SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purlina007

Kitchen reveal - Ikea/Scherr's/Marmoleum

purlina007
4 years ago

Well, here we are! We've been in the new kitchen for a couple of months and it has changed our lives. It's taken a year to get here but we were lucky, our old kitchen is in the adjacent room so were never without a sink or stove. We didn't tear out the old kitchen until we were up and running in this kitchen. Our new kitchen is where our garage used to be. The garage is now directly below. I can't say how impressed I am by my husband. He talked over with me every drawer, trim detail, everything was meticulously planned. It's been fun watching him learn and grow over the year to get to this point - and to not give up!

My super affordable kitchen line-up:Cabinet boxes are Ikea
Cabinet doors are Scherr's (who were a dream to work with!)
Countertops are Vadara / Blanco Piedra
Floor is Marmoleum's Green Wellness
Hardware is from Amerock

Lighting is from Besa (worked with the wonderful folks at Berkeley Lighting Company)

Tile and Viking oven came from Craigslist

Induction stove top was a floor model from a local appliance store

It's a step up kitchen and the step is getting built next week. So far, my 9 and 7 year old have not fallen (knock on wood). The book case is wider than the island cabinets and provides enough of barrier. So far, even during parties, it's been good. The best part about this kitchen is that we can bake and cook and not get snappy with each other. We can all be together helping and not be on top of each other. That really makes it worth it. And I do love the drawers. The marmoleum is so much nicer on our feet than the tile. And this kitchen lets in so much light - we can finally see the view that was only reserved for the garage. Clearly, I'm in love.

There are still some things left - trim here and there. My husband has the other shelves for the garden window but I can't decide if they should be evenly spaced going up or if the bottom one should be a little taller to accommodate taller things like wine glasses. And he has dreams of taking the cabinetry all the way up to the ceiling. But overall, the big stuff is done.

So much gratitude to everyone here who offered advice and help along the way - especially inspired by benjesbride (design help), Stillpitpat (linoleum confidence and overall just inspired by you), and Hillside House (your post on Barker vs Semihandmade vs Scherr's is gold and made my kitchen possible - thank you for taking the time to write that post).

Thank you!

Comments (35)