SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Some of the best - 2019

sara_ann-z6bok
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I’m trying to post my 2019 favorites, not easy to do! I will attempt a few at time!

ZAIDE- A very good rose, love the blooms.

DARK DESIRE- Keeps getting better and is even fragrant now!

Comments (56)

• seil zone 6b MI
    4 years ago

Champagne Wishes, new this spring but it really took off and bloomed all summer

Elle, the first to bloom and kept on producing all season

sara_ann-z6bok thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • seil zone 6b MI
    4 years ago

Julia Child, always a winner in my book

Love Song, produced several flushes

• Related Discussions

Moonlight Romantica, Best Hybrid Tea, Biltmore Int. Rose Trial, 2019

Q

Comments (3)
    Kate, I do have that one. 2019 was its first year for me. I have it in a pot. It seems very vigorous and disease resistant and produced quite a few blooms. I’ve been impressed so far, although I was a little disappointed with the blooms, I expect them to improve as the bush matures. It has a nice fragrance.
    ...See More

Best Books Read in 2019

Q

Comments (21)
    A good reading year for me in terms of enjoyment. Although the number of books was way down from usual, I had a number of good ones. By far my favorite: The Feather Thief - Kirk Wallace Johnson Followed by (in reading order): The Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Exploration - Caroline Alexander; Where the Crawdads Sing - Delia Owens; Plainsong and Eventide - Kent Haruf; Last Night at the Lobster - Stewart O'Nan; This Tender Land - William Kent Krueger. I do follow the monthly threads of What are you Reading? but it's nice to see a list of which ones rose to the top overall.
    ...See More

Best flushing toilets in 2019 and 2020?

Q

Comments (29)
    With all due respect to the many fine folks who contribute here, the sample size is just too small to be accurate. I have an Kohler toilet (model unknown) that rarely clogs but that doesn’t necessarily make that particular model of toilet a good “flusher” because we (and our bathroom habits) are all different. I have a neighbor whose kid, I swear, could clog a pit latrine, he’s constantly plunging. Another friend who seems to use about a half roll of toilet paper at a time (ok, that’s a bit of an exaggeration). The only way to really tell is to get a bunch of toilets, install them on identical plumbing systems, a flush consistent waste. That’s a job that’s a lot bigger than any individual.
    ...See More

Some roses in my garden 2019

Q

Comments (18)
    Bishop’s Castle (AUSbecks), a David Austin rose. Bred in 2007 (UK) and released in 2007 (US). The 3-inch cupped raspberry pink blooms have 41+ petals with old rose fragrance. This rose is a bit sensitive to powdery mildew in my garden, but with its great fragrance and abundance of blooms, it is in my like category. Helen
    ...See More
  • seil zone 6b MI
    4 years ago

Lowell Thomas was amazing! We found it buried in the front bed and thought it was dead until we dug it out and realized there were two canes growing on it. Potted it up and it bloomed like crazy!

Tiffany was also an early bloomer with some really beautiful blooms

• seil zone 6b MI
    4 years ago

Veterans' Honor had some spectacular sprays for an HT

Watercolors Home Run is always in bloom

Those were my stand outs for 2019. It wasn't my best year and not a great weather year but there were some pretty blooms just the same.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

First off I have to say Sara Ann your Savannah is so pretty. I think I’ve said it before but I hope mine starts to look like yours. She was new this year and her flowers were not very pretty, just a really gaudy, cheap looking color.

Mom, now I will try to post pictures of my favorites....hopefully I’ll be right back:)

sara_ann-z6bok thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Cream Veranda. From her first bloom I have loved her.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Sui Mei Ren. I hadn’t heard much about her so didn’t have much expectations but she was the very definition of shabby chic

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Princess Charlene de Monaco is gonna be a monster. I love her.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

And last, Carding Mill. Clearly the apricots stole my heart this year

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

First, I am so impressed with all these roses, but I have to say that I've got to get Caribbean Breeze. I was a bit leery of J&P's hype of this rose. I've wanted it for several years, and after seeing oursteelers' wonderful CB photos, I'm convinced she will be the loveliest little Augusta Luise in my garden. Oursteelers, those are some luscious colors on your roses--they look like ice cream to me, and that's a compliment!

Sara Ann, you've got some exquisite roses, and your photography is wonderful. Zaide, Dark Desire, Poseidon, and Quicksilver are favorites, especially lavender Poseidon. I love the color of Zaide--it's quite unusual.

Seil, what a lovely bunch of roses. I like the look of Bull's Eye, and Elle is gorgeous. I'm impressed she does so nicely in a pot.

Diane

sara_ann-z6bok thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • Ken Wilkinson
    4 years ago

Some of my best this year. My roses did very well this year. Especially with very little care (due to me being on chemo all season).

Julia Child. For a first year bare root, it was fantastic.

Molineux never slowed down. A great Austin. I like it enough that I now have 3 bush's of it.

• Ken Wilkinson
    4 years ago

Crystalline. My favorite white HT

Every time I got outside, the bush was always in bloom.

• Ken Wilkinson
    4 years ago

The Prince. It speaks for itself. And it smells great.

Scepter d' Isle. Sitting on the front porch, I was always able to see it and smell it.

• Ken Wilkinson
    4 years ago

Louise Estes is by far my favorite HT. For me, it has everything. Beautiful blooms on long strong canes. Tough beautiful foliage and smells really great. I couldn't ask for a better rose.

Ring of Fire. The longer I grow this HT, the more I like it. It blooms non stop all season.

• Ken Wilkinson
    4 years ago

One of the bouquets I took to the nurses at the infusion center this past summer. Moonstone, Let Freedom Ring and 1 lone Mavrik.

Another bouquet for the nurses this summer. Hannah Gordon never stopped blooming. I must have put 5 or 6 bouquets together just using Hannah Gordon this summer. Yes, the nurses really like everything I brought. It never hurts to make the people that has your life in their hands happy.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the compliments. So many gorgeous roses everyone. Seil, you have some real beauties, I think your pictures of Veterans Honor are probably what made me want to try it, while mine produced some pretty blooms it was a weak grower, I think I’ll try it again at some point.

Oursteelers, your roses are so beautiful and the soft colors look lovely, and I would imagine fragrant too. Caribbean Breeze is lovely and your pictures of PCDM remind me that I would love to try that one too, she’s so pretty. I hope my Savannah blooms continue to look good. The bush is very healthy. I almost wanted to cry, because it has several nice plump buds on it that won’t ever open, like several of my other roses, but that one made me especially sad, the buds looked like the blooms would have been really nice.

Ken, your roses are always impressive, some real beauties, love your Louise Estes, The Prince, Scepter’d Isle and Crystalline, they are all are gorgeous. Very nice bouquets too.

Diane, thank you, your compliments are always appreciated. Zaide’s color is unique, sometimes it’s much more pink than the picture shows. Whatever color it is, I think the blooms are prettier every year.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

So many stellar roses you guys

I am in awe.

I think that we had a pretty perfect summer and my roses were very happy

Here are a few of my favorites.

kristine_legault's ideas · More Info

Crimson Glory is brand new there is no way to get the deep two tone red color or the fragrance.

Twilight Zone in her fuchia stage

This is a non stop bloomer that is always covered in blooms.

Those are both Easy Does It

One of my favorites. It is still blooming.

Olivia Austin, honestly one of my favorite roses

Even the Bush is really nice.

4 years ago

Though thoroughly neglected , once Lavender Veranda got her permanent home she took off and bloomed her beautiful head off. Even though she is a Veranda rose her blooms are good size

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Very nice Kristine, they’re gorgeous! Love your Lavender Veranda! Olivia Austin is so gorgeous! I really don’t have enough red roses (LOL!), I need another one, would love to try Crimson Glory.

4 years ago

I have a whole red bed and still want Barcelona, a short dark red

Ingrid Bergman

Out of Rosenheim

Oklahoma

Darcy Bussel

I guess I love the reds

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

This was my worst season ever, but these stood out. Anything that bloomed was a standout. I posted these during summer.

Nahema. I'd heard she was fussy and didn't bloom much, but was I surprised. Fragrant, too.

Gruss an Aachen. Always reliable.

Poseidon was one of my most pleasant surprises. This is a very early bloom on a new band, and it was huge.

Princess Charlene de Monaco. Does anyone not like this rose! First blooms on a new band.

Sara Ann, your roses are always flawless. You your photos could convince me to try more HTs.

Seil, I haven't seen Apothecary Rose posted here in a very long time. That color is luminous. Watercolors Home Run has the most unique petals. I grow the plain Watercolors, also Carruth, but not nearly as pretty.

Oursteelers, you've put Caribbean Breeze on my wish list, too. I love your super close ups.

Ken, I'm glad your roses rewarded you with some outstanding blooms after a difficult year. I hope they continue to flourish with as little care as possible so you can concentrate on regaining your strength and getting back to good health. Louise Estes looks like more than a show stopper. She looks like a traffic stopper, as well.

Kristine, each one is beautiful. You've convinced us all we need Olivia Rose.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Oh, flowers, you have been hiding some beautiful roses. They're exquisite! As much as I love that big scrumptious Poseidon bloom, I have to say the Gruss is my favorite this time. That unique, swirly bloom has really caught my eye, not to mention its soft coloring. If you grew these beauties, you had a good season, in spite of the challenging weather.

Ken, I hope you're feeling well after beating the enemy, and your roses certainly are rewarding you with lots of beauty. Your bouquet is gorgeous, and I know the nurses loved getting such luscious blooms. Your The Prince is the best I've seen. Keep up the outstanding rose growing.

Kristine, what a variety of beautiful roses you have. Lavender Veranda's color is stunning. I didn't realize how lovely that one is. As usual, I'm in awe of your Olivia--I need to show my plant your photos; maybe it will get with the program. I love your reds, too, and wish I had more of them. Diane

4 years ago

This is a really great .thread!

This morning I came back to have another look and I am just so impressed with the beauty of your roses. Honestly, sharing these pictures makes me smile and even drool a bit

Ken, your Louise Estes is stunning and your The Prince!

Seil, I have Veterans honor coming thanks to you and your recommendation and pictures.

And your Watercolors Home Run is one of the coolest roses I've ever seen.

Oursteelers, , seriously I love your Carding mill and Princess Charlene. Those colors and beautiful blooms are .fabulous. I wish that my Cream Veranda was half as beautiful as yours

Flowers, I am sorry that this wasn't a great summer for you but in spite of it you managed to produce some real beauties. Your Gruss is wonderful ! Mine is never that beautiful unless it is doing the pink thing .

Poseidon, wowie! What a fabulous rose. It is such a winner that it looks like that in less than favorable conditions. It definitely needs to be added to my lavender garden.

Sara Ann, not only do you grow beautiful roses but you are a wonderful photographer. Honestly, most of your pictures are better than those in the catalogue.

I love your Neil Diamond so much!

Diane, your turn to add some pictures.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kristine, Love your reds! Oklahoma was new for me this year, I loved the late spring, early summer blooms, but the later ones had low petal counts, I hope that improves, it’s certainly fragrant! Ingrid Bergman is a real beauty!

Flowers, I LOVE your Nahema! That’s one gorgeous rose! Your Poseidon looks lovely, and PCDM and Gruss an Aachen too. My taste in roses is ever changing, while Hybrid Teas are my first love there are so many other types that are very appealing.. Really, there’s not very many roses I don’t like, that list would be short!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

I also am really loving this thread. We are still “leafing” and it makes all the work so much more enjoyable when I know it might help me to make my plants as happy as all of yours.

We have two mulchers and the lawn mower; the lawn mower clippings don‘t get shredded as much so I give those to everybody else and give all the mulchers clippings to the roses. Shhhh...don’t tell the hosta :)

Flowers, your Gruss and Nahema took my breath away. I am hoping so badly to find them on a deal the day after Thanksgiving!!!!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kristine, i didn’t see your post! I appreciate your compliment! I do love to see what I consider that perfect bloom and photographing it. Your roses look beautiful to me, and I think probably most people’s roses look better in person, there’s so many times that I wish I could capture on camera what I see in front of me, but it’s not easy!

Neil Diamond has been such a pleasant surprise, almost every bloom is perfect and it’s so fragrant, love it!

4 years ago

I know that it is one of Ben's favorites

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    4 years ago

I have enjoyed looking at this thread! Many great roses! :-)

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    4 years ago

Great thread - I love see everyone’s “best of 2019” list, which is a bit different than a “what’s your favorite” list (although I also like those!).

My 2 best performing roses for the year were Molineux & Bolero - they were the 2 with the best repeat bloom, that kept going into late summer & fall. Many of my other roses put out an occasional nice bloom or small flush, & I enjoyed them, but they often just sat there looking a bit pathetic (next year I’m going to try feeding them more frequently).

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)
    4 years ago

Here are some late fall pictures of my Molineux that was just planted this spring, starting from a 1 gallon own root - the pictures are from last weekend (early November). I know it’s nothing spectacular, but it’s all relative - for me, it’s a success!!!

First pic is the plant, second is of a bloom with that apricot blush Molineux can get in cool weather, last pic is more yellow blooms on the other side of the bush:

4 years ago

Cyndita, Molineux is so much better than mine. I am hoping for better results next year.

Sara Ann, I forgot to mention your Dream come true rose. It is incredibly beautiful. How is the rebloom ? I wish that I had a space for .it.

I don't know how I could forget Bolero. I love it so much that I have 3 and they are all wonderful.

Also Pretty Lady rose is bulletproof

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cyndita, your Molineux is a lovely rose, it’s just getting started, I‘m sue it’s going to grow Into a lovely bush. I need to be better about feeding my roses too.

Kristine, Dream Come True is a great rose for me. I have two of them. Last year I had one on multiflora, and ordered one on Dr. Huey this year, they both did great, they’re bloomin’ machines, one flush after another, almost always in bloom. A little blackspot, not too bad though. Lack of fragrance is its biggest flaw. I noticed It produces the most gorgeous blooms during the most moderate temperatures, but then, most roses do. That’s noticeable in places where it gets so hot, like here!

I really love your Bolero and Pretty Lady roses. Are they own root or grafted?

A few DREAM COME TRUE blooms, never quite know what to expect!

4 years ago

Sara Ann you shameless temptress, my goodness what a fabulous rose

Perhaps a pot for Dream come true .

definitely need to find a place for that beauty.

I believe that both Bolero and Pretty Lady are own root

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Gorgeous, Sara Ann--what a range of color and shading.

Kristine, that Pretty Lady is a stunner. Nice background colors with this rose, too. Diane

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Kristine, I’m happy to oblige! I have Grande Dame, which is similar to Pretty Lady, I think most consider Pretty Lady the better rose, I actually think the blooms are prettier too.

Thank you Diane, DCT is one I really enjoy.

4 years ago

Awwww, look who is still blooming

What a good girl

Olivia Austin

And My new Desdamona

4 years ago

Sara Ann, you should try Crimson Glory. The color is a bit like Dark Desire. The blooms are huge

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

Well, 2019 was an amazing year by the looks of these roses! Thank you so much for the beautiful inspiration. Just too many to thank you individually, so I’ll just say a big well-done to you all!

And hopefully 2020 will be as glorious (and maybe my babies will be big enough to post.) :-)

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

I almost forget this photo: ’Edith Schurr’ surprised me today with this incredibly fragrant bloom—

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beautiful rose Perma! I look forward to seeing your roses in 2020.

Kristine, you‘re quite the temptress yourself! I really do want to try Crimson Glory. What is the beautiful pink rose? Your Desdamona is lovely! I’m thinking that’s one of the ones Vaporvac saw in Tulsa that looked good, That’s one I’m considering.

Others are sure welcome to show your best or favorites of 2019.

4 years ago

Oh the pink one is Olivia. I better get it labeled .

Desdamona is a great bloomer for being brand new.

• User
    4 years ago

These are all so beautiful

sara_ann-z6bok thanked User
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kristine, this is my Grande Dame, this was in May, the only time it bloomed! Maybe it’s still adjusting from being in a pot for about three seasons. I put it in the ground in 2018.

4 years ago

Sara Ann, I can sure tell that Grand Dame and Pretty Lady are related. The color is pretty comparable. I hope she settles in and takes off for you.

I know that I have no room but I sure want Poseidon, Barcelona, Easter Basket, Rosie the riveter , Dream come true, Eustacia Vie and Spiced coffee.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Of course, I looked up the ones I’m not familiar with Kristine. i didn’t know what to expect with Spiced Coffee, it’s gorgeous! Is Eustacia Vie a new Austin? if it’s the one I saw, it’s lovely. I didn’t think I liked Rosie The Riveter that much, but BenT‘s is sure nice. I always enjoy learning about varieties I’m not familiar with

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Sara Ann, Eustacia Vye is a new Austin that won't be available in the US until 2021. It reminds me of a paler Augusta Luise, and I'd really like to grow this one. The other rose I'd like for next year is Caribbean Breeze which oursteelers grows and has photos of on this thread. I've read it's quite small, so maybe I can squeeze it in somewhere around here. Diane

sara_ann-z6bok thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Diane, Caribbean Breeze is gorgeous. I’ll look forward to seeing yours. Your roses are special! I’ll look forward to hearing more about Eustacia Vye while hopefully I’ll begin to gradually have better success with a few other Austins.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    4 years ago

Sara_ann, love your Dream Come True blooms. I got one this year and have noticed the blooms last forever on bush, but much less time in a vase. Any comparison?

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kentucky, thank you! Good to hear from you. I think DCT does last good on the bush. I guess I didn’t observe how good it did in the vase. I really do enjoy the blooms though. You are much better at making bouquets the right way than I am, mine are pretty haphazard! We need to hear from you more, Kentucky!