Virginia anticipates changes to gun control

Delilah66
SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JodiK

There are already Red Flag Laws in some states... you can Google the list. They open up an entire can of worms that can effectively crush several Constitutional rights we've all come to expect we have. These laws do not always work as intended. Some Sheriffs are refusing to enforce them, and with good reason in many cases.

When certain persons 'pshaw' the idea that no one wants to take away our guns... I'm not sure they're really looking at how this right is being chipped away... slowly, little by little. It's not a fantasy... it's slowly becoming a reality.

And I know there are those who are okay with that. But all legal rights aside, what about a person's self preservation? Where does that fit in? Or doesn't it?

Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

That article may be a bit over hyped on the claim of "gun confiscation". I don't think it's going that far other than possible gun buy backs, 1 gun purchase/month (we used to have that), gun show background checks, red flagers, and perhaps restrictions on military style weapons. Nothing is in stone yet.

1 Like Save    
JodiK

I wouldn't be too sure, VgKg... I just think the increments to which it's happening are a lot smaller than most would even notice and label as such. I believe the government wants the public to demand it... then they get to look like the good guys, just doing what that public wants. And they can make that happen, if they so wish. They'll just take their time. And if you've been reading, you can see how it's working.

I mean, c'mon... look at the support for the clown in the WH... that happened, didn't it? The mind is an easy thing to control should you want to, and have the resources to do so.

People have glommed onto and focused in on a few phrases and visuals, and since guns play no parts whatsoever in many of their lives, they could care less if those who actually require and use firearms legally no longer have the right to use them, quite safely and quite legally.

They never take out actual statistics, both positive and negative numbers, or read comparisons for accidental injury or death... which happens every day to someone, somewhere, somehow... and instead, the focus is on the minority of media highlighted stories pushed at the public having to do with specific gun violence.

They then throw out either a single reason for the rather sudden violence that's come upon this country, or have no idea to give... when there very well may be a plethora of reasons and causes.

At no time in the past has our culture been as it is today... it should not be that difficult to see that a lot of causes underpin what we're witnessing... such as the use of mind altering medications on youngsters, many of which we have no idea of what long term or misdiagnosed use could cause... plus a lot of other issues that I see as coming together at a time in our history when certain young persons might view the future as nothing they can deal with or want to be a part of, and have been easily coerced by a world online, and not one based in reality.

I'm tired, and I'm sick, and I just don't feel like typing everything on my mind out at the moment... but I think if we take a few steps back and view it all logically and with common sense, we may see a method or a direction to what we're being fed. I don't know... it's all a little disturbing, that so many of our rights are being chipped away at, one tiny chip at a time... and on so many fronts, not just this one.

1 Like Save    
cecily 7A

Currently in Virginia, any person can go to a gun show and purchase a weapon with no background check. Gun shows are held at large convention centers and it's literally cash and carry. I fail to see how any sane person could support this.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Voter remorse. Thank God for the SC. :)

Save    
cecily 7A

Not voter remorse, a blue wave. Virginia is solidly Democratic now and much needed reforms can be made.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

lol^^^ Welcome to the next Chicago.

Save    
cecily 7A

Lurker, I'm waiting to hear your defense of same day cash-n-carry gun sales. You're criticizing needed reforms in Virginia without providing any substance. LOL is not a complete sentence; please use your words.

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Guns will always be sold in Va and I'm not the least bit concerned about that ever ending, putting into place some safeguards is not a bad thing. There will never be a Beto style "we coming to get em' '' approach here. My list of possible measures posted above is reasonable and the majority of my fellow Virginians including repubs could live with them.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

cecily, some people don't answer questions with inconvenient answers.

Save    
Delilah66

Registration has to apply to all purchases/sales not just to those transactions through stores. Limits on types of arms should also be defined. Note: I am not advocating no privately owned guns. I do not want to take away everyone’s guns so don’t go there.

Save    
lurker111

Lurker, I'm waiting to hear your defense of same day cash-n-carry gun sales.

It's called the 2nd amendment. Look at the results from the cities that have banned guns, or certain types of guns. How much proof do you need?

1 Like Save    
jama7(6)

JodiK

There are already Red Flag Laws in some states... you can Google the list. They open up an entire can of worms that can effectively crush several Constitutional rights we've all come to expect we have. These laws do not always work as intended. Some Sheriffs are refusing to enforce them, and with good reason in many cases.

And if those sherriffs refuse to confiscate and that shooter does what he was suspected he might do....kill people? I hope those sheriffs can live with themselves: not sure I could.

When will we learn??? Let's err on the side of caution and protecting lives. This is not permanent confiscation unless the person is proven mentally incomptent in some way. Where are the victim's rights? A LOT of worry about the rights of the gun owner but not the people they end up killing.

Do these sheriffs not see the lawsuits looming in front of them for refusing to confiscate the guns of someone who ends up injuring, killing people? Even if they CAN sleep with it, good luck in court. That's where this is headed.

Save    
HU-835802719

No, a sane person would not be for cash and carry at gun shows. Unless they are anti-life. The greater preponderance of Americans favor background checks including gun owners and even NRA members.

That just leaves people who don’t care about the sanctity of life. The anti-lifers.

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decluttering 4 Obstacles to Decluttering — and How to Beat Them
Letting go can be hard, but it puts you more in control of your home's stuff and style. See if any of these notions are holding you back
Full Story
Decorating Guides What to Know About Switching to LED Lightbulbs
If you’ve been thinking about changing over to LEDs but aren't sure how to do it and which to buy, this story is for you
Full Story
Remodeling Guides 8 Remodeling Costs That Might Surprise You
Plan for these potential budget busters to keep a remodeling tab from escalating out of control
Full Story