SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swiss_chard_fanatic

What to do above this 6" marble style backsplash?

swiss_chard_fanatic
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My apologies for the messiness and hideous yellow walls. It's 30 year old paint on plywood (yes, that is plywood, not drywall). Remodels are ongoing in this WWII-era house.

And yes the stove is getting replaced.

I went with Wilsonart Solicor Calcutta for the counters and I decided to do a matching 6" high backsplash. I'm totally in love with my backsplash and I've already paid for it, so I'm not willing to remove it to do something else. However, I've been stumped on what to do above the backsplash. So far I've thought of several ideas:

1. Just paint it the same color as the cabinets. But it's plywood; do I need to put something on top first? If so, to make it seamless with the area above the stove, it would need to be 1/8" thick. If it's thicker, then there will be a lip there. I'd like to avoid this unless I'm using tile.

2. Install white tiles with white grout. But what if I spash red sauce on the white grout? White grout is so easy to stain and in a bright white kitchen it would be very obvious.

3. Install very light gray tiles above the backsplash and use matching grout. But still...red sauce?

4. Go with a marble-look tile. I don't think this could work at all. If I'm wrong though, please let me know. I can't seem to find any examples of a 6" backsplash on houzz so that I can get some ideas.

5. Solid surface panels. Yes, perhaps, but do I go with white or light gray, and what sheen: matte or satin or gloss? The cabinets have a satin sheen. And then there's the lip issue again; solid surfaces are going to exceed 1/8" thickness I think.

I've thought of other ideas like stainless tiles, but it seems so bold, I think I'm too scared to try that one. I definitely don't like the look of translucent glass tiles or solid glass pieces either. I know I need something that isn't busy.

What do you think? Am I missing something? How do I know what will work and what wont?

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia