What's your favorite kind of ice cream?

perennialfan275

Me personally? Can't really say I have a favorite. I like pretty much everything! Cone or cup? Also, what about toppings? Or are you a "purist" (no toppings)? Finally, what do you like to eat with your ice cream (if anything)? Pie? Cobbler? Brownie? Etc...

SaveComment78Like
Comments (78)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amylou321

The ultimate ice cream dish? Warm gooey brownie(from the middle, no crunchy edges) , chocolate ice cream, hot fudge.

If its just ice cream, I like chocolate with oreo pieces mixed in. Again, hot fudge.

If I have to eat it plain? Chocolate. Dark chocolate if possible.

Mmmmmmmmmm

1 Like Save    
aok27502

Cold. That's my favorite.

But seriously, almost anything is just fine. Prefer a hint of chocolate, or all chocolate, or death-by-chocolate, but I'll eat it without. Topped, not topped, cup, cone, stick. It's all good.

Just please leave out the walnuts. They're icky.

Save    
Michele

As long as it’s chocolate it’s good!

2 Likes Save    
Judy Good

Warm doughnut sundae is my favorite sundae or turtle. I love butter pecan plain.

Save    
salonva

Ice cream is my favorite food. I am a purist (though if I have to, I can deal with it in a cup and hot fudge) and prefer a generous single scoop on a sugar cone.

Save    
arkansas girl

I was hoping this would be about the best brand. We had been buying Schwann's vanilla ice cream at Sam's Club but they stopped carrying it there. We were spoiled on that and nothing else even remotely compares to how good that ice cream is! We really miss it! I guess Haagen Dazs is as good but OH so expensive!

Save    
Michael

We don't purchase grocery store ice cream, but we do walk to a few local ice cream parlors (along with the grandchildren) and here are their favorites.

in order of preference

Handel's

Jeni's

Graeter's

Save    
Michele

We get the Trader Joe’s vanilla. It’s really good. My husband and I agree!! I just add cocoa powder and chopped pecans.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

The best ice cream comes from our local creamery...outrageously creamy stuff. So many to love, but one of my favorites is their vanilla with fudge swirls and dark chocolate chunks. I even asked what brand of chocolate they use as it's a perfect blend of dark and sweet....she told me it's just a commercial chocolate that they buy in 25lb chunks. I was like, I could go with that! But they also have other excellent flavors like their raspberry swirl with dark chocolate chunks or cinnamon or chocolate mint.

Unfortunately, they're closed for the season, so now I get by with Haagen Dazs Trio, which if you haven't tried it, you're in for a treat...two flavors of ice cream swirled in with actual belgian chocolate, so you get actual chocolate with the ice cream. Yum.

2 Likes Save    
aok27502

3 Likes Save    
ritaweeda

Although I really do love ice cream with chocolate, caramel, espresso, especially gelato, to me there's nothing that beats a very good vanilla ice cream.

1 Like Save    
eld6161

Ice cream is my favorite go to dessert, even while dining out. I "cheat" because I usually get a bite of whatever dessert DH is having.

I like french vanilla the best. When I want a change it can go to many choices: butter pecan, mint chocolate chip, vanilla/chocolate.

When in the city with my DD's there are many boutique ice cream shops. I am game to try some of the "weird" ones. One place had a cereal flavored icecream. I also like anything with salted caramel.

Save    
Marilyn_Sue

I like Black Walnut and vanilla

Sue

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I have tried nitrogen ice cream and it is very creamy, but the place I went had too many weird flavors so I didn't enjoy it as much, and it is $$. If I go again, I'm going to get a straight vanilla.

Save    
Okla Moni

We have BRAUMS here in Oklahoma. I think it's the BEST! I love their capuchino chunky chocolate in a waffle Cone.

At all other times/places, give it to me pure please, without soggy dough stuff.

2 Likes Save    
Elizabeth

Strawberry with lots of chunks of berries in it.

Save    
ci_lantro

Braum's German Chocolate ice cream is my favorite. Unfortunately, I live in Wisconsin now so it's been a long time since indulging.

1 Like Save    
Janie

Big Olaf! Its an Amish creamery on the west coast of Florida but our local little ice cream parlor over here on the north east coast of Florida carries it. Its fantastic and my current seasonal favorite is pumpkin pie ice cream.

Save    
Uptown Gal

Plain old Chocolate and Butter Pecan from a local Dairy back home. Can

almost taste it, just talking about it. A dip of each on a cone.

1 Like Save    
OutsidePlaying

Cherry Garcia and a close second is Butter Pecan. I don’t like anything with a chocolate base. A vanilla base with dark chocolate pieces and anything else is fine. I don’t eat ice cream very often, but when I do, it must be good quality. Handel’s is good locally.

Save    
jupidupi

Ralph's just closed for the season. Probably for the best, since it's half a block from our apartment. Talk about a danger lurking nearby! Their Lemon Meringue Pie gelato is to die for. In the off season, any brand of coffee ice cream suits me just fine.

Save    
roxanna7

Picture a tiny peanut butter cup, but filled with raspberry instead of PB. Mixed into red (not black) raspberry ice cream (not sherbet). Add chunks of semi-sweet chocolate. Now you have Maine Black Bear ice cream -- YUM!! Local ice cream place makes this and it is divine. Sadly now closed for the season, but something to look forward to next year. Red raspberry is very different from black raspberry, lighter and a bit tart and refreshing.

1 Like Save    
eld6161

Jupidup, I didn't realize Ralph's was a franchise. We have one the next town over.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I lean more heavily to sorbets and gelato rather than ice cream but if pushed, I am partial to rocky road and maple walnut. But my absolute favorite is the signature flavor of a local ice creamery - mora, or blackberry. That is OMG good, even to someone who is not all that big on ice cream!!

There are a fair number of craft or artisan ice creameries around here, many featuring a lot of less common flavors. But I have never tasted anything better than Mora's! They have seasonal specials - pumpkin pie, cinnamon, cardamom, eggnog, Jack O'lantern, cranberry sorbet - and in summer those could include mojito flavor, lemon and lavender, blueberry and peach.

They also have the most marvelous fruity sorbets - mango, pear, pineapple, pink grapefruit, raspberry, cantaloupe.

Save    
Lars

Coffee Bean Blast from Trader Joe's is my favorite to buy here, and so I try not to buy it.

In Italy my brother always got Pistacchio, and so I had to teach him how to pronounce it properly in Italian, although he was very resistant to learning any other Italian from me.

Gelato at Piazza del Campo, Siena. Kevin's pistacchio is on the left, and I am having cherry vanilla with nocciola, which is another one of my favorites.

My favorite ice creams to make include French vanilla, double chocolate with hazelnuts, and strawberry, made with fresh strawberries in season.

Save    
liira55

Tiger Eye is my favourite, but hard to find. Blueberry Creamcheese is another favourite.

Save    
wanda_va

I love Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia, but my new favorite is Breyers--half of the container is vanilla ice cream with Heath candy chunks and the other half is chocolate ice cream with chocolate-covered waffle cone pieces. Scrumptious!!

Save    
dchall_san_antonio

Haagen Dazs vanilla, but I can't afford it, so I buy Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla. This is all across Texas and some bordering states.

I like 2-3 scoops with a spoonful of Kahlua. I've tried a spoonful of just about every liquor. Most make a pretty good addition.

1 Like Save    
yeonassky

Licorice flavoured

1 Like Save    
Suzieque

Mine MUST have jimmies on it (sprinkles to those of you outside of New England). And, of course, real chocolate jimmies, Not the rainbow colored ones. So, I choose my ice cream based upon what the jimmies will taste good with

Save    
lily316

Chocolate salted caramel on a sugar cone.

Save    
marylmi

I like almost every kind of ice cream but especially like a good vanilla ice cream that is just a little soft/melted. Of course hot fudge and other toppings would not be refused.

Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

My favorite is my own lemon cream ice cream with fresh lemon juice and zest, and a bit of good vanilla. I like to serve it with cracked lemon drops (candy) and a short bread cookie. It's also so good as a sandwich between two triple ginger cookies.

The big favorite of guests is homemade peach ice cream, only made during peach season. Yummy with a tablespoon of peach brandy.

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Sorbets and granitas are my favorites. Apricot sorbet in season is heavenly. For ice cream we have the Tin Pot Creamery which is TDF. I love their chocolate and their coffee with cocoa nib toffee.

I like my ice cream in a small, house made waffle cone, otherwise a sugar cone will do. If in a bowl, please have one of those crispy fan cookies or a tuile with it. No toppings.

Save    
chloebud

Not a huge ice cream person but do find Baskin Robbins' Pralines and Cream hard to resist. I also actually like McD's soft vanilla ice cream.

Save    
lgmd_gaz

The best ice cream I ever had was at Cooks Dairy when we lived in Michigan. It was in fact a local dairy and the parking lot was bordered on one side by pasture. Often cows watched as I ate my favorite flavor 'Moose Tracks'. That flavor anywhere else doesn't begin to compare.

These days I am most likely to order a Turtle Pecan Cluster Blizzard at Dairy Queen to satisfy my Ice cream needs. DH is a big ice cream consumer at home. I rarely eat it at home.

Save    
Lukki Irish

I love ice cream and have several favorites, the only ice cream dishes I don’t care for are those that involve whipping cream and/or cake.

Save    
Olychick

If I see it at an ice cream shop, licorice is my favorite. One of our artisan ice cream companies made the best black licorice ice cream that I could find once in a while. Then, last year, I found it but it wasn't black, they'd kept the flavor, but skipped the black coloring. (probably a cancer causer or something, I'd guess). Well, the black apparently is what I enjoy about it, in addition to the flavor; it wasn't as good. I never buy or eat licorice candy, but remember eating licorice ice cream from my childhood so it's probably nostalgic for me.

Second favorite would be something with a lot of caramel swirled in, toffee chunks a bonus. No nuts, ever.

Save    
Lukki Irish

Igmd, you are so right!!! we live a few miles from the Cooks Farm and I have to agree, it is one of the best.

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg

I've been enjoying Blue Bunny little cones. They taste good and are so convenient when you want to control portion size.

Save    
marilyn_c

In recent months, it was been Blue Bell Buttered Pecan, but just lately, Black Walnut. I don't like sprinkles or syrup or anything on it, although I have contemplated maybe a root beer float with the black walnut.

Save    
marilyn_c

In recent months, it was been Blue Bell Buttered Pecan, but just lately, Black Walnut. I don't like sprinkles or syrup or anything on it, although I have contemplated maybe a root beer float with the black walnut.

Save    
Lucille

Costco Premium Vanilla

Save    
lgmd_gaz

Lukki Irish...wow! So Cooks is still there. It has been 21 years since we moved. Hope to make a trip back to MI to visit next summer. A trip to Cooks will be in the plans.

Save    
chipotle

Lars, we love Trader Joe's Coffee Bean Blast too. Recently discovered their coconut whipped topping. Adds a nice touch to a bowl of ice cream or hot chocolate.

1 Like Save    
desertsteph

Chocolate and Butter Pecan

those are 2 of my favorites. and orange sherbet. or vanilla with peaches.

can't find a brand I really like in my area. what I used to buy is no longer available around here. I did see Tillamook ice cream somewhere and might try that brand. that's the brand of cheese I usually buy. lately I've been buying HD - they have both chocolate and butter pecan.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Haha - easier to say what kind I DON'T like, which would be mint chocolate chip - & any other ice cream full of hard waxy chunks - and any of the cheap artificially flavored stuff.

3 Likes Save    
Ladydi Zone 7A NW BC Canada

I have only recently got hooked on Chapman's Black Cherry which has huge chunks of black cherry in a wonderful creamy ice cream. Love it!

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I don't frequently eat ice cream. But when I do, my #1 favorite flavor is Cherry Vanilla. Very simple, vanilla ice cream with maraschino cherries. It's getting hard to find.

Baskin-Robbins used to make it but no longer does. Carnation Ice Cream, sold in Thrifty's Drugs stores now owned by Rite-Aid, also used to sell it. An acceptable substitute is Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia, it's cherry vanilla with chocolate chunks.

Second to last place on my list are vanilla, chocolate, or some combination of one or both.

Last on the list - every other flavor.

Edit to add - I see the contribution just above this one, at about the same time. For me, the flavors of Black Cherry or Burgundy Cherry don't make it.

Save    
Lars

Elmer, I was surprised to find cherry vanilla in Italy. It's not one of my favorites, but I agree that it's not common here, and so I wanted to try it. I don't associate cherries with Italy.

I frequently put various liqueurs on my ice cream, generally nut flavors such as walnut (Noce), pecan (praline), almond (Amaretto), hazelnut (Frangelico), etc, and I also add liqueur to ice cream that I am making instead of vanilla, unless I am making vanilla. I have an ice cream maker with a compressor, and so I do not have to wait for a bowl to freeze. I pretty much only make it when I am having parties, and I haven't had one lately.

Save    
Lukki Irish

Yup, it sure is and it’s usually pretty busy. They have a website now with pictures of the farm , I bet it hasn’t changed much since you were last there.

http://cooksfarmdairy.com/

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Yes lars, I've had it in Europe too a few times but i don't remember where. Flavors there seem to be more traditional and less varied so maybe that's part of it? A flavor that's so popular there and so on the fringe of popularity here is pistachio.

I did a search (always dangerous) and found that maraschino cherries (a name I always thought to be Italian) originated from Croatia. Much of the Eastern shore of the Adriatic was part of the Venice Republic for centuries, and influenced by it thereafter (and vice versa), so I think that's the connection.

Save    
stacey_mb

I like any and all ice cream! The most delicious I have had were in Europe, especially one flavor that was, if I'm remembering correctly, mulberry. Very fruity, very fresh.

Save    
norsetex

My mom always said we have an ice cream gene. It definitely should have chocolate ice cream. I like nuts , hot fudge but want them in it not just on top. My altime favorite is Baskin Robbins Jamocha Almond Fudge. I like chocolate and butter pecan together , or their World Class Chocolate.

I enjoy cheesecake but haven't appreciated it in ice cream..and no cookie dough in my ice cream thanks.

Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

I adore ice cream! My favorite? Ginger ice cream (chunks of candied ginger in it) from Scoops on Martha's Vineyard. Second favorite is Graeter's Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip (really chunks of chocolate, not chips at all). Yummy!

Save    
glenda_al

Chick fil a's vanilla ice cream tastes like home churned.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I am with Moni I love Braums and that same cappuccino ice cream. My other favorite is no longer available it's Starbucks Java chip. I am not a big ice cream fan. I do occasionally have a soft serve at the Mexican restaurant.

1 Like Save    
Chi

I'm a big ice cream fan. My favorite is a seasonal Ben and Jerry flavor that you can only buy at Target. It's chocolate with marshmallow swirl and a salted pretzel swirl (my favorite part). I look forward to it every summer.

Save    
Feathers11

Dchall's response reminds me that I've been wanting to try Limoncello on top of vanilla ice cream. And Anglophilia, I'm on the hunt now for ginger ice cream near me. I love ginger.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Back in the day, Hood made one of my favorites called reverse chocolate chip....it was chocolate ice cream with white chocolate chips...I can only get that now with mix-ins.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

You do know that white chocolate really isn't chocolate - because it has no "chocolate" solids. It also doesn't taste like chocolate.

If you like the flavor of chocolate, you might better like chocolate ice cream with real chocolate chips in it.

Save    
chipotle

What was the point of that comment? So what if it's not technically chocolate? Reminds me of the milk/beef controversy. Seems to simply be a point of argument for some.

"Pastry chef and cookbook author David Lebovitz, an avowed white chocolate fan, disputes the idea that it's not really chocolate. "Bickering over the nomenclature becomes tiring," he said in an email. "We still call hamburgers by that name, even though they are not made of ham, and milkshakes actually aren't shaken these days, but blended. So I think it's okay to group white chocolate in with the rest of the variety of things made from cacao beans, since they all have the same base."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/for-those-who-think-white-chocolate-isnt-real-chocolate-have-we-got-bars-for-you/2017/11/24/24fb1ee8-cbc9-11e7-b0cf-7689a9f2d84e_story.html

Save    
Feathers11

Elmer, you are the ultimate buzz kill. I just can't help but luv you.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Just a public service announcement. If you like chocolate, you should eat it.

For most people, ice cream is primarily about flavor, not appearance. For kids, confetti ice cream or other multicolor types are fun. They'll know better when they're older.

Save    
amylou321

No, white chocolate isn't chocolate. But it is really good! And i think it goes well with anything that IS "real" chocolate. This from a certified, bonified, verified chocolate snob. That is, someone who is VERY picky about what goes with my chocolate. I hear there is a pink chocolate, which i was VERY excited about, until it was described as "berry flavored." I don't like fruit flavors with chocolate. I wanted some chocolate ice cream SO BAD today. (Thanks OP :op) But i am being good so i bought some Slim fast Keto Brownie batter shake mix instead. I am SO proud of myself, I think i deserve a chocolate fudge brownie sundae as a reward!

Save    
cooper8828

My favorite is butter pecan, followed by French vanilla. We have a great mom and pop ice cream place in town, but sadly they are closing. I might need to check out Baskin Robbins since I haven't been there in a long time.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

I have a trio+ of favorites, and can't name just one as tops: peach, real vanilla, and coffee (or coffee combos, like French silk or the "Viennese Torte" that Baskin-Robbins used to have). Generally I would say that I don't like ice cream with nuts, but I do like Private Selection Honey Pistachio. Occasionally I want chocolate chip, but that is as much chocolate as I ever want. No toppings for me, please. I do like ice cream cakes - frozen cake w/ ice cream layers instead of frosting; but that is a rare thing. Otherwise I like my ice cream just plain.

Elmer, was it Thrifty Drugs that used to advertise with the slogan "Such good ice cream" ? Funny that I remember that. I haven't seen Carnation ice cream in decades. Borden dairy products have recently reappeared, but I haven't seen any Borden ice cream.

Save    
kadefol

I love Talenti Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip. Expensive, but oh so good. I usually wait for a sale. Haagen Dasz Rum Raisin, ditto. HEB store brand Creamy Creations Butter Pecan and Java Chocolate Chip, delicious. And Dreyer's Mocha Almond Fudge is really good, but hard to find. We used to buy a Marzipan ice cream in Germany, it was vanilla with Marzipan and chocolate swirls. Wish it was available here, it was drool worthy if you like marzipan.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

elmer, I am quite aware of the difference between chocolates including white chocolate. It doesn't stop me from liking the combo of chocolate ice cream with white chocolate chips.

1 Like Save    
Fun2BHere

I was totally addicted to Talenti Stracciatella gelato last year, but they've stopped making it. I don't know whether to be sad or relieved. I have a local gelato place, but I don't think their version is nearly as tasty as the Talenti brand.

Save    
amylou321

Last time I went to Walmart I saw that they have a seasonal eggnog ice cream. Very tempting.

Save    
perennialfan275

Anyone a fan of ice cream bars or ice cream cake? I haven't had ice cream cake for a really LONG time but I remember having it at a party years ago and it was very good. Can't remember what kind it was though. I get a taste for ice cream bars every so often too. Also, has anyone ever had rolled ice cream? I didn't even know this was a thing until recently.

Save    
nickel_kg

Amylou, I do hope you'll try "pink chocolate" for yourself. I had some "Ruby" brand bars last spring and they were delicious. Slightly fruity but definitely chocolate, is how the taste struck me.

Perennialfan, I had rolled ice cream once at a local shop. It was fun watching it be made but for me it's a novelty thing, not worth going out of my way for. For your other question, ice cream bars are good for convenience, either portable or portion-control -- but given a choice I'd take ice cream in a bowl.

Save    
clt3

Mitchell's Caramel Sea Salt. Tastes like burnt sugar, all other caramel ice creams pale in comparison.

Save    
Lars

I remember It's It ice cream sandwiches in San Francisco, and they were sort of convenient to eat - a bit messier than an ice cream cone, but at least they were portable. They are also readily available in Los Angeles in grocery stores as well as some stores on the East Coast. I like ice cream sandwiches better than ice cream cake, which I associate with Baskin Robbins. Frozen cake is not as good as frozen oatmeal cookies.

1 Like Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

I love coffee ice cream, but I can't take the caffeine in the afternoon and evening. So I guess the next best is lemon custard. I also loved peach ice cream that we could buy from Sealtest every summer. I do not like anything added to the ice cream such as candy crumbles or graham cracker.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Sealtest - another name brand long gone from this area. Is it still around somewhere?

Save    
sprtphntc7a

Seasonal: pumpkin anything, cinnamon, peppermint

year round; cherry vanilla, with Bing cherries, coffee with some sort of chocolate, chocolate raspberry, fruity gelato flavors

i don't like any nuts in my ice cream, and usually get in a cup, no fudge, sprinkles etc... just ice cream :) now will on occasion go for brownie chunks, i mean who am i to pass up brownies ?? ;)

Dolly Madison - another name brand long gone

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Color Palettes Summer Color Combos: 8 Refreshing Ice Cream Palettes
July 19 is National Ice Cream Day, so scoop up these delectable combinations for sumptuous interiors
Full Story
Color Street Smart: Room Color Ideas from an Ice Cream Shop
Brooklyn mural inspires the use of playful watercolor hues around the house
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Ice Cream Tones
Surround yourself with summer thanks to the fashion-inspired trend of ice cream colors
Full Story