SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathyc_z10

CCRS rose auction

kathyc_z10
4 years ago

Thought you all would be interested in this! I made my day down the coast today to Oceanside for the California Coastal Rose Society's annual rare and unusual rose auction, my first time. I had a great time and learned a lot! It serves as a fundraiser to help the CCRS preserve rare roses. Today was made up of 5 speakers who educated the audience on the roses up for auction. There were tons of old and new roses, the majority not in commerce anywhere here in the US. The list of speakers is here and included Ping Lim (hybridizer), Bob Martin (President of ARS), Gregg Lowery, and others, including John Bagnasco, pres of CCRS, super nice guy. If you remember Vintage Gardens, it was just lovely to hear Gregg talk because he shared some history of that time and what the Friends of Vintage Gardens is doing now as well as interesting anecdotes on roses. All the speakers had something I learned from. I highly enjoyed it!

After learning about the roses, we could do some silent bidding in person. Tomorrow, Sunday, is the live bidding. I knew I would not be back Sunday for the live bidding so I sent in my silent bid sheet earlier this week... but then my eyes got caught on some I hadn’t noticed before… then as I walked out I noticed some other over there that I missed before… so all in all, I am a little afraid of what happens if I am the high bidder on all of them! Ha!

They had great roses in every class, from OGRs to microminis. They had roses that had never been introduced in commerce before such as Bob Martin’s own creations and one I should have bid on, Twinkle Little Star (Dave Bangs) that truly just glowed. They had roses from Italy (Barni) and Japan (Suzuki) and Scotland (Cocker). I was very interested in some of the Ralph Moore roses that you can’t find anymore such as Tiny Flame… well the list was long and my garden is small so …

Here are some pics!

A portion of the roses up for auction

Ping Lim's Red Captain. I had not heard of Ping Lim's roses before today, but they were very charming. If I understood correctly, they will be more widely distributed here in the US soon but very popular in Japan now, I believe.

I swore "no more" to hybrid teas, favoring more bloom now in my rose adventures, but I couldnt resist bidding on this Suzuki rose Aozura

A Barni rose that seemed really popular based on how many bids it had.. Silvina Donvito

I was interested in how this looked because I've never taken a chance on ordering any Barni roses from RU but tempted many times

Ralph Moore's Tiny Flame! His roses always seemed such fun.

Hope this was interesting!

Comments (18)