks better with the tv out of that corner but I think your tv is too high on new cabinet. Also suggest more curtains at that window and sheers.

• Jen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I just paid someone to paint these cabinets white. What color the vents? Even the decorative one?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Can you simply eliminate the mantle?

• Jen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It sits on bricks that stick out. I like having a mantel to decorate and have Christmas stockings on.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I would stack the photos and hang them here.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

Since you don't like the fireplace, I would repaint it white. Sometimes whitewashing the fireplace doesn't look great because of the color of the brick behind it Painting the brick white will get the gray out of the room. What about mounting the TV above the fireplace. It will put the focus in one place and you'll be able to see it from the kitchen. In terms of the cabinets on either side, they do look a bit odd without anything above them. I would prefer bookcases, but keeping a budget in mind you could just add shelves. I agree that the crown molding style of mantle doesn't quite work with the fireplace. I understand you don't want a rustic beam, but try to find something that is more simple, without the rough texture you dislike. Remember there are many different "whites" and picking a warm white will avoid the stark feeling you dislike. Try Benjamin Moore White Dove, or BM Simply White.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Okay. Rather than trying to decorate, you need to first determine of vision of how you would like the fireplace to look.

Here is one idea. Art over the mantle. Paint fireplace white. Mirrors on either side of the fireplace. Keep things simple. You don't want shelves. More clutter and something else to decorate.

• Jen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I would like to have a mantel. I don't like tvs hung over the fireplace and I am not sure how that would even work with the brick and trying to hide the wires. I like that the tv is not the focal point now that it is across from the window. This is already a big improvement THANK YOU everyone..it's just tricky getting the cabinets,brick etc. to look right. Would white shelving or dark wood shelving look better if I went that route?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Shelving is going to look busy. White or dark.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Big improvement with moving the furniture around. You have a bunch of good ideas, so just keep trying things that aren't "permanent" and see what works best for your family. I would consider using a glaze on the white cabinets even though you just had them painted. They throw everything off. Perhaps a gray glaze. Easy to do, but might look dingy. So test on small spot inside first. The mantel is too long and bulky for the look I "think" you will like. Less is more in a tight space. I like the two prints on each side of the fireplace and a lamp on each side as well. Here's a lamp that might look really good with those prints. Has some "flare" to it. Not just another round lamp. You could turn the other one in the opposite direction for balance.

Stein World Chastain Table Lamp - 76054 · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Great little lamp for the price. Do you have recessed lighting above the fireplace brick wall? If so, change the bulb to a warmer temperature. That might help as well.

• Jen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was thinking shelving would give the bookcase look that I guess everyone thinks is needed...but I know that it would have to be styled just right to not look like a mess...the cabinets are White Dove BM...wish I could see before what the whole thing white would look like! agh! Would it all look super white or would the cabinets look less shocking because its all one color.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Don't mess with everything else when it's just the cabinets that are the problem. Fix that first. I know, you paid someone to paint them. Well, we all make mistakes. You have basically two choices, live with it and distract your eye with great art over the mantel, good mantel that suits the tones of the brick, and simple but distinctive décor on each upper of the cabinets. More shelves isn't the answer IMO. Just clutter up things. Keep it very simple and it will look great.

• Jen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

No recessed lighting unfortunately. The room is more narrow than square, but it's not a small space. I am suspecting the white wash is weird due to the color of the original brick which was a dark brown.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Would you consider removing the cabinets?

• Jen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What would I put there? I use the storage...

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

If not, see now calm this feels? You could add a couple of mirrors and art to the center.

San Francisco Pied á terre · More Info

Woodvale Drive · More Info

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

I am showing above some options with the cabinets.

• Jen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Looks nice, yet formal. Where would you put lights in this room? There are no overhead lights. There are no outlets inside the cabinets :-( so when I had that lamp on it, the wire hung down over the cabinet. On the other side of the long sofa there's about 48 in between the cabinet and the sofa arm.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Your space would not be as formal.....just showing you the idea.

I'd put floor lamps on either side of the tv. Then, I'd put a table lamp on either side of the sofa.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

You need a carpenter and electrician to get plugs inside the cabinets. Start by getting a licensed electrician out to see what is feasible. You can have carpenter with the right tools drill hole for cord management and put “grommet” in the hole for best appearance. These grommets come in various finishes and sizes. Just get hole and grommet large enough to get plug end through. A door knob hole is too big.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

While I agree removing the cabinets would give more space for better look, be careful. You could bite off more than you bargain for. Sheetrock repair, repainting, fill in flooring or carpeting new baseboards and trim. More issues could crop up too. So think that through.

• Jen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yeah I don't want to spend my money with that...issue is the brick. Can I sheetrock over most of it, then tile around the fireplace and tile the hearth or is that not much of an improvement

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

A lot of money for no reason. Why can't you just paint it?

Painted Brick Fireplace · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Like CDR says, paint the brick. But paint it same color as cabinets. Or I wonder if you could just go over this coating with a sponge technique and lighter white color? Maybe research that. Beth H has great experience along these lines. I will reach out to her on the options you could use. Bbl

• Jen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

paint it solid white like the cabinets?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Yes. You can try other techniques, but more work.

I still don't know what your goal is. Why did you want it whitewashed to begin with? Are you looking for more of a rustic look?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Not solid, but with a sponge technique, it would be more "mottled" and with a whiter color similar to cabinets, could help it blend in more. I have reached out to Beth and asked her to pop over here to see if she has some ideas for you. She is great and has done a ton of various brick/tile/redos/flips, etc. If anyone can help, it's Beth!

• Jen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We did things without a plan and out of order...I don't remember anymore if we white washed the brick first or painted the cabinets (they were cream). The brick was really dark brown, I thought it was an easy way to lighten things up. I wasn't going for rustic, just trying to lighten things up. The cabinets were cream because our kitchen cabinets are cream. I toyed between this time going white or gray...I thought going white to match the trim was the safest thing. My goal is to just have it look updated, clean, and cozy. There is a real battle between warm and cool in my whole house. For example all the grays I try (paint, rugs, etc) in other areas of the house look blue. Thank you for all your help.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Hey, it's not the end of the world. And yes, a master plan would have been a good idea. But hey, we meet you where you are and try to be helpful in getting you where you want to go. You stated you didn't want a rustic mantel, so are you going for a more modern look? One thing I have been thinking about is putting new hardware on the cabinets. It is pretty "kitchen-like" as far as I can see. Your furniture looks kind of "transitional", so maybe some more streamlined hardware in gold might push the look in that direction, including the hinges. Looks black or dark brown in the photos?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Something like these and couple with open gold bowl on your coffee table to tie it in. Like that bowl only in gold.

• PRO
    G.J. Gardner Homes Fresno/Kingsburg
    4 years ago

Simplify your situation by not overthinking it. Paint the brick, look into a mantle that is proportionate to the fireplace and for gosh sakes, get some color in the room that isn't a shade of white. Painting the brick is simple and inexpensive, so if you decide on sheetrock later it won't be a problem. We call it a punch list, or an order of operation, but its really just a checklist of things you want to accomplish and you need to get one to help you get organized. There is a common theme in the advice you've been given on this thread, write them out and discard those you don't want and try those you do. You can't whitewash after you've painted the brick, so try that first and see what you think. Don't like it, then paint. Really look a the mantle, most on here think its too large - maybe look into a smaller one, or build your own like I did. The clock and the lamp, old school, look into something newer. Move the tv around along with your furniture to find the best mix. Drill a hole in your cabinet, put in the cord cover and hide your cords and center your lamp on the cabinet. Think outside of your normal box and embrace change, its difficult but if what you've got isn't working for you try something different. And most importantly, enjoy the process and keep at it until you're happy!

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

Paint first and yes, the same color as the cabinets. If you still don't like it , then you can sheetrock it, but it's a bit involved with shimming out walls, etc. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you paint the brick and change the mantle.

• krottmann
    4 years ago

...following

• Jen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for all the help!!! I am wondering if you have an recommendations for an ottomon? As you can see there's no color in this room....

• shead
    4 years ago

I'm with others, paint the fireplace, Aunt Bee, paint the fireplace..... (does anyone remember the Andy Griffith "call the man" episode?!?!"

After that, install some dark floating shelves above the cabinets.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I heard back from Beth who is under the weather and she suggested you try Romabio Lime Wash. check their website for loads of pictures and info. Or get some “real milk paint”. So two options to get “mottled” lighter look on brick.

Jen thanked Flo Mangan
  • Jen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This goes on the brick fireplace? How would it help it?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Jen, what you need to do is stop guessing. Post a photo here of a room you like with a painted brick fireplace. Otherwise, you'll just be guessing. Thanks.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

It would help get color more in tune with cabinets. Check out the website to see different results.

• Jen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Flo so it would work on top of an already whitewashed fireplace?

• Jess Kay
    4 years ago

Paint it! We had no regrets painting our dark flagstone in our other house!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Jen, you have to go to the website and read up on the product. Other people I trust on this recommend this product, but you will have to research if it can be applied over what you have already put on it or not. Since you stated it was "stained" that implies it is not "painted". So jump over to their website and see what you find.