*Whistleblower* Was Biden's Guest @ State Banquet

catkinZ8a

Wow! Quite the CONNECTION he must've had to get the invite! Even TONY PODESTA was there--whoa!

Alleged whistleblower Eric Ciaramella was Biden guest at State Department banquet

by Daniel Chaitin & Jerry Dunleavy | November 07, 2019 12:53 PM

Eric Ciaramella, the alleged Ukraine whistleblower, was a guest of Vice President Joe Biden at a glitzy lunch in October 2016 to honor the prime minister of Italy.

Biden co-hosted the banquet with former Secretary of State John Kerry for then-Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi. Ciaramella, who is of Italian heritage, was among the U.S. officials who accepted an invitation. This week, the Washington Examiner reported that Ciaramella is now a deputy national intelligence officer for Russia and Eurasia on the National Intelligence Council, reporting to the director of national intelligence.

Ciaramella, a career CIA analyst, was Ukraine director on the National Security Council during the end of the Obama administration and remained there during the early months of the Trump administration, when he was briefly acting senior director for European and Russian affairs. He is now accused of being the official who filed a complaint about a July 25 phone call in which President Trump urged Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to look into a conspiracy theory regarding CrowdStrike and investigate Biden, a Democratic candidate for president in 2020, in relation to his son Hunter's business dealings in Ukraine.

The complaint sparked concerns about potential abuse of power and led to impeachment proceedings in the Democrat-controlled House in which witnesses have said they believe Trump held out on meeting with Zelensky and congressionally-approved military aid in exchange for political favors.

Ciaramella, 33, is listed among dozens of other people who were invited to the October 2016 event hosted by Biden under the category "WH EOVP," or the White House Executive Office of the Vice President, in an unclassified State Department document released through the Freedom of Information Act. An "A" appears next to his name, indicating he accepted the invitation.

On Oct. 6, the Washington Examiner reported the whistleblower worked with Biden during the Obama administration and is a career CIA analyst with deep expertise in Ukraine policy.

Out of over 400 possible guests for the State Department event, 115 people were listed as having accepted invitations, although key Trump-Russia investigation figures such as former CIA Director John Brennan, former FBI Director James Comey, former National Intelligence Director James Clapper, and former Attorney General Loretta Lynch all declined their invitations, according to the guest list. Other notable figures such as then-House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, former House Speaker Paul Ryan, then-Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, John and Tony Podesta, Colin Powell, and Condoleezza Rice received invitations too.

Besides inviting Ciaramella, Biden’s office, as opposed to the State Department or another entity, sent invitations to more than thirty other people, including Obama press secretary Josh Earnest, Obama senior adviser Valerie Jarrett, Obama Homeland Security adviser Lisa Monaco, Obama speechwriter Ben Rhodes, and Obama national security adviser Susan Rice.

RealClearInvestigations named Ciaramella as the whistleblower last week. The report cites U.S. officials who said the invite to Ciaramella, "a relatively low-level GS-13 federal employee, was unusual and signaled he was politically connected inside the Obama White House."

While Trump and his allies have called for the whistleblower to be identified, the whistleblower's lawyers and Democrats argue that the person's identity no longer matters. Still, Ciaramella's name has been invoked by GOP investigators as they question impeachment witnesses, getting his name on record.

Both Trump and his personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, claim Biden improperly used his role as vice president to pressure Ukraine to fire former top prosecutor Viktor Shokin, who was widely seen as corrupt, in 2016 to protect his son from an investigation into Burisma Holdings, a Ukrainian energy company at which the younger Biden held a $50,000-per-month position on the board. This stems from a 2018 video showing the elder Biden bragging about threatening to hold back $1 billion in U.S. loan guarantees if Ukraine did not terminate Shokin from his post.

But the European Union, the International Monetary Fund, and other allies had the same objective, and Biden was repeating U.S. policy that had been set out by Washington’s ambassador to Kyiv in the preceding months and was briefed by White House staff just ahead of the trip. Biden has accused Giuliani of spreading “false, debunked conspiracy theories” about him as he seeks the presidency.

Having taken a leading role in the Obama administration's dealings with Ukraine, Biden made six trips to the Eastern European country in eight years, including 2009, 2014, and late 2015. The last trip took place in January 2017. At the time, White House officials said the trip was to reinforce U.S. backing for Ukraine while the world prepared for the inauguration of Trump, who was expected to bring a pro-Russia stance to office days later.

Andrew Bakaj and Mark Zaid, lawyers for the whistleblower, refuse to confirm the identity of their client even as such high-profile figures as Donald Trump Jr. have named Ciaramella as the whistleblower.

"Identifying any suspected name for the whistleblower will place their family at risk of serious harm. We will not confirm or deny any name that is published or promoted by supporters of the president. Disclosure of any name undermines the integrity of the whistleblower system and will deter any future whistleblowers," they said in a statement Wednesday. "We will note, however, that publication or promotion of a name shows the desperation to deflect from the substance of the whistleblower complaint. It will not relieve the president of the need to address the substantive allegation, all of which have been substantially proven to be true."

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff has faced criticism after it was revealed the whistleblower met with an intelligence panel aide seeking guidance before filing a complaint about Trump's Ukraine communications with the Intelligence Community inspector general, and Schiff knew about it but did not immediately inform his Republican colleagues on his panel.

The Washington Examiner has reported that two ex-NSC staffers are now employed by Schiff. Abigail Grace, who worked at the NSC until 2018, was hired in February, while Sean Misko, an NSC aide until 2017, joined Schiff's committee staff in August, the same month the whistleblower submitted his complaint.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/alleged-whistleblower-eric-ciaramella-was-biden-guest-at-state-department-banquet

SaveComment75Like1
Comments (75)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lars(Z11a, Sunset 24)

"Alleged" is the operative word. I though the WB was a woman.

2 Likes Save    
Save    
maddie260

washington examiner is a rag

4 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

I have watched some videos of PM Renzi's state visit.

His command of English isn't the greatest with a noticeably smaller vocabulary than some other Italian politicians. (Like Trump, he has a limited range of words.)

If Ciamarella speaks any Italian, he would have been welcomed by Renzi.

Renzi's wife, an elementary school teacher, was delightful.

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

If that is the whistleblower his CV is quite impressive. It looks like he is an experienced diplomatic corps and intelligence community professional. He and trump obviously bring great skills to their respective positions. Right?

Save    
paprikash

He’s a good little democrat foot soldier

7 Likes Save    
jama7(6)

WOW, OMG....Finally it's proven that he and Biden are BF's!! The proof of the Deep State is now revealed!! OMG OMG OMGGGG!!!! And talk about revealing! A dem admin invited a lot of dems from congress ....another just....WOW!

He was one of 115 people who attended? Gasping and grasping....LOL!

"Out of over 400 possible guests for the State Department event, 115 people were listed as having accepted invitations,"

5 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Who cares who he his? Why’s it matter?

3 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

To quote a popular reply of some others here; yawn.

3 Likes Save    
Carro

Just goes to show the "wb" is a partisan hack and probably a boot-licking dupe.

3 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"washington examiner is a rag"

Your opinion that the Washington Examiner is a "rag" doesn't give us any insight to what you think the article got wrong. We can't learn anything from your comment.

If this article is in need of correcting, please help us out.

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

ABH, like you I’m not a big fan of attacking the source, without additional rebuttal. But I’m still left wondering why it matters who the WB is? At this point we have lots of testimony from “concerned parties” and for some reason refusal of testimony from three people who could really shed some light. None of which has anything to the WB.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

At this point we have lots of testimony from “concerned parties” and for some reason refusal of testimony from three people who could really shed some light. None of which has anything to the WB.

Really, then WHY didn't the "concerned parties" come forward with this information from the get go?

1 Like Save    
Chi

My only guess is they are hoping that discrediting the WB will invalidate the whole thing. I don't think it works that way, though, as we now have other testimony.

2 Likes Save    
Carro

When you can’t refute facts or post substance, abh...

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

But I’m still left wondering why it matters who the WB is?

It matters if people are pretending to be a WB. It matters to expose the lengths that Schiff is going through to destroy Trump. It ALL matters.

Trumps Life Matters!

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Blah blah blah. If you had any confidence you wouldn’t care much about the WB. Not like he’s someone important you want to drag down.

1 Like Save    
margaux

Keep up with the testimony. This has gone far beyond the whistleblower.

Save    
Kathy

All the evidence is real. WB or no WB. Reps cannot ignore what Trump has done if they care about their country. We will see which matters more. Their ego or their country.

I have my hunch already.

4 Likes Save    
Chi

If Trump is as innocent as he claims, there's no need to worry where the WB came from as the testimony will clear him, right?

3 Likes Save    
BetsyJ

Trump supporters wrongly identified ex-Obama staffer as Ukraine whistleblower — resulting in death threats

One person who was wrongly identified by Trump supporters as the whistleblower, according to the Daily Beast, has received death threats.

The person wrongly identified, according to the Daily Beast’s Will Sommer, is R. David Edelman — a former staffer in the Obama White House. Sommer quotes Edelman as saying that on Thursday, “There were people threatening real physical harm, alluding to the fact that I will not live very long. That was obviously upsetting for my family.”

Sommer reports that on Thursday, “tweets with photos of Edelman’s face surrounded by circles and arrows in a picture taken from his time at the White House

Save    
queenmargo

Sheesh, reminds me of Hillary with her comment "At this point it doesn't matter anymore"... they shoved the lives taken in Benghazi under the rug. Nothing matters to a lib unless they think they got a gotcha on Trump.

Save    
margaux

Explain why it matters.

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Considering what we know about the propensity for right wing violence, especially violence incited by Trump, the life of anyone suspected of being a whistleblower is at great risk."

Nonsense. The WB was the pretext for launching the impeachment show. He and his lawyers are important witnesses. We need to know how it happened that the WB went first to Adam Schiff and/or his staff, and why Adam Schiff lied, telling the American people that no such contact had taken place.

Nobody wants that WB kept safe more than Trump supporters. We want to hear him explain how he ended up with Schiff staffers, and how they "assisted" him in filling out the WB Complaint form.

Don't you want to know how many of the "new" WB forms (hearsay is OK) were filled out before Schiff's WB filled his out?

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

If that’s the case get over it!

Save    
BetsyJ

Nobody wants that WB kept safe more than Trump supporters.

Right

That would explain all the death threats.

5 Likes Save    
margaux

Nope. We just want to hear the testimony.

Save    
margaux

Don't you want to know why Trump withheld military aid from our ally?

5 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Nope. We just want to hear the testimony."

Exactly! We cannot hear WB testimony without the WB!!!

He has a story to tell, and we all want to hear it.

1 Like Save    
Save    
BetsyJ

Who is this "we" you speak of?

The republicans do not want to "hear". They are boasting about not attending the closed hearings, and have announced they will not watch or attend the public hearings.

If you are part of the "we" you are definitely the exception. And we know exceptions are not tolerated in the Trump administration

Good luck

7 Likes Save    
margaux

Mulvaney, Bolton, and Kupperman know what happened. They have ignored subpoenas by order of the WH and are asking the courts to decide. Do you want to hear their testimony?

7 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Yet another Radical Dem Haters' Hoax is collapsing in on them, lol.

1 Like Save    
margaux

Oh, yeah, Perry too.

Save    
foodonastump

Any hint as to why?

Save    
foodonastump

Catty - I’m fine with fact checking just Wondering why it should matter who he is

Save    
bleusblue2

catkinZ8a

Yet another Radical Dem Haters' Hoax is collapsing in on them, lol.

~~~

I wrote a few sentences in response to this and then reason took over. Why bother?

8 Likes Save    
jama7(6)

Repubs don't have anywhere to go with this so they're in the corner with their hackles up, claws out against the EVIL WB!!! This too shall pass as another outrage takes it place next week. Maybe Nancy will wear purple one day, the color of royalty which they will see as a challenge to King Trump!

So are Trumpers happy it's all finally going public?

1 Like Save    
cattyles

It’s a big, stinky dead red herring, FOAS. They can’t refute the facts and are attacking the witnesses. It’s all they have.

3 Likes Save    
margaux

I hope Trump's lawyers and Congressional defenders are as preoccupied with the WB as the Trumpers are here.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

I know, Catty. It’s just fun watching them agree with their non answers

Save    
cattyles

In case you can’t tell, it’s kind of a peeve of mine. :-)

I know it won’t change. I just find it interesting how different the thought patterns are in trump supporters. If I approve of anything Barr does, I’m called “fickle”. To me, it’s taking in facts and making an honest statement. It doesn’t mean I now approve of everything about Barr. “All or nothing” thinking is hard to defend unless you avoid factual sources and stick with those that aren’t factual but confirm the bias.

3 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Any hint as to why?"

Why what?

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

I’ve asked the question several times. If you can’t/don’t want to answer you don’t have to. No need to pretend you don’t know what I’m asking.

ETA - ok just re-read it I see a word was added. Clever.

Save    
BetsyJ

There will be no answer from the right since there is no defense for the indefensible actions of Donald Trump.

He has a story to tell, and we all want to hear it.

What story would that be?

We've seen the memo from the WB, that's probably the only story he/she has to tell

All the facts are being told by all the men and women who witnessed Trump's attempt to shake down the President of Ukraine, at the direction, no doubt, of Vladimir Putin.

Trump hasn't had an original thought since 1960

1 Like Save    
Ann

"This week, the Washington Examiner reported that Ciaramella is now a deputy national intelligence officer for Russia and Eurasia on the National Intelligence Council, reporting to the director of national intelligence."

Does anyone know if EUR is part of the National Intelligence Council? If yes, that means Yovanovitch replied to the Dem staffer that she would potentially be letting Ciaramella know of her email correspondence???? Below is part of the Yovanovitch email sent to the Dem staffer two days following the "WB" complaint.

"I would love to reconnect and look forward to chatting with you. I have let EUR [Bureau of European and Eurasian Affairs] know that you are interested in talking and they will be in touch with you shortly.”

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

GOP and its flacks have done a great job of whipping up fury against the whistleblower, to the extent that the unhinged among the president's supporters will attack and harass this person the same way the parents of Sandy Hook victims, and Kavanaugh's accuser have been hounded out of their homes and peace of mind.

And all this despite the fact that none of the whistleblower's allegations have been shown to be without merit. Quite the contrary, they have been corroborated.

So ignore this truth, why don't we? It's so much more fun to irresponsibly spread baseless ad hominem, isn't it? Scapegoats are meat & drink for the GOP & their ilk.

3 Likes Save    
jama7(6)

"I would love to reconnect and look forward to chatting with you. I have let EUR [Bureau of European and Eurasian Affairs] know that you are interested in talking and they will be in touch with you shortly.”

OMG...that DOES sound nefarious Ann! Hopefully the interrogation will show what she really meant! Or maybe it's more like the polite, everyday comments many of us make hundreds of times in our lives with people with whom we don't have much a relationship.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

OH OMG jama- sure wish you gave Trump those same benefits of the doubt. LOL

Save    
margaux

It's disappointing when you ask a simple question and it's ignored.

Is the question I asked earlier too hard to answer? I believe it's an important question.

Mulvaney, Bolton, and Kupperman know what happened. They have ignored subpoenas by order of the WH and are asking the courts to decide. Do you want to hear their testimony?

I think some would say no. Is shielding Trump more important than our national security? The party will not lose power. I think it strengthens the GOP if the Senators show that they will put country first no matter the personal cost. Trump can be replaced with Pence and I bet Nikki Haley would enter the race--and win. But if Trumpism is really just a cult of personality as has been proposed, all of our logic and reasoning flies out the window. There's no point in trying to make sense of it.

5 Likes Save    
queenmargo

There's no point in trying to make sense of it.

Then don't;)

Save    
margaux

I'm patiently waiting for the testimony and not fixated on the whistleblower. Try it!

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

It is a small world. All these people know each other, have the same connections and contacts. It is best to not get lost in the bushes. Don't go all wild eyed when someone hires the same lawyer once used by someone else or think there is some real connection because they were photo opted at a party somewhere. That goes for all sides. We need to stick to the facts. Facts are the Whistle Blower, who ever this person actually is will have all sorts of DC connections. Let us not forget that Antonin Scalia and RBG were very good friends and that did not mean they were colluding on Supreme Court decisions. Ratcheting down from good friends to common acquaintances the same thing has to be true for most people.

Save    
jama7(6)

ueenmargo

OH OMG jama- sure wish you gave Trump those same benefits of the doubt. LOL

"Polite, everyday comments" like many of us make is not what we hear from Trump. LOL

Save    
cattyles

RBG and Scalia could not have been more opposite politically. That doesn’t mean she killed him.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Just goes to show the "wb" is a partisan hack and probably a boot-licking dupe.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the WB work for Trump? So he is in fact a Trump guy.

Move on already! This WB thing is getting old, Sondland and Giuliani et al have done way more damage to Trump's claims of innocence.

If the WB was a friend of Bidens, that does not mean his/her words are lies, even drug lords and mob bosses are brought down by people with not much credibility as truth sayers.

2 Likes Save    
BetsyJ

even drug lords and mob bosses are brought down by people with not much credibility as truth sayers.

And people with not much credibility as truth sayers, it seems, can be brought down by drug lords and mob bosses.

1 Like Save    
2 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

WB was invited.

So what? I really didn't expect an invitation, truth be told.

Kate

1 Like Save    
Carro

The WB's allegations were fed to him, so saying they're corroborated is like the Steel dossier being corroborated by the news outlets he leaked it to.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

"Ciaramella, 33, is listed among dozens of other people who were invited to the October 2016 ..."

"Out of over 400 possible guests ..."

Just another squirrel

2 Likes Save    
BetsyJ

The WB's allegations were fed to him,

A whistle blower's allegations are almost always "fed" to the WB.

Investigators then start investigating, and find evidence to corroborate the allegations.

No one, especially in the Trump administration, is going to turn themselves in.

LOL. That's too far-fetched to even imagine.

How did Congress find out about Clinton and Lewinsky?

How did Congress find out about Nixon and Watergate?

Do you think Katie Hill turned herself in?

Congressional Misconduct Database

3 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

The Steele Dossier was investigated and most of it corroborated by the FBI and apparently other un named national security organizations in our government. Not only that it was never presented as all being true. This is very old news but I guess it needs repeating. Do we have to keep repeating the information about the WB's report as well? Surely that is recent enough for people to remember the details of that.

1 Like Save    
elvis

The Steele Dossier was investigated and most of it corroborated by the FBI and apparently other un named national security organizations in our government. Not only that it was never presented as all being true.

Oh, well, it that case...carry on. And on and on and on...

1 Like Save    
Carro

They still cling to the notion that the Steele dossier isn't phony.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Carro

They still cling to the notion that the Steele dossier isn't phony.

Nope, sorry. I don't think that is true.

The truth is: they don't care that the Steele dossier is phony.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

Elvis,

Source please that dossier is phony.

Save    
Carro

elvis, the Steele dossier, Papadopoulos and now, this "wb" aka leaker, were all devices to move forward with an agenda.

Pretense.

5 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Not only that it was never presented as all being true."

You are mistaken.

The FBI was granted “Title I” surveillance authority by the FISA Court, based upon the assumption the FBI had followed the Woods Procedures, which are not "optional."

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2018/02/04/exceptional-work-by-sharyl-attkisson-did-fbi-violate-woods-procedures/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://ethicsalarms.com/2018/02/07/the-woods-procedures/

FTA: Under the Woods procedures, each and every fact presented in an FBI request to electronically spy on a U.S. citizen must be thoroughly vetted for accuracy, and presented to the court only if verified.

FTA: The completed FISA application requires approval through
the FBI chain of command “including a Supervisor, the Chief Division
Counsel (the highest lawyer within that FBI field office), and finally,
the Special Agent in Charge of the field office, before making its way
to FBI Headquarters to get approval by (at least) the Unit-level
Supervisor there.”At FBI headquarters, an “action memorandum” is
prepared with additional facts culled by analytical personnel assigned
to espionage allegations involving certain foreign powers. Next, it goes
to the Justice Department “where attorneys from the National Security
Division comb through the application to verify all the assertions made
in it,” wrote Rangappa. “DOJ verifies the accuracy of every fact stated
in the application. If anything looks unsubstantiated, the application
is sent back to the FBI to provide additional evidentiary support – this
game of bureaucratic chutes and ladders continues until DOJ is
satisfied that the facts in the FISA application can both be
corroborated and meet the legal standards for the court. After getting
sign-off from a senior DOJ official (finally!).” …[There are] even more
reviews and processes regarding government applications for wiretaps
designed to make sure inaccurate or unverified information isn’t used.
In November 2002, the FBI implemented a special FISA Unit with a unit
chief and six staffers, and installed an automated tracking system that
connects field offices, headquarters, the National Security Law Branch
and the Office of Intelligence, allowing participants to track the
process during each stage.Starting March 1, 2003, the FBI required field
offices to confirm they’ve verified the accuracy of facts presented to
the court through the case agent, the field office’s Chief Division
Counsel and the Special Agent in Charge.

5 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Rabbit.

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

FTA: "Starting March 1, 2003, the FBI required field
offices to confirm they’ve verified the accuracy of facts presented to
the court through the case agent, the field office’s Chief Division
Counsel and the Special Agent in Charge."

Multiple FBI officials signed off on the "dossier" they put before the FISA Court. Oh to be a fly on the wall when the IG came knocking.

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Waiting for the IG report on this, and Durham's.

The lines of argument put up here by Trump supporters twist the information I've seen (in the few official documents available). They take a couple of facts and wrongly connect them - often by ignoring timelines.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"The lines of argument put up here by Trump supporters twist the information I've seen (in the few official documents available). They take a couple of facts and wrongly connect them - often by ignoring timelines."

What "lines of argument put up here" can you point to that illustrate Trump supporters are "twisting" information? What facts have been "wrongly connected" by ignoring timelines?

1 Like Save    
elvis

We could post the timelines in detail, and the leftist progs wouldn't read them. Or they would read and discount them. Frankly, it's not worth the effort.

Save    
Kathy

Have the Republicans read the transcripts? We know Graham hasn't. He told us so. What about the Reps on HTs?.

Save