FYI for federal employees or retirees

maifleur01

Facebook is the only place I see any information about the TSP that is part of my retirement. Some of you may need to check your account to see if you have the proper information and can actually comply with the new changes.

"Two-factor authentication will be mandatory in December 2019 to help protect your TSP account from the bad guys. Even if they know your password, two-factor authentication helps you protect your account against fraud by prompting you for a one-time verification code each time you log in.

To prepare your account, check to make sure you have a valid cell phone number and up to two email addresses on file and add two-factor authentication to avoid interrupted access to your account next month.

To add this security feature, log into My Account on tsp.gov and go to your profile settings."

Not everyone has a cellphone although most on here do. Some areas of the country cell phone coverage does not exist or is of the type you have to find the "good spot". There is also the little thing about having two email addresses.

SaveComment19Like
Comments (19)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catkinZ8a

If Lizzie's elected you can kiss it goodbye.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

If Trump stays in it will be used once again to cover government expenses. It was tried once and the court ordered the money replaced.

Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie)doineedtoaddanamehere(8a)

The wording of that sounds really suspicious. Is it for real?

Save    
maifleur01

Yes, miss lindsey if you are referring to what I posted originally. It would not surprise me if Trump would raid any and every place to further his causes.

Save    
Iris GW

Two factor authentication is being implemented almost universally. Get used to it. (and get on board) :(

Save    
maifleur01

While people need to get used to it there is a small problem that this one requires two email addresses and a cellphone. Many of the older set may not have either.

It would also be nice if rather than announcing in a mailing earlier this year that it was coming if they had said a date and the requirement of what you would need.

Save    
bob_cville

It does say "up to two email addresses" so it may well be a cell phone number and/or up to two email addresses and one of those methods will be used.

Save    
Iris GW

maifleur, totally agree. They need to be sensitive to who they're dealing with (older folks).

Save    
blfenton

What happens if you're not on facebook and don't have a cell phone.

3 Likes Save    

blfenton

2 minutes ago

What happens if you're not on facebook and don't have a cell phone.

———

That is what struck me as odd, along with the term “bad guys.” You would only know about it if you happened to see it on Facebook? And why the ever-so-casual language from an “official” government communication?

It honestly looks like a scam.

1 Like Save    
elvis

The kind of scam that naïve elderly people regularly fall for.

Why not go to the official website and get the correct information, just for fun?

https://www.tsp.gov/whatsnew/Content/index.html

Two-step authentication becomes mandatory in December — (November 5, 2019) All TSP participants must have validated contact information and use two-step authentication to log into My Account beginning December 2019. You can avoid interruption to your account access by adding these security features in your My Account Profile Settings now. Download instructions (pdf).

Two-step authentication helps protect your account against fraud. This login process is more secure because it means that online access to your account requires something you know (your account number or username and password) and something you have (the one-time code you receive in your email or on your phone). Someone who tries to log into your account fraudulently won’t be able to gain access without the code.

Save    
Olychick

I didn't read the pdf, but perhaps you don't need a cell phone. I regularly refuse to give mine out and they will call my home phone with a voice code (but they won't leave a message, you have to answer and get it from the robot).

Save    
maifleur01
Save    
maifleur01

Many people never look at their retirement accounts until after the first of the year so any notifications on the website would not be seen. The information is on the Bulletin Board telling that the two step becomes mandatory in December and on what Elvis posted. I too am confused with the need for two emails and a phone number because you should only need one. I am not aware of a land line that you can receive text messages on but there might be. https://www.tsp.gov/index.html

Sorry if some of you think I am posting spam.

Save    
elvis

Olychick

I didn't read the pdf, but perhaps you don't need a cell phone.

You don't. For heaven's sake, mai, go to the website and read. SMH. Forget FB, it's full of junk,.

Save    
maifleur01

Good By

Save    

No, I don’t think you’re posting spam at all maifleur.

I’m really concerned about the tone and language used in the Facebook posting that you originally shared, and by the fact that that posting has a link to a website that purports to be the government site.

I once got a suspicious email from a province that is not the one in which I reside asking me to follow up at the link if a certain tax credit is not direct deposited into my account by a certain day. When I called the provincial hotline the operator said they would never send a live link via email and gave me the address to report that spam.

I would suspect it is the same with the US government and Facebook. I can’t imagine that they would post a live link and ask you to follow it in order to verify sensitive identifying information.

So I would just proceed with caution, don’t share that post, and log in to your account through the regular website that you use rather than following the link in that post.

(I readily admit that I am NOT an expert by any stretch of the imagination.)

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Even the USPS is requiring two point verification now to hold your mail if you are going out of town.

Save    
blfenton

I don;t think you're willingly posting spam and it may not be. It could just be someone posting the information from the website as a service. But checking it on an official site should be the first step in verification.

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Togetherness Take 2: Is a Cohousing Community for You?
Missing that sense of connection? Consider the new breed of neighborhood with a communal bent
Full Story
Know Your House Insulation Basics: What to Know About Spray Foam
Learn what exactly spray foam is, the pros and cons of using it and why you shouldn’t mess around with installation
Full Story
Home Tech Off the Grid: Ready to Pull the Plug on City Power?
What to consider if you want to stop relying on public utilities — or just have a more energy-efficient home
Full Story