SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ddinsb

Query re Hot Water

We have a hot water heater (rheem tank) that is not quite 2 years old. We've lived in this house for 20 years. We've never used/needed the circulation pump to get hot water to our faucets. When we did install the circulation pump, it took LONGER to get the hot water! In any event, about 2-3 weeks ago, the water started taking FOREVER to get hot. What maybe used to be 45 seconds is now about 2-3 minutes. When I call "experts" I'm told I need a circulation pump. When I point out that this is a new phenomenon, they say, "well it's getting colder." This is frustrating. We drained the hot water heater on Sunday because someone suggested it was build-up -- though we've not experienced that problem before, and the water heater is less than 2 years old. No difference. Someone suggested a "blockage somewhere" -- but then how would hot water eventually get hot and get delivered? Someone else suggested we turn the water heater up -- then we got much hotter water eventually, but doesn't decrease the amount of time it takes to get to us. So my question is, why would a system that's worked well for 20 years suddenly not work well? We are wasting way too much water as it is now. It's way more than a bucket full. Maybe several buckets. There'd be no room to shower with more buckets. I don't want to live in Green Acres.

Any ideas? I called the hot water people who installed it, and I thought it was under warranty, but they said that only covers leaks, so I'd still get a service fee.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!