SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

Are all your hostas now dormant or put away for overwintering?

Well mine aren't!

What a crazy fall. Some of my hosta (ground or potted) were dormant but many were not. Last Sunday the forecast was rain and then overnight temperatures were to drop and inches of snow began overnight and into Monday. I was worried my pots would get waterlogged and then freeze. So I put them everywhere I could think of---some in the unheated garage, on the front porch, in a small shed, in a window well, in a homemade greenhouse and under a outdoor table. So we got the snow and the cold temperatures. Some of the pots have snow on them. Many still have leaves. My Touch of Class leaves are stiff, firm and hard. Now all this has never happened in the last five years or longer.

For my in ground hosta, I never had a chance to add the chopped leaves I was saving for the newly planted areas. I guess I just wait for the snow to melt, then throw on the leaves.

I am also still worrying about my pots. I guess I just have to cut the leaves off and start putting them away in their winter homes. It is supposed to be about 40 degrees for a couple of days on the weekend. That might be the right time. Hope all the rain and melted snow won't rot a lot of my hostas!

Comments (23)